2020 electoral college voting **live commentary thread**
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:35:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  2020 electoral college voting **live commentary thread**
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12
Author Topic: 2020 electoral college voting **live commentary thread**  (Read 11920 times)
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: December 14, 2020, 05:25:25 PM »

More lunacy from the state of Texas...

So what does this mean exactly? Seems like the exact thing the D hacks here insisted would never ever happen.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #201 on: December 14, 2020, 05:26:49 PM »

So what does this mean exactly? Seems like the exact thing the D hacks here insisted would never ever happen.
If I understand correctly they're saying the same thing Trump and his allies have been saying for the past few weeks.  I'm not sure why these legislatures would do this now if they haven't already.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #202 on: December 14, 2020, 05:27:35 PM »

It's utterly meaningless. It's an entirely non-binding statement with no force of law about states that have already completed their elections, from people who have absolutely no legal authority over those states.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #203 on: December 14, 2020, 05:27:51 PM »

California's 55 for Biden.

That's it, folks!
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #204 on: December 14, 2020, 05:28:10 PM »

If I understand correctly they're saying the same thing Trump and his allies have been saying for the past few weeks.  I'm not sure why these legislatures would do this now if they haven't already.

In fact, it means even less than it did before, since the constitutional precedent set in the Hayes-Tilden election is that appointing or changing electors after the statutory EC voting date is impossible.
compucomp

« Reply #205 on: December 14, 2020, 05:28:59 PM »

Stop dooming about this, the "state legislator coup" was always legally dubious since all states have laws to appoint the electors by popular vote winner, and if it were to be done, it had to be done before the electors actually voted. You can now proceed to doom about fake "dueling electors" and the Electoral Count Act instead.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #206 on: December 14, 2020, 05:30:59 PM »

Very impressive achievement for Biden & Harris.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #207 on: December 14, 2020, 05:31:13 PM »

Finally over!

President Joseph R. Biden! Feels so great, since I've been with him from April 2019 when he announced.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #208 on: December 14, 2020, 05:31:31 PM »

Do college electors even have powers to demand anything?

They don't.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #209 on: December 14, 2020, 05:32:24 PM »

It's amazing how Trump keeps playing this game yet never (at least, not yet) cross the line into open insurrection which would get him arrested or exiled.

I'm still thinking it's a realistic possibility that at some point Trump really drinks his own Kool-Aid, takes his arguments to their logical conclusion, and tries to start a coup (or armed rebellion after he's out of office).
Trump himself hasn't (to my knowledge) called for undermining the electoral college. It's more likely GOP officials competing to lick his behind to win his coveted endorsement in future elections. This happens all the time in dictatorships, where local officials compete to prove their loyalty to the infallible leader and do things that the leader was either unaware of, or even didn't support. In Germany, they called this "working towards the Führer", since Hitler disliked the bureaucracy and preferred barking orders that were interpreted by his underlings as license to take the most radical measures to please him.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #210 on: December 14, 2020, 05:33:03 PM »

Stop dooming about this, the "state legislator coup" was always legally dubious since all states have laws to appoint the electors by popular vote winner, and if it were to be done, it had to be done before the electors actually voted. You can now proceed to doom about fake "dueling electors" and the Electoral Count Act instead.

Everything done by Trump while president is legally dubious, and that has stopped none of it. And I asked a question as on the surface this is what it seems--if you want to cover your ears and pretend nothing is wrong then go find some left wing Fox equivalent.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #211 on: December 14, 2020, 05:33:54 PM »

Cry, MAGA b*****s
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #212 on: December 14, 2020, 05:34:18 PM »

Now onto the house vote, let's see what goes on there on Jan 6th
Stockdale for Veep

« Reply #213 on: December 14, 2020, 05:34:48 PM »

Dueling Electors at Dawn !

Whoa, I never meant to brag, but I got him where I want him now
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #214 on: December 14, 2020, 05:38:36 PM »

Now onto the house vote, let's see what goes on there on Jan 6th
Some GOP shenanigans in the House but the outcome remains the same - Joe Biden and Kamala Harris are the next president and vice president.
compucomp

« Reply #215 on: December 14, 2020, 05:39:02 PM »

Everything done by Trump while president is legally dubious, and that has stopped none of it. And I asked a question as on the surface this is what it seems--if you want to cover your ears and pretend nothing is wrong then go find some left wing Fox equivalent.

The vote by the Texas electors is pure grandstanding. They have no right to compel the PA/WI/MI/GA legislatures to do anything. Trump demanded the same thing of these legislatures for week and they didn't do what he asked, and now after the electors already voted the state legislator coup is dead as I and multiple others have pointed out.

If you want to doom, at least doom about something which has a nonzero chance of happening, such as weird Electoral Count Act shenanigans with these illegitimate "dueling electors."
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #216 on: December 14, 2020, 05:39:23 PM »

It's amazing how Trump keeps playing this game yet never (at least, not yet) cross the line into open insurrection which would get him arrested or exiled.

I'm still thinking it's a realistic possibility that at some point Trump really drinks his own Kool-Aid, takes his arguments to their logical conclusion, and tries to start a coup (or armed rebellion after he's out of office).
Trump himself hasn't (to my knowledge) called for undermining the electoral college. It's more likely GOP officials competing to lick his behind to win his coveted endorsement in future elections. This happens all the time in dictatorships, where local officials compete to prove their loyalty to the infallible leader and do things that the leader was either unaware of, or even didn't support. In Germany, they called this "working towards the Führer", since Hitler disliked the bureaucracy and preferred barking orders that were interpreted by his underlings as license to take the most radical measures to please him.

Yes, the cumulative self-radicalization theory. I'm a proponent of it.
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #217 on: December 14, 2020, 05:41:34 PM »

LtNOWIS

« Reply #218 on: December 14, 2020, 05:41:56 PM »

It's utterly meaningless. It's an entirely non-binding statement with no force of law about states that have already completed their elections, from people who have absolutely no legal authority over those states.
It's like if I sued someone in court, got laughed out of court in ten minutes because my demands were absurd, and then typed up my grievances on fancy letterhead and sent them to the court and to the people I tried to sue.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #219 on: December 14, 2020, 05:43:45 PM »

Good for Trump.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #220 on: December 14, 2020, 05:46:38 PM »

Of course, if Hitler was morally responsible for all the actions of the Nazi Party, even where he didn't personally issue orders, then Trump is morally responsible for all the independent actions of GOP officials over the past five weeks.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #221 on: December 14, 2020, 05:48:01 PM »

Of course, if Hitler was morally responsible for all the actions of the Nazi Party, even where he didn't personally issue orders, then Trump is morally responsible for all the independent actions of GOP officials over the past five weeks.

Completely agreed.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #222 on: December 14, 2020, 05:53:44 PM »

The vote by the Texas electors is pure grandstanding. They have no right to compel the PA/WI/MI/GA legislatures to do anything. Trump demanded the same thing of these legislatures for week and they didn't do what he asked, and now after the electors already voted the state legislator coup is dead as I and multiple others have pointed out.

If you want to doom, at least doom about something which has a nonzero chance of happening, such as weird Electoral Count Act shenanigans with these illegitimate "dueling electors."

I'm talking about the alternate slate of electors that cast votes, which did in fact happen.
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #223 on: December 14, 2020, 05:54:19 PM »

My hunch is that tonight, Joe Biden won the Presidency of the United States.

Fully agreed. This is a disaster for his campaign.

Congratulations, Atlas Dems.

I'll believe it when the Electoral College votes in December.

Now I can pop my virtual champagne bottle. 🥳🥂 I’ll stop dooming and s—tposting about swings and trends for a bit. Stay safe everyone!
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #224 on: December 14, 2020, 05:59:16 PM »

I'm talking about the alternate slate of electors that cast votes, which did in fact happen.

That's not what the Texas electors are talking about here. The "alternate slates of electors" were just the Trump electors meeting and casting votes on their own, without official backing from any state government organ whatsoever. The Texas electors are calling on the swing state legislators to (unconstitutionally) ratify that action retroactively.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies