Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:47:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 199 200 201 [202] 203 204 205 206 207 ... 284
Author Topic: Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration  (Read 340689 times)
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5025 on: November 02, 2021, 08:11:29 PM »

Something democrats don’t get is : Responding to the CRT debate by saying but it isn’t taught in public schools is ok if it isn’t then why are you guys getting so worked up by opposing candidates saying they will ban it . If it isn’t being taught than that ban shouldn’t change a thing right .

What is there to ban?   You want to erase certain history lessons or something?  It's not like CRT is a uniform textualized program outside of maybe law school. 

Outlaw any claim that racial "privilege" is true

So you're anti free speech and support political correctness, got it.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5026 on: November 02, 2021, 08:11:45 PM »

Something democrats don’t get is : Responding to the CRT debate by saying but it isn’t taught in public schools is ok if it isn’t then why are you guys getting so worked up by opposing candidates saying they will ban it . If it isn’t being taught than that ban shouldn’t change a thing right .

Yep. Saying it isn't being taught doesn't help when you turn around and try to defend it, even in a small way. Suburban parents see Democrats carrying water for something they heavily dislike and this makes them angry.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #5027 on: November 02, 2021, 08:11:50 PM »

I would be curious to see if Glenn's victory is thanks to Asian Americans. As a Asian American myself, especially a Vietnamese American, I am one of the few democrat Asian Americans that I know of.

In the more working class Asian communities, it's actually cultural conservativism. Obedience, respect your parents, working hard. Perhaps Glenn played into that.

Most second generation Asian Americans are Democrats. At any rate, Youngkin's margin is too large for it to be primarily attributable to Asian voters.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5028 on: November 02, 2021, 08:12:13 PM »

Fairfax just went from 54% to 71% and Youngkin has increased his share of the vote...I feel like we'll start to get some projections soon maybe.
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5029 on: November 02, 2021, 08:12:32 PM »

I would be curious to see if Glenn's victory is thanks to Asian Americans. As a Asian American myself, especially a Vietnamese American, I am one of the few democrat Asian Americans that I know of.

In the more working class Asian communities, it's actually cultural conservativism. Obedience, respect your parents, working hard. Perhaps Glenn played into that.

FWIW it's also a thing in more bougie Asian households. We'll have to wait until the NoVA results are fully in, but 1) VA's Asian percentage is too low and 2) Youngkin/GOP seem to be winning by too much for Asians to be the deciding factor like they might've been in GA 2020.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5030 on: November 02, 2021, 08:12:36 PM »

Since this thread is apparently for all elections tonight, in NJ-GOV, Cape May shows 100% reported with Murphy winning 53-46. He lost it in 2017 (53-45).

Was supposed to be a thread for ALL elections, but naturally Atlas being Atlas turned into a VA GOV thread only at some point and other election results are popping up in various random threads elsewhere.

Wish this could have been split off into different megathreads earlier, but the Mods on here have a thankless job.     Sad   

THANK YOU MODS FOR ALL OF YOUR VOLUNTARY SERVICE WITH VIRTUALLY NO RECOGNITION!!!!!
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #5031 on: November 02, 2021, 08:12:37 PM »

That Delta 8 gummy kicked in right about now!!! DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA!!!
Y'all all need to get in on this.

You partying with BRTD?

Told him a few weeks back that was bad for his health and unregulated by the FDA.

I was going to ask why the hell BRTD is messing with that crap when weed is legal in MN, only to Google it and find it somehow is not yet! That's shocking to me.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #5032 on: November 02, 2021, 08:12:43 PM »

LOL at all the people on this forum who 1 - 2 days ago were on the "TMAC will win by 10" train.

literally who said that
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5033 on: November 02, 2021, 08:12:51 PM »

Also, it's entirely possible the pandemic and school closures had a larger effect on the education vote. Parents aren't only concerned about CRT

Yes, the Democrats are under the mistaken impression that they are the party of education.  They are merely the party of teachers' unions.  Schools don't exist so that 35-year-old school staff can pretend that coronavirus is the biggest threat to their lives.  They exist to educate children.  And when you lose sight of that basic fact, you are asking for trouble.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #5034 on: November 02, 2021, 08:13:25 PM »

Larry Sabato is on TV basically blaming Manchin/Sinema for the outcome, arguing that if the BBB bills had passed, T-Mac would have had something to run on and "sell" but was left with nothing. Seems like a reasonable analysis.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #5035 on: November 02, 2021, 08:13:27 PM »

Since this thread is apparently for all elections tonight, in NJ-GOV, Cape May shows 100% reported with Murphy winning 53-46. He lost it in 2017 (53-45).

I'm assuming that's a bug because the Cape May numbers are extremely low.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #5036 on: November 02, 2021, 08:13:55 PM »

It's interesting: most of the Republican Indian-Americans that I've encountered come from upper-class suburban families (I'm an example of one).  By contrast, the working-class Indian-Americans I know skew heavily Democratic.  

2020 may have changed that cause while this is anecdotel the working class family members I have were much more likely to vote Trump than the more upper middle class types even though they used to be much more solidly democratic
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5037 on: November 02, 2021, 08:14:11 PM »

What is there to ban?   You want to erase certain history lessons or something?  It's not like CRT is a uniform textualized program outside of maybe law school. 

Outlaw any claim that racial "privilege" is true

So teachers should be forced to lie to students.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #5038 on: November 02, 2021, 08:14:19 PM »

Democrats should just pass a "No Critical Race Theory in Public Schools Act" and spend a few million highlighting it in white suburban battleground districts honestly. It wouldn't actually do anything policy-wise, takes the issue off the table politically, and is not something the Democratic base cares about en masse.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5039 on: November 02, 2021, 08:14:40 PM »

FWIW it's also a thing in more bougie Asian households. We'll have to wait until the NoVA results are fully in, but VA's Asian percentage is too low and Youngkin + GOP seem to be winning by too much for Asians to be the deciding factor.

That's right. Also true. We have to see the demographics.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5040 on: November 02, 2021, 08:15:26 PM »

NSV completely awol
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #5041 on: November 02, 2021, 08:15:29 PM »

Guys the Republican shift was generic across demographics. CRT wasn't the only thing that happened in the election. Youngkin ran a sunny, moderate campaign and Biden is unpopular. That's it.

Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5042 on: November 02, 2021, 08:15:39 PM »

Democrats should just pass a "No Critical Race Theory in Public Schools Act" and spend a few million highlighting it in white suburban battleground districts honestly. It wouldn't actually do anything policy-wise, takes the issue off the table politically, and is not something the Democratic base cares about en masse.

"CRT" is more Republican propaganda at this point than anything Democrats are pushing for.   

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5043 on: November 02, 2021, 08:16:38 PM »

Guys the Republican shift was generic across demographics. CRT wasn't the only thing that happened in the election. Youngkin ran a sunny, moderate campaign and Biden is unpopular. That's it.

ROTFL Youngkin did not run an even remotely moderate campaign
TodayJunior
United States

« Reply #5044 on: November 02, 2021, 08:16:51 PM »

That Delta 8 gummy kicked in right about now!!! DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA!!!
Y'all all need to get in on this.

You partying with BRTD?

Told him a few weeks back that was bad for his health and unregulated by the FDA.
I mean if you do it every day, yes. once or twice a month is fine. Moderation is key. But everyone on these Virginia threads makes me want to do it all the time. But I digress. Cheers!!

here in Florida, it's hit or miss. Alot of supplement places here carry Delta 8. I take it mostly for muscle relaxation after a week of heavy weight lifting.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #5045 on: November 02, 2021, 08:17:14 PM »

It's interesting: most of the Republican Indian-Americans that I've encountered come from upper-class suburban families (I'm an example of one).  By contrast, the working-class Indian-Americans I know skew heavily Democratic.  

2020 may have changed that cause while this is anecdotel the working class family members I have were much more likely to vote Trump than the more upper middle class types even though they used to be much more solidly democratic

Nope, this was largely the case in 2020 (at least in my own social experiences) -- though I understand that this runs counter-intuitive to wholesale 2020 trends.  

As a whole, though, we're still a relatively Democratic-voting group.  I've always found this interesting considering the stereotype of cultural conservatism that surrounds us.  Hell, I still can't wear leggings-as-pants around my grandma haha. 
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5046 on: November 02, 2021, 08:17:26 PM »

I'm afraid to say this country's demise is occurring sooner than I thought.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #5047 on: November 02, 2021, 08:17:30 PM »

Well I don’t think TMac is winning by 6 anymore lol
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5048 on: November 02, 2021, 08:18:37 PM »

Well I don’t think TMac is winning by 6 anymore lol

He's more likely to lose by 6
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #5049 on: November 02, 2021, 08:18:41 PM »

OK, I'll wait to do my little postmortem until after everyone else has, but here are some preliminary thoughts:

- "Trump voters won't show up without Trump on the ticket" – probably false
- "Suburbanites are locked in for the Democrats" – probably false
- We should stop choosing candidates based on electability, or rather stop assuming we know who is electable. I think if the primary had been less of a coronation the eventual nominee (whoever it was) wouldn't have taken this race for granted the way TMac did.
- I remember there had been some talk about Youngkin outrunning the rest of the ticket; in other words, the theory was that a Youngkin win would show more about his popularity/TMac's unpopularity than Virginia as a whole. Doesn't seem to be the case; all the Republicans are doing pretty similarly
- With that in mind, I think the Democrats really need to engage more with Biden's unpopularity; it's clearly buoying Republicans
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 199 200 201 [202] 203 204 205 206 207 ... 284  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies