2020 Presidential Election Results & Exit Polls commentary thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 05:54:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  2020 Presidential Election Results & Exit Polls commentary thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 573 574 575 576 577 [578] 579 580 581 582 583 ... 818
Author Topic: 2020 Presidential Election Results & Exit Polls commentary thread  (Read 638155 times)
xavier110
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14425 on: November 06, 2020, 03:29:01 PM »

I'll say something about the gays later. But the LGBT vote is 7% of all voters which is impressive.

The recruiting is working I see
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #14426 on: November 06, 2020, 03:29:05 PM »

Well I just donated $10 each to Ossoff and Warnock.
Just to clarify: as a foreigner, I am in no way allowed to donate to a US senate campaign, right?

No.

Unless you send the money to a US citizen who donates it for you.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14427 on: November 06, 2020, 03:29:16 PM »

Hey, gonna be that guy, just got back here after many hours, can someone give me a basic gestalt on what I've missed? Where does everything stand right now? This thread is my primary source of info and I love you all Purple heart

Biden's very narrowly ahead in  AZ, NV, PA and GA, and is the presumptive President-elect, but counting won't be truly finished for days. It's close enough major networks aren't publicly calling the election yet. Donnie Dumb**** is getting increasingly unhinged, and his campaign is tossing out election-related lawsuits. Most Republicans politicians are on the record as opposing his more outrageous statements. Biden is looking more Presidential by the hour.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14428 on: November 06, 2020, 03:29:27 PM »

Every tsunami starts as a small wave. Meh.  Tongue
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #14429 on: November 06, 2020, 03:29:34 PM »

Also giving pronunciation lessons: DeKalb (second syllable like taxi cab) County; House-ton County; Al-Bane-y.

I found out from watching CNN that DeKalb and Gwinnett are actually pronounced duh-KAB and gwin-ETT, not duh-KAHLB and GWIN-it. Good thing no one on Atlas could hear me mentally mispronouncing DeKalb, Gwinnett, and Albany counties! I already knew about House-ton from someone on Atlas though.

My cousin works in UK Parliament.  You want to talk about hard-to-pronounce counties:  I got yelled at for mispronouncing "Tyne and Wear". 
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #14430 on: November 06, 2020, 03:29:47 PM »

Just to clarify: as a foreigner, I am in no way allowed to donate to a US senate campaign, right?

No.

Are you sure that's legal? It sounds a lot like what d'nesh d'souza went to jail for.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #14431 on: November 06, 2020, 03:29:57 PM »

A big thank you from Georgia!!! Smiley
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14432 on: November 06, 2020, 03:30:16 PM »

No.

Pretty sure isn’t kosher either.
ucscgaldamez1
Rookie
« Reply #14433 on: November 06, 2020, 03:30:33 PM »

I thought Gwinnett,  GA was supposed to report their vote count today.  Is that not happening?

Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #14434 on: November 06, 2020, 03:32:13 PM »

No.

You could also form a corporation and do an independent expenditure.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14435 on: November 06, 2020, 03:33:04 PM »

This was the organization saying Fox called AZ too early and they were even invited on Hannity to say so against the network's call but now they're saying Trump is not likely to catch up.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #14436 on: November 06, 2020, 03:33:30 PM »

Why do you have all the ballots on one paper? In the UK, we'd have separate ballots for each election.

How many elections do you have at one time?  In many US states, people are often asked to vote for 20 or more offices and initiatives during some general elections.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14437 on: November 06, 2020, 03:33:41 PM »

No.

Our own Antonio V once had to get a refund from the Sanders 2016 campaign after he unwittingly violated this law.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #14438 on: November 06, 2020, 03:33:58 PM »

No.

Yeah, as if the FEC would care if I transfer 20€ to the US and some US citizen then donates (in his/her name !) to the GA campaigns ...
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14439 on: November 06, 2020, 03:34:37 PM »

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #14440 on: November 06, 2020, 03:34:53 PM »

No.

Our own Antonio V once had to get a refund from the Sanders 2016 campaign after he unwittingly violated this law.

He’s a foreigner and not a US citizen.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #14441 on: November 06, 2020, 03:35:16 PM »

No.

Yeah, as if the FEC would care if I transfer 20€ to the US and some US citizen then donates (in his/her name !) to the GA campaigns ...

I mean, they might. Good thing you didn't leave a paper trail on an open source forum or anything ...
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #14442 on: November 06, 2020, 03:35:25 PM »

This was the organization saying Fox called AZ too early and they were even invited on Hannity to say so against the network's call but now they're saying Trump is not likely to catch up.

Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14443 on: November 06, 2020, 03:35:48 PM »

Also giving pronunciation lessons: DeKalb (second syllable like taxi cab) County; House-ton County; Al-Bane-y.

I found out from watching CNN that DeKalb and Gwinnett are actually pronounced duh-KAB and gwin-ETT, not duh-KAHLB and GWIN-it. Good thing no one on Atlas could hear me mentally mispronouncing DeKalb, Gwinnett, and Albany counties! I already knew about House-ton from someone on Atlas though.

Great! Now try Dacula, Dahlonega, Lithonia, and Martinez. 
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #14444 on: November 06, 2020, 03:35:53 PM »

Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14445 on: November 06, 2020, 03:35:55 PM »

Small wave.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #14446 on: November 06, 2020, 03:36:37 PM »

No.

All the best legal advice begins with "It's illegal, but here's how to do it anyway and not get in trouble."
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14447 on: November 06, 2020, 03:36:40 PM »

The Doom is settling in on the right.
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14448 on: November 06, 2020, 03:36:50 PM »

Kind of crazy how Trump did better with non-white voters than any Republican nominee since 1960 and still lost!

Shocking, really.  Trump of all people.  Very probably the most racist president in modern times.

People have talked about this and beaten it to death and hurled plenty of insults at those who explain why and give reasons that are not always 100% positive or don't seem rational (without actually refuting any points made), and the fact that this happens explains exactly why this is so hard for people to grasp. Many people just don't understand other communities or cultures, and have to see that understanding other communities and cultures is knowing the good and the bad, and understanding that seemingly irrational behavior to one person is completely normal to another. There are people I know from Mexico and Taiwan who say that there are some things they just don't understand about America/Americans because they make absolutely no sense, and when I reflect on these things, I definitely think they have a point.

In the end, people of color supporting someone as racist as Trump in larger numbers than before makes about as much sense as rural working class white voters supporting someone as far removed from the working class in rural areas as Trump. It seems irrational, and you can definitely argue that it is to an extent (or criticize the logic behind the decision), but it does pay to understand why people see things differently.

Please, educate us. NOT sarcastic here.

I can't speak for latinos or blacks, but i can contribute a bit as an Asian that most Asians, particularly older ones, are socially conservative. If exit polls are correct that Asians swing toward Trump, I'm not surprised by it because my anecdotal experience corresponds with it as well.

Many of us have first generation immigrant parents that would vote for the conservative party of our native country.

We have identified as non-privileged minorities and sided as Obama's coalition but strangely enough, I have begun to observe more than a few around me that, despite Trump's rhetorics, seem to sympathize, and even extol merits in his behaviors (media is untrustworthy, BLM is rude)

These are some of the things I have heard over the last 4 years. It's unfortunate that Trump will be written in history as racially depolarizing candidate but whether this happened because of him and not in spite of him is less conspicuous to me. I'm still of the belief that Kasich would have won OH by double digits and Midwest convincingly over Clinton and Biden. (Kasich had a positive net approval among blacks in 2016) In some sense, one can argue that electing Trump might have decelerated Democrats' collapse among non-whites.

Last year I would've expected both AAPIs and Latinos to swing D, while ADOS blacks would swing R- because of how the Republican party is becoming more nationalist/nativist, and because of 45's skill at pitting different groups of people against each other. I did not anticipate the R swing among Latinos, or how strongly older/foreign-raised Asians would react to BLM. But the MSM's bias probably outweighed everything else in the end.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #14449 on: November 06, 2020, 03:36:57 PM »

According to exit polls published by the NYT (https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/11/03/us/elections/exit-polls-president.html) Trump has doubled his share of LGBTQ voters since 2016. Can someone explain this?

LGBTs trending Republican is somewhat bound to happen as homosexual people/relationships become a more visible and accepted part of society.  It isn't so much previously Democratic-voting LGBTs swinging Trump, as it is a lot more LGBTs (mostly White, cis-gendered gay men) being empowered to come out in conservative parts of the South and Mountain West.

Consider that the overwhelmingly vast majority of children being raised by a LGBT parent are not adopted by same-sex people or couples (in fact, only about 200k of ~3 million are) but rather biological children of LGBT people from a previous or current different-sex relationship.  I'd imagine LGBT parents are way more conservative than LGBT youth/singles.   

Being gay in America is increasingly less about rainbow flags and pride parades.  It's inching closer to the margins of "normal small town/suburbia."
Pages: 1 ... 573 574 575 576 577 [578] 579 580 581 582 583 ... 818  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies