GA-SEN 2022 Megathread: Werewolves and Vampires
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 04, 2024, 08:15:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  GA-SEN 2022 Megathread: Werewolves and Vampires
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 147
Author Topic: GA-SEN 2022 Megathread: Werewolves and Vampires  (Read 147381 times)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1075 on: October 06, 2022, 02:00:34 PM »

Reporter: You said that if this did happen, there's nothing to be ashamed of.

Walker: Wait, I never said it.

Reporter: You said it this morning on Hugh Hewitt's show.

Republicans should cut Walker loose at this point, but they will not. Many of them are doubling down on their support for him, as they see Walker as a reliable vote for their policy priorities. This is precisely the reason why Trump overwhelmingly won the white evangelical vote, and the votes of most Republicans who did not like him personally.

They believed that policy was more important than morality. And this is why Walker will still garner ~45% or more of the vote in Georgia, and why the race could still be headed to a runoff. Why would a Republican voter abandon Walker for this scandal when they see Warnock and Democrats as promoting abortion on demand with taxpayer dollars?

Walker needs more than just the GOP to get to 45%, though. Independents will now be the key to this.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1076 on: October 06, 2022, 02:01:57 PM »

Republicans should cut Walker loose at this point, but they will not. Many of them are doubling down on their support for him, as they see Walker as a reliable vote for their policy priorities. This is precisely the reason why Trump overwhelmingly won the white evangelical vote, and the votes of most Republicans who did not like him personally.

They believed that policy was more important than morality. And this is why Walker will still garner ~45% or more of the vote in Georgia, and why the race could still be headed to a runoff. Why would a Republican voter abandon Walker for this scandal when they see Warnock and Democrats as promoting abortion on demand with taxpayer dollars?

Walker needs more than just the GOP to get to 45%, though. Independents will now be the key to this.

Are you saying that Walker could fall into the lower 40s? That would imply Warnock is winning by double digits, which I don't believe is possible. We're not going to see a Todd Akin electoral outcome here.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #1077 on: October 06, 2022, 02:03:29 PM »

This kind of goes to show that many of the most annoying pro-lifers like baseballcrank and his ilk at the National Review/Federalist are straight up lying when they say they think abortion is murdering a baby. I should know, I know many people who genuinely believe this. Like, I believe they think it's bad, but it is simply not the case that they genuinely believe that a zygote is equivalent to a baby.

The reason I know this is that they find it exceedingly easy to vote for someone who they ostensibly believe financed the murder of his infant child and is pretty transparently not repentant. Like, you can justify it if you believe that Warnock will kill more babies indirectly, but none of them seem particularly concerned about wrestling with this at all. I mean, check out this quote from David Harsanyi for the Federalist:

"Without the slightest hesitation, I would support a sociopathic constitutionalist, prone to debauchery and lying, over a chaste family man who believes in a collectivist or authoritarian philosophy. The latter’s bad ideas have generational consequences. I don’t care if he takes his kids to soccer practice every day."

This is the type of argument you make to justify, like, voting for Bob Menendez despite his corruption or voting for David Vitter despite his soliciting a prostitute. Comparing infanticide to not taking your kids to soccer practice is completely insane if, in fact, you genuinely believe that abortion is murder, which Harsanyi does not, no matter what he says or even thinks.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1078 on: October 06, 2022, 02:04:24 PM »

Are you saying that Walker could fall into the lower 40s? That would imply Warnock is winning by double digits, which I don't believe is possible. We're not going to see a Todd Akin electoral outcome here.

I'm not saying it will happen, but something like 52-44-3 isn't out of the question.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1079 on: October 06, 2022, 02:08:40 PM »

Not necessarily.  The Libertarian Party usually does fairly well (for a third party) in Georgia elections.  Their candidate for Senate, Chase Oliver, may get quite a few Republicans and independents who vote for Kemp et al, but can't stomach Walker.  I could easily see a result like Warnock 52, Walker 43, Oliver 5.
skbl17
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -6.09

« Reply #1080 on: October 06, 2022, 02:12:04 PM »

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1081 on: October 06, 2022, 02:14:02 PM »

I mean, he's literally making it worse and worse for himself everytime he opens his mouth
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1082 on: October 06, 2022, 02:17:17 PM »

I mean, he's literally making it worse and worse for himself everytime he opens his mouth

That's why no Republican network or outlet will carry anything Walker actually says or does, and why he won't debate Warnock.

As it said above, the only network to actually carry Walker's press conference was... MSNBC.

Republicans know that their best chance of getting Walker into the senate is to completely erase him from the world and turn him into just six letters with an (R) next to them.  They know that if their voters find out even a smidgeon about who they're actually voting for, they may start peeling off.  So they have to make their candidate completely invisible.

Really sucks to be a Republican, doesn't it?  Just gets worse every year.  It's never too late to just pick yourself up and walk out of the landfill, blue avatars.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1083 on: October 06, 2022, 02:19:33 PM »

This kind of goes to show that many of the most annoying pro-lifers like baseballcrank and his ilk at the National Review/Federalist are straight up lying when they say they think abortion is murdering a baby. I should know, I know many people who genuinely believe this. Like, I believe they think it's bad, but it is simply not the case that they genuinely believe that a zygote is equivalent to a baby.

The reason I know this is that they find it exceedingly easy to vote for someone who they ostensibly believe financed the murder of his infant child and is pretty transparently not repentant. Like, you can justify it if you believe that Warnock will kill more babies indirectly, but none of them seem particularly concerned about wrestling with this at all. I mean, check out this quote from David Harsanyi for the Federalist:

"Without the slightest hesitation, I would support a sociopathic constitutionalist, prone to debauchery and lying, over a chaste family man who believes in a collectivist or authoritarian philosophy. The latter’s bad ideas have generational consequences. I don’t care if he takes his kids to soccer practice every day."

This is the type of argument you make to justify, like, voting for Bob Menendez despite his corruption or voting for David Vitter despite his soliciting a prostitute. Comparing infanticide to not taking your kids to soccer practice is completely insane if, in fact, you genuinely believe that abortion is murder, which Harsanyi does not, no matter what he says or even thinks.
It's a legitimate frame of view if you separate the behavior of candidates from matters of policy and how policies are likely to be impacted by the election of one candidate vs another.
How many Democrats would vote for a congressional candidate if they knew it would decide the fate of Roe vs Wade? Irrespective of their personal flaws...
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1084 on: October 06, 2022, 02:27:10 PM »

There is certainly hypocrisy involved. For many of them, "winning" in a political sense is more important. As I've made clear before, I'm not an ardent pro-choicer and I'm probably to the right of most Democrats on the issue. But that doesn't mean that I'm going to blindly support a candidate on the basis of that issue, if that candidate is morally flawed and controversial in their own right. That is the case with Walker here.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1085 on: October 06, 2022, 02:28:11 PM »

I'm not saying it will happen, but something like 52-44-3 isn't out of the question.

Perhaps not, but I'll believe it when I see it. My faith in voters certainly isn't that great these days.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #1086 on: October 06, 2022, 02:34:01 PM »

Not necessarily.  The Libertarian Party usually does fairly well (for a third party) in Georgia elections.  Their candidate for Senate, Chase Oliver, may get quite a few Republicans and independents who vote for Kemp et al, but can't stomach Walker.  I could easily see a result like Warnock 52, Walker 43, Oliver 5.

Something like Warnock 51 to 45 is what I expect now, with Warnock flipping Fayette, Bulloch, and Peach counties.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #1087 on: October 06, 2022, 02:35:20 PM »

This is glorious.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #1088 on: October 06, 2022, 02:37:12 PM »

Can any poster in Georgia or who has kept a close eye on ads tell me how many of Walker's ads actually feature Walker himself (besides the direct to camera one he released yesterday)?

This feels a lot like a campaign in which the candidate themself is the campaign's worst asset, and in circumstances like that ads rarely feature the candidate.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1089 on: October 06, 2022, 03:02:00 PM »

Can any poster in Georgia or who has kept a close eye on ads tell me how many of Walker's ads actually feature Walker himself (besides the direct to camera one he released yesterday)?

This feels a lot like a campaign in which the candidate themself is the campaign's worst asset, and in circumstances like that ads rarely feature the candidate.

I've seen a direct-to-camera one with an anti-crime theme a few times.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #1090 on: October 06, 2022, 03:05:59 PM »

I think it’s lost on people sometimes that Warnock is the current modern era record holder for the biggest Democrat win in Georgia. Anything more than his 2% win from the runoff would be incredible for a midterm dynamic. I expect Democrats will do a lot better in 2024 and 2026 with more demographic turnover (old whites dying, which vote 95-5 Republican now being displaced by the younger generation).
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1091 on: October 06, 2022, 03:14:19 PM »

new_patomic

« Reply #1092 on: October 06, 2022, 03:52:13 PM »

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1093 on: October 06, 2022, 03:55:43 PM »

As I said he was losing before this allegations and he's not gonna win anyways
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1094 on: October 06, 2022, 03:56:50 PM »

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1095 on: October 06, 2022, 03:58:16 PM »

I've seen a direct-to-camera one with an anti-crime theme a few times.

Yeah apparently this ad has been running a lot:  https://host2.adimpact.com/admo/viewer/96838a1a-a572-452f-ada3-e385de737f1e?cid=eml_firstread_20220928

Very strange!
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1096 on: October 06, 2022, 04:13:20 PM »

One problem that Republicans have is that nobody under age 50 actually remembers the fabulous games he played as a running back with Georgia. It's not like it's Todd Gurley on the ballot.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1097 on: October 06, 2022, 04:19:29 PM »

One problem that Republicans have is that nobody under age 50 actually remembers the fabulous games he played as a running back with Georgia. It's not like it's Todd Gurley on the ballot.
Especially not the transplants who have moved to Georgia over the past 20 years.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1098 on: October 06, 2022, 04:48:45 PM »

Can we all agree Herschel Walker looks like a doofus wearing those glasses?
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1099 on: October 06, 2022, 04:52:51 PM »

I guess we can expect a bunch more GA polls on the way....
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 147  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies