COVID-19 Megathread 3: Third time's a charm
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 09:03:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 3: Third time's a charm
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 62
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 3: Third time's a charm  (Read 149329 times)
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #575 on: March 27, 2020, 05:13:11 PM »

When I was a kid I thought America was the greatest country and the year 2020 would be the future with incredibly technology and amazing human achievements.

2020 sucks, the American government looks totally incompetent, all over the world voters have embraced regressive governments with an eye towards the past.

I hope when we move past this the world will embrace science, competent governance, and progress with a move away from this trend of xenophobic hate for "the other", that actually does nothing at all to protect you at the end of the day.

Sickle and hammer hippy traitors should probably emigrate.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #576 on: March 27, 2020, 05:14:53 PM »

When I was a kid I thought America was the greatest country and the year 2020 would be the future with incredibly technology and amazing human achievements.

2020 sucks, the American government looks totally incompetent, all over the world voters have embraced regressive governments with an eye towards the past.

I hope when we move past this the world will embrace science, competent governance, and progress with a move away from this trend of xenophobic hate for "the other", that actually does nothing at all to protect you at the end of the day.

If I were younger, I’d have more hope, but I honestly think it’s nearly impossible to get rid of xenophobia and get people to think more logically. Honestly, some of the reactions I’ve noticed of people blaming “the Chinese” (not the government, mind you, Chinese *people*) for this virus doesn’t give me much hope of people putting science over fear of “the other.”
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #577 on: March 27, 2020, 05:19:21 PM »

Man, this timeline sucks.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #578 on: March 27, 2020, 05:22:32 PM »
« Edited: March 27, 2020, 05:25:35 PM by Arch »

Most things along this line of thought precipitate my previous perspective on the U.S., putting me on the fast track to emigrate once I finish my PhD.

What does it have to offer? Bankruptcy on a major accident or significant sickness? The inability to buy good property? Toxic politics that don't care about its own citizens? Millions of second class citizens that don't have voting representation in Congress and that can't vote for their own president? 

I mean, the indignity can only go so far.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #579 on: March 27, 2020, 05:25:28 PM »

Understatement of the century!
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #580 on: March 27, 2020, 05:25:54 PM »

Most things along this line of thought precipitate my previous perspective on the U.S., putting me on the fast track to emigrate once I finish my PhD.

What does it have to offer? Bankruptcy on a major accident or significant sickness? The inability to buy a good property? Toxic politics that don't care about its own citizens? Millions of second class citizens?  

I mean, the indignity can only go so far.

America is still by far the most powerful and advanced country in the world, and the world's sole superpower. Yes, we are not handling this coronavirus well, but neither are countries that have health care systems that liberals would like. There have been epic setbacks in this century in particular, but America's status is more secure than ever.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #581 on: March 27, 2020, 05:39:46 PM »

Millions of second class citizens that don't have voting representation in Congress and that can't vote for their own president? 

Are you really threatening to leave the country because some felons cant vote?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #582 on: March 27, 2020, 05:40:52 PM »
« Edited: March 27, 2020, 06:11:02 PM by Arch »

Millions of second class citizens that don't have voting representation in Congress and that can't vote for their own president? 

Are you really threatening to leave the country because some felons cant vote?

American citizens residing in Puerto Rico aren't felons. Felons, on the other hand, can/do have representation if they're in the states.

That was my reality growing up as a second class American citizen. You would be a second class citizen too, if you bought a house/rented an apartment in and moved to Puerto Rico, just like that.

You can see how bad it is, seeing how your assumption went to felons, and it wasn't a bad assumption. However, this whole exchange reveals just how absurd that one situation is, and it's just one of the numbers on my list.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #583 on: March 27, 2020, 05:49:02 PM »

America is still by far the most powerful and advanced country in the world, and the world's sole superpower.

Some superpower, that can't even give masks, scrubs, and gloves to its Doctors and Nurses in the biggest health crisis of our lifetime. What a joke.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #584 on: March 27, 2020, 05:58:45 PM »

America is still by far the most powerful and advanced country in the world, and the world's sole superpower.

Some superpower, that can't even give masks, scrubs, and gloves to its Doctors and Nurses in the biggest health crisis of our lifetime. What a joke.

It can't even stop a public health crisis that Singapore stopped.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #585 on: March 27, 2020, 06:07:32 PM »

If Trump honestly gets re-elected after This Disaster Response this country truly has lost its way
Seattle
United States

« Reply #586 on: March 27, 2020, 06:18:56 PM »

Washington update 3/27:

3,700 cases (+493)
175 deaths (+28)

Not as many cases reported as yesterday, but it's pretty clear from the death rate that there are a lot of unreported cases. My small office is closed and I'm in home isolation with my roommates as I was very likely exposed to the virus at work last week. Five of my coworkers are experiencing mild to moderate flu/COVID-19 symptoms (fever, cough, sore throat, no sense of smell/taste). Thus far I'm symptom free and it's been 7 full days since interacting with any of them, so hoping that continues.

My symptomatic coworkers have encountered trouble getting tested. No one is sick enough to go to the ER or urgent care and flu elimination testing is not recommended because if they don't have corona, they could be exposed to it at the doctor's office. It's frustrating!
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #587 on: March 27, 2020, 06:30:28 PM »

Cell phone tracking data (anonymized) shows how much Miami Beach Spring Break could spread the virus...

Exacerbating this problem was that a lot of kids went home after spring break instead of returning to campus (because many U.S. universities closed during this week), thus allowing them to spread the virus back to their hometowns

An aggressive, scientifically-valid and responsible #FlattenTheCurve response would have been to forcibly lock them in their dorm rooms to die of COVID-19.  I can't believe our public heath officials aren't looking out for us in this regard. 
FrancoAgo
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -6.66, S: -3.33

« Reply #588 on: March 27, 2020, 06:32:55 PM »

In Italy one of the first things they told was if you suspect to have corona virus don't go to ER or to doctor call them
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #589 on: March 27, 2020, 06:37:42 PM »

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #590 on: March 27, 2020, 06:41:11 PM »

That should go over well with the voters in Michigan.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #591 on: March 27, 2020, 06:47:55 PM »

That should go over well with the voters in Michigan.

Withholding federal assistance because the recipient wouldn't do him a personal favor is literally what he was impeached for.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #592 on: March 27, 2020, 06:48:13 PM »

The woman in Michigan
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #593 on: March 27, 2020, 07:03:53 PM »

The US response has really turned the corner.  We’re testing more than anyone else in the world by far.  We have a lot of ventilators and are ramping up production.  Things are really looking up.
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #594 on: March 27, 2020, 07:07:16 PM »

Withholding federal assistance because the recipient wouldn't do him a personal favor is literally what he was impeached for.

Don’t worry; I’m sure Susan Collins is “very concerned” about him learning his lesson.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #595 on: March 27, 2020, 07:08:37 PM »

Cell phone tracking data (anonymized) shows how much Miami Beach Spring Break could spread the virus...

Man, I hate Millennials.

Millennials aren't doing Spring Break anymore. The youngest Millennials are either in the final years of grad school or have just started working. The oldest millennials are turning 40 next year.

Zoomers is the generational cohort you are looking for.

Yeah, but it's probably a millennial that invented that cell phone tracker tech.
FrancoAgo
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -6.66, S: -3.33

« Reply #596 on: March 27, 2020, 07:09:23 PM »

The US response has really turned the corner.  We’re testing more than anyone else in the world by far.  We have a lot of ventilators and are ramping up production.  Things are really looking up.

what? relatively the US are not testing more than anyone else by far
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #597 on: March 27, 2020, 07:11:23 PM »

The US response has really turned the corner.  We’re testing more than anyone else in the world by far.  We have a lot of ventilators and are ramping up production.  Things are really looking up.

what? relatively the US are not testing more than anyone else by far

Per capita we’re now upper middle of the pack among the 1st world, but its ramping up at a much quicker rate than other places.

Just a few days ago we were on par with Canada.  Not even close anymore.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #598 on: March 27, 2020, 07:14:21 PM »

The woman in Michigan

Who wants to bet he’s mad she won MI by ~800k more votes than he did?
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #599 on: March 27, 2020, 07:17:51 PM »

Don't worry, cause Florida has got it figured out now.  They're going to put state troopers at the panhandle border and stop any cars with Louisiana plates and tell them they must self-quarantine for two weeks.  

https://www.nola.com/news/coronavirus/article_3d4a07c2-706b-11ea-9d59-432041c0536c.html

Of course, Florida just passed Louisiana for positive results today.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 62  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies