🇦🇺 Australian Indigenous Voice to Parliament Referendum (October 14th)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 07:50:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  🇦🇺 Australian Indigenous Voice to Parliament Referendum (October 14th)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14
Author Topic: 🇦🇺 Australian Indigenous Voice to Parliament Referendum (October 14th)  (Read 17471 times)
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: September 14, 2023, 12:58:23 PM »

The degree to which many Australians, Canadians, and New Zealanders have been so rapidly convinced that their colonization of essentially unsettled lands and establishment of great outposts of civilization there was wrong baffles me.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2023, 01:24:53 PM »
« Edited: September 14, 2023, 01:30:43 PM by GM Team Member and LGC Speaker WB »

The degree to which many Australians, Canadians, and New Zealanders have been so rapidly convinced that their colonization of essentially unsettled lands and establishment of great outposts of civilization there was wrong baffles me.

man what? https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/0/68AE74ED632E17A6CA2573D200110075?opendocument

range from a minimum pre-1788 population of 315,000 to over one million people
(so anywhere from 1/100 to 1/25 of the current population, at minimum, so probably larger than that. This is before the big population booms of the industrial era took off so that's actually quite settled!)

Even beyond that, wtf is wrong with you? The 1700s want their views on race and civilization back.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2023, 02:25:19 PM »

man what? https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/0/68AE74ED632E17A6CA2573D200110075?opendocument

range from a minimum pre-1788 population of 315,000 to over one million people
(so anywhere from 1/100 to 1/25 of the current population, at minimum, so probably larger than that. This is before the big population booms of the industrial era took off so that's actually quite settled!)

Even beyond that, wtf is wrong with you? The 1700s want their views on race and civilization back.

I didn't mention and don't care about race. As for 315,000 to 1 million, I consider 657,500 people inhabiting a continent size land massed to be essentially unsettled, especially when those people live in a primitive state. That's separate from the question of morality, of course, but I think the description is true.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2023, 02:31:09 PM »

Terra Nullius was overturned by Mabo thirty years ago.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2023, 02:32:08 PM »

Was that a cause of the cultural shift, or an effect of it? My impression is that (as evidenced by the History Wars) the shift was already substantially underway by then.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2023, 05:01:55 PM »

Was that a cause of the cultural shift, or an effect of it? My impression is that (as evidenced by the History Wars) the shift was already substantially underway by then.

An academic shift might've been underway, but this was the first significant decision that had actually gone the way of First Nations people.
Reactionary Libertarian
ReactionaryLibertarian
United States

« Reply #81 on: September 14, 2023, 07:29:14 PM »

Sad indeed.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #82 on: September 14, 2023, 08:52:26 PM »

Sad indeed.

Does this also include the hundreds and thousands of First Nations people who were massacred?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #83 on: September 14, 2023, 09:19:40 PM »

In other news, Warren Mundine continues to prove to the world that he has zero principles other than self advancement:

"Warren Mundine would ‘consider seeking’ spot on Voice"

I'm not sure how this follows. Is your belief that the Indigenous Voice to Parliament should only represent those indigenous people who voted for it?
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #84 on: September 15, 2023, 12:31:27 AM »
« Edited: September 15, 2023, 01:21:42 AM by Meclazine »

But I'm a convict.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #85 on: September 15, 2023, 03:34:31 AM »
« Edited: September 15, 2023, 04:33:07 AM by Meclazine »

Linda Burney replies to Jacinta Price's speech on colonisation.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-09-15/linda-burney-feels-betrayed-by-price-colonisation-comments/102859658

Minister for Indigenous Australians Linda Burney says she has been treated "appallingly" during the debate of the Voice. (ABC News: Nick Haggarty)

"The idea that colonisation in any country where there's been a colonisation process doesn't have long and far-reaching effects is simply wrong," she said.

At the start of the Voice referendum process, Linda Burney lost her voice coincidentally.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #86 on: September 15, 2023, 06:12:00 AM »

In other news, Warren Mundine continues to prove to the world that he has zero principles other than self advancement:

"Warren Mundine would ‘consider seeking’ spot on Voice"

I'm not sure how this follows. Is your belief that the Indigenous Voice to Parliament should only represent those indigenous people who voted for it?

I imagine GoTfan is merely entertained at Warren Mundine’s continued hilarious spinelessness. The man was a Labor acolyte from the 90s, even rising to federal Chairman in ‘06! (as consolation for losing Preselection in ‘04). He then threw a hissy fit in ‘12 after Bob Carr was appointed to Arbib’s senate seat which he thought he was entitled to. Tony Abbott then gave him a plumb 6 figure job on an advisory committee and he suddenly became a devoted Liberal! And after 6 years of toadying to whoever won the leadership spill ScoMo awarded his loyalty with selection for a House seat on the south coast he’d never once lived in or had any connection to. The mess ended up splitting the Coalition vote between 3 candidates, which shockingly made it the only seat Liberals properly lost to Labor in 2019.

Warren Mundine is continuing his habits. He supported the Voice at Uluṟu in 2019, pushed for Turnbull to call a referendum on it, and only now has suddenly decided it’s the worst thing ever and must be voted down. Oh but if the voice passes he’ll gladly serve on a body he strongly opposed to be created!
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2023, 04:42:43 AM »
« Edited: September 16, 2023, 10:19:01 PM by Meclazine »

9 September 2023

Polls show the NO vote has surpassed the YES vote. (ABC.net.au)

Fatima Faqiri and her Hazara friend doorknock in their neighbourhood in surburban Perth for the Yes campaign.(ABC News: Zathia Bazeer)

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-09-16/everyday-australians-to-shape-indigenous-voice-referendum/102849430

"Ms Faqiri said she could empathise with Indigenous Australians due to her community's experience of being persecuted by the Taliban in Afghanistan."

Fatima said "misinformation was running rife".

Meanwhile, in South Australia, the Liberal leader, David Speirs, spoke about the chances of the referendum getting up in his home state.

He opposes the Voice, said he would "almost bet his house" on the referendum being rejected by voters in his home state.

The 'Walk for Yes' event is one of several major campaign rallies to have been held in Adelaide.(ABC News: Viki Ntafillis)

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-09-16/sa-yes-campaign-referendum-march/102864664

"The writing is on the wall," Mr Speirs said.

"Public sentiment towards the Voice shows it will likely be defeated."

"People are sick of inner city elites intent on dividing our nation based on labels."

The No campaign said it would be in South Australia on Tuesday to "prosecute the reasons why the Voice to Parliament ... is built on a falsehood".
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2023, 08:02:30 AM »

The cultural shift that it was produced by (and which it then intensified) was the idea that Aboriginals should be treated as full human beings and that it was wrong that they were not for so long.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2023, 09:03:00 AM »

The cultural shift that it was produced by (and which it then intensified) was the idea that Aboriginals should be treated as full human beings and that it was wrong that they were not for so long.

A shift for which Keating was an utterly perfect personality to shepherd through.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #90 on: September 17, 2023, 01:01:37 AM »

9 September 2023

Polls show the NO vote has surpassed the YES vote. (ABC.net.au)

Fatima Faqiri and her Hazara friend doorknock in their neighbourhood in surburban Perth for the Yes campaign.(ABC News: Zathia Bazeer)

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-09-16/everyday-australians-to-shape-indigenous-voice-referendum/102849430

"Ms Faqiri said she could empathise with Indigenous Australians due to her community's experience of being persecuted by the Taliban in Afghanistan."

Fatima said "misinformation was running rife".

Meanwhile, in South Australia, the Liberal leader, David Speirs, spoke about the chances of the referendum getting up in his home state.

He opposes the Voice, said he would "almost bet his house" on the referendum being rejected by voters in his home state.

The 'Walk for Yes' event is one of several major campaign rallies to have been held in Adelaide.(ABC News: Viki Ntafillis)

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-09-16/sa-yes-campaign-referendum-march/102864664

"The writing is on the wall," Mr Speirs said.

"Public sentiment towards the Voice shows it will likely be defeated."

"People are sick of inner city elites intent on dividing our nation based on labels."

The No campaign said it would be in South Australia on Tuesday to "prosecute the reasons why the Voice to Parliament ... is built on a falsehood".

It will certainly reveal who we are: a country of unvarnished racists.
Germany1994
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #91 on: September 17, 2023, 04:17:33 AM »

Any hope left for the Yes side??
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #92 on: September 17, 2023, 04:43:03 AM »

No
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2023, 06:36:14 AM »

No + cope
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2023, 07:15:30 AM »

No. They've run the usual campaign that nice Australian liberals tend to in referendums, and seems likely to produce the usual result.
Germany1994
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2023, 08:11:39 AM »

No. They've run the usual campaign that nice Australian liberals tend to in referendums, and seems likely to produce the usual result.

What caused the decline in support for the measure?? As a German I don´t know all that much about Australian politics to be honest.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #96 on: September 17, 2023, 03:55:10 PM »

What caused the decline in support for the measure?? As a German I don´t know all that much about Australian politics to be honest.

Mainly a very well constructed fear campaign by the no side, active media campaigning for the no side, plus the fact that the average Australian doesn't really care about Indigenous people or actively hates them.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #97 on: September 17, 2023, 03:56:03 PM »

Why do you take such joy in telling First Nations people "I don't care what happens to you"?
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #98 on: September 17, 2023, 05:52:23 PM »

I would probably support this but it does really feel like a band-aid for a far bigger issue
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #99 on: September 17, 2023, 06:34:09 PM »

Why do you take such joy in telling First Nations people "I don't care what happens to you"?

the cruelty is the point
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies