Minneapolis cops slowly murder handcuffed man in front of crowd
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 08:20:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Minneapolis cops slowly murder handcuffed man in front of crowd
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 43
Author Topic: Minneapolis cops slowly murder handcuffed man in front of crowd  (Read 46975 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #775 on: May 30, 2020, 09:49:52 PM »

law enforcement: *teaches officers to roleplay as if going on patrol is duck shooting, perpetuates a system of discrimnation, abuse of power and zero accountability for things that would land normal people in jail*

minorities: ACAB!

law enforcement: *shocked pikachu face*
Which minority says ACAB lol?
ACAB is not something minorities generally say. It is more of a generic really young leftist expression of disgust at the police, used by more firmly progressive or even far-left elements that tend to be disproportionately Very Online. Race isn't relevant much insofar as to defining who actually says it.
Buzz

« Reply #776 on: May 30, 2020, 10:24:45 PM »

Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #777 on: May 30, 2020, 10:38:03 PM »

Things going south quickly here

That's just Chicago being Chicago. That'd be like posting about a purse snatcher in Central Park in 1981.

Ah yes, I've never taken a trip to Mag Mile without someone taking a shot at me.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #778 on: May 30, 2020, 10:46:57 PM »

That's just Chicago being Chicago. That'd be like posting about a purse snatcher in Central Park in 1981.
Nobody ever gets shot in River North — it's a neighborhood of high-end condos and fancy shops. Last year there were two homicides total, one of the lowest rates of any of the neighborhoods in the city.

I'm just trying to add a little levity to the thread.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #779 on: May 30, 2020, 10:47:37 PM »

This tweet includes inappropriate language, so I'm just linking directly. It is by a member of the press, relating a story of being threatened by a member of MPD. https://twitter.com/JaredGoyette/status/1266935343355494400?s=20
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #780 on: May 30, 2020, 10:50:04 PM »

Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #781 on: May 30, 2020, 10:51:22 PM »

law enforcement: *teaches officers to roleplay as if going on patrol is duck shooting, perpetuates a system of discrimnation, abuse of power and zero accountability for things that would land normal people in jail*

minorities: ACAB!

law enforcement: *shocked pikachu face*
Which minority says ACAB lol?
ACAB is not something minorities generally say. It is more of a generic really young leftist expression of disgust at the police, used by more firmly progressive or even far-left elements that tend to be disproportionately Very Online. Race isn't relevant much insofar as to defining who actually says it.

I actually agree with that - it was mostly a frustrated memey way of saying that they don't like the way cops behave.

In fact, there's almost an inverse correlation between how likely someone is to be harassed/murdered by the police and their inclination towards saying ACAB. Ironic.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #782 on: May 30, 2020, 10:57:29 PM »

Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #783 on: May 30, 2020, 11:32:56 PM »

NYPD cars plowing into protesters:

An improvised lone wolf terrorist attack vs this. Spot the difference.

I, for one, can't.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #784 on: May 31, 2020, 12:41:52 AM »

TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #785 on: May 31, 2020, 01:07:55 AM »

can the union be pressured into removing Bob Kroll as head?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #786 on: May 31, 2020, 08:15:30 AM »

His wife announced he's divorcing him.

Funny that only now she found out he's a murderous psychopath.

Or she wasn't willing to do so previously when he still had a gun and was capable of hurting her. That he was an abusive husband seems not unlikely to me.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #787 on: May 31, 2020, 08:22:36 AM »

There is no primary in Minneapolis municipal elections because we use ranked voting. All the candidates run against each other on one ballot and you rank your top 3.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #788 on: May 31, 2020, 08:27:40 AM »

This tweet includes inappropriate language, so I'm just linking directly. It is by a member of the press, relating a story of being threatened by a member of MPD. https://twitter.com/JaredGoyette/status/1266935343355494400?s=20
This happened in my neighborhood so viewing it is surreal.

They weren't even violating curfew because they were on their own property. Detestable.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #789 on: May 31, 2020, 08:41:03 AM »

His wife announced he's divorcing him.

Funny that only now she found out he's a murderous psychopath.

Or she wasn't willing to do so previously when he still had a gun and was capable of hurting her. That he was an abusive husband seems not unlikely to me.

Or she came to a sudden realization later in her marriage. She learned new information about her husband and updated her beliefs accordingly. It's not bad to change your mind about someone.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #790 on: May 31, 2020, 09:30:40 AM »

You know a part of this is a fault of democrats themselves not attacking police unions and reforming police at a state/local level which is possible, especially in fycking Minneapolis.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #791 on: May 31, 2020, 10:39:24 AM »
« Edited: May 31, 2020, 10:42:47 AM by #Klobmentum »

You know a part of this is a fault of democrats themselves not attacking police unions and reforming police at a state/local level which is possible, especially in fycking Minneapolis.

It's easier said then done. Going after police + union = horrible optics.

Edit: I'm not giving democrats an excuse. But police, until recently, have been incredibly popular. And people love unions. Going after both would be incredibly unpopular.
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #792 on: May 31, 2020, 10:39:54 AM »

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #793 on: May 31, 2020, 11:40:39 AM »

R.T. Rybak actually pushed for this a bit in the past. It's well know the police union and Bob Kroll hated him. And he recently said this: https://wccoradio.radio.com/articles/feature-article/former-minneapolis-mayor-police-federation-president-cancer
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #794 on: May 31, 2020, 12:50:41 PM »

"Going after" police unions is a distraction. First of all not all police unions are the same. There is a huge difference between police unions with white majority membership and certain type of leadership and black police officer unions. They often support different policies, different political parties, and have different strategies for dealing with police brutality and misconduct.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #795 on: May 31, 2020, 01:08:42 PM »

Miami and Doing PDs showing other PDs the way to be.

Madison had a peaceful protest all day yesterday. After the protest wound down, looting started and went most of the night, spreading all over the city.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #796 on: May 31, 2020, 01:12:38 PM »

Won’t some of these hoodlums end up in the same jail as the police officer? I know he’s on suicide watch in isolation, but still....

Actually, now that I’m thinking ‘out loud”, I’m surprised riots haven’t broken out in jails. That’s the next thing.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #797 on: May 31, 2020, 01:37:28 PM »

No violence is justified, obviously.

I do wonder if there would be less violent protesting in major cities if the country weren’t locked down for 2 months (and were fed fear mongering lies)?

I honestly think that the connection is tenuous. People still would have been protesting over Floyd's death even if we weren't in the midst of a pandemic. The fact that so many protesters are still wearing masks suggests that their frustration isn't with the lock-downs.

I would have to disagree with you here. Polls have shown that the vast majority of Americans have seen masks as a necessary measure to contain the pandemic's spread, and even with the uproar over mandatory mask mandates (and I've made clear my concerns about those), mask-wearing is still a much less intrusive and more tolerable practice than many of the lockdown restrictions. I firmly believe that many people, who have lost their jobs because of their pandemic, who have been socially isolated, and experiencing great mental anguish, were pushed over the breaking point by this horrific incident. I would also say that the George Floyd incident represented a step too far for most in this country, revealing the extent to which police brutality, racism, prejudice, and discrimination continue to govern our society.

I'm sure it contributed, I just don't think it's really on the minds of too many as they're out protesting. The focus is still on criminal justice in this country.

I agree with you, that criminal justice and police brutality are the primary issues being focused upon by many of the protesters. I just don't think that we should discount all of the factors that may be contributing to the outbursts of violence and anger which we've seen.

Same thing as asking if air pollution or heat waves lead to aggression and increased public violence--aka perfectly acceptable questions.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #798 on: May 31, 2020, 01:50:02 PM »

He's too political, Pat Lynch and Ed Mullins, they have to go now.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #799 on: May 31, 2020, 01:51:28 PM »

He's too political, Pat Lynch and Ed Mullins, they have to go now.
I know he has to go. But I am wondering how he can be forced out.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 43  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies