Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 12:08:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 180 181 182 183 184 [185] 186 187 188 189 190 ... 1172
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 931018 times)
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4600 on: February 28, 2022, 08:43:09 PM »

Someone somewhere mentioned that Putin intended his blitzkrieg invasion of Ukraine as the 21st century version of the 1956 Suez Canal Crisis that would be to the United States what the original was to Britain and France.  Clearly his gambit has backfired big time, revealing it is Russia -and not the United States- that can no longer be regarded as a true global superpower.  

Unless of course you consider the nuclear weapons stockpile it inherited from the Soviet Union, but then again so do Pakistan, North Korea, and Israel...and they can hardly be considered 'superpowers' in any real sense of the term.  

After the collapse of the USSR, Russia lost it's superpower status. Russia is still a great power similar to Japan, Germany, France and the UK.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4601 on: February 28, 2022, 08:44:49 PM »

He started it. And don’t pretend you’re unbiased, since you’re recommending all of his posts.
Well, if we're going down that road, none of us are really impartial, and I would be the first to admit that.
I am recommending those posts because I think Brazil has a right to follow a foreign policy that is in its self-interest, and I agree that a neutral policy makes sense for Brazil. In contrast, a reasoned anti-Russian strategy makes some sense for America.
Calling people tankies (Red Velvet is in fact too moderate to count as a tankie) is not very productive anyway.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4602 on: February 28, 2022, 08:48:28 PM »

Someone somewhere mentioned that Putin intended his blitzkrieg invasion of Ukraine as the 21st century version of the 1956 Suez Canal Crisis that would be to the United States what the original was to Britain and France.  Clearly his gambit has backfired big time, revealing it is Russia -and not the United States- that can no longer be regarded as a true global superpower. 

Unless of course you consider the nuclear weapons stockpile it inherited from the Soviet Union, but then again so do Pakistan, North Korea, and Israel...and they can hardly be considered 'superpowers' in any real sense of the term. 

After the collapse of the USSR, Russia lost it's superpower status. Russia is still a great power similar to Japan, Germany, France and the UK.

The problem with the Suez comparison is that Russia has NOT been treated as though it was an equal of the USSR, and is kind of trying to make it so that it is.
So it's very much reversed.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4603 on: February 28, 2022, 08:49:07 PM »

Someone somewhere mentioned that Putin intended his blitzkrieg invasion of Ukraine as the 21st century version of the 1956 Suez Canal Crisis that would be to the United States what the original was to Britain and France.  Clearly his gambit has backfired big time, revealing it is Russia -and not the United States- that can no longer be regarded as a true global superpower.  

You could make the argument that Russia is a regional power (Turkey, Italy, Brazil, Nigeria) that just happens to have nuclear weapons.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #4604 on: February 28, 2022, 08:51:45 PM »

In economic news the biggest beneficiary of the sanctions seems to be Bitcoin, which is up nearly 15% in a single day on almost unprecedented volume from both Ukraine and Russia. This sort of scenario is basically the ultimate use case for Bitcoin in both countries though; saving money from being seized by banks or rapidly devalued and putting it in a form that you can transport out of a wartorn country without getting robbed. While most markets have been in troubled waters the past few days the apocalypse portfolio of commodities, precious metals and cryptocurrency has been pretty much unmatched for returns. Small comfort compared to my cousins getting bombed and pushed back into poverty with crushing sanctions but you take what you can get.

Speaking of sanctions, not only ordinary Russians but Georgians, Armenians, Tajiks, Kazakhs, Kyrgyz and Uzbeks will pay the price for Putin's crimes as the poorer CIS countries are highly dependent on remittances from Russia. If they aren't able to work out alternatives (of which cryptocurrency is the most immediate) then we could see a crisis in Central Asia. The binary thinking of certain Westerners embodied in the people lecturing RV where anything short of the most extreme hawkishness is called "pro-Putin" will lead us all to catastrophe if not pushed back on.

In war news, some armed Ukrainians drove off looters

A tractor drove off with a Russian anti-air gun

and this person in Kharkiv found something they didn't expect in their living room

TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4605 on: February 28, 2022, 09:04:33 PM »

While the war from Russia is along the lines of Iraq 2003, the behavior of many Western liberals closely tracks that of Bush-ite "stay the course" conservatives at the time.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #4606 on: February 28, 2022, 09:08:27 PM »

He started it. And don’t pretend you’re unbiased, since you’re recommending all of his posts.
Well, if we're going down that road, none of us are really impartial, and I would be the first to admit that.
I am recommending those posts because I think Brazil has a right to follow a foreign policy that is in its self-interest, and I agree that a neutral policy makes sense for Brazil. In contrast, a reasoned anti-Russian strategy makes some sense for America.
Calling people tankies (Red Velvet is in fact too moderate to count as a tankie) is not very productive anyway.
And I object to the hypocrisy and self-righteousness of it as described by BV. Especially given how almost every country south of the U.S. in the Western Hemisphere supports the Western stance. Just sticking to this hemisphere, he is in the good company of Cuba, Nicaragua, Venezuela, Bolivia, Jair Bolsonaro, and Donald Trump. Great job! Roll Eyes
I call ‘em like I see ‘em and have absolutely no desire to go easy on tankies or any stripe.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4607 on: February 28, 2022, 09:11:16 PM »

And I object to the hypocrisy and self-righteousness of it as described by BV. Especially given how almost every country south of the U.S. in the Western Hemisphere supports the Western stance. Just sticking to this hemisphere, he is in the good company of Cuba, Nicaragua, Venezuela, Bolivia, Jair Bolsonaro, and Donald Trump. Great job! Roll Eyes
I call ‘em like I see ‘em and have absolutely no desire to go easy on tankies or any stripe.

Feel free to be critical of people's governments for any stance they might have. That can easily be done while adhering to civility when referring to fellow posters.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #4608 on: February 28, 2022, 09:16:12 PM »

Feel free to be critical of people's governments for any stance they might have. That can easily be done while adhering to civility when referring to fellow posters.

Should’ve told BV that, then. I’m not going to let sneering and condescension go unanswered by a Putinist or their fellow travelers.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4609 on: February 28, 2022, 09:23:00 PM »

You have all been wrong on the European Fighters supplied by Poland.
Ukrainian Pilots are Training at the 23rd Minsk Mazowieki Poland Air Base near Warszaw.

They are going to blow this big Russian Convoy North of Kyiv into little pieces.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4610 on: February 28, 2022, 09:24:13 PM »

In economic news the biggest beneficiary of the sanctions seems to be Bitcoin, which is up nearly 15% in a single day on almost unprecedented volume from both Ukraine and Russia. This sort of scenario is basically the ultimate use case for Bitcoin in both countries though; saving money from being seized by banks or rapidly devalued and putting it in a form that you can transport out of a wartorn country without getting robbed. While most markets have been in troubled waters the past few days the apocalypse portfolio of commodities, precious metals and cryptocurrency has been pretty much unmatched for returns. Small comfort compared to my cousins getting bombed and pushed back into poverty with crushing sanctions but you take what you can get.

Speaking of sanctions, not only ordinary Russians but Georgians, Armenians, Tajiks, Kazakhs, Kyrgyz and Uzbeks will pay the price for Putin's crimes as the poorer CIS countries are highly dependent on remittances from Russia. If they aren't able to work out alternatives (of which cryptocurrency is the most immediate) then we could see a crisis in Central Asia. The binary thinking of certain Westerners embodied in the people lecturing RV where anything short of the most extreme hawkishness is called "pro-Putin" will lead us all to catastrophe if not pushed back on.

In war news, some armed Ukrainians drove off looters

A tractor drove off with a Russian anti-air gun

and this person in Kharkiv found something they didn't expect in their living room

Its a shame Russia is doing all this. You know, if you want the sanctions to be over, maybe advocate for Putin to stop sending Russian teens to die in Ukraine for his own glory. It will be up to Russia whether they create a crisis in Central Asia, I hope they act responsibly.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4611 on: February 28, 2022, 09:25:01 PM »

Ukrainian Pilots are Training at the 23rd Minsk Mazowieki Poland Air Base near Warszaw.

They are going to blow this big Russian Convoy North of Kyiv into little pieces.
Source?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4612 on: February 28, 2022, 09:28:49 PM »

certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

« Reply #4613 on: February 28, 2022, 09:32:51 PM »

...Small comfort compared to my cousins getting bombed and pushed back into poverty with crushing sanctions but you take what you can get.

Damn, I'm not sure if the words of a teenager on a political blog helps, but I sincerely wish that they stay safe and out of harm's way.

DO IT AGAIN BOMBER Harris ANDRIY
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4614 on: February 28, 2022, 09:33:15 PM »

US officials believe a huge second wave of Russian soldiers who will be able to overwhelm the Ukrainian resistance is coming according to CNN.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4615 on: February 28, 2022, 09:33:44 PM »

I sort of wonder if the Suez crisis felt a little like this in real time. On one hand, the stakes here are obviously higher due to the extreme irrationality of the aggressor power. On the other hand, at least in this case there was already a general sense among sane people that Russia's glory days were behind it, whereas my understanding of the events of 1956 was that many people still thought of Britain as a more or less equal partner to the USA and USSR until it tried to intervene in Egypt and got soundly thrashed by a bunch of pissed-off Arab nationalist boat pilots.

The Eisenhower Administration played a major role in this however by effectively forcing the British to pull out way early by creating a run on the British currency as a result of UK WW II debt to the US. 

This effectively forced England to pull out way early leaving the French (over whom we had no leverage) and the Israelis who had achieved their goal of taken the Eastern Bank of the Nile River to basically cease military activities short of the overthrow of the Nasser regime.

Smiley
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4616 on: February 28, 2022, 09:34:32 PM »

Finally
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4617 on: February 28, 2022, 09:35:06 PM »

Source?
Politico Website! They have an Article on that. I also have a friend who has a friend himself who is doing Maintanaince on that Base.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #4618 on: February 28, 2022, 09:37:30 PM »
« Edited: February 28, 2022, 09:56:17 PM by Buffalo Mayor Young Kim »

You could make the argument that Russia is a regional power (Turkey, Italy, Brazil, Nigeria) that just happens to have nuclear weapons.
I’ve always assumed that a conventional conflict with Russia would be quite costly on the US/NATO side. (Infact, back in the Cold War the planners thought that the Red Army would quickly overrun continental Europe with sheer numbers, that’s why America never committed to no first use). After seeing the Ukraine operations, I doubt they fair much better than the Iraqis in the first Gulf War.

Obligatory disclaimer, nukes still means we should never, ever try it.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #4619 on: February 28, 2022, 09:42:48 PM »

TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4620 on: February 28, 2022, 09:59:23 PM »

Someone somewhere mentioned that Putin intended his blitzkrieg invasion of Ukraine as the 21st century version of the 1956 Suez Canal Crisis that would be to the United States what the original was to Britain and France.  Clearly his gambit has backfired big time, revealing it is Russia -and not the United States- that can no longer be regarded as a true global superpower. 

I’ve always assumed that a conventional conflict with Russia would be quite costly on the US/NATO side. (Infact, back in the Cold War the planners thought that the Red Army would quickly overrun continental Europe with sheer numbers, that’s why America never committed to no first use). After seeing the Ukraine operations, I doubt they fair much better than the Iraqis in the first Gulf War.

Obligatory disclaimer, nukes still means we should never, ever try it.

Beware, that Russia has not been fighting according to their training or typical tactics. In case we actually went to war with fought Russia, it would likely get very serious, very fast.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #4621 on: February 28, 2022, 10:05:05 PM »

Interesting analysis, it does make sense that it doesn't matter how many tanks, trucks, and men Russia throws at Ukraine as long as their supply, logistics, strategy, morale, and communication problems continue to be this bad:

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4622 on: February 28, 2022, 10:06:33 PM »

Interesting analysis, it does make sense that it doesn't matter how many tanks, trucks, and men Russia throws at Ukraine as long as their supply, logistics, strategy, morale, and communication problems continue to be this bad:

While I see that, I wonder whether Russia is learning from their past mistakes.
Catholics vs. Convicts
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #4623 on: February 28, 2022, 10:09:36 PM »

US officials believe a huge second wave of Russian soldiers who will be able to overwhelm the Ukrainian resistance is coming according to CNN.

This was bound to happen at some point. I guess we just have to wish that the resistance is able to keep some territory to operate out of and that the Ukrainians and the rest of the world can continue to make this as costly on Russia as possible.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #4624 on: February 28, 2022, 10:17:27 PM »
« Edited: February 28, 2022, 11:19:48 PM by "?" »

This was bound to happen at some point. I guess we just have to wish that the resistance is able to keep some territory to operate out of and that the Ukrainians and the rest of the world can continue to make this as costly on Russia as possible.

Rather conflicting takes.

I guess we'll see which one pans out pretty soon
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 182 183 184 [185] 186 187 188 189 190 ... 1172  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies