Minneapolis cops slowly murder handcuffed man in front of crowd
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 10:17:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Minneapolis cops slowly murder handcuffed man in front of crowd
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 43
Author Topic: Minneapolis cops slowly murder handcuffed man in front of crowd  (Read 47011 times)
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #750 on: May 30, 2020, 05:40:33 PM »

What exactly are you protesting at this point?

The guy is charged. Let the justice system play out.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #751 on: May 30, 2020, 05:42:30 PM »

Some people are know are protesting against police use of force in general.

Other people are just caught up in the riot, I assume.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #752 on: May 30, 2020, 05:42:58 PM »

Instead of admitting that he's a part of the problem, he does this. Sigh.

How about he confront the white supremacists and members of organized crime and do a big spring cleaning in Minneapolis' PD?
Best case scenario is this is for public consumption and he still does some stuff in the shadows that ultimately are meant to deal with the root causes of the greviances.
Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #753 on: May 30, 2020, 05:47:35 PM »

I'll believe it when I see it. I'd like to think that certain people in the justice system won't be so brazen as to try to secure just a slap on the wrist for him, but I don't want to have too high hopes.

By the way, the fact that he's being prosecuted only for a third-degree murder might actually work against him - some say the he should be charged for first-degree murder, because he knew Floyd, but premediation is a very difficult thing to prove and he could still get out of it somehow.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #754 on: May 30, 2020, 06:01:07 PM »

What a terrible response from Mayor Frey.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #755 on: May 30, 2020, 06:03:42 PM »

Who's going to primary him?
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #756 on: May 30, 2020, 06:04:17 PM »

Amy Klobuchar.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #757 on: May 30, 2020, 06:05:59 PM »

Why would she leave the Senate?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #758 on: May 30, 2020, 06:12:10 PM »

Why would anybody want to be a US Senator at this point?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #759 on: May 30, 2020, 06:13:01 PM »

It's really a shame that Minnesota doesn't have the Death Penalty, because Chauvin deserves it.

I am curious if someone will get the idea to kill him before the trial/if he is acquitted in retaliation.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #760 on: May 30, 2020, 06:16:11 PM »

The Mayor of Minneapolis is incompetent, as is the Governor of Minnesota. They both need to be voted out of office after this.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #761 on: May 30, 2020, 06:18:13 PM »

The 2020 primaries demonstrated that almost any other role, even a governorship, is unlikely to be viable launchpad for the presidency. Given that the Bullock and Inslee campaigns went down with barely a whisper, you can bet that the Buttigiegs of the world will all look to the Senate.

I doubt Klobuchar has entirely abandoned her presidential ambitions.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #762 on: May 30, 2020, 06:39:32 PM »

No violence is justified, obviously.

I do wonder if there would be less violent protesting in major cities if the country weren’t locked down for 2 months (and were fed fear mongering lies)?

I honestly think that the connection is tenuous. People still would have been protesting over Floyd's death even if we weren't in the midst of a pandemic. The fact that so many protesters are still wearing masks suggests that their frustration isn't with the lock-downs.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #763 on: May 30, 2020, 06:46:01 PM »

I do wonder if there would be less violent protesting in major cities if the country weren’t locked down for 2 months (and were fed fear mongering lies)?

I honestly think that the connection is tenuous. People still would have been protesting over Floyd's death even if we weren't in the midst of a pandemic. The fact that so many protesters are still wearing masks suggests that their frustration isn't with the lock-downs.

I would have to disagree with you here. Polls have shown that the vast majority of Americans have seen masks as a necessary measure to contain the pandemic's spread, and even with the uproar over mandatory mask mandates (and I've made clear my concerns about those), mask-wearing is still a much less intrusive and more tolerable practice than many of the lockdown restrictions. I firmly believe that many people, who have lost their jobs because of this pandemic, who have been socially isolated, and experiencing great mental anguish, were pushed over the breaking point by this horrific incident. I would also say that the George Floyd incident represented a step too far for most in this country, revealing the extent to which police brutality, racism, prejudice, and discrimination continue to govern our society.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #764 on: May 30, 2020, 06:46:35 PM »
« Edited: May 31, 2020, 08:51:04 AM by lfromnj »

Lol @anybody that thinks a 25% unemployment rate especially among the youth and being trapped in a house for 2 months isnt affecting the severity of the protests.
This is basic human sociology and only people on atlas could debate this.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #765 on: May 30, 2020, 06:47:49 PM »

I would have to disagree with you here. Polls have shown that the vast majority of Americans have seen masks as a necessary measure to contain the pandemic's spread, and even with the uproar over mandatory mask mandates (and I've made clear my concerns about those), mask-wearing is still a much less intrusive and more tolerable practice than many of the lockdown restrictions. I firmly believe that many people, who have lost their jobs because of their pandemic, who have been socially isolated, and experiencing great mental anguish, were pushed over the breaking point by this horrific incident. I would also say that the George Floyd incident represented a step too far for most in this country, revealing the extent to which police brutality, racism, prejudice, and discrimination continue to govern our society.

I'm sure it contributed, I just don't think it's really on the minds of too many as they're out protesting. The focus is still on criminal justice in this country.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #766 on: May 30, 2020, 06:53:51 PM »

Are you high? You get to sell off your stocks early, you get the candy desk, you sit in your office watching CSPAN covering one fellow Senator speaking before an empty chamber, hell, you can even filibuster your own bill. Being a Senator sounds suh-weeet.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #767 on: May 30, 2020, 07:02:57 PM »

I would have to disagree with you here. Polls have shown that the vast majority of Americans have seen masks as a necessary measure to contain the pandemic's spread, and even with the uproar over mandatory mask mandates (and I've made clear my concerns about those), mask-wearing is still a much less intrusive and more tolerable practice than many of the lockdown restrictions. I firmly believe that many people, who have lost their jobs because of their pandemic, who have been socially isolated, and experiencing great mental anguish, were pushed over the breaking point by this horrific incident. I would also say that the George Floyd incident represented a step too far for most in this country, revealing the extent to which police brutality, racism, prejudice, and discrimination continue to govern our society.

I'm sure it contributed, I just don't think it's really on the minds of too many as they're out protesting. The focus is still on criminal justice in this country.

I agree with you, that criminal justice and police brutality are the primary issues being focused upon by many of the protesters. I just don't think that we should discount all of the factors that may be contributing to the outbursts of violence and anger which we've seen.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #768 on: May 30, 2020, 07:13:14 PM »

Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #769 on: May 30, 2020, 09:07:49 PM »

law enforcement: *teaches officers to roleplay as if going on patrol is duck shooting, perpetuates a system of discrimnation, abuse of power and zero accountability for things that would land normal people in jail*

minorities: ACAB!

law enforcement: *shocked pikachu face*
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #770 on: May 30, 2020, 09:18:08 PM »

law enforcement: *teaches officers to roleplay as if going on patrol is duck shooting, perpetuates a system of discrimnation, abuse of power and zero accountability for things that would land normal people in jail*

minorities: ACAB!

law enforcement: *shocked pikachu face*
Which minority says ACAB lol?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #771 on: May 30, 2020, 09:19:50 PM »

I regret reading that guy's wiki page. What a creep.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #772 on: May 30, 2020, 09:29:00 PM »

I won't be keeping up with stuff tonight; had a lot of work today.

However, multiple media groups have reported being targeted by the police, and I think that's important to share.

Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #773 on: May 30, 2020, 09:39:20 PM »

Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix