Temperature in Portland to potentially go over 110 degrees in place where many still don’t have AC
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 12:34:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Temperature in Portland to potentially go over 110 degrees in place where many still don’t have AC
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Temperature in Portland to potentially go over 110 degrees in place where many still don’t have AC  (Read 4703 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2021, 07:47:45 PM »

Yah it hit 115 today , and even being outside for 2-3 minutes felt super super hot . Hopefully This was the last of 100+ degree temperatures for the year though
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2021, 07:51:14 PM »

Anyone who loses their life in this disaster, their blood is on Trump's hands. These heat waves are being caused by climate change, which Trump exacerbated.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2021, 08:50:35 PM »

Yah it hit 115 today , and even being outside for 2-3 minutes felt super super hot . Hopefully This was the last of 100+ degree temperatures for the year though

Are you in western Oregon? It looks like the pattern might be moving out in the next day or two, though above normal temps will probably persist to some extent. But the 100s are probably over.

Eastern Washington and Oregon, from the mountains east don't look like they're getting much of a reprieve, and this pattern looks to expand into the upper Midwest and northeastern Rockies possibly all the way to Minnesota in the coming week or two.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2021, 09:29:10 PM »

Are you in western Oregon? It looks like the pattern might be moving out in the next day or two, though above normal temps will probably persist to some extent. But the 100s are probably over.

Eastern Washington and Oregon, from the mountains east don't look like they're getting much of a reprieve, and this pattern looks to expand into the upper Midwest and northeastern Rockies possibly all the way to Minnesota in the coming week or two.

Yah I live in  Portland
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2021, 09:44:32 PM »

Biden said he doesn't want to ban fracking and the Environment is going into Global Warming, this is why I was never a Reagan Fan, Global Warming started in the 80s during his leasing on oil and Fracking and Conservatives said he was the best Prez ever, NO
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2021, 09:45:32 PM »
« Edited: June 28, 2021, 09:57:18 PM by khuzifenq »

Do Americans, like us, indulge in the idiotic habit of opening the windows when it's too hot outside? You can keep a house fairly cool without air conditioning if you close the windows and especially the shutters so the sun doesn't come in. You're not going to see anyone (local) in southern Europe with shutters or windows open at midday in the summer.

edit: misread this post, but I have a similar opinion of opening windows in cold weather when it's already chilly inside.

Opening the windows at night is an underrated method of keeping cool and works wonderfully in the PNW. But it only really works if the air isn’t humid and the outdoor temperature drops below 20-25 C… which definitely wasn't the case last night.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2021, 09:49:21 PM »

The other thing to mention as to why everyone having aircon is not necessarily desirable is that it is an environmental disaster.

Heating is far worse, but I never see anyone complaining about that. If you try to take my AC away, I'll become a climate change denialist. Tongue

If you can’t survive in a climate without air conditioning, then you’ve either never adequately adapted to that climate or it’s simply not one that your body can handle. I say that as someone who spent the first 23 years of their life in Florida with barely any a/c and who now lives in Vermont without any a/c. It’s an environmental disaster and harmful to your ability to acclimate. Do hot days (and especially nights) suck? Absolutely. Personally, I can tolerate the cold much better than the heat so the Canadian border states are as far south as I’ll live now. But it’s important to let your body acclimate to your climate; if you can’t handle that, then consider relocating. A/c units should, ideally, be reserved for those with health risks or at least not be used by the general public until heatwaves strike.

AC should've never been invented. Facilitated the yankee demographic swamping of Florida and the south
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #82 on: June 28, 2021, 09:53:53 PM »

The other thing to mention as to why everyone having aircon is not necessarily desirable is that it is an environmental disaster.

Heating is far worse, but I never see anyone complaining about that. If you try to take my AC away, I'll become a climate change denialist. Tongue

If you can’t survive in a climate without air conditioning, then you’ve either never adequately adapted to that climate or it’s simply not one that your body can handle. I say that as someone who spent the first 23 years of their life in Florida with barely any a/c and who now lives in Vermont without any a/c. It’s an environmental disaster and harmful to your ability to acclimate. Do hot days (and especially nights) suck? Absolutely. Personally, I can tolerate the cold much better than the heat so the Canadian border states are as far south as I’ll live now. But it’s important to let your body acclimate to your climate; if you can’t handle that, then consider relocating. A/c units should, ideally, be reserved for those with health risks or at least not be used by the general public until heatwaves strike.

AC should've never been invented. Facilitated the yankee demographic swamping of Florida and the south

Go back to 1855, we'll be happy that you're gone and you'll like it more anyway
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #83 on: June 28, 2021, 09:58:22 PM »

You sound like Herman Talmadge

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/1980/11/18/the-end-of-the-talmadge-legend/2c99cd91-6365-4908-8248-84fd16d4d42d/

Pilloried mercilessly in the Atlanta newspapers, Talmadge bitterly charged in an interview that the suburbs were "poisoned" by the press with "thought control worse than the Germans had under Hitler."

Still, there was more to Mattingly's victory than suburbanites. Mattingly cut into Talmadge's lock on rural farmers, distraught over sky-rocketing interest rates and the worse drought in Georgia history. His inroads were slight but unprecedented. Even a Talmade, with his agriculture connections, couldn't make it rain.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #84 on: June 28, 2021, 10:00:33 PM »

1875, as we don’t want him to give the confederacy any tips due to his hindsight bias
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #85 on: June 28, 2021, 10:00:46 PM »

You sound like Herman Talmadge

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/1980/11/18/the-end-of-the-talmadge-legend/2c99cd91-6365-4908-8248-84fd16d4d42d/

Pilloried mercilessly in the Atlanta newspapers, Talmadge bitterly charged in an interview that the suburbs were "poisoned" by the press with "thought control worse than the Germans had under Hitler."

Still, there was more to Mattingly's victory than suburbanites. Mattingly cut into Talmadge's lock on rural farmers, distraught over sky-rocketing interest rates and the worse drought in Georgia history. His inroads were slight but unprecedented. Even a Talmade, with his agriculture connections, couldn't make it rain.

He was right
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #86 on: June 28, 2021, 10:09:25 PM »

1875, as we don’t want him to give the confederacy any tips due to his hindsight bias
Well, we all know he'd be happier in 1855 because slavery would still be around.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #87 on: June 28, 2021, 10:52:45 PM »

If it's hotter inside than outside then opening the windows will cool off your home. If it's not hotter inside yet, then yeah don't open the windows. If opening shutters is going to allow sunlight in then yeah don't open those, but open the other ones. Blinds are better so you can both open the windows and block light.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2021, 03:50:02 PM »

But climate change is just a Chinese hoax, right?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2021, 04:18:13 PM »

I can’t believe I’m relieved with a forecast of 95 degrees today but after the past 3 days it absolutely is a relief .
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #90 on: June 29, 2021, 06:57:32 PM »

47.9 deg C in British Columbia.

That is more like Western Australia in summer.

That is crazy hot.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #91 on: June 29, 2021, 08:10:58 PM »

Thursday morning lows and afternoon highs, looks like the coastal Northwest should finally get a break.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #92 on: June 29, 2021, 09:45:37 PM »

Climate change (everywhere around the world) is real.
If someone thinks this is a 100-year anomaly, they are out of their mind.
I'm not saying it will happen every year, all summer long, but expect it here and there.
We treat our environment (land, sea/lakes, air) like sh**, and we expect it to hold-up to the major abuse we ALL contribute. It doesn't work that way, and so we have this.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #93 on: June 30, 2021, 10:09:12 AM »

I haven't seen a single source that compiles all the deaths by location, but anecdotally, the distinctions are striking. I'm seeing some reports which give a death toll in the US of about 6-12 - that's across both Washington and Oregon. However, in British Columbia, the death toll currently stands at around 134. That seems like a huge discrepancy, especially considering the combined population of Washington and Oregon is 2.3x the population of British Columbia. Anybody know where that might be coming from?
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #94 on: June 30, 2021, 10:51:07 AM »

I haven't seen a single source that compiles all the deaths by location, but anecdotally, the distinctions are striking. I'm seeing some reports which give a death toll in the US of about 6-12 - that's across both Washington and Oregon. However, in British Columbia, the death toll currently stands at around 134. That seems like a huge discrepancy, especially considering the combined population of Washington and Oregon is 2.3x the population of British Columbia. Anybody know where that might be coming from?

I believe there's even less AC coverage in BC than in the Seattle metro area. That said, it's still very early and deaths from this heat wave are only beginning to be measured. It usually takes months for a proper accounting.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #95 on: June 30, 2021, 11:46:33 AM »

Ecofascism is the way of the future.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #96 on: June 30, 2021, 05:04:18 PM »

Ecofascism is the way of the future.

No stopping or limiting fracking is the only way to control Global Warming
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #97 on: June 30, 2021, 05:33:56 PM »

OK, when I made my original comments I was under the impression it would be just over 40 degrees C for one or two days, which is perfectly survivable without AC. I didn’t realise it would get quite as hot as it did; the temperatures it reached are simply unliveable.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #98 on: June 30, 2021, 05:41:05 PM »

First official report from Multnomah County is 45 heat-related deaths from hyperthermia, which is a brutal figure given that this is from one county. There will be plenty of old housing stock in Clackamas County and Washington County without A/C as well. Also, there was a 63% increase in 911 calls for medical attention on Monday relative to normal in Multnomah County.

Since heatwaves kill many elderly people for reasons not directly attributable to hyperthermia, this is likely an undercount. I'd guess that many elderly people will die of sudden heart attacks, strokes and the like that they'd otherwise not have this week.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #99 on: June 30, 2021, 05:49:52 PM »

For those who support the filibuster because it requires 'consensus' to emerge on an issue, these can be the consequences.

I'm not saying that global warming would be solved by now if it weren't for Republican obstructionism, and I'm not saying that Democrats weren't reluctant to deal with global warming in a substantive way for a time as well, but the filibuster isn't neutral, it favors status quo interests, and there are few, if any, more powerful status quo interests than the fossil fuel lobby
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies