Israel-Gaza war
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 02:11:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel-Gaza war
« previous next »
Thread note
MODERATOR WARNING: Any kind of inappropriate posts, including support for indiscriminate killing of civilians, and severe personal attacks against other posters will not be tolerated.

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 301
Author Topic: Israel-Gaza war  (Read 211422 times)
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1125 on: October 08, 2023, 09:50:04 PM »

Still waiting for literally any hint of a workable solution to stop the killings from the people self-righteously insisting to me that I'm advocating for mass murder for wanting people to move a few hours west.  Since apparently it's obvious that this would result in hundreds of thousands of deaths.

You guys are ok with the status quo, where the terrorist group that runs Gaza gets to massacre tons of Jews and Israel isn't allowed to go anything about it.  How dare you accuse me of being the inhumane one.  Your unwillingness to consider any alternative to the status quo just indicates that you're OK with it.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1126 on: October 08, 2023, 09:52:00 PM »

You guys are ok with the status quo, where the terrorist group that runs Gaza gets to massacre tons of Jews and Israel isn't allowed to go anything about it.  How dare you accuse me of being the inhumane one.  Your unwillingness to consider any alternative to the status quo just indicates that you're OK with it.
Israel has been doing plenty about it for decades, at about a 15:1 ratio.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1127 on: October 08, 2023, 09:53:12 PM »

If that person is not a citizen then they should be deported

Not to pry, but if you are claiming for deportation of individuals based upon their country of origin, where exactly does your path to American Citizenship arrive from?

Personally, I think about some Great-Grandparents originated from including Ireland in the late 1880s at a time where "Thousands Are Sailing"...

Bit amazing how sometimes people convert to a new religion they become hardcore evangelicals, just like when people move to a new country try to adopt to being the most hardcore nationalists.

Without calling you out directly OSR, I strongly suspect that we have many Mexican-American Nationals living in Oregon for much longer than he ever set foot on the shores of America who will likely never achieve American Citizenship, because of messed up US immigration policy.

We can't help it that current US law allows people to buy citizenship for $1 Million that add very little value, while meanwhile we have a massive shortage of workers in all essential industries.

I am calling for that person to be deported because that person is a Nazi and we should not want Nazi Immigrants here . Simply put , we should not want immigrants who are Nazis or terrorist sympathizers to become citizens .

No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1128 on: October 08, 2023, 09:54:29 PM »
« Edited: October 08, 2023, 10:04:58 PM by Robespierre Did Nothing Wrong »

Will this type of rift expand to other countries or in more significant ways? I really hope and don't believe it will but either way it's unfortunate.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1129 on: October 08, 2023, 10:02:50 PM »

Still waiting for literally any hint of a workable solution to stop the killings from the people self-righteously insisting to me that I'm advocating for mass murder for wanting people to move a few hours west.  Since apparently it's obvious that this would result in hundreds of thousands of deaths.

You guys are ok with the status quo, where the terrorist group that runs Gaza gets to massacre tons of Jews and Israel isn't allowed to go anything about it.  How dare you accuse me of being the inhumane one.  Your unwillingness to consider any alternative to the status quo just indicates that you're OK with it.
Not Me, Us already gave you one, go check it out instead of b**ching about how he “misrepresented” you.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1130 on: October 08, 2023, 10:33:57 PM »

China likely not amused regarding the kidnapping of one of their citizens from the "rock concert" down in southern israel close to borders with gaza.

"The Chinese embassy in Israel said that a woman abducted by militants on Saturday was born in China and had a Chinese parent. In a post on its official Weibo account on Sunday, the embassy wrote “Noa was born in Beijing and is Chinese-Israeli.” It added that she had been attending a music festival before she was forcibly taken from Israel to Gaza."

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/10/08/world/israel-gaza-attack-hamas-news
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1131 on: October 08, 2023, 10:47:41 PM »

I watched all the Jews and Muslims protest today in NYC over the Gaza/Israel border. If only all those people cared the same about our border!
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #1132 on: October 08, 2023, 10:50:15 PM »

I watched all the Jews and Muslims protest today in NYC over the Gaza/Israel border. If only all those people cared the same about our border!

No particular reason to think they don't. It is possible to hold more than one opinion at a time.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1133 on: October 08, 2023, 10:51:57 PM »

No particular reason to think they don't. It is possible to hold more than one opinion at a time.
I mean they aren't passionate about it the same way or they would have been out on the streets a few weeks ago when NYC had a major migrant crisis.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1134 on: October 08, 2023, 10:59:16 PM »

I mean they aren't passionate about it the same way or they would have been out on the streets a few weeks ago when NYC had a major migrant crisis.

...how do you know they weren't out a few weeks ago? Did you memorize the faces of everyone who might've protested at that time? Have you been stealing phone location data?

Look, man, I'm more sympathetic to your take than many people here might be, but participating in a protest does not imply holding one position or another about some completely unrelated topic. People come out when an organization exists, and not only for demonstrations about whatever topic matters most to them. It is possible to care about the Middle East and also about the border.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1135 on: October 08, 2023, 11:05:40 PM »

...how do you know they weren't out a few weeks ago? Did you memorize the faces of everyone who might've protested at that time? Have you been stealing phone location data?

Look, man, I'm more sympathetic to your take than many people here might be, but participating in a protest does not imply holding one position or another about some completely unrelated topic. People come out when an organization exists, and not only for demonstrations about whatever topic matters most to them. It is possible to care about the Middle East and also about the border.

I think his point is one has a direct impact on every single American while the other is tangential for like 95% of us.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #1136 on: October 08, 2023, 11:06:47 PM »

If that person is not a citizen then they should be deported

If you do that in Melbourne, VIC, you go to jail now.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1137 on: October 08, 2023, 11:11:39 PM »

I think his point is one has a direct impact on every single American while the other is tangential for like 95% of us.

I think if there is a lesson to take from the first half of the 20th century it is that wars of conquest abroad are not tangential for 95% of Americans, even if they may seem that way.

It's also silly to look at a protest and ask "why aren't they talking about my pet issue?" There are thousands of things wrong with the world and millions of plausible solutions that might come from changing the policies or priorities of the American government. Protesting one bad thing does not make you complicit in something else. The reason people are protesting Israel/Palestine issues is that breaking news happened over the weekend, and not to distract from the crisis at the border or something.
Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -5.83

« Reply #1138 on: October 08, 2023, 11:19:31 PM »

why are you equating a border that's being crossed by terrorists crossing it to kill people and take hostages with a border that's being crossed by migrants crossing it to live a peaceful life away from the poverty and violence of their homeland
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1139 on: October 08, 2023, 11:20:17 PM »

“INTERNATIONAL GENERAL DISCUSSION”
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #1140 on: October 08, 2023, 11:29:35 PM »

The Supernova Festival

"It also coincided with the seven-day Jewish holiday of Sukkot — an agricultural festival of thanksgiving and a commemoration of the forty-year exodus of the Jewish people from Egypt."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-10-09/how-supernova-festival-was-attacked-by-hamas-militants/102950634

Burnt out cars line the site of the festival after the mass infiltration by Hamas gunmen. (Reuters:Ronen Zvulun)

Islamic Terrorists have simply murdered 260 innocent people in cold blood and then chased the remainder and taken a number (as yet unknown) of men and women hostage.
First1There
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1141 on: October 08, 2023, 11:47:07 PM »

The average intelligence of an Atlas poster goes down 90% when talking about Israel and Palestine.
It is similar to the effect of taking stupid pills.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1142 on: October 08, 2023, 11:52:28 PM »

The average intelligence of an Atlas poster goes down 90% when talking about Israel and Palestine.
It is similar to the effect of taking stupid pills.

It’s not just Atlas posters.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #1143 on: October 08, 2023, 11:56:30 PM »

Yes, I'd rather see a whole lot of people have to move across the border than see a whole lot of people get raped, murdered and killed.  If you're a decent person, you would as well.
Shockingly naďve take. Do you think the Egyptians *want* 2 million people predisposed to political Islam within their borders? There are far better solutions than whatever Risk strategy you've cooked up in your head.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1144 on: October 09, 2023, 12:08:34 AM »

Looks like a couple American Evangelical Fundis got caught up in the mix...

Reminds me a bit when i was living in Germany in the early / mid 1990s, working for the salvation army when the captain was telling stories about visiting the holy land, when his cars were hit by Palestinian teenager tossing rocks.

Reality is that many Palestinians living in the West Bank identify as Christian, at a time where "Jews for Jesus" was a thing, so whatever Atlas Christian Fundis might well forget how the whole scene played out amongst Orthodox Jews, including my older sister arguing with my evangelical christian dad.

Politics in this part of the middle east have lot less to due with religion, than ownership of land, combined with neighboring countries floating around after the post-colonial era looking for moral authority.

"Two Alabama church groups that were visiting Israel last week are stuck in the country, according to Facebook videos posted by the churches.

Rev. Thack Dyson of St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in Daphne, Ala., said in a Facebook live video from Israel on Sunday that he and his church group were safe in Galilee. He said many of their flights have been canceled, but he hopes they will return by Thursday."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/10/08/israel-gaza-strikes-hamas-netanyahu/
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1145 on: October 09, 2023, 12:09:42 AM »

Tell me how this isn't just base racism?
Hollywood
« Reply #1146 on: October 09, 2023, 12:15:16 AM »

Yesterday, our rabbi suffered a heart attack when he heard the news about Israel, because he was was worried his family might have been killed.  Everyone is worried, but they are mostly filled with rage and resolve.  Everyone is moving towards a more hardline stance.  Numerous victims are calling for the Bibi Netanyahu to wipe Gaza off the map, and the lout-cry has forced many leftists politicians to stand with the ruling party.  

Israel's reaction may disrupt their alliance with Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and Azerbaijan.  I assume that was Iran's goal, because they cannot allow the IDF to fly through those countries.  They also can't allow Israeli relations with Muslim countries to improve to the point where they are launching coordinated attacks. The prudent move for Israel may be to use the attack as an opportunity to strike a crushing blow to Iran instead of demolishing Gaza.  
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1147 on: October 09, 2023, 12:24:19 AM »

Yesterday, our rabbi suffered a heart attack when he heard the news about Israel, because he was was worried his family might have been killed.  Everyone is worried, but they are mostly filled with rage and resolve.  Everyone is moving towards a more hardline stance.  Numerous victims are calling for the Bibi Netanyahu to wipe Gaza off the map, and the lout-cry has forced many leftists politicians to stand with the ruling party.  

Israel's reaction may disrupt their alliance with Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and Azerbaijan.  I assume that was Iran's goal, because they cannot allow the IDF to fly through those countries.  They also can't allow Israeli relations with Muslim countries to improve to the point where they are launching coordinated attacks. The prudent move for Israel may be to use the attack as an opportunity to strike a crushing blow to Iran instead of demolishing Gaza.  

Israel and Iran destroying one another would be music to my ears.

Two fewer theocracies to worry about.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1148 on: October 09, 2023, 01:01:07 AM »

One thing I noticed is there is a lot less WW3 panic compared to the Russian invasion of Ukraine or even Soleimani's death. Seems twitter has finally stopped the doomcasting.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #1149 on: October 09, 2023, 01:03:33 AM »

The Maoists are fighting

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 301  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length