DC Unrest Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 11:33:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 136 137 138 [139] 140 141 142 143 144 ... 197
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 271961 times)
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3450 on: January 09, 2021, 11:54:55 AM »

These past few days have been surreal. Of all the many things I could have seen going wrong in the future, I never would have guessed that the all-powerful government that fought the War on Terror and dominated the planet would have faced a failed coup.

I mean, it's fun using these words, but there was always a 0% chance this "coup" would actually work.

Even if the mob managed to execute every Democratic member of Congress, Biden would still become president in the eyes of everyone who matters on January 20, and the military and national security apparatus would immediately report to him.

If you think all the levers of power in our country would say "oh, well I guess Trump is still our boss then" just because a mob killed everyone involved in ceremonially ratifying Biden's presidency, you're wrong.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #3451 on: January 09, 2021, 12:07:12 PM »
« Edited: January 09, 2021, 12:10:35 PM by Arachno-Statism »

These past few days have been surreal. Of all the many things I could have seen going wrong in the future, I never would have guessed that the all-powerful government that fought the War on Terror and dominated the planet would have faced a failed coup.

I mean, it's fun using these words, but there was always a 0% chance this "coup" would actually work.

Even if the mob managed to execute every Democratic member of Congress, Biden would still become president in the eyes of everyone who matters on January 20, and the military and national security apparatus would immediately report to him.

If you think all the levers of power in our country would say "oh, well I guess Trump is still our boss then" just because a mob killed everyone involved in ceremonially ratifying Biden's presidency, you're wrong.

Of course this had zero chance of succeeding, but the intent was there. It's the fact that they even got this far in such a militarized country that's surprising.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #3452 on: January 09, 2021, 12:08:29 PM »

There are millions of people in the US, including a great many police and a distressing number of active military personnel, who would indeed accept Trump as president if, god forbid, every other constitutional officer were assassinated. To those folks -- Völker -- that's just the DC swamp being cleared out once and for all.

There are even more who have so little knowledge of the constitution (the actual framework and operations of the US government, not just the "scrap of paper" slowly decomposing in the National Archives) that they would passively accept that Trump is still president because everyone else is dead.

This sounds like "dooming", but really, Trump and his backers do not uphold common law traditions of executive authority.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #3453 on: January 09, 2021, 12:10:29 PM »

I saw it happening but almost everyone said I was a doomer.

The only fix going forward is to vote like you never have before and ONLY for Democrats...never a Republican, and never third party.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3454 on: January 09, 2021, 12:11:25 PM »

Pelosi asked the military to effectively carry out a coup

www.nytimes.com%2F2021%2F01%2F08%2Fus%2Fpolitics%2Ftrump-pelosi-nuclear-military.html
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #3455 on: January 09, 2021, 12:13:32 PM »

I saw it happening but almost everyone said I was a doomer.

The only fix going forward is to vote like you never have before and ONLY for Democrats...never a Republican, and never third party.

Pass, and I guess I'll accept the dogpiling that comes with that. I accept neither Trump nor Bush 2.0.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3456 on: January 09, 2021, 12:21:24 PM »

Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3457 on: January 09, 2021, 12:23:12 PM »

www.nytimes.com%2F2021%2F01%2F08%2Fus%2Fpolitics%2Ftrump-pelosi-nuclear-military.html

Pelosi didn't ask the military to remove Trump from office = No coup.

Strictly speaking, she asked the military to refuse carrying out certain orders from Trump. That's asking them to not to do something instead of doing something.

But I understand that you're post was meant as a "both sides do it!" construction.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #3458 on: January 09, 2021, 12:23:15 PM »

Oh please Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« Reply #3459 on: January 09, 2021, 12:34:25 PM »

This is an assassination threat against the Vice President.  How long before the Feds move in on Lin Wood?  Very easy to find him here in Atlanta.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #3460 on: January 09, 2021, 12:35:22 PM »

Strictly speaking, she asked the military to refuse carrying out certain orders from Trump. That's asking them to not to do something instead of doing something.

But I understand that you're post was meant as a "both sides do it!" construction.

Read it again.
It says right there Pelosi asked for Trump to be removed from the chain of command.   That is not military refusing orders, that would be a coup.   We are not supposed to have a problem with that now though I see, because as long as it's against Trump it's nothing to worry about.
Catalunya
Rookie
Netherlands

« Reply #3461 on: January 09, 2021, 12:38:13 PM »

Read it again.
It says right there Pelosi asked for Trump to be removed from the chain of command.   That is not military refusing orders, that would be a coup.
How is that anywhere close to asking for a coup? She just asked if they can make sure he doesn’t start a war because that’s a real threat with him considering what happened on the sixth.
FrancoAgo
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -6.66, S: -3.33

« Reply #3462 on: January 09, 2021, 12:39:30 PM »

In the USA is not a crime following a criminal order?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #3463 on: January 09, 2021, 12:40:52 PM »

Read it again.
It says right there Pelosi asked for Trump to be removed from the chain of command.   That is not military refusing orders, that would be a coup.
How is that anywhere close to asking for a coup? She just asked if they can make sure he doesn’t start a war because that’s a real threat with him considering what happened on the sixth.

If the military removes the person the Constitution states is in charge of the military from being in charge of the military, how is that not a coup?
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #3464 on: January 09, 2021, 12:43:31 PM »

And how is Trump calling a posse to the capitol to frighten GOP senators to throw out valid ballots of millions because he wants to overturn an election he lost fair and square not sedition?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3465 on: January 09, 2021, 01:06:09 PM »

While it was certainly a stupid coup with a very low chance of success, it was a coup attempt and it's not even very hard to see how it could have "worked". (Especially if Mitch and his crew were willing to flip back to supporting Trump no matter what.)

The margin in the House is pretty small. Kill or kidnap (kidnap might be technically better because then they're still in office but not present) a score or so of Democratic representatives. Then the GOP-majority House and Senate reject enough EV's that Biden doesn't get a majority. Election goes to the House, where the GOP-led state delegations choose Trump again.

Would the non-Trump part of the nation accept it? Probably not, but that's a path to civil war, not a path to 'Biden peacefully becomes President'. Remember, we're living in a world where up until a month or so ago, 95% of the GOP backed every single thing Trump did, no matter how foolish or criminal.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #3466 on: January 09, 2021, 01:24:40 PM »

Chilling picture of the Trump cult:

Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3467 on: January 09, 2021, 01:37:58 PM »

Arrest him
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3468 on: January 09, 2021, 01:39:28 PM »

Good.  He should.  He never will, because all his cares about is his political career, even over his wife and his father.

Which is crazy because he's never ever going to be President and this should be obvious to him.  He barely won re-election in Texas.  He has no appeal to a national more moderate audience.  And he's extremely unlikable.  For a supposedly smart guy he didn't weigh the cost benefits well.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3469 on: January 09, 2021, 01:42:36 PM »

We had people with Nazi and Confederate symbols storm the Capitol, something the actual Nazis and Confederates were never able to do. It’s just crazy.

I never thought about it that way, but you are correct.
There was a disturbing green (lime-green) flag these Fascists had that I saw on TV, that very similarly resembled Nazi Germany's naval battle flag (Kriegsmarine).
Nazi scum!

Does anyone know more about what this green flag, exactly represented to these trump loons?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #3470 on: January 09, 2021, 01:46:04 PM »

I didn't have Lindsey Graham being chased through an airport by an angry mob of Trumpists on my 2021 bingo card. lol
Serves him right.

Wait, what? Link?

I know that Graham has already expressed his opposition to impeachment, but I wonder if becoming the targets of Trump's cult will make congressional Republicans more or less likely to consider impeachment. I could see someone like Mace, who clearly was particularly bothered by the storming of the Capitol, becoming hardened in their anti-Trump resolve if they are faced with the rage and insanity of his supporters. They may also feel as though they have already lost Trump's most fervent admirers by upholding the results of the election, and thus they don't have as much to lose by voting to impeach/convict him. On the other hand, they may feel increasingly desperate to please Trump's base if they feel like they may be losing favor with them.

I know this is now a ways back in the thread, but I want to point out: the single biggest worry of the vast majority of Congressional Republicans is losing a primary election. Primaries are the one risk almost all Republicans they have to their job security. Congressional Republicans will only speak out against Trump to the extent that they are confident enough in their position in a primary election (or, in some rare instances, that they worry about the general election) that they can do so; otherwise, they will continue to back everything he says or does because they worry it'll cause them to lose their primary. I firmly believe that Trump would be feeling much more worried (and may have been in trouble last year!) if primary elections did not exist.

That's why Murkowski split from her party in the Senate; she knows she can win even without winning in the primary, as she proved it herself. That's why Mace is feeling comfortable expressing her doubts, because she's worried about winning the general election. But also why we won't get many defections.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #3471 on: January 09, 2021, 01:53:58 PM »

Just noticed that they played this 1984-style dystopian video from the Lansing rally before Trump spoke and before they stormed the Capitol.

This video is an incitement of hatred and contributed to the storming.

Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #3472 on: January 09, 2021, 02:01:03 PM »

We had people with Nazi and Confederate symbols storm the Capitol, something the actual Nazis and Confederates were never able to do. It’s just crazy.

There was a disturbing green (lime-green) flag these Fascists had that I saw on TV, that very similarly resembled Nazi Germany's naval battle flag (Kriegsmarine).
Nazi scum!

Does anyone know more about what this green flag, exactly represented to these trump loons?

Are you referring to the Kekistan flag, maybe?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3473 on: January 09, 2021, 02:03:52 PM »

Kuumo

P P
« Reply #3474 on: January 09, 2021, 02:05:13 PM »

Nazi scum!

I remember seeing the Kekistan flag too.

It's used by the subset of the Alt-right community who post Pepe the Frog memes.
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 136 137 138 [139] 140 141 142 143 144 ... 197  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies