Temperature in Portland to potentially go over 110 degrees in place where many still don’t have AC
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 07:47:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Temperature in Portland to potentially go over 110 degrees in place where many still don’t have AC
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Temperature in Portland to potentially go over 110 degrees in place where many still don’t have AC  (Read 4774 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 26, 2021, 02:50:51 AM »

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Portland+OR

This also in a city where over  30% of homes still don’t have AC and a large proportion of Apartments don’t either . Hopefully nothing happens to the power grid cause I have no idea if it was designed to deal with this type of a heat wave
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2021, 02:59:27 AM »

This also in a city where over  30% of homes still don’t have AC and a large proportion of Apartments don’t either . Hopefully nothing happens to the power grid cause I have no idea if it was designed to deal with this type of a heat wave

A lot of places in the Northeast have emergency connection with Canada's power grid for this sort of situation (hence blackouts there are relatively rare), hopefully this is the case there as well given you're still fairly close to Canada. 

Be sure to stay hydrated (of course) and if it's not too hard on your teeth, chew some ice if it gets too bad--that can keep your core temperature under control.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2021, 03:04:46 AM »

A lot of places in the Northeast have emergency connection with Canada's power grid for this sort of situation (hence blackouts there are relatively rare), hopefully this is the case there as well given you're still fairly close to Canada.  

Be sure to stay hydrated (of course) and if it's not too hard on your teeth, chew some ice if it gets too bad--that can keep your core temperature under control.

The problem is Vancouver BC is also expected to have a massive heat wave too for their standards as well  : https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/3301c6955703c37736acef44908dda22ec8171d1c6a698fba3d595e3e71254ea

While it won’t be as bad as Portland and Seattle , it probably is still very bad for them as well . Thanks for the advice as well Hammy
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2021, 03:31:22 AM »

I think if you don't have at least one window AC unit in your home, you're just being stupid. Maybe it's just hard for me to understand how people can live without AC in this country. A basic 5000 BTU window unit is less $150 and it'll cool most bedrooms easily. There's no part of this country that is immune to occasional oppressive heat waves nowadays. In terms of the power grid, we do need significant modernization, but at least the rest of the country isn't Texas. That 5000 BTU window AC I mentioned only uses about 450W (although being an AC, it briefly requires significantly higher wattage to start the compressor), whereas the average space heater draws about 1500W. I suppose part of the difference is that AC runs on the power grid, whereas heating potentially comes from a variety of sources.

I'm not trying to be harsh, but this isn't the first heat wave in recent years in a place with relatively low AC usage. If you don't have AC, make sure the fans are going, stay hydrated, and just try to take it easy and avoid expending energy. A cold shower or cool bath can help if overheated as well.

The report I saw showed 115F for Monday. That is jaw-dropping for that part of the country. I suppose the one positive is that the temperatures will drop significantly at night, unlike cities like Phoenix, Las Vegas, or all the humid ones in the South and East.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2021, 04:10:07 AM »

Really awful to see that shading on there during summer--literally the only times I've ever seen it were in the dead of winter where you get a blocking pattern and 70s for a few days in areas that are usually much colder.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2021, 05:07:05 AM »

Many places in Europe deal with temperatures like this a few days a year without many people having aircon. You just have to rough it.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2021, 05:37:03 AM »

On a similar note to Alcibiades yeah, I am surprised at OSR and politicallefty defining 70% of households having AC as a low percentage of households, and AC as an absolute must have Tongue

Here in Spain (not exactly a cold place), even in the places with the highest AC penetration, depending on who you ask, 50-70% of homes have air conditioning! And like I say this is in cities like Cordoba, Sevilla or Badajoz, which routinely see temperatures over 105F multiple times a year (and over 110 at least a handful of times)

If you are one of the unlucky 30% who does not have AC under these conditions, sadly you just have to rough it out. If you can get even a fan that will do a lot to improve your quality of living during a heat wave. Full AC would be better of course but even just a fan is a big improvement.

In any case if anyone in Atlas is part of that unlucky 30% of Oregonians, take the usual precautions. Drink a lot of water, avoid going outside between roughly noon and 6pm, close your blinds/curtains during the day (especially those where the sun is hitting, so east-facing blinds in the morning and west-facing blinds in the afternoon), etc
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2021, 05:58:06 AM »

On a similar note to Alcibiades yeah, I am surprised at OSR and politicallefty defining 70% of households having AC as a low percentage of households, and AC as an absolute must have Tongue

Here in Spain (not exactly a cold place), even in the places with the highest AC penetration, depending on who you ask, 50-70% of homes have air conditioning! And like I say this is in cities like Cordoba, Sevilla or Badajoz, which routinely see temperatures over 105F multiple times a year (and over 110 at least a handful of times)

The United States is at a lower latitude compared to Europe. Our heat waves also don't generally cause a lot of deaths. You guys had a heat wave that killed 35,000 less than 20 years ago. I'd say it also depends on humidity levels as well. The Mediterranean area is probably a lot like the West Coast in terms of having low humidity.

I'm not saying everyone needs to have central AC if you're not in a traditionally hot climate. However, at least one or two window AC units would help significantly. You're not going to cool the whole house, but you can have a room or two that's nice and cool. If the heat is especially bad, everyone can stick together in those one or two rooms, particularly when it's really hot and/or when sleeping.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2021, 06:49:03 AM »

Do people in Portland generally have basements? It’s not ideal, but it’s an option in a desperate situation.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2021, 06:55:19 AM »

Call especially LA just had that last weekend, if you work outdoors live without air conditioner you are gonna be very hot

The best thing  to do is take cold showers and have a cool rag by you and drink plenty of water. Just like in Winter we drink lots of coffee, summer water
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2021, 06:59:23 AM »

Lol you don't have to have AC, fans and portable air conditioners or coolers, I have a portable cooler that stands not fit your window
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2021, 07:46:29 AM »

The other thing to mention as to why everyone having aircon is not necessarily desirable is that it is an environmental disaster.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2021, 07:57:52 AM »

The other thing to mention as to why everyone having aircon is not necessarily desirable is that it is an environmental disaster.

Heating is far worse, but I never see anyone complaining about that. If you try to take my AC away, I'll become a climate change denialist. Tongue
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2021, 08:26:05 AM »

Really awful to see that shading on there during summer--literally the only times I've ever seen it were in the dead of winter where you get a blocking pattern and 70s for a few days in areas that are usually much colder.

Feels good to be in the part of the Bay Area that’s blue on that map for once. I don’t have AC either and I’m tired of suffering through the 90-100 degree bullsh**t.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2021, 08:32:02 AM »
« Edited: June 26, 2021, 08:35:15 AM by Jacobin »

Heating is far worse, but I never see anyone complaining about that. If you try to take my AC away, I'll become a climate change denialist. Tongue

If you can’t survive in a climate without air conditioning, then you’ve either never adequately adapted to that climate or it’s simply not one that your body can handle. I say that as someone who spent the first 23 years of their life in Florida with barely any a/c and who now lives in Vermont without any a/c. It’s an environmental disaster and harmful to your ability to acclimate. Do hot days (and especially nights) suck? Absolutely. Personally, I can tolerate the cold much better than the heat so the Canadian border states are as far south as I’ll live now. But it’s important to let your body acclimate to your climate; if you can’t handle that, then consider relocating. A/c units should, ideally, be reserved for those with health risks or at least not be used by the general public until heatwaves strike.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2021, 08:41:53 AM »

Do Americans, like us, indulge in the idiotic habit of opening the windows when it's too hot outside? You can keep a house fairly cool without air conditioning if you close the windows and especially the shutters so the sun doesn't come in. You're not going to see anyone (local) in southern Europe with shutters or windows open at midday in the summer.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2021, 09:02:27 AM »

Do Americans, like us, indulge in the idiotic habit of opening the windows when it's too hot outside? You can keep a house fairly cool without air conditioning if you close the windows and especially the shutters so the sun doesn't come in. You're not going to see anyone (local) in southern Europe with shutters or windows open at midday in the summer.

Quite a lot of people do that here in Vermont. All it ensures is that your home gets at least as hot as outside during the day.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2021, 09:34:39 AM »

Sure let’s just depopulate a bunch of entire states bc AC shouldn’t exist.  Sounds practical.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2021, 10:13:10 AM »

Sure let’s just depopulate a bunch of entire states bc AC shouldn’t exist.  Sounds practical.

You jest, but the massive wave of climate refugees is just around the corner.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2021, 10:25:49 AM »

Also the west Coast is a meme
Its still in the 70s just West of Portland.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2021, 10:35:19 AM »

If you are one of the unlucky 30% who does not have AC under these conditions, sadly you just have to rough it out. If you can get even a fan that will do a lot to improve your quality of living during a heat wave. Full AC would be better of course but even just a fan is a big improvement.

In any case if anyone in Atlas is part of that unlucky 30% of Oregonians, take the usual precautions. Drink a lot of water, avoid going outside between roughly noon and 6pm, close your blinds/curtains during the day (especially those where the sun is hitting, so east-facing blinds in the morning and west-facing blinds in the afternoon), etc

It is low compared to most US metro areas
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2021, 10:37:20 AM »

Do you mean at this moment or forecast cause even in 90 degree days the temperature is still in the upper 60s around this time
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2021, 10:38:26 AM »

Do you mean at this moment or forecast cause even in 90 degree days the temperature is still in the upper 60s around this time

Both really, its just really funny how its so cool so close by. In the East Coast we don't really have that effect and the actual beach towns are only a few degrees cooler.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2021, 01:28:21 PM »

If you can’t survive in a climate without air conditioning, then you’ve either never adequately adapted to that climate or it’s simply not one that your body can handle. I say that as someone who spent the first 23 years of their life in Florida with barely any a/c and who now lives in Vermont without any a/c. It’s an environmental disaster and harmful to your ability to acclimate. Do hot days (and especially nights) suck? Absolutely. Personally, I can tolerate the cold much better than the heat so the Canadian border states are as far south as I’ll live now. But it’s important to let your body acclimate to your climate; if you can’t handle that, then consider relocating. A/c units should, ideally, be reserved for those with health risks or at least not be used by the general public until heatwaves strike.

As I already mentioned above, heat draws far more electricity than AC. It seems to be people in generally cold weather places that want to attack air conditioning while they run the heat 8-9  months out of the year. The cold kills far more people than the heat. Human beings were not meant to live in the frozen wastelands of the northern latitudes. I realize they won't be frozen for much longer, but that's beside the point.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2021, 01:35:04 PM »

Both really, its just really funny how its so cool so close by. In the East Coast we don't really have that effect and the actual beach towns are only a few degrees cooler.

The prevailing currents in the Pacific bring cold water from the north, while in the Atlantic they bring warm water from the south.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies