This Once Great Movement Of Ours
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:15:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  This Once Great Movement Of Ours
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 [104] 105 106 107 108 109 ... 152
Author Topic: This Once Great Movement Of Ours  (Read 155906 times)
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2575 on: October 10, 2022, 06:14:33 PM »

He's gonna go out swinging... whip suspension incoming:

Beware trusting 'Labour sources', they are absolute factional BS'ers (and the journalist in your tweet is not one with the most honest sources eg; she claimed Labour canvassing showed them competitive with the Tories while the Lib Dems were falling back in North Shropshire, not exactly the most accurate prediction).
icc
Rookie
« Reply #2576 on: October 10, 2022, 06:24:43 PM »

Beware trusting 'Labour sources', they are absolute factional BS'ers (and the journalist in your tweet is not one with the most honest sources eg; she claimed Labour canvassing showed them competitive with the Tories while the Lib Dems were falling back in North Shropshire, not exactly the most accurate prediction).
Yeah - it’s pretty clear that most of Wearmouth’s sources are hardcore Progress types, who are somehow both the most anti-Labour left and anti-Lib Dem people in British politics.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2577 on: October 10, 2022, 06:35:05 PM »

So inevitable it almost doesn't feel like news. Anyway, the sensible thing for Tarry to do now is to dust himself off and suddenly acquire an interest and appreciation in [insert Essex town here] because with the polls as they are, well, worth a shot right? And if it doesn't work out, then flying the flag in difficult terrain never looks bad on the old CV. He's a bit of a Himbo, though, so...
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #2578 on: October 10, 2022, 08:55:34 PM »

Yeah - it’s pretty clear that most of Wearmouth’s sources are hardcore Progress types, who are somehow both the most anti-Labour left and anti-Lib Dem people in British politics.
They say politics becomes more hostile the smaller the actual difference is, so I guess it makes sense.
Leading Political Consultant Ma Anand Sheela
Heat
Poland

« Reply #2579 on: October 11, 2022, 04:43:26 AM »

Must say that the amount of people descending on Kensington now that it's seen as a marginal is a bit on the nose.

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2580 on: October 11, 2022, 04:47:53 AM »

Interesting selection in Kensington- former MP from 2017-19 and long-time Cllr Emma Dent Coad going up H&F council leader Stephen Cowan.

Can guess who LOTO would prefer…

Actually, this one may not be as simple as some think - EDC received widespread sympathy across the Labour spectrum after an (even by their standards) shockingly unscrupulous and mendacious LibDem campaign basically cost her a win last time (it also featured a deeply suspicious constituency "poll")

The main thing against her now may be her age (mid 60s) plus recent treatment for cancer.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #2581 on: October 11, 2022, 05:44:05 AM »

So inevitable it almost doesn't feel like news. Anyway, the sensible thing for Tarry to do now is to dust himself off and suddenly acquire an interest and appreciation in [insert Essex town here] because with the polls as they are, well, worth a shot right? And if it doesn't work out, then flying the flag in difficult terrain never looks bad on the old CV. He's a bit of a Himbo, though, so...

Famously he was resident in Brighton whilst he was a councillor in Barking and I'm not entirely certain if he established a residence in Ilford or not. And there are a few possible targets on the Sussex coast without candidates selected yet...
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #2582 on: October 11, 2022, 06:04:43 AM »

The main thing against her now may be her age (mid 60s) plus recent treatment for cancer.
Let’s not forget she’s also a bit of a loose cannon eg; comments calling Conservative Shaun Bailey a “token ghetto boy” as well as mocking Prince Harry’s military career.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2583 on: October 11, 2022, 06:38:29 AM »
« Edited: October 11, 2022, 08:09:55 AM by CumbrianLefty »

I got the impression they are more Akehurst-type LtW people.

Of course, some in Progress probably find the LibDems a bit left wing Wink

(obviously the online Corbynista trope that all those to the right of them in Labour are "closet Tories" is very silly - however, there *are* a few who you strongly suspect joined the party simply because they seemed to be the best career option at the time, and most of these seem to be Progress adjacent)
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #2584 on: October 11, 2022, 07:41:15 AM »

There used to be more of those, but it's been 12 years and most of the really brazen careerists jumped ship years ago.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2585 on: October 11, 2022, 07:45:02 AM »

No dignity in defeat:

Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #2586 on: October 11, 2022, 07:57:39 AM »

"Stop the steal" - Sam Tarry, 2022
Wiswylfen
eadmund

Political Matrix
E: -2.32, S: 4.17

« Reply #2587 on: October 11, 2022, 11:03:49 AM »

Out of curiosity I made a list of constituencies (all Tory-held and with majorities listed) where, on criteria outlined in this thread, Tarry could possibly seek selection:

East Worthing and Shoreham - 7,474
Rochford and Southend East - 12,286
Harlow - 14,063
Southend West - 14,459*
Worthing West - 14,823
South Basildon and East Thurrock - 19,922

Other targets in suggested areas have either already selected (Hastings and Rye) or are in the process of selection (Colchester; Dagenham and Rainham; and Thurrock).
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #2588 on: October 11, 2022, 12:15:36 PM »

The easiest option was to gracefully accept defeat and use his left wing credibility to seek Islington North. Hard to see the leadership not actively opposing his election elsewhere now.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #2589 on: October 12, 2022, 03:11:20 AM »

The easiest option was to gracefully accept defeat and use his left wing credibility to seek Islington North. Hard to see the leadership not actively opposing his election elsewhere now.

That would be suicidal, he’d lose the respect of the only people who actually like him - Corbyn isn’t backing down.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2590 on: October 12, 2022, 08:24:22 AM »
« Edited: October 12, 2022, 08:42:58 AM by CumbrianLefty »

That would be suicidal, he’d lose the respect of the only people who actually like him - Corbyn isn’t backing down.

And what does that mean exactly? If indeed Corbyn stands as an Independent at the next GE, there will surely have to be a Labour candidate against him - and one might think someone with leftist cred could have a better chance of both winning and getting some local party support. He is certainly a better suggestion than some ex-MP or hack (Mary Creagh was floated for example, give me strength)
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2591 on: October 12, 2022, 09:39:46 AM »

And what does that mean exactly? If indeed Corbyn stands as an Independent at the next GE, there will surely have to be a Labour candidate against him - and one might think someone with leftist cred could have a better chance of both winning and getting some local party support. He is certainly a better suggestion than some ex-MP or hack (Mary Creagh was floated for example, give me strength)

The local party are going to back Corbyn en masse despite the consequences, as they’ve made clear, why would Tarry throw away the good will he has from Corbynites by being the guy to go against him? You may think Tarry is stupid enough to do that, I don’t.

Also the candidate who runs against Corbyn will be irrelevant to our chances of winning the seat. The choice is an MP who will back Keir to be PM or Corbyn, no one will care if the prospective MP is Mary Creagh, Luciana Berger, some Islington councillor, or a random guy from Manchester. If people want Corbynism, they’ll vote Corbyn, if they don’t want Corbynism they’ll vote Labour - it is not complex.

Shocking I know, but peoples opinions of Corbyn are already set in stone,
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2592 on: October 13, 2022, 05:32:04 AM »

The local party are going to back Corbyn en masse despite the consequences, as they’ve made clear

Are they, and have they?

Interestingly, I recall Corbyn and his supporters making the fact his CLP was not homogenous in that respect a virtue in his original 2015 leadership campaign and subsequently. There is no reason why an "acceptably" left wing replacement couldn't win over many of them - indeed, its very possible that JC himself decides not to stand again in those circumstances.

OTOH if the blowhards at party HQ just decide to parachute in some careerist right winger to rub their noses in it, then the response will be predictable - as will the likely result electorally too.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2593 on: October 13, 2022, 10:03:15 AM »

Christina Rees (Neath) has whip suspended for allegations of bullying
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #2594 on: October 13, 2022, 11:15:02 AM »

Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2595 on: October 13, 2022, 11:34:11 AM »

The local party are going to back Corbyn en masse despite the consequences, as they’ve made clear

Are they, and have they?

Interestingly, I recall Corbyn and his supporters making the fact his CLP was not homogenous in that respect a virtue in his original 2015 leadership campaign and subsequently. There is no reason why an "acceptably" left wing replacement couldn't win over many of them - indeed, its very possible that JC himself decides not to stand again in those circumstances.

OTOH if the blowhards at party HQ just decide to parachute in some careerist right winger to rub their noses in it, then the response will be predictable - as will the likely result electorally too.

The failed rule change at conference was led by his CLP, theres this article from January that covers some of it - but it’s not great https://www.islingtontribune.co.uk/article/corbyn-is-our-man-says-labour-amid-rumour-he-was-starting-his-own-party

Also just…have you never met anyone from his CLP? The loyalty to him is undying even amongst those who politically differed from him - they aren’t going to abandon him.

I think Corbyn may decide to give up because he’s too tired, but he will not abandon his principles to back a Labour candidate when he’s not been readmitted - and no Corbynite with a shred of principles or self respect will stand against him. I mean, I’d never trust anyone who’d backed Corbyn but then ran against him, and I can’t see why anyone would trust someone so clearly lacking in moral fibre.

Better to run someone who always opposed him to give the people a choice.

Personally I don’t really care if Corbyn wins as an independent, Islington North is a price worth paying - and it shows the country that he’s dead and buried in Labour.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2596 on: October 13, 2022, 11:38:51 AM »

The problem I have isn’t the hereditary working class principle, it’s the fact it’s not shown in the context of how Labour governments lifted successive generations out of poverty and created actual social mobility. E.g. My Great-grandparents were miners, but Attlee lifted them out of poverty, my grandparents worked in an office but Wilson enabled my mum to go to university & Blairs child tax credits enabled her to work and have me - and I went to uni thanks to the expanded places offered. And this is a pretty common story - the only social mobility in this countries history has been under Labour governments and we shouldn’t act like it’s a bad thing.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2597 on: October 13, 2022, 11:43:59 AM »

That's not really what he's doing though: he's mentioning that his Great Grandfather* worked in a local pit to prove that he is One Of Us rather than an outsider despite the fact that he's lived and worked in London, and follows it up with where his parents went to school and so on. A Local Candidate for Local People rather than Prolier than Thou, if you will. Though it's worth adding that mentioning mining ancestry in Durham (and it is routine then to mention the pit in question etc) is a very specific shibboleth used for signalling, but it's more about this notion of truly belonging to the place (even if in part) than class: Durham was a very... er... singular coalfield in many respects and pit families formed what amounted to a caste of sorts from the 18th century onwards and there are still a few echoes of this rattling around. And there's no way he doesn't know that, or isn't aware that there will be CLP members of a certain age (read: people in their seventies and eighties whose fathers worked in local collieries) more likely to vote to back a candidate with mining ancestry than one without. Not many, for sure, but every individual vote counts in a selection meeting.

*And the coal industry has been dead in that part of Co. Durham for long enough that 'Great Grandad' would be the norm for the most recent forebear to have worked down a pit for someone in their thirties, with the answer for a minority being 'Grandad'. The very last pit in the constituency closed in 1973 and most were gone before the end of the 1960s.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2598 on: October 13, 2022, 12:25:41 PM »

On the JC discourse the main reason for him not running is not wanting to put other members or even MPs in a bad position; the party would have grounds to suspend anyone who campaigned for him or supported him.

I am not expert on his seat; he would probably do relatively well on the basis of his personal vote (both as a constituency MP and his leadership vibes) but enough to get to the number needed to beat someone inoffensive?  Perhaps not, and ofc it’s much harder in a GE compared to a by election especially if the current polls are to be followed.

Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2599 on: October 13, 2022, 03:39:04 PM »

On the JC discourse the main reason for him not running is not wanting to put other members or even MPs in a bad position; the party would have grounds to suspend anyone who campaigned for him or supported him.

I am not expert on his seat; he would probably do relatively well on the basis of his personal vote (both as a constituency MP and his leadership vibes) but enough to get to the number needed to beat someone inoffensive?  Perhaps not, and ofc it’s much harder in a GE compared to a by election especially if the current polls are to be followed.

What, because he’s so famously a team player renown for compromise?

If he doesn’t run it’s because he doesn’t want to be an MP anymore. He will not be moved by trivialities about other peoples memberships of the Labour Party. Jeez, I don’t like the guy, but even I can see he’s got more principles than that.

I seriously question how anyone whose ever visited Islington could write off Corbyn winning as an independent, George Galloway - who is a far more toxic, unpleasant and less well known figure - did it twice without the home field advantage Corbyn has in Islington.

It’s not like a random back bench MP running as an independent after being thrown out for an ethics scandal, it’s Jeremy Corbyn, thrown out for - as the majority of his constituents will see it - taking a moral stand for the Palestinians. It is wishful thinking to dismiss his chances.
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 [104] 105 106 107 108 109 ... 152  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies