FBI search warrant executed at Mar-a-Lago (Update: Trump Indicted!)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 06:29:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  FBI search warrant executed at Mar-a-Lago (Update: Trump Indicted!)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 131
Author Topic: FBI search warrant executed at Mar-a-Lago (Update: Trump Indicted!)  (Read 120268 times)
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: August 10, 2022, 02:27:05 PM »

I really love how the current "defense" being offered by Republicans isn't even that Trump is innocent. They're just straight up admitting that they think the President should be above the law.

If you had your way , many members of the Bush admin would have been arrested and even many members of other admin and our foreign policy would be crippled .

Should John Bolton be arrested for admitting he was part of plans of regime change operations in other nations

No, he shouldn't but that's different from having possession of plans about a future planned regime change in Iran or something. Also very few Democrats actually supporting sending the Bush family to jail outside of a few clueless terminally online leftists.

That is cause they knew though that if you did try to prosecute Bush on some technicalities it would open the door for every president to be prosecuted . BTW this does not mean Trump can’t be prosecuted under what I believe cause :

1. If this rises to the level of espionage than yes he should be prosecuted

2. He is also under investigation for trying to illegally overturn the election both Federally and in Georgia and I think this is something presidents obviously should be prosecuted for as well

He can't be prosecuted if they don't investigate him. The FBI is an independent agency run by a Republican.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #526 on: August 10, 2022, 02:27:36 PM »

I really love how the current "defense" being offered by Republicans isn't even that Trump is innocent. They're just straight up admitting that they think the President should be above the law.

If you had your way , many members of the Bush admin would have been arrested and even many members of other admin and our foreign policy would be crippled .

Should John Bolton be arrested for admitting he was part of plans of regime change operations in other nations
What if there was serious foreign policy stuff in the documents?

Well I said if this is to the level of espionage I would take back what I said cause yes I think presidents should be charged with that.
So if they said sensitive national documents that could jeopardize national security you would count that? Because they aren’t going to just disclose what was in those documents for….obvious reasons.

The theft or mishandling of classified information is often only an investigative priority for the DOJ when there's evidence that the person involved leaked the information or sought to provide it to a foreign government.

Among the documents Trump voluntarily returned to NARA back in January were personal letters he received from former President Barack Obama and Kim Jong Un.  I can understand why Trump would be interested in keeping those pieces of history for himself,  perhaps.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #527 on: August 10, 2022, 02:27:50 PM »

Beyond disgusting. Are we going to see outrage over this from Republicans of rank and file who pretend to be for law & order?

What these morons apparently don't understand how search warrants actually work. It's not Garland who orders this after being told so by Biden. The Justice Department and FBI gather evidence and submit this content to a judge. The judge then decides whether a search warrant is appropriate or not. In the authoritarian order they prefer, this could be solely done at the president's direction.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #528 on: August 10, 2022, 02:28:07 PM »

No, he shouldn't but that's different from having possession of plans about a future planned regime change in Iran or something. Also very few Democrats actually supporting sending the Bush family to jail outside of a few clueless terminally online leftists.

That is cause they knew though that if you did try to prosecute Bush on some technicalities it would open the door for every president to be prosecuted . BTW this does not mean Trump can’t be prosecuted under what I believe cause :

2. He is also under investigation for trying to illegally overturn the election both Federally and in Georgia and I think this is something presidents obviously should be prosecuted for as well

I mean the reasons that people wanted to prosecute Bush were also very flimsy and as you said would necessitate prosecuting most other presidents. It was just really a way for people to voice their grievances with the War in Iraq. Anyways, yeah I definitely think Trump's role in attempting to overturn the election and also in inciting the Jan 6th Capitol Riot are much stronger cases for prosecution than stealing classified information.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #529 on: August 10, 2022, 02:30:23 PM »
« Edited: August 10, 2022, 02:36:04 PM by roxas11 »

From a pure PR standpoint Trump made a huge mistake by pleading the fifth today

Not only does this make him look very guilty in the eyes of many he also completely stepped all over the GOP PR spin that had been effectively portraying him as an innocent victim of a political FBI

Trump himself famously said this about pleading the fifth in 2016....

Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #530 on: August 10, 2022, 02:31:05 PM »

Holy crap, put these people in jail.

off-topic
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #531 on: August 10, 2022, 02:32:09 PM »

FoxNews is going full crazy mode like they did before January 6, 2021. Then when something happens they'll be the first saying they didn't fan the flames and it's a stretch to talk about their responsibility in inciting violence.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #532 on: August 10, 2022, 02:33:47 PM »

off-topic

It absolutely isn’t. This is the furor Republican politicians are stoking, alt-right supporters are openly calling for violence on multiple forums and websites.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #533 on: August 10, 2022, 02:37:27 PM »

off-topic

It absolutely isn’t. This is the furor Republican politicians are stoking, alt-right supporters are openly calling for violence on multiple forums and websites.

What does that have to do with the FBI search on Mar-a-Lago?  The search isn't even alluded to in the voicemail LOL

Swalwell is being a drama queen and attention whore.  Two things he is already well known for.
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #534 on: August 10, 2022, 02:40:43 PM »

off-topic

What does that have to do with the FBI search on Mar-a-Lago?  The search isn't even alluded to in the voicemail LOL

Swalwell is being a drama queen and attention whore.  Two things he is already well known for.

I hope you never have to receive death threats where someone threatens to chop your children’s head off. If you want to put your head in the sand and ignore Fuhrer Don’s riling up of his violent base, then shame on you. The rest of us can’t afford to.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #535 on: August 10, 2022, 02:44:00 PM »

Yes.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #536 on: August 10, 2022, 02:45:38 PM »

What these morons apparently don't understand how search warrants actually work. It's not Garland who orders this after being told so by Biden. The Justice Department and FBI gather evidence and submit this content to a judge. The judge then decides whether a search warrant is appropriate or not. In the authoritarian order they prefer, this could be solely done at the president's direction.

Are we to pretend that Merrick Garland would have no knowledge that the FBI was moving to execute a search warrant on a former president's primary residence?  Garland didn't "order" the raid, but he almost certainly signed-off on it.

I'd be very surprised if Biden had anything to do with this or if anyone in the White House even knew about it.  Garland's job is to know about and stay on top of politically sensitive investigations so the president is insulated from them. 
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #537 on: August 10, 2022, 02:45:53 PM »

Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #538 on: August 10, 2022, 02:49:43 PM »

off-topic

I hope you never have to receive death threats where someone threatens to chop your children’s head off. If you want to put your head in the sand and ignore Fuhrer Don’s riling up of his violent base, then shame on you. The rest of us can’t afford to.

Crazy people exist.  Members of Congress got irate, threatening phone calls long before Trump ever thought about running for president. 

This doesn't sound like a credible threat, and there's no reason to think the disgusting phone call is connected to the FBI raid.  So it's off-topic in this thread. 
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #539 on: August 10, 2022, 02:53:54 PM »

Trying to compare the Bush administration to the Trump administration is really stretching it. We may never know what happened to lead up to Iraq, but Bush never once tried to overthrow our government nor did he rile up his base to threaten violence against law enforcement and members of Congress. But here we are, and his violent supporters genuinely believe this search was a political hit job to stop him from running for office in 2024.

Bush also never took classified documents with him back to Texas when he left office. The corruption of Donald Trump is on a level we have never seen before in a president.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #540 on: August 10, 2022, 03:25:41 PM »

iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #541 on: August 10, 2022, 03:27:23 PM »

DT: Not relevant!
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #542 on: August 10, 2022, 03:33:45 PM »

Eric Swalwell tweeting about what's on his voicemail is still irrelevant, yes.
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #543 on: August 10, 2022, 03:36:15 PM »

Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #544 on: August 10, 2022, 03:39:11 PM »

Wait DT, I'm lost.  Why is this a bad thing?
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #545 on: August 10, 2022, 03:44:57 PM »

Have you ever heard of "cause and effect"?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #546 on: August 10, 2022, 03:49:58 PM »

I hope all the deranged people making such threats get caught and serve a long prison sentence to send a signat that this kind of stuff won't be tolerated. That's the only way you can deal with this.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #547 on: August 10, 2022, 03:56:28 PM »

If Trump was mishandling classified information, then yes, the FBI should go retrieve that information.

If Trump was in possession of classified information, there's no reason that couldn't have been resolved cooperatively (or at most with a subpoena.)  Trump voluntarily surrended 15 boxes of documents to the National Archives back in January. 

Sure. No one knows yet what the warrant was for, but I highly doubt the FBI raids a former president's house if there was not something serious to it. I do not believe the conspiracies that somehow Biden is pushing the FBI to take out Trump before the next election. Biden probably wants to run against Trump again.

This is why we need immediate oversight and answers from the Justice Department on why the raid was conducted.  The DOJ seems to be downplaying the raid, which is not a very smart political calculation.   
Why can't Trump just tell us?

Tell us what?  That the FBI is on a fishing expedition and showed up to Mar-a-Lago to collect every piece of paper they could get their hands on?  He's already said that
He has a copy of the warrant and can release it.
As multiple posters have already said, it's unlikely the warrant contains any information as to why the search was conducted.

This is possible; however, if so then Trump should release the warrant and demonstrate that it's the case.  Just saying that it doesn't contain anything useful is meaningless.

After all, if it doesn't have anything meaningful, why would he want to keep it hidden?

Maybe Trump will release the warrant at some point, but Trump's attorneys are on record stating the warrant refers to a possible violation of the Presidential Records Act.  It's not like Trump's team is trying to quash it.   

Imagine taking Trump’s lawyers at their word about anything Roll Eyes
Senator Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #548 on: August 10, 2022, 04:23:20 PM »

This probably helps Trump politically in the short-term. Literally the majority of the GOP is coming to his aid as a result of this.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #549 on: August 10, 2022, 04:23:57 PM »

Eric Swalwell has in the past been criticized by the right for very similar alleged offenses as the alleged offenses Trump is facing from the FBI. It’s not irrelevant.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 131  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies