Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:45:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 202 203 204 [205] 206 207 208 209 210 ... 284
Author Topic: Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration  (Read 340688 times)
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5100 on: November 02, 2021, 08:38:48 PM »

I would be curious to see if Glenn's victory is thanks to Asian Americans. As a Asian American myself, especially a Vietnamese American, I am one of the few democrat Asian Americans that I know of.

In the more working class Asian communities, it's actually cultural conservativism. Obedience, respect your parents, working hard. Perhaps Glenn played into that.

It's interesting: most of the Republican Indian-Americans that I've encountered come from upper-class suburban families (I'm an example of one).  By contrast, the working-class Indian-Americans I know skew heavily Democratic.  

2020 may have changed that cause while this is anecdotel the working class family members I have were much more likely to vote Trump than the more upper middle class types even though they used to be much more solidly democratic

Nope, this was largely the case in 2020 (at least in my own social experiences) -- though I understand that this runs counter-intuitive to wholesale 2020 trends.  

As a whole, though, we're still a relatively Democratic-voting group.  I've always found this interesting considering the stereotype of cultural conservatism that surrounds us.  Hell, I still can't wear leggings-as-pants around my grandma haha. 

I will say that the (mostly age 18-35 and US-raised) Indian Americans on Atlas seem more right-wing than the ones I knew growing up and from college.

Indian Americans are definitely the most "white-adjacent" major Asian group. It makes total sense that they (would if they don't already) vote like Jewish Americans given the broad similarities on cultural values and class/occupational profile.

Indians are also the largest single Asian group in VA, so if there was a significant R swing among Asian American voters we should expect major R shifts in Indian-heavy areas, along with Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, and Filipino-heavy areas in NoVA and maybe Hampton Roads + Richmond.

Can always count on you for all things Asian-American-politics, khuzi! Tongue

And oh you don't need to tell me that many of us Indoan-Americans are white-adjacent.  I'm in the midst of Dhanteras tonight, but I still love my Starbucks and Lululemon dammit!
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #5101 on: November 02, 2021, 08:39:07 PM »

Oh! Forgot to mention. Something needs to be done about the Lincoln Project.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5102 on: November 02, 2021, 08:39:40 PM »

Holy crap Lynchburg! Biden narrowly won this county last year. Almost 86% of the vote is in.

Liberty University seems like Biden-Youngkin central. Trump's policies were fine to them but he said bad unchristian things, and that's worse than any policy.

Kaine barely won it in 2018, Hillary lost it by 9, and Northam either barely lost it or barely won it.

Yup, this pretty d$%nming for a former Governor that was actually quite popular when he left.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #5103 on: November 02, 2021, 08:39:44 PM »

The Lincoln Project is a joke
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5104 on: November 02, 2021, 08:40:38 PM »

Fairfax is at 64-34 with 88% in.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5105 on: November 02, 2021, 08:40:42 PM »

They need to meet the fate of Lincoln himself.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5106 on: November 02, 2021, 08:41:00 PM »

Remember the just a few hours ago McAuliffe was secure because of 'muh turnout'?

Remember when you said you'd leave for a year?

I mean… posts like that deserve some form of consequence lol

You can’t sprinkle the board with the same opinion over and over and promise to go away if wrong - then don’t go. Then when the blind squirrel finds a nut he comes back to GOAT? Seems as unfair as trying to overturn a free and fair election…..

When I was wrong I put my money where my mouth was and paid.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5107 on: November 02, 2021, 08:41:26 PM »

It wasn't really the lincoln project lol.  They just volunteered to fall on the sword.  Are pretty really telling themselves that lie?  It was the VA Dems 100%.  Literally their employees.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5108 on: November 02, 2021, 08:41:55 PM »

The networks haven't called it.
Perlen vor den Schweinen
kongress
United States

« Reply #5109 on: November 02, 2021, 08:42:14 PM »

Ah well. You Winsome, and you McAuliffesome.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5110 on: November 02, 2021, 08:42:21 PM »

Dems need to give up on wokeness, get stricter on Manchin/Sinema so that we can actually get legislative accomplishments, and improve their messaging. It still baffles me how Dem politicians are so out of touch that they’re still under the impression that saying the vastly unpopular term “Latinx” is beneficial for them electorally. They should have caught onto this a year ago. They fact that they’re still saying it shows how out of touch they are

Look, I know that I'm out of touch and live under a rock, but I do think Democrats should avoid woke language (Matt Y. & David Shor's popularism, etc., etc.), but I also think we have? I just can't think of an example of someone who won a Dem primary recently being exceedingly woke in messaging. Last I checked we aren't choosing Elizabeth Warren and Maya Wiley to lead us into general elections. Where is this happening? Who is doing it? I just don't know how we're supposed to *stop* doing it if our leaders aren't doing it in the first place. I'm asking this as a genuine practical question. If wokeness emanates from "the cultural left, in aggregate"--rather than Democratic top brass--how is it supposed to be eliminated on the campaign trail?

The issue is the cultural left is what the backlash is against, especially against the fact that nearly every institution has seemingly embraced them .

And what exactly is the national Democratic party supposed to do about dumb non-profit leaders and questionable choices by some dean at Yale? Like I agree that this is making us look bad and we obviously shouldn't run in support of it, but we *aren't.* This is a social issue, not something that can be turned into relevant policy at the federal or state levels.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5111 on: November 02, 2021, 08:42:28 PM »

REALLY close in NJ. 49.8-49.4
Thunder98 🇮🇱 🤝 🇵🇸
Thunder98
United States

P P P
« Reply #5112 on: November 02, 2021, 08:42:36 PM »

LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #5113 on: November 02, 2021, 08:42:45 PM »

1 year to course correct.

1 year.

Otherwise, well, I know some of y'all are too young to really remember 2010. Let me just say it is PAIN.

Can't really compare it to 2010 given that the economic situation then was substantially worse. 2014? Possibly, but 2010 was a unique confluence of economic and political discontent that's hard to replicate
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #5114 on: November 02, 2021, 08:42:45 PM »

LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #5115 on: November 02, 2021, 08:43:22 PM »

Essex and Union barely have any results yet.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #5116 on: November 02, 2021, 08:43:52 PM »

1 year to course correct.

1 year.

Otherwise, well, I know some of y'all are too young to really remember 2010. Let me just say it is PAIN.

Anybody on here remember 1994? (The midterms, not Tonya Harding or Nine-Inch-Nails Tongue)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5117 on: November 02, 2021, 08:44:24 PM »

Let’s just make this clear

1) absolutely no one but GOP partisans care about CRT
2) The white suburbs were never really loyal to the Democratic Party
3) The Democratic party has told young people and progressives to shut up and aren’t in the mood to have them in office and take credit for their ideas, thus leading to poor governance
4) No one but GOP partisans care about Covid “tyranny”
5) Tmac ran a dog•••• campaign and has an awful personality
6) even still, he was chosen by Democratic primary voters over anyone else who would have won
7) The Biden Administration’s complete lack of care for raising people’s living standards in the midst of the greatest societal upheaval since the 1930s was universally unpopular and made people feel cheated
Cool The Clinton Crime Family are not liked by the average American voter

You went from being a respectable leftist on this site to a bit of a crazy.
I’d like to know specific objections to this
Still no objections.
Vespucci
United States

« Reply #5118 on: November 02, 2021, 08:44:56 PM »

Apparently they're expecting a blue shift there. The margin is definitely something to watch, though.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #5119 on: November 02, 2021, 08:45:14 PM »

I remember when Bob McDonnell had won in 2009 and everybody had said that the bad state of the economy and unemployment being at 7.3 percent is what caused Creigh Deeds to lose in a huge landslide

fast fowared to 2021 terry mcauliffe is going to lose at a time when unemployment was at 3.8 percent and covid cases were low

In the end it just goes to show you that voters will find any reason to throw a party out of power lol
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5120 on: November 02, 2021, 08:45:19 PM »

Yeah, that's a 'too weak' margin.
Richmond is also in in WA Post, with Youngkin at 32% there.
Virginia Beach and Chesapeake are in the vicinity of 19-point Youngkin wins.
I've seen enough.
Calling it for Youngkin.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #5121 on: November 02, 2021, 08:45:35 PM »

Ugh.  Beautiful.  (Not the Trump part, but y'know.)
omar04

« Reply #5122 on: November 02, 2021, 08:46:27 PM »

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1455709057185107970

HD28 was just called for another pickup.

https://twitter.com/notlarrysabato/status/1455711580096634884
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5123 on: November 02, 2021, 08:46:52 PM »

Let’s just make this clear

1) absolutely no one but GOP partisans care about CRT
2) The white suburbs were never really loyal to the Democratic Party
3) The Democratic party has told young people and progressives to shut up and aren’t in the mood to have them in office and take credit for their ideas, thus leading to poor governance
4) No one but GOP partisans care about Covid “tyranny”
5) Tmac ran a dog•••• campaign and has an awful personality
6) even still, he was chosen by Democratic primary voters over anyone else who would have won
7) The Biden Administration’s complete lack of care for raising people’s living standards in the midst of the greatest societal upheaval since the 1930s was universally unpopular and made people feel cheated
Cool The Clinton Crime Family are not liked by the average American voter
I disagree with a majority of these but I'm not in the mood to debate it right now. Disappointing night.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #5124 on: November 02, 2021, 08:47:36 PM »

Dems need to give up on wokeness, get stricter on Manchin/Sinema so that we can actually get legislative accomplishments, and improve their messaging. It still baffles me how Dem politicians are so out of touch that they’re still under the impression that saying the vastly unpopular term “Latinx” is beneficial for them electorally. They should have caught onto this a year ago. They fact that they’re still saying it shows how out of touch they are

Look, I know that I'm out of touch and live under a rock, but I do think Democrats should avoid woke language (Matt Y. & David Shor's popularism, etc.) That said, I also think we have. I just can't think of an example of someone who won a Dem primary recently being exceedingly woke in their messaging. Last I checked we aren't choosing Elizabeth Warren and Maya Wiley to lead us into general elections. Where is this happening? Who is doing it? I just don't know how we're supposed to *stop* doing it if our leaders aren't doing it in the first place. I'm asking this as a genuine practical question. If wokeness emanates from "the cultural left, in aggregate"--rather than Democratic top brass--how is it supposed to be eliminated on the campaign trail?
Plenty of Dem politicians say Latinx, for example
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 202 203 204 [205] 206 207 208 209 210 ... 284  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies