This Once Great Movement Of Ours
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 09:56:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  This Once Great Movement Of Ours
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 107 108 109 [110] 111 112 113 114 115 ... 152
Author Topic: This Once Great Movement Of Ours  (Read 158535 times)
EastAnglianLefty

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2725 on: December 22, 2022, 05:59:02 AM »

He was based in the Outwood bit, which already has an incumbent. There's probably more chance of him popping up in Hemsworth if Trickett stands down than in Morley.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2726 on: December 22, 2022, 09:43:39 AM »

Though most of the quotes in those articles are usually from Pat McFadden. I'm not convinced they all are this time (some seem somewhat rational) but they should never be taken as an accurate summary of ShadCab opinion.

Ed Miliband got praised which is rare in Labour briefing.

I don’t want Douglas to return purely because it adds another layer to the ‘people fighting because they haven’t forgiven someone over what they did in the Brown Government’.

Lest we forget, "Dougal" was in charge of Labour's memorably bad 2014 Euro-election campaign. In some ways a dry run for the bigger fiasco that was to unfold two years later.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2727 on: December 22, 2022, 12:03:26 PM »

Though most of the quotes in those articles are usually from Pat McFadden. I'm not convinced they all are this time (some seem somewhat rational) but they should never be taken as an accurate summary of ShadCab opinion.

Ed Miliband got praised which is rare in Labour briefing.

I don’t want Douglas to return purely because it adds another layer to the ‘people fighting because they haven’t forgiven someone over what they did in the Brown Government’.

Lest we forget, "Dougal" was in charge of Labour's memorably bad 2014 Euro-election campaign. In some ways a dry run for the bigger fiasco that was to unfold two years later.

Aah yes- wasn’t that the campaign that was basically ‘let’s pretend this election isn’t about Europe and let’s talk about ‘hard working families’.

All I actually remember when was Labour were suppose to win and it really show have got alarm bells ringing that we didn’t.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #2728 on: December 22, 2022, 07:43:01 PM »
« Edited: December 22, 2022, 07:48:51 PM by Coldstream »

Interesting Guardian piece on Labour frontbench dynamics- some chafing at the return of Douglas Alexander and rumours around Ed Balls and David M. Basically just a ‘well they weren’t here for the hard part why should they get a cushy job’.

Also some complaints re those who have big jobs (Dodds again) and asking why some don’t (C***sy- no doubt because of her helpful interventions on Brexit)

Interesting there was a line re Nandy not seeming to enjoy her role- I thought she was and just needs to be given a big housing offer. You can see one being made in health and education… and the state of housing is going to be one of the biggest challenges for a Labour government. It’s not just the awful private rented sector either anymore…

This is a pretty mainstream opinion across the party, there’s more than a few people who went Lib Dem/Change UK in 2019 (or at least disappeared) who are hanging around in the hopes of selection - to my knowledge none have succeeded yet, but it’s quite galling.

Personally I’ve no major issue with Ed Balls or David Miliband coming back, I actually always liked David, but Douglas Alexander epitomises the mediocre cliquey hubris that brought Scottish Labour to ruin - and he shouldn’t come back. I’d genuinely prefer Jim Murphy to him.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #2729 on: December 23, 2022, 03:09:37 AM »

A lot of people within the press and media still haven't gotten over the 2010 Labour leadership election. The narrowness of it probably made it even more painful.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #2730 on: December 23, 2022, 04:25:41 AM »

Personally, I'd be very reluctant to want DMilliband back given he did a runner and only seems to show interest now Labour look like winning the next election. At least Balls lost his seat and needed time to rehabilitate his image.

A bit disappointing they couldn't get Burnham back as well, though I guess he would only be interested in one position, and dumping Starmer would be very, very silly.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2731 on: December 23, 2022, 07:15:54 AM »

Well tbh I'm not too keen on a Balls comeback either, especially given some of his recent comments on economic policy. And like Alexander he has some baggage too - his utterly awful pro-austerity gig at the 2014 party conference is a maybe overlooked factor in the election loss the following year. And the contrast of that with his very cogent pitch for leader in 2010 was and remains jarring.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2732 on: December 23, 2022, 07:25:05 AM »

My view would be that if people from the Brown Cabinet and the Miliband Shadow Cabinet who have since left the stage wish to re-enter frontline politics, then that's absolutely fine and they should not be blocked from doing so. However, a) they should have to win selections off their own bat and not expect to have them gifted by the leadership (which, and they have to understand this, owes them nothing), and also b) they should also not expect automatic appointment to the Cabinet if elected, but should have to make their case to earn a place like everyone else.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2733 on: December 27, 2022, 03:54:49 AM »

I’m very sorry to report another briefing has been issued that Keir talks to Gordon and Ed too much, and not enough to Tony.

Why do you love your other uncle more Keir?

Severe case of the TB-GBs.

It came in quite a good Patrick Maguire piece about Ramsay Macdonald- the main part I agreed with is that Labour really aren’t prepared for how bad the public realm and politics as a whole is.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2734 on: December 27, 2022, 07:15:24 AM »

Though if you think that Starmer's admiration for Wilson is genuine and not just a "clever" answer to avoid the pitfalls of giving the "Labour's greatest" award to either Blair or Attlee, then he will be well aware that half of JHW's time as PM was without a comfortable majority - and in fairly unpromising circumstances objectively speaking as well. And he managed pretty well overall.
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #2735 on: December 27, 2022, 04:19:12 PM »

Just stirring the nest here:

How would you chaps react to a hypothetical story in the Times or the Tel saying that Chuka wants to make a comeback as a Labour MP?
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2736 on: December 28, 2022, 04:11:11 AM »

How would you chaps react to a hypothetical story in the Times or the Tel saying that Chuka wants to make a comeback as a Labour MP?

With amusement. Umunna actually defected to an enemy party, any prospects of him being a Labour MP again are negligible at best. Some of the others who fled in 2019 might have a better chance due to being less attention seeking.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2737 on: December 28, 2022, 04:26:46 AM »

With a loud laugh!

I made no objection to those MPs who left the party in 2019; they did so for a range of reasons that were valid in my view, and were imo shared by 65% of the PLP. You shouldn’t remain shackled to a political party and I hope I would say the same if someone in the SCG left now

But joining the Liberals and running in 2019 really did suggest a complete lack of loyalty to the movement or those in it who were trying to keep the show on the road. What if he had won? Would he pretend that Starmers Labour was not actually virtually identical to the party he ran under in 2010 and 2015!

I also bluntly don’t think he was actually someone who identified that closely with the Liberal Democrats other than on Brexit and issues were all social liberals agree- he was ofc at one stage considered on the left of Labours centre and even in 2014/15 was seen as being a Milibandite and not the actual Blairite he was seen as.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2738 on: December 28, 2022, 04:27:42 AM »

Punishment for joining the liberals is a life of having to edit misleading bar charts and opposing every new housing application
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #2739 on: December 28, 2022, 05:25:15 AM »

I can’t imagine Umunna’s choice to run in Cities of London and Westminster, (producing some spectacular vote-splitting that let the Conservative limp to victory with under 40% of the vote) exactly endeared him to the party either…
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2740 on: December 28, 2022, 06:01:35 AM »

I can’t imagine Umunna’s choice to run in Cities of London and Westminster, (producing some spectacular vote-splitting that let the Conservative limp to victory with under 40% of the vote) exactly endeared him to the party either…

It was also the most predictable choice of seat that he could have made, as someone who was overhyped by the bubble for a long time
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #2741 on: December 28, 2022, 06:37:02 AM »

I’d imagine that the kind of people who voted Lib Dem in Cities of London and Westminster would be some of the least likely people to vote Labour in a two way match up (especially in that election) though. Unless I’m wrong on demographics.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2742 on: December 28, 2022, 07:03:11 AM »
« Edited: December 28, 2022, 05:56:21 PM by CumbrianLefty »

With a loud laugh!

I made no objection to those MPs who left the party in 2019; they did so for a range of reasons that were valid in my view, and were imo shared by 65% of the PLP. You shouldn’t remain shackled to a political party and I hope I would say the same if someone in the SCG left now

But joining the Liberals and running in 2019 really did suggest a complete lack of loyalty to the movement or those in it who were trying to keep the show on the road. What if he had won? Would he pretend that Starmers Labour was not actually virtually identical to the party he ran under in 2010 and 2015!

I also bluntly don’t think he was actually someone who identified that closely with the Liberal Democrats other than on Brexit and issues were all social liberals agree- he was ofc at one stage considered on the left of Labours centre and even in 2014/15 was seen as being a Milibandite and not the actual Blairite he was seen as.

Whilst his claims to be on the left of the party were never completely trusted by many, few were prepared for his totally gleefully dancing on Miliband's still warm grave the Sunday morning after the election (with puppet master Mandelson looking on, no less) That was what gave him "enemy" status.

Also pretty well known that he previously planned a breakaway party to be launched coinciding with the 2016 Labour conference, only to get cold feet at literally the last minute.

Not to mention the opaqueness, shall we say, about his personal life - why *did* he suddenly abort his much hyped 2015 leadership bid in any case??

Not a fan Smiley
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2743 on: December 28, 2022, 10:27:18 AM »

With a loud laugh!

Whilst his claims to be on the left of the party were never totally trusted by many, few were prepared for his totally gleefully dancing on Miliband's still warm grave the Sunday morning after the election (with puppet master Mandelson looking on, no less) That was what gave him "enemy" status.

Also pretty well known that he previously planned a breakaway party to be launched coinciding with the 2016 Labour conference, only to get cold feet at literally the last minute.

Not to mention the opagueness, shall we say, about his personal life - why *did* he suddenly abort his much hyped 2015 leadership bid in any case??

Not a fan Smiley

I can remember it well; as someone who sits weirdly between the old right & the soft left of the party I remember thinking 'oh well looks like it's Andy for me' right away- it also started that stupid debate about aspiration & there were mutterings he tacked right because he assumed the Blairite wing (and their circa 30 nominations) were in the back- only for Liz Kendall to appear.

And his hilariously awful windswept launch video in some random high street in a marginal- I want to say Stevenage? 

God the 2015 campaign would translate really well into a play or a 4 part drama; with the highlight of course being when cars containing the candidates (bar JC ofc) were being sent around a roundabout for a clandestine meeting to discuss nuking the leadership rules because of fears about the 'process' specifically that said process was allowing Jeremy to win.

On reflection the biggest divide among the splitters & corbynsceptics was always whether there should be a new vehicle or party, and what form it should take- some people genuinely wanted a new 'third way' 'no labels' party that would basically group the fringes from the Cameronite set, the orange bookers and genuine blairites from the Labour party.

The alternative were people like Mike Gapes who were genuinely at pain to leave (he was a devout Kinnockite!) and would have basically had the the 'new party' as Labour MK2

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2744 on: December 28, 2022, 10:35:58 AM »

On news note I'm not sure of timings but it appears a new North-East 'Governor/Mayor/Emperor/Governor General' position is being created- will cover Newcastle, Durham, Sunderland, Northumberland and I'm sure some other areas I'm forgetting! Election due possibly in 2024.

Jamie Driscoll, the current Metro Mayor for Newcastle, wants to be the labour candidate; he v much got the position as an underdog in 2019 as he had only been a councillor for a year but was popular among the left.

He beat Nick Forbes and my first thought was that Nick Forbes might try to run for this if he doesn't go for a Westminster seat; he was formerly leader of Newcastle Council and head of the Labour Local Government network which gave him a lot of influence but he was ironically bought down after getting de-selected by his local ward party.

I don't know North-East Labour politics well enough to know what will actually happen- but it does seem strange to group Durham in with this- will be fun to watch.

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2745 on: December 29, 2022, 06:13:10 AM »

Oh, and for any who aren't already aware "not a fan" about Umunna above is ironic understatement.

In reality, I despise the man with the force of a thousand suns Smiley

Look up the "British Obama" episode from his earliest days in politics if you want a laugh.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2746 on: December 29, 2022, 09:03:23 AM »

Oh, and for any who aren't already aware "not a fan" about Umunna above is ironic understatement.

In reality, I despise the man with the force of a thousand suns Smiley

Look up the "British Obama" episode from his earliest days in politics if you want a laugh.

He turned out to be less than a British Cory Booker.
Wiswylfen
eadmund

Political Matrix
E: -2.32, S: 4.17

« Reply #2747 on: December 29, 2022, 02:55:49 PM »

On news note I'm not sure of timings but it appears a new North-East 'Governor/Mayor/Emperor/Governor General' position is being created- will cover Newcastle, Durham, Sunderland, Northumberland and I'm sure some other areas I'm forgetting! Election due possibly in 2024.

Jamie Driscoll, the current Metro Mayor for Newcastle, wants to be the labour candidate; he v much got the position as an underdog in 2019 as he had only been a councillor for a year but was popular among the left.

He beat Nick Forbes and my first thought was that Nick Forbes might try to run for this if he doesn't go for a Westminster seat; he was formerly leader of Newcastle Council and head of the Labour Local Government network which gave him a lot of influence but he was ironically bought down after getting de-selected by his local ward party.

I don't know North-East Labour politics well enough to know what will actually happen- but it does seem strange to group Durham in with this- will be fun to watch.

It'll be Kim McGuinness if we have any sense.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #2748 on: December 29, 2022, 03:22:29 PM »

The main reason we didn't get a North East mayoralty first time round was that the leaders of Durham and the south of Tyne authorities weren't prepared to be involved if Forbes was in charge, so it's unlikely he'll get the selection and if he does then the deal will probably collapse.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2749 on: January 02, 2023, 01:28:22 PM »

Briefing in the times suggesting a New Years/January reshuffle.

Had been floated previously & same journo or lobby team irrc got the december '21 scoop.

It seemed interesting in that it confirmed what I & others thought after the last- there were still some people in shadow cabinet roles who aren't pulling their weight or are in briefs that don't really match them. There are a few people who would make good solid junior ministers or who could have less senior roles... the last reshuffle certainly kept some people in post who I expect to leave to now!

There was some weird briefing re names; one comment re Yvette C not making a big enough impact on immigration. It's v hard for her to do so when I assume LOTO will not allow big policy announcements on immigration. There is lots of boring business friendly stuff and others around immigration (reducing/freezing or scrapping fees, changing the income threshold for spousal visas, making short term work visas easier etc) which Labour could do...

She has been fine as a Shadow, is a good defensive batsman on media rounds and the lobby like her- she isn't doing my policies but then any home sec who did wouldn't have even got appointed in the JC era!

There was talk of moving Lammy to a domestic brief- no idea why when he does well in Foreign and didn't exactly thrive at Justice.

Some mummering about Nandy at Levelling up & Housing- again hard to see how she could do better when I assume the party hasn't really begun much work on housing- either the building of social homes, or the various evils of leasehold, private rented and housing associations. Should really be seen as one of the big offices of state in terms of amount of work for a first term Labour Government.

What was interesting was who was tipped for promotion; Stephen Morgan (currently shadow schools and Shadow Armed forces; two easy jobs imho) Darren Jones- because of his work at BEIS Select Committee and Sarah Jones- who has had policing since 2020 and was a big Starmer supporter.

Pages: 1 ... 105 106 107 108 109 [110] 111 112 113 114 115 ... 152  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies