The fight to replace Ruth Bader Ginsburg megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:43:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The fight to replace Ruth Bader Ginsburg megathread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 32
Author Topic: The fight to replace Ruth Bader Ginsburg megathread  (Read 38765 times)
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 19, 2020, 01:04:06 AM »
« edited: September 19, 2020, 01:29:05 AM by pppolitics »

...might as well have a megathread about this
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 01:49:12 AM »
« Edited: September 19, 2020, 02:03:19 AM by pppolitics »

Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 01:54:13 AM »

Trump's nominee gets passed with 50 votes + Pence breaking the tie.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 02:22:46 AM »

Atlas megathreads on controversial subjects are always cancer.  There's always going to be some Republican f--kwit here to spam the entire thread with derailing arguments and posts that quote 200 other posts to ensure the thread is completely unreadable.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2020, 02:24:51 AM »

It would be good if Romney, Collins, Murkowski & Co. would come out against rushing one through this term ...
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2020, 02:42:02 AM »
« Edited: September 19, 2020, 02:50:51 AM by SirWoodbury »

Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-09-19/amy-coney-barrett-emerges-as-frontrunner-for-trump-court-pick

Amy Coney Barrett swiftly emerged as an early front-runner to replace Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg on the Supreme Court among allies of President Donald Trump, who are preparing to press forward with a hotly contested nomination battle on the eve of an election.
“If the president is of a mind to replace Justice Ginsburg with a woman, then somebody who would be at or near the top of the list would be Judge Amy Coney Barrett,” said John Malcolm, a legal expert at the conservative Heritage Foundation whose list of possible Supreme Court justices was largely adopted by then-candidate Trump in 2016.
“She’s certainly a favorite among social conservatives and also had expressed a great deal of skepticism about the administrative state,” he added.
The president once confided that he planned to nominate her to replace Ginsburg, one person familiar with the matter said, confirming a report by Axios. “I’m saving her for Ginsburg,” Trump told confidants, Axios reported in March 2019.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2020, 03:20:19 AM »

There's always going to be some Republican f--kwit here to spam the entire thread with derailing arguments and posts.

Your forgetting one simple fact though....I'm not a Republican.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2020, 03:35:28 AM »

Does the vice president have a tie breaker vote in a 50-50 split on Supreme Court nominees? I assume yes. It would be extremely bitter if Collins, Romney and Murkowski vote against, but Pence ultimately becomes the 51st vote for confirmation. I could actually see above three opposing a Trump nominee, but I don't see who number four is. As already pointed out, maybe the floor vote can be delayed to after the election and Mark Kelly replaces Martha McSally. But McConnell for sure knows that and rushes through ahead of the election.

Democrats are probably screwed on the court no matter what. I was actually against court packing, but it shouldn't be ruled out any more if Trump installs one more justice, especially if he loses the election. However, I don't see court packing going through. Maybe through the House, but the senate won't approve such a bill, even with 51 Democrats.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2020, 03:42:00 AM »

Does the vice president have a tie breaker vote in a 50-50 split on Supreme Court nominees? I assume yes. It would be extremely bitter if Collins, Romney and Murkowski vote against, but Pence ultimately becomes the 51st vote for confirmation. I could actually see above three opposing a Trump nominee, but I don't see who number four is. As already pointed out, maybe the floor vote can be delayed to after the election and Mark Kelly replaces Martha McSally. But McConnell for sure knows that and rushes through ahead of the election.

Democrats are probably screwed on the court no matter what. I was actually against court packing, but it shouldn't be ruled out any more if Trump installs one more justice, especially if he loses the election. However, I don't see court packing going through. Maybe through the House, but the senate won't approve such a bill, even with 51 Democrats.
Yes. That's how Kavanaugh was confirmed.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2020, 04:21:59 AM »

I guess you didn't even bother looking up anything because you are a typical Trumpster (impervious to facts).

The vote was 50-48.

Pence didn't vote.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2020, 04:30:06 AM »

I guess you didn't even bother looking up anything because you are a typical Trumpster (impervious to facts).

The vote was 50-48.

Pence didn't vote.
WHO CARES. The point is that Pence still has the power to appoint a nominee in-case of a 50-50 tie.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2020, 04:39:00 AM »

Bizarre news, Obama seems to think he's still in charge, LOL:
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/517197-obama-calls-on-senate-not-to-fill-ginsburgs-vacancy-until-after
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2020, 04:52:51 AM »

President Obama is in title to express his opinions. Your God Emperor will throw out Twitter tantrums and conspiracy BS after he has lost and President Joe Biden runs the federal government.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2020, 04:58:49 AM »

"Calling on" or "urging" implies that you don't have actual power over that person. For instance, I can "urge" you to stop being such a shameless embarrassment to the Right Wing and to leave this site. But ultimately, I recognize that the choice is up to you (and that you will probably choose to continue being a boring cultist).
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2020, 06:00:00 AM »

Is it wrong that I think ACB is quite good looking?
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2020, 07:28:39 AM »

pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2020, 07:43:35 AM »

Murkowski is the only one who have said so since RBG passed away.

We have yet to get confirmations from the others.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2020, 08:29:31 AM »

President Obama is in title to express his opinions. Your God Emperor will throw out Twitter tantrums and conspiracy BS after he has lost and President Joe Biden runs the federal government.

The Mango Moron already throws Twitter tantrums and acts like Obama and Biden lead the federal government. (Which I suppose has a certain element of truth to it - it's not like Donald Trump and his bad of criminals have provided any leadership.)
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2020, 08:49:22 AM »

BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2020, 08:53:37 AM »

Stop pls
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2020, 09:14:53 AM »

And so it begins:

BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2020, 09:17:33 AM »

And so it begins:

Karma harry...
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2020, 09:20:36 AM »

60 votes should be required for literally everything. A simple majority is a path to tyranny and decline in this country. A damn shame that we no longer need to have any sort of compromise on policy: be careful what you wish for.
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2020, 09:33:37 AM »

Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2020, 09:37:45 AM »

Stop pls

RBG hasn't even been dead for a day, so let's see what the others say.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 32  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies