2024 Third Party and Independent Candidate General discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:52:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  2024 Third Party and Independent Candidate General discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 54
Author Topic: 2024 Third Party and Independent Candidate General discussion  (Read 52698 times)
AltWorlder

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: 3.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: June 16, 2023, 05:56:03 PM »

So then what third parties need to do is combat the "spoiler" label and point out that those who want to restrict ballots are, by definition, anti-democratic.

Third parties can and should do that, and there's ways to combat the label by pushing for ranked choice voting and the like. But my point is the more mainstream of candidates like Sanders is certainly not going to risk it to run quixotic campaigns to split the vote. When was the last time an actual elected official did that on the national level, John Anderson? That was a lifetime ago.

I agree that leftists who run independent or third party are tarred as such, but that certainly doesn't make it accurate, and that certainly doesn't mean they should lie down and continue letting people make those accusations against them.

To be fair third party leftists and such won't do that, Nader himself ran two more times with ever more diminishing returns. But again I'm talking about a figure like Sanders. Heck maybe that's why Justin Amash won't run, I imagine.
MichaelM24
Rookie
United States

« Reply #351 on: June 16, 2023, 06:30:51 PM »

I agree that leftists who run independent or third party are tarred as such, but that certainly doesn't make it accurate, and that certainly doesn't mean they should lie down and continue letting people make those accusations against them.

To be fair third party leftists and such won't do that, Nader himself ran two more times with ever more diminishing returns. But again I'm talking about a figure like Sanders. Heck maybe that's why Justin Amash won't run, I imagine.

To be fair, Nader did do better in 2008 than in 2004, but that's not surprising, of course.

I don't disagree with most of what you said. No one who seriously associates with the Democratic Party is likely to run a third party or independent campaign, but I think that just goes down to their political philosophies.

Personally speaking, as a Sanders supporter in 2016 and 2020, I wasn't bothered by his endorsement of Clinton and Biden - I didn't follow his advice, and voted how I thought was best - but certainly, if it's his belief to try and change the Democratic Party the way he's been trying, that's his own business.

I've not been paying close attention to the Libertarian candidates, but I know that Amash had some critical reception in 2020, and while I don't think him running would tear the party apart or anything, given the state of the party right now, I wouldn't blame high profile names from thinking twice.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #352 on: June 16, 2023, 06:46:46 PM »

Nader’s run greatly shifted the democrats left, especially in regards to being anti-war and pro-marijuana. Anderson’s campaign was more of a flop and posed no sort of challenge to enact local change.

Spoilers don’t exist and the notion that these voters are unwinnable or stupid is incorrect. Like a huge portion of western native voters that democrats won in part due to changing their stances on pipeline projects, how the system works is you got to convince people to vote for you against other parties or not voting at all.

Trump delusions about how democracy is going to end or how the Democratic Party is supposedly the savior against the Alt-right is unfounded. If Democrats really wanted Trump out of the picture and to win, they could speed up this trial instead of milking it long term for political theater or do common sense popular policies via executive order or Foreign Policy wise, like how a good chunk of voters stood by Biden with the withdrawal or how most voters like cheap gas, vuvuzela and ayatollahs be damned.

Also, from experience, how is what they are doing Electoral suicide? Perot’s run did make an impact nationwide and get a lot of people downballot elected. The work of Howie Hawkins and the Green party have been great pressure groups for drug legalization, anti-corruption on the east coast, and LGBT rights. The Libertarian party popularized government downsizing. Some rando councilor from Seattle has put the city on the map for a whole host of political issues and gave life to what would become the Sanders 2016 campaign. Explain to me how these are unsuccessful?
AltWorlder

Political Matrix

« Reply #353 on: June 16, 2023, 08:58:19 PM »

Spoilers don’t exist and the notion that these voters are unwinnable or stupid is incorrect. Like a huge portion of western native voters that democrats won in part due to changing their stances on pipeline projects, how the system works is you got to convince people to vote for you against other parties or not voting at all.

Don't tell me that, tell it to the entrenched narrative since Florida

And, well, now that I think about it, TR's Bull Moose run did lose 1912 for Taft and the GOP.

Also, from experience, how is what they are doing Electoral suicide?

I was talking about if Sanders (or Bloomberg in 2020, or any Republican in 2016, or whomever) defects to run against their party nominee as an independent. Perot was never an elected official of either party. I was specifically speaking about why no mainstream elected official (since Anderson 1980 at least) is going to suicide their career and reputation by running independent and be accused as a spoiler for all time. Those who do so are like Cynthia McKinney in '04 or Bob Barr in '08 or Virgil Goode in '12, who are already ideologically radical and reputationally unpopular enough to not have much to lose.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #354 on: June 16, 2023, 09:40:29 PM »

Manchin looks likely he won't run for reelection and become the No Party Labels why would he lose to Justice anyways, but he will get 3 percentage pts like Jorgensen did, that's why they say Triage FL, IA, Sinema and Manchin, he has been appearing only on certain shows not MSNBC because he is indeed looking a way out

He is set to announce if he is a No party Labels in Jan 24 that's why I say stop worrying about polls until June 24 it may not be Trump v Biden ONLY

Polls are only for you to stay obsessed with politics and it's VBM polling underestimated Biden in 20/22 anyways we will see in these LA, KY and MS Govs that's coming up in Nov
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #355 on: June 16, 2023, 10:06:42 PM »

The narrative is incorrect and I’ve explored the thought on here that dissenting members of each party who do such a run are either losers or plain arrogant and egotistical in viewing themselves as too good for third parties.

I don’t have high hopes for the Cornel West campaign, but the primaries haven’t even started yet for the Greens. I think giving this some time would be wise. After all, given the fact that Chris Hedges and SAlt per their own website smelled blood in the water is very interesting to say the least.

Also, Virgil Goode and Cynthia McKinney were exceptionally poor candidates hated by the majority of the party members of the nominating party, leading to the current state of the constitution party and greens. Outside of ideology which no one was wanting, the George Bush style conservatism and bourgeois black nationalism appealed to no one at the time, they were jokes and the time since has proven it. There actually is grassroots appeal to Cornel West that i admittedly have to acknowledge.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #356 on: June 17, 2023, 01:43:17 PM »

Very good chances a left winger gets on the Oklahoma ballot since 1935
MichaelM24
Rookie
United States

« Reply #357 on: June 17, 2023, 01:59:08 PM »

$35,000 is an awfully high filing fee. While I don't doubt the Green Party could raise that, there's also a good point to be made that the money could be used in better ways, such as down-ballot candidates.

Obviously, I'd love Oklahoma citizens to have as many choices as Colorado, but it should definitely be discussed among membership.

And I saw this as a guy from Indiana - Jill Stein wasn't on the ballot in 2012 or 2016, nor was Hawkins on the ballot in 2020. Luckily, though, in all cases, they were certified write-in candidates, so supporters could still vote for them.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #358 on: June 17, 2023, 03:28:06 PM »

Sincerely hope that West gets on as few ballots as possible.
MichaelM24
Rookie
United States

« Reply #359 on: June 17, 2023, 03:35:21 PM »

Sincerely hope that West gets on as few ballots as possible.

With all due respect, it's that anti-democratic attitude that really turns me away from Democrats.

If someone wants to vote for Cornel West, as I am likely to do should he make the list of certified write-in candidates in Indiana, how is that so awful as to be a choice that is taken away from them?

If anti-third party individuals passed laws that banned third parties from having ballot or write-in access, I would never vote again. Disenfranchising people you disagree with does not seem a particuarly wise idea, in my view.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #360 on: June 17, 2023, 03:46:00 PM »
« Edited: June 17, 2023, 03:49:15 PM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/19/us/politics/no-labels-president-manchin.html

Manchin is gonna retire and run for No Party Labels obviously and not lose to Justice and get 3 percentage pts or just retire no way is he gonna lose to Justice

It's gonna be a fascinator race Biden, Manchin and Trump

The seat is gone regardless, I think it will help Biden to have a third party we don't know if those third party votes would of went to Hillary or Gore we will find out if there is a third party challenge in 24
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #361 on: June 17, 2023, 04:11:37 PM »

https://www.nolabels.org/

Here is the No Party Labels website I like it it sounds like Poor campaign unlike Act blue that just wants you to donate it tells you about the movement
AltWorlder

Political Matrix

« Reply #362 on: June 17, 2023, 10:41:31 PM »

Joe Manchin running for No Labels might make sense for himself in terms of his political aspirations but what would be funnier is if Joe Lieberman decides to run for that same movement
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #363 on: June 18, 2023, 08:52:30 AM »

Joe Manchin running for No Labels might make sense for himself in terms of his political aspirations but what would be funnier is if Joe Lieberman decides to run for that same movement
A significant amount of has beens from the 1980s have resurfaced so this is not surprising.
AltWorlder

Political Matrix

« Reply #364 on: June 18, 2023, 09:14:35 AM »

It’s just Lieberman already looked old back in 2000
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #365 on: June 18, 2023, 09:27:58 AM »

It’s just Lieberman already looked old back in 2000
If Marianne Williamson could enter into the mainstream light after the 90s, anything is honestly possible.

I know this is hard to believe, but a lot of the old (f/b)ogeys of the past are still alive, and on account of living in a more simpler times of higher returns and ability to extract liquidity from their assets, something impossible in today's time, are able to finance their favored candidates. A Kennedy is polling at 15-20% in the 21st century after all.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #366 on: June 18, 2023, 09:39:47 AM »

He's not running except for Veep he would join a Manchin and Lieberman ticket Hogan is RNC chair why would he run on No Partys Label

I know users don't believe Biden corrupted politics as I said before he is a 303 Prez not a 415 why because in OH white females split 50)50 for Vance and DeWine v Whaley and Ryan because white females in red states are concerned about Hunter Biden
AltWorlder

Political Matrix

« Reply #367 on: June 18, 2023, 01:48:25 PM »

Let’s play a game. Which mainstream figure and/or actually elected politician would be the best fit for the third party nomination? Balancing between 1) would they actually want it and 2) ideological compatibility.

Libertarian Party: Justin Amash, easy. Joe Exotic for the joke pick, but he’s spoken for already (doomed Democrat run). Beyond that there are a ton of libertarian celebs to consider.

Constitution Party: are there any a) prominent b) paleocon or MAGA c) people who have rejected Trump? Steve Bannon, but then again I’m not sure if he even fits any of the three? Though at this point it could be any ostracized conservative - Don Blankenship was an entryist.

American Solidarity Party: John Bel Edwards would actually work quite well since he’s term-limited out, and his recent anti-capital punishment stance falls into the Whole Life ethic. For a non-politician figure, how about Elizabeth Bruenig. Realistically, the best they could hope for is maybe a Catholic professor like Robert P. George.

People’s Party: Jimmy Dore, natch

Forward Party: Rocky de la Fuente, because he’s gotta bring his shtick somewhere.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #368 on: June 18, 2023, 04:15:24 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2023, 04:22:51 PM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

No Party Labels is different than forward party Yang movement I think the two have been confused Manchin has said 1/24 he was gonna decide on his retirement why else would he announced a retirement on Eve of No party Labels Convention, he had this thing planned all along and it's Donating page is much better than Act blue

I even thought Manchin was bluffing because I even confused Forward with No Party they are completely different ime want to get the Prez and other is a Yang movement

WI, PA and MI is where it comes down to it it's just hard to see Biden losing them but Trump and No Party think they can win them

The 😺😺😺 cat is out of the bag Manchin is a strong contender for Pret

WC MANCHIN-LIEBERMAN WC BIDEN HARRIS V T TRUMP-DESANTIS
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #369 on: June 18, 2023, 04:24:45 PM »

I think there is a denialism on part of users that Manchin is running , it's all on MSNBC
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #370 on: June 18, 2023, 04:46:05 PM »

Olowakandi, please exit from this thread, no one wants your nonsense ramblings you got after flunking the bar exam.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #371 on: June 18, 2023, 05:07:18 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2023, 05:11:22 PM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

Olowakandi, please exit from this thread, no one wants your nonsense ramblings you got after flunking the bar exam.

If he runs or not he is gonna get 3 percentage pts like Jorgensen and Gary Johnson did and I have a Bachelor's Degree thank you very much

Blue avatars thought Oz, Laxalt, Walker and Masters were all gonna win because they don't consider 5 percent of the blk vote makes the difference and White female vote go 58)42 D while it's soluta 50/50 in red states that's why Ryan was def and Fetterman won and some don't even know what Judicial Review and Judicial Restraint and called a Segregationalist Jefferson the best Prez we ever had and he had 600 slaves Judicial Restraint

Judicial Review was taught in 8 th Grade Constitution with compassionate Conserv John Marshall in Marbury v Madison when Fed Law ruled supreme over Slavery

NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #372 on: June 18, 2023, 09:18:34 PM »

no one wants your nonsense ramblings

I read this and then died of an irony overdose.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #373 on: June 18, 2023, 09:23:00 PM »

no one wants your nonsense ramblings

I read this and then died of an irony overdose.
Well that may be in everyone’s interest to stay away from comedy, because that requires wit.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #374 on: June 19, 2023, 09:13:29 PM »

Well, they’ve finally admitted their political orientation. They also chose their VP
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 54  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies