DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:50:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 41
Author Topic: DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality)  (Read 39670 times)
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #750 on: April 23, 2021, 08:37:55 PM »

So far the GOP rhetoric against it has been so ignorant like rising crime despite crime rising everywhere else, population requirements despite already passing two states in population, or the idea that there is no car dealership in which there is one. It clear they have no messaging strategy for the public sphere or in the courts other than "if DC is made a state it will elect Democrats". Right now the only thing Republicans have to hang on to is Manchin. The fact that he hasn't definitely come out against statehood other than joking that he supports adding DC to WV suggests his position is not enough to secure Republicans' nervousness.

No car dealership? What? We would all be much better off if we eliminated the dealership model and just bought directly from the manufacturer and cut out all the scammers and artificial price increases they come with.

Not like having or not having car dealerships should matter, but it took me literally 1 minute to find multiple car dealerships within DC city limits (admittedly I don't know anything about them but they do exist)

DC has 2 airports as well, Reagan in the city limits, and Dulles in the DC metro area. It's just a excuse for Republicans to stick it to the blacks in DC.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #751 on: April 23, 2021, 08:53:48 PM »

So far the GOP rhetoric against it has been so ignorant like rising crime despite crime rising everywhere else, population requirements despite already passing two states in population, or the idea that there is no car dealership in which there is one. It clear they have no messaging strategy for the public sphere or in the courts other than "if DC is made a state it will elect Democrats". Right now the only thing Republicans have to hang on to is Manchin. The fact that he hasn't definitely come out against statehood other than joking that he supports adding DC to WV suggests his position is not enough to secure Republicans' nervousness.

No car dealership? What? We would all be much better off if we eliminated the dealership model and just bought directly from the manufacturer and cut out all the scammers and artificial price increases they come with.

Not like having or not having car dealerships should matter, but it took me literally 1 minute to find multiple car dealerships within DC city limits (admittedly I don't know anything about them but they do exist)

https://i.snipboard.io/zpR6Uc.jpg

DC has 2 airports as well, Reagan in the city limits, and Dulles in the DC metro area. It's just a excuse for Republicans to stick it to the blacks in DC.

Reagan National is in Arlington.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #752 on: April 23, 2021, 08:55:46 PM »

Out of interest, I read an article on the conservative media watchdog Newsbusters railing against media "advocacy" for D.C. statehood. The article included a video of segments from NBC's Today. Those segments highlighted comments made by Nancy Mace and Tom Cotton in opposition to the bill. Mace claimed that D.C. doesn't meet the requirements to be a congressional district, while Cotton praised Wyoming as a "well-rounded, working class" state. These claims were obviously ridiculous.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #753 on: April 23, 2021, 09:00:19 PM »

And in Cotton's case not only ridiculous, but a blatant dog whistle as well

Out of interest, I read an article on the conservative media watchdog Newsbusters railing against media "advocacy" for D.C. statehood. The article included a video of segments from NBC's Today. Those segments highlighted comments made by Nancy Mace and Tom Cotton in opposition to the bill. Mace claimed that D.C. doesn't meet the requirements to be a congressional district, while Cotton praised Wyoming as a "well-rounded, working class" state. These claims were obviously ridiculous.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #754 on: April 23, 2021, 09:10:44 PM »

King, Kelly, Manchin, Sinema, have all expressed reservation about statehood so I would celebrate yet

No they haven't. They've all said something along the lines of "i have to look more into it" which is nowhere near a reservation and especially nowhere near opposition.

“I’m going to look into it,” is a nice way of saying “No.”

In this context, not really.  It's more like, I'll support it once it has the requisite support to pass, but I won't stick my neck out if it won't pass anyway.

And that would require 60 votes, which won’t happen.

I missed the part where I said it would.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #755 on: April 23, 2021, 11:18:56 PM »

The US flag looked better with 48 stars anyway.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #756 on: April 24, 2021, 12:34:20 AM »

The court yeeting a whole state from the union would be a constitutional crisis unparalleled in living memory and thus an excellent test of the limits of judicial review, and I hope that if it comes down to it, the administration would make enough noise to scare the justices (or at least Roberts and Kavanaugh) away from the challenge.

Virginia v. West Virginia might be the most similar case.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #757 on: April 24, 2021, 09:11:16 AM »

Once we admit Douglass, Puerto Rico, Marianas, and Virgins, we'll be at a very similar 9x6 arrangement.
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #758 on: April 24, 2021, 09:19:56 AM »

Since we’re talking about airports, Delaware only has one airport, and it had no flights from 2015-2021. Now the only flight out of it is a seasonal flight to MCO on Frontier. Joe Biden uses it as well though
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #759 on: April 24, 2021, 10:01:34 AM »

Once we admit Douglass, Puerto Rico, Marianas, and Virgins, we'll be at a very similar 9x6 arrangement.

You think the Democrats are going to admit the Marianas and Virgin Islands as well? I'm still doubtful that they'll be successful in admitting Washington D.C. To say nothing of the fact that Puerto Rico still seems to be torn between independence, statehood, and retaining its current status.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #760 on: April 24, 2021, 11:44:08 AM »

You think the Democrats are going to admit the Marianas and Virgin Islands as well? I'm still doubtful that they'll be successful in admitting Washington D.C. To say nothing of the fact that Puerto Rico still seems to be torn between independence, statehood, and retaining its current status.

This isn’t about democracy, it’s about vexillology.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #761 on: April 24, 2021, 12:52:29 PM »
« Edited: April 24, 2021, 12:56:29 PM by MR. KAYNE WEST »

Manchin only says he supports DC STATEHOOD, he doesn't support PR Statehood due to proximity to WVA

PR Statehood is only to add more judges on SCOTUS, there won't be any Crt packing Tester, King, Sinema and Manchin opposed it

Even after 2022, the Ds would need 55 seats to get Crt packing thru, right now it looks like 52, unless the Covid is Eradicated I don't see it

Users on this thread said themselves it's doubtful that we need to Crt pack SCOTUS can't deny Statehood
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #762 on: April 24, 2021, 03:51:24 PM »

If they hold a successful statehood referendum and submit a constitution to the federal government, yes, I think they will be admitted as states. But those two island chains are in the very early stages of talking about this. It won't be done this summer like DC statehood will.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #763 on: April 24, 2021, 03:52:56 PM »

If they hold a successful statehood referendum and submit a constitution to the federal government, yes, I think they will be admitted as states. But those two island chains are in the very early stages of talking about this. It won't be done this summer like DC statehood will.

Are they in any stage of talking about this at all?
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #764 on: April 24, 2021, 04:24:25 PM »

Are they in any stage of talking about this at all?

No one is seriously talking about admitting either the Virgin Islands or the Marianas/Guam as states. However, I'm sure the Virgin Islands would vote to become a state if given the option; I'm not as sure about the Marianas and Guam.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #765 on: April 24, 2021, 07:15:03 PM »

I haven't heard anything about a statehood movement in either. I wouldn't be opposed to it, especially since the constitutionality of their admission could not be contested in the same manner that D.C.'s admission could be. But Republican anger over D.C. statehood would turn into an uproar if the Democratic majority pushed for the admission of the other three. They view any effort to admit new states as a Democratic power grab.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #766 on: April 24, 2021, 08:13:28 PM »

I haven't heard anything about a statehood movement in either. I wouldn't be opposed to it, especially since the constitutionality of their admission could not be contested in the same manner that D.C.'s admission could be. But Republican anger over D.C. statehood would turn into an uproar if the Democratic majority pushed for the admission of the other three. They view any effort to admit new states as a Democratic power grab.

I posted a video a few weeks ago about Guam:
The Wendover video about Guam spoke to the then-Speaker of the Guam Legislature, Benjamin Cruz, who said (in 2018) that the majority of the residents there support statehood. To be fair, he did not cite a particular poll or anything, but it does show that people on the island, including those high up in the government, are thinking about it.

As far as the USVI, reporters asked Stacey Plaskett about it during the impeachment and she kinda shrugged off the question. They actually have looked into statehood a couple times in the past, but given its low population, it never went anywhere. I think Democrats in Congress would a lot more receptive if they seriously looked into it again.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #767 on: April 25, 2021, 07:41:25 AM »

On one hand I find it hard to believe the administration would put out a statement endorsing the position without knowing it’ll pass. However I just can’t see how that happens. I think the right is going to put the fear of god and the praise from Republicans is a drug Manchin just can’t stop
(let’s be honest it’s Manchin, Sinema would fold like a tent if it was just her).
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #768 on: April 25, 2021, 07:49:31 AM »

The Ds need 52 seats to get the Filibuster removed, the H have all these Progressive bills Reparations, Voting Rights, and the Ds are smarting over losing ME and NC and Collins all she has done is vote on Cabinet officials but blocked every D Legislation including Minimum wage and 1400 that's gonna come back on her in 2026, just like Murkowski is losing her race in AK. She is DOA and would be 70 yrs old in 2026
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #769 on: April 25, 2021, 08:49:52 AM »

On one hand I find it hard to believe the administration would put out a statement endorsing the position without knowing it’ll pass. However I just can’t see how that happens. I think the right is going to put the fear of god and the praise from Republicans is a drug Manchin just can’t stop
(let’s be honest it’s Manchin, Sinema would fold like a tent if it was just her).

Careful, people will call you a doomer for being cautious and realistic.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #770 on: April 25, 2021, 11:34:15 AM »

Careful, people will call you a doomer for being cautious and realistic.

Obviously, he is best friends with Progressive Moderate and Kaiser Dave, Progressive Moderate and Milineienial Moderate, it's not hard to figure that out, and Progressive Moderate has an R friendly map, it's not that hard to figure out

Both of them are somewhat of Doomers, but Kaiser Dave isn't one
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #771 on: April 25, 2021, 01:02:18 PM »
« Edited: April 25, 2021, 05:50:53 PM by leecannon_ »

The solution to adding all the territories is to uncap the house and abolish the senate
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #772 on: April 25, 2021, 03:59:21 PM »

Yes, but it’s not Manchin, it’s Sinema.
Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #773 on: April 25, 2021, 06:11:12 PM »
« Edited: April 25, 2021, 06:16:27 PM by Abdullah »

If DC becomes a state, will the US House size be increased to 436? And will it stay that way after the 2020 reapportionment?

Also when would elections be held for DC's two hypothetical senators and its representative in Congress?

By the way, the idea somebody mentioned earlier about adding Arlington County, Virginia into DC to make it bigger sounds based. Is there popular support for it?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #774 on: April 25, 2021, 06:15:05 PM »

If DC becomes a state, will the US House size be increased to 436? And will it stay that way after reapportionment?

Imagine they'll look at which state would lose a seat if it stays at 435 rather than moving to 436, and if it's going to be a D seat, they'll expand to 436 and if it's an R seat, they'll keep at it 435.

Not that that's the best method of deciding such things, but since either way is defensible, that's what they're incentivized to do. I'm sure Republicans will demand they do the opposite and make some hay about it, but it won't stick.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies