The fight to replace Ruth Bader Ginsburg megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:29:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The fight to replace Ruth Bader Ginsburg megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 32
Author Topic: The fight to replace Ruth Bader Ginsburg megathread  (Read 39270 times)
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2020, 03:28:19 PM »

If Biden wins and McConell nominates someone in the lame duck....that is vile. VILE.

I mean, if that happens, Biden's packing the courts. (And realistically, I can't see any Senators who aren't ok with voting for the nominee now changing their minds if Biden wins.)
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2020, 03:29:20 PM »

Bad sign.  That essentially tells us that McConnell has already locked up the 50 votes he needs if Collins is allowed to come out publicly against the fast-track confirmation.

Uhhh..

Maybe she doesn't want to be blanched?
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2020, 03:31:51 PM »

Bad sign.  That essentially tells us that McConnell has already locked up the 50 votes he needs if Collins is allowed to come out publicly against the fast-track confirmation.

I don't think Collins give a -f what McConnell thinks at this point.

It's every man/woman for himself/herself.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2020, 03:39:57 PM »

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=356452.0

I voted on this poll HI because I think it required you to vote to see but anyway most of you dems already supported court packing in January. Whatever, Im pretty sure the D base would have pushed for court packing from the beginning with or without a 3rd pick.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2020, 03:45:30 PM »
« Edited: September 19, 2020, 03:49:53 PM by pppolitics »

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=356452.0

I voted on this poll HI because I think it required you to vote to see but anyway most of you dems already supported court packing in January. Whatever, Im pretty sure the D base would have pushed for court packing from the beginning with or without a 3rd pick.

That is what happens when McConnell refused to even allow the Senate to vote on Merrick Garland.

Anyway, that is for a different thread.
Splash
United States

« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2020, 03:58:55 PM »

What do you guys think Alexander is going to do? Has he made a statement yet?
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2020, 04:01:49 PM »

Mitch is going to finish off our most sacred institution. Schumer is going to drown the body in the river.

People need to take to the streets, this is unacceptable governance and their needs to be decisive and swift action taken to correct it.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2020, 04:03:49 PM »

This is why, to a certain extent, some sort of benevolent dictatorship is far superior to whatever mess we call our system.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2020, 04:08:53 PM »

Can somebody decode this secret message?

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2020, 04:12:44 PM »

What do you guys think Alexander is going to do? Has he made a statement yet?

Some random political reporter at George Mason said his sources were telling him that Alexander is a no (but nobody else has reported that so it obviously needs to be taken with a huge grain of salt), but other than that, nothing.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2020, 04:15:39 PM »

If Biden wins and McConell nominates someone in the lame duck....that is vile. VILE.

You know that if Biden won and Democrats picked up 3 Senate seats and Ginsburg died January 19, Mike Pence would break the tie for confirmation on the morning of January 20.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2020, 04:18:38 PM »

I somehow doubt a staffer tweeted that.

Doing a public service to the owner of the pigeon, or at least making the loss memorable.
It's Perro Sanxe wot won it
Mimoha
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -5.22

« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2020, 04:21:44 PM »

It should be noted that the statement put out by Senator Collins (Concerned-ME) says she doesn't think there should be a vote before election day, not that she would actually vote nay if McConnell held it anyways.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2020, 04:30:05 PM »

It should be noted that the statement put out by Senator Collins (Concerned-ME) says she doesn't think there should be a vote before election day, not that she would actually vote nay if McConnell held it anyways.

At the same time, she did explicitly say that "[t]he decision on a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court should be made by the President who is elected on November 3rd."
It's Perro Sanxe wot won it
Mimoha
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -5.22

« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2020, 04:37:02 PM »

At the same time, she did explicitly say that "[t]he decision on a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court should be made by the President who is elected on November 3rd."

You're right, but again, at no point does she unequivocally say "I will vote nay to any nominee". She is just concerned about the timing. I hope she'll do the right thing for once, but putting out a statement like this and then voting aye would be the most Susan Collins thing to do.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2020, 05:01:14 PM »

Can somebody decode this secret message?

That's a confirmation that Sen. Grassley posts here on this forum, with the username olawakandi.

Oh, and that he's currently engaged in a high stakes game of Twister.
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2020, 05:10:57 PM »

pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2020, 05:12:24 PM »

Have many of those have actually said SINCE Ginsburg passed away?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2020, 05:15:35 PM »
« Edited: September 19, 2020, 05:19:44 PM by Anyone on the Left who didnt vote for Hillary can go to Hell »

I side with Obama.

Obama's stance:

"When there is a vacancy on the SCOTUS, the President is to nominate someone, the Senate is to consider that nomination... There's no unwritten law that says that it can only be done on off-years. That's not in the Constitution text.".

Obviously we all would too if McConnell and the Republicans hadn't set a new precedent in 2016.

If Garland had taken Scalia's seat, none of us here would be making demands that Trump not fill the seat. We'd be stewing about how unlucky it was, but we at least try to govern with a sense of fairness.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2020, 05:17:19 PM »

For politically uneducated mutes such as myself from outside the USA trying to explain what is going on to my associates, the Australian media is literally useless for understanding the big picture.

We will get Elton John songs and some RBG black and white clips with her achievements. But the big news is the effect that another nomination has on the US.

Let's say Trump nominates a right-wing judge for life before the election.

1. If Trump wins the election - what effect does this really have?

2. If Biden wins the election - and the SC is predominantly on the right, what effect does this really have?

I guess I am asking does it really matter in the lives of your average American.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2020, 05:19:09 PM »

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2020, 05:21:10 PM »

For politically uneducated mutes such as myself from outside the USA trying to explain what is going on to my associates, the Australian media is literally useless for understanding the big picture.

We will get Elton John songs and some RBG black and white clips with her achievements. But the big news is the effect that another nomination has on the US.

Let's say Trump nominates a right-wing judge for life before the election.

1. If Trump wins the election - what effect does this really have?

2. If Biden wins the election - and the SC is predominantly on the right, what effect does this really have?

I guess I am asking does it really matter in the lives of your average American.

It's possible (but not certain) that Trump's nominee will be the 5th judge to vote to overturn Roe v. Wade, which would have a huge impact on tens of millions of Americans.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2020, 05:23:50 PM »
« Edited: September 19, 2020, 06:19:04 PM by Southern Motherf***in' Catholic Republicans »

He’s still president. He still has the senate.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2020, 05:28:31 PM »
« Edited: September 19, 2020, 05:43:15 PM by lfromnj »

I side with Obama.

Obama's stance:

"When there is a vacancy on the SCOTUS, the President is to nominate someone, the Senate is to consider that nomination... There's no unwritten law that says that it can only be done on off-years. That's not in the Constitution text.".

Obviously we all would too if McConnell and the Republicans hadn't set a new precedent in 2016.

If Garland had taken Scalia's seat, none of us here would be making demands that Trump not fill the seat. We'd be stewing about how unlucky it was, but we at least try to govern with a sense of fairness.
Wait do you think Garland 100% had to get the seat or just his hearing and then if the senate denied him the seat. Would it be fine in the 2nd scenario ?
I agree Garland deserved a hearing but he did not deserve a seat just because Obama was president.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2020, 05:31:53 PM »

Her seat doesn't belong to her anymore. It belongs to the American people who voted for a Republican Senate in 2018 to confirm whatever nominee Trump puts forward.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 32  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies