DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 12:08:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41
Author Topic: DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality)  (Read 40964 times)
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #875 on: May 01, 2021, 03:54:25 PM »

Racist assholes

Lmao. DC--by any empirical metric--is the most developed jurisdiction in the United States and close to the top globally. Resentment at its finest.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #876 on: May 01, 2021, 04:17:02 PM »

D's are leading the Generic ballot 47/42 and we are gonna win WI, PA, NH, GA, OH, NC will give us the 52 nd seat pending Runoff in GA and D's can keep the H

It's gonna happen anyways, not this term but next term

Swing state D's didn't say no to DC Statehood but no to Crt packing and probably no to PR Statehood, but not with a Constitutional Amendment it can be challenged in SCOTUS
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #877 on: May 01, 2021, 04:20:50 PM »

Racist assholes

People who write this kind of stuff have obviously never been to DC. It's a wonderful city, one of my favorites in the entire country.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #878 on: May 01, 2021, 04:22:10 PM »

Racist assholes

Performatively racist assholes. See below:

People who write this kind of stuff have obviously never been to DC.

The author is actually a big fan of DC, but she'll sell its people out to lie to bigots she probably also holds in contempt:

MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #879 on: May 01, 2021, 05:35:03 PM »

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E0P4ijfVkAEcfmJ?format=jpg&name=small

Y'all get taken for a ride every time he does his triangulation to preserve his image. Of course voting with the D's isn't good enough when it comes to statehood.

Say it again louder for the people in the back.

Seriously, though, if after everything which we've already been through, one somehow still can't bring themselves to admit that the Manchin Cycle is literally just *a thing that exists*, Idk what to tell you anymore.

My god. Give it up. He caves at times but this is not performative. Period. If it was it would’ve been passed by now. It’s not happening. Cant wait for Republicans to take congress back and statehood is dead only to hear “This is all part of Manchin plan. You wait and see!”
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #880 on: May 01, 2021, 05:51:20 PM »

Y'all get taken for a ride every time he does his triangulation to preserve his image. Of course voting with the D's isn't good enough when it comes to statehood.

Seriously, though, if after everything which we've already been through, one somehow still can't bring themselves to admit that the Manchin Cycle is literally just *a thing that exists*, Idk what to tell you anymore.

My god. Give it up. He caves at times but this is not performative. Period. If it was it would’ve been passed by now. It’s not happening. Cant wait for Republicans to take congress back and statehood is dead only to hear “This is all part of Manchin plan. You wait and see!”

"fOoLs GoLd"-propagator says what?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to when your extremely deep reverse psychology inevitably pays out to the tune of $100:

$100 to a member of this board if DC (or PR) statehood passes in 2021.

It’s all I want. It makes a Democratic agenda more likely for years to come.

Dibs, again.
Pro-Israel, anti-Bibi
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #881 on: May 01, 2021, 09:37:08 PM »

Racist assholes

Lmao. DC--by any empirical metric--is the most developed jurisdiction in the United States and close to the top globally. Resentment at its finest.

Ah yes, those metrics that ignore America's healthcare system when pronouncing places "developed". I agree DC is better than most and deserves statehood, but it is not a top city globally.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #882 on: May 02, 2021, 07:28:30 AM »

Anyway, I'm looking forward to when your extremely deep reverse psychology inevitably pays out to the tune of $100:

Dibs, again.

We get it. I was (barely) off about Georgia. I’ve also been right about some things.

I wish I was just doing voodoo reverse psychology but that’s not it - statehood is not happening and this pathetic “Manchin just playing games!” BS is tiredsome.

For the record - Manchin better be running for re-election otherwise all this stuff is even more unforgivable. My favorite Senator no more. Now it’s the duchess of crossfit
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #883 on: May 02, 2021, 08:53:43 AM »

Cope.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #884 on: May 02, 2021, 09:00:59 AM »

LOL, you of all people to say that.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #885 on: May 02, 2021, 12:03:04 PM »

Murkowski proposal has an Amendment that gives Eleanor Norton voting rights but doesn't grant 2 Senators, that Amendment is fully constitutional because you can change the Constitution with an Amendmen, D's say it's unconstitutional, no it's not we didn't have Direct Election of Senators until the Industrial Revolution with Woodrow Wilson and they were elected by state Legislature
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #886 on: May 02, 2021, 12:18:18 PM »

Watching all the red avatars getting mad that their power grab failed is the perfect indictment of U.S. politics.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #887 on: May 02, 2021, 12:26:42 PM »

Watching all the red avatars getting mad that their power grab failed is the perfect indictment of U.S. politics.

A power grab is refusing to a sit a Supreme Court justice for 10 months.

A power grab is actively trying to have electoral college votes thrown out cause you’re mad you lost.

Giving representation to the most taxed 700k residents in the nation is not a power grab just because it happens to benefit the party which you oppose.
Vespucci
United States

« Reply #888 on: May 02, 2021, 12:36:10 PM »

It seems clear to me that Manchin doesn't play 8D chess or whatever, but he is a flipflopper who has in the past changed his position within a week.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #889 on: May 02, 2021, 12:38:23 PM »

Dibs, again.

We get it. I was (barely) off about Georgia. I’ve also been right about some things.

I wish I was just doing voodoo reverse psychology but that’s not it - statehood is not happening and this pathetic “Manchin just playing games!” BS is tiredsome.

For the record - Manchin better be running for re-election otherwise all this stuff is even more unforgivable. My favorite Senator no more. Now it’s the duchess of crossfit

Cope harder.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #890 on: May 02, 2021, 01:01:32 PM »

Ds lead on Generic ballot 47:42 and can narrowly hold onto H and get 52/48 Senate after 2022 and Resurrect DC Statehood

There will be split voting between H and Gov and Senators, D's have the battlegrounds to keep H and S
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #891 on: May 02, 2021, 02:10:38 PM »

Susan Collins proposes Adding DC to Maryland

TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #892 on: May 02, 2021, 02:13:27 PM »

A power grab is actively trying to have electoral college votes thrown out cause you’re mad you lost.

Giving representation to the most taxed 700k residents in the nation is not a power grab just because it happens to benefit the party which you oppose.

I never said it was only Democrats who engaged in power grabs. But this right here certainly is an example of them doing just that.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #893 on: May 02, 2021, 02:19:12 PM »

If it’s unconstitutional for DC to become a state, how is it constitutional for them to merge into Maryland? 
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #894 on: May 02, 2021, 02:20:40 PM »

I’ll compromise. If DC can be added to Maryland then add the dakotas together
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #895 on: May 02, 2021, 02:31:29 PM »

Constitutional amendment: 1 Senator and 2 House members. Equals 3 electoral votes
rhg2052

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.78

« Reply #896 on: May 02, 2021, 02:38:04 PM »

Constitutional amendment: 1 Senator and 2 House members. Equals 3 electoral votes

and this makes any sense as a solution how???
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #897 on: May 02, 2021, 02:46:13 PM »

I never said it was only Democrats who engaged in power grabs. But this right here certainly is an example of them doing just that.

The "power grab" is Republicans not letting the Americans who live in DC have the same rights as any other American.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #898 on: May 02, 2021, 03:10:52 PM »
« Edited: May 02, 2021, 03:14:51 PM by Storr »

Susan Collins proposes Adding DC to Maryland

While we're at it Sen. Collins, it would only be fair that if we give DC back to Maryland we also give Maine back to Massachusetts. I'm sure our bold moderate hero would have no issue with such a bipartisan compromise.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #899 on: May 02, 2021, 03:16:09 PM »
« Edited: May 02, 2021, 03:20:37 PM by TheReckoning »

The "power grab" is Republicans not letting the Americans who live in DC have the same rights as any other American.

What rights are those? Electing senators isn’t a right.

Be honest with yourself. Democrats couldn’t care less about giving people voting rights. If they did, they would’ve made DC a state in 2009, when they had full Control of Congress. So why are they doing it now? 3 words.

Power, power, power.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies