The Atlas Asylum of absurd/ignorant posts IX
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 07:14:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Atlas Asylum of absurd/ignorant posts IX
« previous next »
Thread note
Do not repost count you think may be moderated content here.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 129
Author Topic: The Atlas Asylum of absurd/ignorant posts IX  (Read 173478 times)
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: November 21, 2020, 01:25:51 AM »

Wanting anyone to convert to your religion is sociopathic.

Directly in the thread and all that.

Conversion efforts are abusive to congregants. By sending their followers out to "spread the good word," religions do not expect to win any new adherents. They assume (correctly) that the outside world will be hostile to their attempts, and that normal people will balk at them and be rude to their members. Then, when the congregants return to the security of the cult, they feel welcomed and at home again. The familiarity of the group calms their anxiety, and they are gradually taught to hate and fear those outside of the cult through conditional exposure. The goal is not to convince anyone to join the faith; that's just icing on the cake. On the contrary, their intention is to solidify their flock's dependence upon the cult by making them feel isolated, persecuted, and victimized. It's an insidiously genius method.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #526 on: November 21, 2020, 01:38:19 AM »

Conversion efforts are abusive to congregants. By sending their followers out to "spread the good word," religions do not expect to win any new adherents. They assume (correctly) that the outside world will be hostile to their attempts, and that normal people will balk at them and be rude to their members. Then, when the congregants return to the security of the cult, they feel welcomed and at home again. The familiarity of the group calms their anxiety, and they are gradually taught to hate and fear those outside of the cult through conditional exposure. The goal is not to convince anyone to join the faith; that's just icing on the cake. On the contrary, their intention is to solidify their flock's dependence upon the cult by making them feel isolated, persecuted, and victimized. It's an insidiously genius method.
Twirling_Fedora.jif
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #527 on: November 21, 2020, 01:48:25 AM »

Twirling_Fedora.jif

I'd say you could do better than this, but on reflection that probably isn't true.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #528 on: November 21, 2020, 02:01:14 AM »

Twirling_Fedora.jif

I'd say you could do better than this, but on reflection that probably isn't true.
For a low effort post, I think it does the right amount for the job.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #529 on: November 21, 2020, 02:05:22 AM »

Christians have had centuries to articulate decent counterarguments to secular philosophies, and in that period of time their greatest accomplishment has been associating atheism with a type of unflattering headgear that stopped being relevant in 2004.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #530 on: November 21, 2020, 02:25:04 AM »

Christians have had centuries to articulate decent counterarguments to secular philosophies, and in that period of time their greatest accomplishment has been associating atheism with a type of unflattering headgear that stopped being relevant in 2004.
Imagine taking a sh**tpost this seriously, lmao.

Also, I’m clearly, and immensely easily verifiable, not a Christian lol.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #531 on: November 21, 2020, 03:01:51 AM »

That observation was not directed at you.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #532 on: November 21, 2020, 04:00:48 AM »

LMAO! Not getting invested in this fight, but that was seriously funny.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #533 on: November 21, 2020, 04:04:18 AM »

That observation was not directed at you.
Well I am the only one who mentioned said hat in your comment(s) in this thread.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #534 on: November 21, 2020, 04:29:21 AM »

I think this deserves a serious answer, but I also know that you consider religion per se abusive to congregants, so maybe there's a premise problem.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #535 on: November 21, 2020, 04:44:21 AM »

I think this deserves a serious answer, but I also know that you consider religion per se abusive to congregants, so maybe there's a premise problem.

Yeah, I'm probably too harsh when it comes to these things. I mean, when has the Catholic Church ever abused anyone? 🤔
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #536 on: November 21, 2020, 05:24:36 AM »

Yeah, I'm probably too harsh when it comes to these things. I mean, when has the Catholic Church ever abused anyone?

Too many times.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #537 on: November 21, 2020, 05:45:44 AM »

Referring to Doug Jones:

He is a noxious communist whose overt hatred/resentment towards his home state was so intense that we ran him out of office by a 20% margin in favor of a corrupt carpetbagging moron
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #538 on: November 21, 2020, 01:12:32 PM »

I'm not sure what sort of serious answer you'd expect to a post like that. It is plainly true that many religions do grow through evangelization, so the premise that religions do not expect or intend to win converts is incorrect. The rest is the sort of anti-religious ranting that is standard for Dule, and I am grateful that he saved us the trouble by posting it directly into the thread.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #539 on: November 21, 2020, 05:38:44 PM »

I'm not sure what sort of serious answer you'd expect to a post like that. It is plainly true that many religions do grow through evangelization, so the premise that religions do not expect or intend to win converts is incorrect. The rest is the sort of anti-religious ranting that is standard for Dule, and I am grateful that he saved us the trouble by posting it directly into the thread.

I appear to have struck a nerve. Perhaps you'll think about this post the next time you ring somebody's doorbell to give them some "literature."
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #540 on: November 21, 2020, 06:22:56 PM »

I appear to have struck a nerve. Perhaps you'll think about this post the next time you ring somebody's doorbell to give them some "literature."
I am not a member of a church that does much, if any, evangelical work — this is part of the reason my denomination and ones like it are fading, while other traditions that place a greater emphasis on evangelism are growing. You don't have to like it, but it's hard to deny its effectiveness.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #541 on: November 21, 2020, 06:41:20 PM »

I am not a member of a church that does much, if any, evangelical work — this is part of the reason my denomination and ones like it are fading, while other traditions that place a greater emphasis on evangelism are growing. You don't have to like it, but it's hard to deny its effectiveness.

Whoa wait you're saying that evangelisation isn't just a method of reinforcing in-group solidarity!?
Xeuma
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: 0.00

P
« Reply #542 on: November 21, 2020, 07:08:59 PM »

Given this reply and that about distributing “literature,” while also knocking the Catholic Church, it seems you have confused my faith for Mormonism.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #543 on: November 22, 2020, 04:56:04 AM »

I get that some people feel it is their biblical duty to go around trying to convert others, but unless someone reaches out to you it's a good example of not minding your own business. Leave people alone.

When I was younger Mormons and Jehovah's witnesses would come to my parents door almost every month, we told them not to come back and they always came back.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #544 on: November 23, 2020, 03:14:30 PM »

Safe R now that we have the first GCB poll out: R+12. The Republican will win by double digits.

He's talking about NC-SEN 2022
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #545 on: November 23, 2020, 04:21:27 PM »

Has this ever happened to you? I can safely say I've never seen that sort of thing except from being forced to buy Buddhist pamphlets on the street.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #546 on: November 23, 2020, 06:13:13 PM »

Safe R now that we have the first GCB poll out: R+12. The Republican will win by double digits.

He's talking about NC-SEN 2022
I mean, while I won't stick a fork in General Eric until around September (EDIT: September of 2022), he's not completely wrong. It's a red state in a Biden midterm, and the second-most likely Republican nominee, Dan Bishop, has a uniting message (that is to say, he hates trans people). He'll walk.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #547 on: November 23, 2020, 08:55:53 PM »

On the contrary. The charge of atheism has become so toxic that Bernie Sanders and AOC have felt the need to explicitly deny such charges.

One in four “non religious” Americans - a category I have voraciously attacked before - say they would be less likely to vote for someone who doesn’t believe in God.* “Decent counter arguments” are widespread, not the least of which is natural law, which an atheist by definition can’t believe in.

* https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/05/29/americans-are-somewhat-more-open-to-the-idea-of-an-atheist-president/
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #548 on: November 23, 2020, 09:11:17 PM »

On the contrary. The charge of atheism has become so toxic that Bernie Sanders and AOC have felt the need to explicitly deny such charges.

One in four “non religious” Americans - a category I have voraciously attacked before - say they would be less likely to vote for someone who doesn’t believe in God.* “Decent counter arguments” are widespread, not the least of which is natural law, which an atheist by definition can’t believe in.

* https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/05/29/americans-are-somewhat-more-open-to-the-idea-of-an-atheist-president/

These aren't counterarguments... one is an appeal to public opinion and the other is just not relevant. Obviously there is no such thing as natural law.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #549 on: November 24, 2020, 11:21:20 AM »

Climate change isn't a problem, so it cant be solved either by market forces or communist left-wing government action
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 129  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies