Temperature in Portland to potentially go over 110 degrees in place where many still don’t have AC
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 06:42:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Temperature in Portland to potentially go over 110 degrees in place where many still don’t have AC
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Temperature in Portland to potentially go over 110 degrees in place where many still don’t have AC  (Read 4771 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: June 30, 2021, 05:51:20 PM »

For those who support the filibuster because it requires 'consensus' to emerge on an issue, these can be the consequences.

I'm not saying that global warming would be solved by now if it weren't for Republican obstructionism, and I'm not saying that Democrats weren't reluctant to deal with global warming in a substantive way for a time as well, but the filibuster isn't neutral, it favors status quo interests, and there are few, if any, more powerful status quo interests than the fossil fuel lobby

The reason the green stuff isn't in the infrastructure bill is cause Joe Manchin opposes it
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #101 on: June 30, 2021, 05:52:34 PM »

For those who support the filibuster because it requires 'consensus' to emerge on an issue, these can be the consequences.

I'm not saying that global warming would be solved by now if it weren't for Republican obstructionism, and I'm not saying that Democrats weren't reluctant to deal with global warming in a substantive way for a time as well, but the filibuster isn't neutral, it favors status quo interests, and there are few, if any, more powerful status quo interests than the fossil fuel lobby

The reason the green stuff isn't in the infrastructure bill is cause Joe Manchin opposes it

Republicans have been obstructing action on climate change for a lot longer than the Biden era.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #102 on: July 02, 2021, 09:14:29 AM »

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #103 on: July 02, 2021, 11:25:45 AM »

The other thing to mention as to why everyone having aircon is not necessarily desirable is that it is an environmental disaster.

Heating is far worse, but I never see anyone complaining about that. If you try to take my AC away, I'll become a climate change denialist. Tongue

If you can’t survive in a climate without air conditioning, then you’ve either never adequately adapted to that climate or it’s simply not one that your body can handle. I say that as someone who spent the first 23 years of their life in Florida with barely any a/c and who now lives in Vermont without any a/c. It’s an environmental disaster and harmful to your ability to acclimate. Do hot days (and especially nights) suck? Absolutely. Personally, I can tolerate the cold much better than the heat so the Canadian border states are as far south as I’ll live now. But it’s important to let your body acclimate to your climate; if you can’t handle that, then consider relocating. A/c units should, ideally, be reserved for those with health risks or at least not be used by the general public until heatwaves strike.

AC should've never been invented. Facilitated the yankee demographic swamping of Florida and the south

Ick. It's back. Gross.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies