This Once Great Movement Of Ours (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:56:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  This Once Great Movement Of Ours (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: This Once Great Movement Of Ours  (Read 146760 times)
Leading Political Consultant Ma Anand Sheela
Heat

« on: August 16, 2020, 05:57:09 PM »

These things will keep happening because, even if Corbynista Twitter were not arguing in bad-faith, as they are, it isn't possible for Starmer to appease them because it would make no sense for a high-ranking politician who believes the institutions of the British state must be reformed to respect the rights of ordinary people to suddenly turn around and decide they should go out of their way to be intelligible to a tiny, very weird subset of the population (i.e. people who argue about Labour internal politics online) and almost certainly make themselves less intelligible to everyone else. At some point we must simply start to ignore it.
Heat

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 06:00:44 PM »

Streeting has mostly kept his nose clean since getting a shadow post, to give him his due.
While I generally distrust anyone with 'NUS' on their resume, Streeting seems like the type who is basically fine so long as he points his gun in the right direction.
Heat

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 10:46:57 AM »

Lewis is not fit to run a bath and the last leadership election suggests the PLP are well aware of that.
Heat

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 05:48:27 PM »

I think the whole point of electing someone like Keir Starmer as leader is that they're hopefully not going to panic and make chaotic decisions with completely predictably poor results at the first sign of trouble, and so him doing exactly that sort of defeats the point.

Bring in the Drakeford Regency.
Heat

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 11:24:24 AM »

One of Labour's hang-ups is a tendency to think very much in terms of place, when that isn't really how our society is structured now.
While a certain sentimental mindset is inevitable given the nature of the Labour Party, I think the mental prison imposed by FPTP does exacerbate this.
Heat

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2021, 02:08:41 PM »
« Edited: September 22, 2021, 02:14:25 PM by The Woman from Edward Hopper's 'Automat' »

Knock off the glue Mark, solvent abuse is very dangerous.
I am shocked that someone who once lost an election to Rob Flello might not have the most finely-tuned political antennae.

Anyway, while I can't say I have much of a problem with the proposed changes in principle, the bull-in-a-china-shop way they're being pushed certainly gives the impression that the right's most bone-headed factional operatives have fallen in love with the (mythical, impossible) idea of swift and final victory as much as their left-wing equivalents have, and whoever originated the 'even if conference votes them down, we still win because we're being seen to fight the loony left' spin that's been going around is quite, quite mad.
Heat

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2021, 01:39:40 PM »

I think I've said this before, but my impression of Streeting is that he performs well enough when he's taking aim at Tories, but he's addicted to pointlessly trying to own factional opponents. Personally I blame his background.
Heat

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2022, 07:55:39 PM »

Those two are always amusing as, in practice, their politics aren't that far removed from his lmao. Ah, the Labour Party.
Trickett's brain has sadly been melted by the Corbyn years.
Heat

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2022, 04:13:08 PM »

Those two are always amusing as, in practice, their politics aren't that far removed from his lmao. Ah, the Labour Party.
Trickett's brain has sadly been melted by the Corbyn years.
I mean, just look at this:

https://twitter.com/jon_trickett/status/1482304140575481857
Heat

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2022, 06:49:55 AM »
« Edited: March 09, 2022, 07:05:37 AM by Ellie Rowsell »

Fairly clearly the leadership should have got the local CLP to quietly veto him joining and told him to try the Lib Dems instead - it's been obvious for a couple of years that this was going to happen sooner or later.
One of the times where the problem has been not distancing themselves enough from something Corbyn did.
Heat

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2022, 11:59:29 AM »

Or try to convince Trickett to stand down at Hemsworth.
Wouldn't even be too surprised by this, he seems understandably a bit tired these days.
Heat

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2022, 01:40:16 PM »

The smacking t comments were so stupid and clearly a sign of how he would approach politics.
They're also why I'm not worried (and worried would be the term) about him winning a leadership contest - he'd try to make some clever quip and wind up sounding like he was endorsing one of his opponents.
Heat

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2022, 11:33:50 AM »

Noted internal allies *checks notes* Andy Burnham and Harriet Harman.
Heat

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2022, 07:17:11 PM »

It's really quite noticeable that, at a time when so many of Labour's most obviously rising stars are women (some of whom I personally don't rate at all, but a lot of people do), people are most focused on a man who's still under 40 but acts like he'll die if he isn't promoted tomorrow and a man whose last leadership campaign put even David Miliband's effort to shame in terms of how spectacularly it imploded.
Heat

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2022, 09:34:27 AM »
« Edited: June 26, 2022, 09:39:07 AM by ms. yung globalist »

This does come back to a central problem is that it's impossible for people to go 'The leadership think X, therefore I can say Y on this issue'. There is no guiding light, so people just freelance...
And of course, Starmer was supposed to fix this after the Corbyn years.

There's a specific problem here too - Shadow Foreign Sec is basically a free-roving position most of the time, and it's been given to someone who has strongly-held views that may not necessarily align with the tack the party wants to take at any given moment, isn't shy about expressing them, and hasn't been given a party line. This was a bit of an issue with Nandy too, but not to the same extent. It doesn't reflect well on Starmer and his team either that they've put Lammy in such a post as opposed to one (Shadow Home) that would genuinely reflect his strengths. But I suppose it was vital to give clique fave Yvette Cooper yet another chance to accomplish nothing in particular.
Heat

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2022, 10:22:05 AM »

Louise Haigh my beloved
Heat

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2022, 06:53:42 AM »

Duffield might face problems too - she mostly uses her public platform for transphobia, has a bad relationship with a lot of people in the CLP and she's rumoured not to be particularly active in the constituency. That said, the trigger ballot there is being run by wards rather than branches, some of the wards are rather small and this will make it harder for those wards to run a quorate ballot (and if it's inquorate then it's effectively a vote against holding a full re-selection.)
As far as I can tell, that CLP would be okay if she just focused on a different kind of bigotry.
Heat

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2022, 08:31:23 AM »

Duffield might face problems too - she mostly uses her public platform for transphobia, has a bad relationship with a lot of people in the CLP and she's rumoured not to be particularly active in the constituency. That said, the trigger ballot there is being run by wards rather than branches, some of the wards are rather small and this will make it harder for those wards to run a quorate ballot (and if it's inquorate then it's effectively a vote against holding a full re-selection.)
As far as I can tell, that CLP would be okay if she just focused on a different kind of bigotry.

What kind of bigotry?
Very invested in Israel/Palestine issues, but not in a righteous or healthy way.
Heat

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2022, 05:45:00 AM »

What is the point of Rachel Reeves?
Heat

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2022, 07:49:02 AM »

The frustrating thing is that I feel there isn’t even any appetite in the party to use the tools of the state to tame the privatised industries- the water companies are universally hated for pumping sewage into our rivers and the domestic electricity supplier market has virtually collapsed- I could live with some fudge around the ownership model if say Labour were going to basically call for a stricter price cap on bills- I mean all of the companies who would go bust have already done so!
The situation under Corbyn was that there was a fair bit of clarity on what the party wanted to do on utilities (nationalisation being such a no-brainer for the Labour Left) but no such thing as far as welfare was concerned. For a while I thought Labour under Starmer might be arriving at the reverse of that, but with Reynolds (who was genuinely trying to think creatively about this stuff) shuffled out and replaced with Ashworth (who, while not dumb at all, seems much less visible - or maybe I'm just paying less attention), it doesn't seem like we're even getting that.
Heat

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2022, 07:58:56 AM »

Yeah I agree I was very upset that Reynolds left as he was very good in that role and clearly someone who went though a journey when he was in the Treasury Team under John Mac. I think in 2019 there was a big row over Universal Credit to the extent that John Mac wrote the policy rather than the non entity who was shadow DWP.
Having to coast on McDonnell saying 'come on, it's me' when the actual manifesto wasn't clear on what it wanted to do at all was a problem in 2017 as well. Corbyn's neglect of the Shadow DWP role has to count as a major strike against him.
Heat

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2022, 10:47:04 AM »

Cruddas did announce his retirement at a v late stage.

Tarry is lucky the council leader is going for Barking- Rodwell is very popular.

Barking is a bunfight, Ibrahim Dogus (big donor, West Brom candidate in 2019) is also going for it - and I’ve heard of at least two ex-MP’s sniffing around. He may decide Dagenham is an easier selection to win even if the general election is harder (though I’d agree it’s unlikely).
Reminder that Dogus lost WBE in 2019 because the news broke that he'd been investigated for money laundering...
Heat

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2022, 10:48:09 AM »

Cruddas did announce his retirement at a v late stage.

Tarry is lucky the council leader is going for Barking- Rodwell is very popular.

Barking is a bunfight, Ibrahim Dogus (big donor, West Brom candidate in 2019) is also going for it - and I’ve heard of at least two ex-MP’s sniffing around. He may decide Dagenham is an easier selection to win even if the general election is harder (though I’d agree it’s unlikely).

The main problem for the council leader in Dagenham is Cruddas himself, who made it very clear he heavily dislikes him (and also those members who are in Havering wards).

It’s a good point, but I have to wonder how much the average member (even in his constituency) cares what Jon Cruddas thinks? I’ve always found him insufferable and out of touch.
My understanding is that he's always been very popular with his CLP.
Heat

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2022, 11:03:47 AM »

Even by normal "Labour thinker" standards he is incredibly pessimistic, though. I still recall his claim that the Big Society (remember that, folks?) could be "absolutely devastating" for Labour - something that seemed outlandish at the time and appears positively hilarious now.
Is he pessimistic or does he choose his words with what he wants other people to do in mind, though...
Heat

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2022, 06:55:55 AM »

Oops… (Survation claims it was from a 2020 deputy leadership template)

This is a really bizarre story, at first I took survation at their word that it was a mistake - but the reactions have been so visceral it makes me wonder if RAK is plotting something. I know she’s not very popular with MPs anymore cos they see her as posturing, but she’s popular with the members.
I'd been told the story about RAK supposedly asking her aides 'tell me one thing you've done today to make me Labour leader' before it got leaked, with the caveat that it was likely Chinese whispers. She's obviously ambitious but this just feels like classic THIGMOO backbiting/briefing ouroboros, maybe amplified by the fact that RAK hasn't spent years courting all the 'correct' tastemakers to make up for being a woman.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies