GA-SEN 2022 Megathread: Werewolves and Vampires
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 01:22:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  GA-SEN 2022 Megathread: Werewolves and Vampires
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 ... 147
Author Topic: GA-SEN 2022 Megathread: Werewolves and Vampires  (Read 144771 times)
new_patomic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1175 on: October 07, 2022, 11:15:37 PM »

He's genuinely a bad person

Disturbed? Ill? Sure. But bad, too.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1176 on: October 07, 2022, 11:23:14 PM »

I don’t know the last time there’s been a political candidate I personally despised this much.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #1177 on: October 07, 2022, 11:25:39 PM »

I don’t know the last time there’s been a political candidate I personally despised this much.

In a serious race? Probably not a while.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1178 on: October 07, 2022, 11:31:47 PM »

Even if Walker ends up winning, what I'll never fully understand is this: Georgia Republicans were not short on options. They've still got a wide bench. And they went with Herschel Walker. Why?

He played college football and he's Black. In the eyes of the GOP that's all you need.
Played college ball you know. Making the mother of all omelettes here… can’t uh… can’t fret over
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #1179 on: October 07, 2022, 11:35:41 PM »

This man needs mental help, not a senate seat. At this point I just feel bad for his family for having to deal with his issues.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #1180 on: October 08, 2022, 02:11:54 AM »

Even if Walker ends up winning, what I'll never fully understand is this: Georgia Republicans were not short on options. They've still got a wide bench. And they went with Herschel Walker. Why?

Because Trump knew him from celebrity apprentice.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #1181 on: October 08, 2022, 02:15:13 AM »

Is there a point where we put this in the Roy Moore tier of campaign implosions?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1182 on: October 08, 2022, 02:24:05 AM »

Is there a point where we put this in the Roy Moore tier of campaign implosions?
Let's see some polls first. It's a very real possibility...
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #1183 on: October 08, 2022, 02:26:38 AM »

I mean, Walker never sexually assaulted minors (I hope), so no.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1184 on: October 08, 2022, 07:41:30 AM »

It doesn’t really need to be to be that severe. If he did rape kids, Warnock might get to 53-54%. He probably already gets to 52%.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1185 on: October 08, 2022, 07:43:33 AM »

Walker will still get votes from the Christian Right because of his policies, not his actions
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1186 on: October 08, 2022, 07:54:48 AM »

Walker will still get votes from the Christian Right because of his policies, not his actions

This is why I think Walker will still get ~45% or so of the vote in Georgia at the end. This is not a Todd Akin situation, where he would lose by double digits - a scenario that might have happened 20 or 30 years ago, but is not possible now, due to increased polarization. But I think that this move on the part of evangelicals could be one of the reasons why religiosity in the United States is declining, as many younger people view them as hypocrites who don't actually live up to their moral standards.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1187 on: October 08, 2022, 08:02:15 AM »

This is why I think Walker will still get ~45% or so of the vote in Georgia at the end. This is not a Todd Akin situation, where he would lose by double digits - a scenario that might have happened 20 or 30 years ago, but is not possible now, due to increased polarization. But I think that this move on the part of evangelicals could be one of the reasons why religiosity in the United States is declining, as many younger people view them as hypocrites who don't actually live up to their moral standards.

Even a victory in the 4-6% range, could be considered a rebuke. I think Georgia might be pretty blue by 2026. By 2028, it could be a state that Democrats can rely on or at least need.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #1188 on: October 08, 2022, 09:32:31 AM »

Holy cow, the same story happened to both John Lewis and Herschel Walker

Apologies for quoting Brooklyn Dad Defiant, I just wanted the video
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #1189 on: October 08, 2022, 09:33:53 AM »

Wouldn’t be too shocked given that era in sports.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1190 on: October 08, 2022, 10:55:22 AM »

Wouldn’t be too shocked given that era in sports.

If he wasn’t a savant  at something, he’d be in prison.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1191 on: October 08, 2022, 11:02:39 AM »

The media still needs a horse race here, so it's interesting to me that numerous stories have now come out and basically had the whole "this is bad for Walker but, but, but, he's now going after Warnock for being too woke so it all evens out"
LostInOhio
United States
« Reply #1192 on: October 08, 2022, 11:24:59 AM »
« Edited: October 08, 2022, 11:28:09 AM by LostInOhio »

If Warnock wins this race I’m fairly certain we will see him as the next Democratic Party presidential nominee sometime within the next few election cycles. He’s similar to Obama in that he could appeal to every demographic of the party, and he’s also a pastor at a Black church. You couldn’t create a better Democratic presidential candidate in a lab.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

« Reply #1193 on: October 08, 2022, 11:55:49 AM »

Holy cow, the same story happened to both John Lewis and Herschel Walker

Apologies for quoting Brooklyn Dad Defiant, I just wanted the video

Why is there a bunch of jump cuts to different backgrounds? And why would it be unbelievable that relatively similar stories happened to Walker and Lewis? I despise Walker, but use your noggin Brittain33 lol.

Don't believe everything you see on the Internet... especially if the source is Brooklyn Dad Defiant.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #1194 on: October 08, 2022, 12:05:43 PM »

Do you really think a klansman came up to Herschel Walker and said he was wrong because of Herschel? Does that make sense? Note that John Lewis was from a different generation and was admired across the aisle. Walker… isn’t.
Unelectable Bystander
« Reply #1195 on: October 08, 2022, 12:50:26 PM »

I will say though, that Republicans, in justifying their continued support for Walker, have brought up the examples of not only Menendez, but also Ted Kennedy and Bill Clinton. Their reasoning is this: Why should they abandon Walker (and Trump) over concerns about their moral character when the Democrats did not abandon Kennedy or Clinton? Why should they turn over when Democrats have stood firmly behind their own candidates who have been accused of moral impropriety? What comparison can be drawn between how Democrats have responded to scandals like this, involving their own candidates, and how Republicans have responded?

There is an easy answer to that -because they are (supposedly) morally superior to us, why shouldn't Democrats demand that Republicans live up their own claims and standards? Beginning with the alignment of the Christian Right to the GOP, Republicans have been claiming that God is on their side, even that He is a Republican, placing themselves on a moral pedestal from which they have been claiming moral superiority over the Democratic Party for electoral gain.  Is it therefore so unreasonable to judge them accordingly, to expect that Republicans should be held to a higher moral standard than Democrats?  

For them, politics is a game of winners and losers, and it is more important to win than it is to lose. Hence, why white evangelicals held their noses for Trump and will hold their noses for Walker, because they see policy priorities - such as proscribing abortion - as more important than the morality of their candidates. But how justified can this stance be? Does this mean Republicans are hypocritical? Or that they are realistic?

It means that evangelicals have become morally bankrupt in their desire to retain power and influence over the direction of the United States, driven perhaps by desperation in the knowledge that the country is moving past them.  So they back morally compromised candidates like Donald Trump that they may not have stooped to in earlier decades when they were more confident they stood for the 'silent majority'.  

“I demand that you live up to your own self-imposed standards! The ideals that I don’t agree with and actively oppose. You better follow those! I would totally do the same thing. I’d even vote for nice gentleman Mitt Romney for president if he was facing a democrat that had objected in 2000/2016 or had an affair!”

I expressed my displeasure at this situation and no longer support Walker, but let’s not kid ourselves. A good chunk of democrats here have no standing other than that they like things that hurt republicans and help democrats gain power.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #1196 on: October 08, 2022, 12:51:17 PM »

Yeah, for all the "I don't care what he's done, we need that Senate majority" strategy, I can see it working in the short term to get them that majority, but it's exactly the reason why there's a general trend away from religious conservatism in the first place. If they want a majority 20-30 years from now, they need to be willing to recognize when their support for a candidate is a cancer on their movement as a whole.

Although maybe that level of long-term strategic thinking is a bit much to ask from a demographic where a straight-up majority thinks we are currently living in Biblical end times.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1197 on: October 08, 2022, 01:15:17 PM »

Todd Akin would win if the identical situation happened today, though. That kind of comment isn't damaging to Republicans anymore.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1198 on: October 08, 2022, 02:06:15 PM »

Herschel Walker couldn't pull a pizza out of an oven apparently.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1199 on: October 08, 2022, 03:40:16 PM »

Todd Akin would win if the identical situation happened today, though. That kind of comment isn't damaging to Republicans anymore.

I'm certainly aware that Akin (who's now deceased) would win in today's partisan environment. That lends even further credence to my argument that Walker, if he loses, won't lose by more than a few percentage points.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 ... 147  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies