This Once Great Movement Of Ours
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 06:51:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  This Once Great Movement Of Ours
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104 105 [106] 107 108 109 110 111 ... 152
Author Topic: This Once Great Movement Of Ours  (Read 157526 times)
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2625 on: October 19, 2022, 07:01:31 AM »

Say, wasn’t Sheffield Central Perkins’s constituency in A Very British Coup?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2626 on: October 19, 2022, 08:09:39 AM »

Though that was the "old" Sheffield Central, more a "traditional" inner-city seat than the current one.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2627 on: October 19, 2022, 08:20:41 AM »

Though that was the "old" Sheffield Central, more a "traditional" inner-city seat than the current one.

Yes, that constituency was effectively abolished at the last boundary review even if they kept the name. Always a very safe Labour seat.
Wiswylfen
eadmund

Political Matrix
E: -2.32, S: 4.17

« Reply #2628 on: October 20, 2022, 03:51:36 AM »

In the series, yes. It's not stated in the book, but...

Harry Perkins is elected to Parliament in a by-election between 1970 and 1974 (not stated but can be inferred). It's not Hallam. Before then he works at Firth Brown and the constituency he's selected for is on the other side of the city, so not Brightside. It's a safe seat, so not Heeley. Attercliffe is right next door so I don't think it fits "other side", nor does Park (later Central) really, so that leaves Hillsborough, but all of the last three are possibilities.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2629 on: October 20, 2022, 09:14:39 AM »

Thread subtitle idea: "we're here, we're kier, we don't want anymore Blairs"
Wiswylfen
eadmund

Political Matrix
E: -2.32, S: 4.17

« Reply #2630 on: October 20, 2022, 03:22:26 PM »

In the series, yes. It's not stated in the book, but...

Harry Perkins is elected to Parliament in a by-election between 1970 and 1974 (not stated but can be inferred). It's not Hallam. Before then he works at Firth Brown and the constituency he's selected for is on the other side of the city, so not Brightside. It's a safe seat, so not Heeley. Attercliffe is right next door so I don't think it fits "other side", nor does Park (later Central) really, so that leaves Hillsborough, but all of the last three are possibilities.

Never mind: I checked The Friends of Harry Perkins, which with its Labour leader who suddenly changes names, anti-Brexit Sir Peregrine, and ending you can see coming from a mile off I had tried to forget. Perkins is MP for the fictional Sheffield Parkside, and is succeeded by Fred Thompson.

20XX general election, Sheffield Parkside

LAB: 28,956 (69.6%) (Thompson, Frederick Aneurin)
CON: 4,780 (11.5%) (Farrow, Melissa Catherine)
ENP: 3,941 (9.5%) (Lawton, Frank Oswald)
LDM: 2,120 (5.1%) (Bonham Carter, Michael Francis)
AFA: 980 (2.4%) (Dixon, Richard Francis)
GRN: 743 (1.8%) (Blagdon, Jonathan Algernon Crispin)
MRL: 98 (0.2%) (Norton, Tracey Jane)

Majority of 24,176 (58.1 points)
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2631 on: October 23, 2022, 05:56:48 AM »

Is it *really* true that someone was excluded from the shortlist for a key Labour target seat because they "liked" a tweet from Nicola Sturgeon saying she didn't have Covid?

Because that's what is apparently being claimed.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #2632 on: October 23, 2022, 07:53:24 AM »

Occam's razor probably applies here.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2633 on: October 28, 2022, 03:16:48 PM »

Forgot to post at the time but was slipped out at a Fringe event that Sadiq intends to run for a third term as London Mayor in 2024.

It will be under first past the post and while national headwinds will help I’m surprised it hasn’t been more contested- I know he is broadly popular internally too. I guess a lack of competition comes from the role having no power and London MPs sensing Government- ofc Sadiq wouldn’t have ran in 2015 if he was Justice Minister.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2634 on: October 29, 2022, 04:17:24 AM »

Though that also arguably applies in the sense that certain people at party HQ have proved capable of acting in a both highly petty and overtly factional manner.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2635 on: October 29, 2022, 12:49:45 PM »

Forgot to post at the time but was slipped out at a Fringe event that Sadiq intends to run for a third term as London Mayor in 2024.

It will be under first past the post and while national headwinds will help I’m surprised it hasn’t been more contested- I know he is broadly popular internally too. I guess a lack of competition comes from the role having no power and London MPs sensing Government- ofc Sadiq wouldn’t have ran in 2015 if he was Justice Minister.

At the same time Khan no doubt at this point would desire back into Westminster if Labour had a position for him in their future government. Sure his old seat is occupied and will be reconfigured if the election is after the boundary review, but there are plenty more London seats that Labour will be easily winning in the event they even get close to government. Starmer I guess just wants Khan where he is.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2636 on: October 29, 2022, 01:12:50 PM »

At the same time Khan no doubt at this point would desire back into Westminster if Labour had a position for him in their future government. Sure his old seat is occupied and will be reconfigured if the election is after the boundary review, but there are plenty more London seats that Labour will be easily winning in the event they even get close to government. Starmer I guess just wants Khan where he is.

I think his best bet is what people expected Burnham to do; have someone retire months before & get selected. I half expected he would retire & get offered a seat in the Lords- which would allow for some sort of job.

The problem with London is that an insanely high number of London Labour MPs are on the frontbench so won't be retiring, it's also generally quite a youngish set of MPs & there's only been one retirement in an inner london safe seat- Camberwell and Peckham.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2637 on: October 30, 2022, 06:37:10 AM »

As things stand, the next London Mayor (though not Assembly) election will be held using FPTP.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2638 on: October 31, 2022, 02:43:53 AM »

As things stand, the next London Mayor (though not Assembly) election will be held using FPTP.

Yeah it's that reason alone I'm a bit worried about how it would go; Sadiq benefits from the fact that he would do really well with transfers from the Greens and Lib Dems.

The fun hypothetical is whether Ed Vaizey or Justine Greening could have won in 2021 with a well financed and non-joke campaign; probably not under AV but still could have been a lot closer.   
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2639 on: October 31, 2022, 07:33:59 AM »

OTOH one reason why Shaun Bailey did "surprisingly" well last year was that he was widely perceived to have next to no chance. And the pandemic probably didn't help turnout amongst Labour voters.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #2640 on: November 01, 2022, 04:13:09 PM »

Oh dear

Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #2641 on: November 01, 2022, 04:15:22 PM »

I realy don't understand the obsession some parts of the british left have with making abortion a political issue in the uk. Criticise what he said on the grounds of trans rights or whatever, but  this is just weird.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2642 on: November 05, 2022, 10:10:59 AM »

Anybody know why Ian Byrne is facing issues in his selection?

I know there was issues over his original selection (iirc some local cllrs and others were kept off the shortlist) but he’s not really annoyed anyone in THIGMOO.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2643 on: November 05, 2022, 11:19:32 AM »

I know there was issues over his original selection (iirc some local cllrs and others were kept off the shortlist) but he’s not really annoyed anyone in THIGMOO.

Labour North West want to place one of their staff in, it seems.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2644 on: November 05, 2022, 12:02:55 PM »

It does seem as if he never bothered to bed himself down particularly, which is always an error when a candidate was selected in a contentious manner. But I wonder if the general state of upheaval and drama in Liverpool Labour now that the Anderson-McCluskey duumvirate is no more might be a factor. West Derby (like Walton) is also quite a small CLP and has deselected an incumbent in recent memory.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2645 on: November 06, 2022, 10:12:44 AM »

I still think it likely that he wins re-selection in the end.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2646 on: November 06, 2022, 10:30:55 AM »

It really doesn't help that my brain keeps confusing his name with Liam Byrne.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2647 on: November 07, 2022, 06:55:17 AM »

I see that Wes Streeting had to help the leader out yesterday regarding the overseas workers in the NHS question, not ideal. Though it is also notable that the BBC headline that caused a lot of the fuss was later changed to something less clickbaity - party HQ on the blower?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2648 on: November 07, 2022, 07:57:34 AM »

I see that Wes Streeting had to help the leader out yesterday regarding the overseas workers in the NHS question, not ideal. Though it is also notable that the BBC headline that caused a lot of the fuss was later changed to something less clickbaity - party HQ on the blower?

Another example of Starmer not being a career politician having odd effects: he's not very adroit in interview situations and will often speak in open-ended generalities (as, well, people who aren't politicians tend to) which can be taken out of context quite easily sometimes.* Given that he's sixty years old there's really not much hope of successfully changing that, so there needs to be an effective fielding system. Against that he's much more comfortable in other situations (inc. with random members of the public) than average: it's an interesting trade-off.

*Which might seem surprising given former occupation and his standing in it, but isn't really: it's a profession that rewards careful preparation and the ability to react quickly in a system of formalized interrogation, which is very different to sitting down for a chat on a sofa in a TV studio...
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #2649 on: November 08, 2022, 12:56:22 PM »

Christian Wakeford has been selected for Bury South.

Not particularly surprising, given Starmer's focus on selections (and his embrace of Wakeford, who spent the summer as a PPS, and joined the Labour Whip office a few weeks back), and Wakeford's rather effective charm offence (and seemingly genuine Damascene conversion).

But still slightly impressed that there was less intra-party noise over selecting a former Tory MP, than in the wide-open selections in other seats.
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104 105 [106] 107 108 109 110 111 ... 152  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies