COVID-19 Megathread 3: Third time's a charm
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 01:57:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 3: Third time's a charm
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 62
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 3: Third time's a charm  (Read 148636 times)
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: March 27, 2020, 01:59:30 PM »

Tennessee seems the weirdest state on the map.  700 cases vs 300 in VA.

Virginia has a decent state government.
9 of the 10 states with the highest infection rates have Democratic governors. The only exception is Massachusetts.

Why do the states party affiliation matter?

Ask Dingo Joe.

Maybe he does not understand the difference between causality and correlation.

If there is a causal link it is probably indirect.
I made an error. Phil Scott is a Republican. So 8 of the Top 10 are led by Democrats.

StateCase/M
New York1540
New Jersey484
Louisiana378
Washington337
Massachusetts263
District of Columbia255
Connecticut243
Michigan230
Vermont201
Colorado175
Illinois146

Another consideration is that Democratic governors don’t have the same pressure to follow Trump’s lead to downplay the severity of the crisis in the hopes of keeping the stock market up, and have consciously pressed for more testing and more resources for testing, revealing higher numbers of infections. They may also be willing to push the federal government for resources while Republican governors will be incentivized to not make waves or fight with an administration from the same party. Charlie Baker, notably, evinces an independence from Trump that most Republican governors are frightened to emulate.

Regrettably, I fear that the Democratic “advantage” in positive tests will be eclipsed by a Republican lead on death rate after the coronavirus gets completely out of control in states following the thoughts and prayers approach to public health.

If we think density is an issue, that does not bode well for Florida, which has some of the densest communities in the U.S. and where the governor still thinks enforcing quarantine on people traveling from the north is an effective alternative to a shutdown.
The number of deaths is generally consistent with the number of cases. Lots of people are dying in New York because of lots of people are infected. Lots of people are being tested as positive because they are infected.

If only Andrew Gillum had been elected?
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #551 on: March 27, 2020, 02:00:16 PM »

Let's get a quorum together, why don't we!
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #552 on: March 27, 2020, 02:05:27 PM »

Tennessee seems the weirdest state on the map.  700 cases vs 300 in VA.

Virginia has a decent state government.
9 of the 10 states with the highest infection rates have Democratic governors. The only exception is Massachusetts.

Why do the states party affiliation matter?

Ask Dingo Joe.

Maybe he does not understand the difference between causality and correlation.

If there is a causal link it is probably indirect.
I made an error. Phil Scott is a Republican. So 8 of the Top 10 are led by Democrats.

StateCase/M
New York1540
New Jersey484
Louisiana378
Washington337
Massachusetts263
District of Columbia255
Connecticut243
Michigan230
Vermont201
Colorado175
Illinois146

Another consideration is that Democratic governors don’t have the same pressure to follow Trump’s lead to downplay the severity of the crisis in the hopes of keeping the stock market up, and have consciously pressed for more testing and more resources for testing, revealing higher numbers of infections. They may also be willing to push the federal government for resources while Republican governors will be incentivized to not make waves or fight with an administration from the same party. Charlie Baker, notably, evinces an independence from Trump that most Republican governors are frightened to emulate.

Regrettably, I fear that the Democratic “advantage” in positive tests will be eclipsed by a Republican lead on death rate after the coronavirus gets completely out of control in states following the thoughts and prayers approach to public health.

If we think density is an issue, that does not bode well for Florida, which has some of the densest communities in the U.S. and where the governor still thinks enforcing quarantine on people traveling from the north is an effective alternative to a shutdown.
The number of deaths is generally consistent with the number of cases. Lots of people are dying in New York because of lots of people are infected. Lots of people are being tested as positive because they are infected.

If only Andrew Gillum had been elected?

Hey, the jury's still out on how much meth-fueled gay orgies pass on coronavirus.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #553 on: March 27, 2020, 02:11:11 PM »

Hey, the jury's still out on how much meth-fueled gay orgies pass on coronavirus.

Lemme get my friends at Brown on the horn, have them run some tests.  
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #554 on: March 27, 2020, 02:47:33 PM »

We're about to hit 100,000 cases total today, and we're now over 1,500 deaths, with many states yet to report updated statistics.
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #555 on: March 27, 2020, 02:49:55 PM »

Cell phone tracking data (anonymized) shows how much Miami Beach Spring Break could spread the virus...

jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #556 on: March 27, 2020, 02:55:00 PM »

I saw this discussed on Rachel Maddow last night as a good thing, but it strikes me as a huge failure of government action:

Why a Tiny Colorado County Can Offer COVID-19 Tests to Every Resident

They plan to test every single resident of a small Colorado county twice.  That’s great!  Why was the county chosen?  Because a couple of major biotech executive own a ski chalet there.]Because a couple of major biotech executive own a ski chalet there.

It is absolutely criminal that determinations of where testing is done is based on where tech billionaires vacation.  Private sector executives should have no say in where testing is done.  The biotech manufacturers should be commandeered by the federal government, who should determine how many tests are produced, and tests should be distributed where most beneficial to society.  

(I do think it would be beneficial to test everyone in certain areas, whether symptomatic or not, but this is NOT how to decide which areas this should be.)
The test was developed by the company owned by the executives who live part of the year in Telluride.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #557 on: March 27, 2020, 02:55:37 PM »

Cell phone tracking data (anonymized) shows how much Miami Beach Spring Break could spread the virus...

Having been one of those spring breakers for all four years of undergrad down at South Padre Island in Texas: yeah, I'm not surprised.  

Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #558 on: March 27, 2020, 03:11:24 PM »

Market volatility continues as major indexes finished in the red (capping off the best week in eighty-two years per Marketwatch). 

DOW finished -915.39 (-4.06%)

SP500 finished -88.60 (-3.37%)

NASDAQ finished -295.16 (-3.79%)

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #559 on: March 27, 2020, 03:11:54 PM »

Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #560 on: March 27, 2020, 03:13:01 PM »

Great News, though too late.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #561 on: March 27, 2020, 03:31:28 PM »

President Trump about to sign the $2 trillion stimulus package relief bill soon!
Big thanks to President Trump and Congress for getting this done!
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #562 on: March 27, 2020, 03:34:21 PM »

Lemme get my friends at Brown on the horn, have them run some tests.  

WV continues to report very few cases, so there is that data point.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #563 on: March 27, 2020, 03:46:47 PM »

Another House member:

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #564 on: March 27, 2020, 03:50:11 PM »

NAZBOL GANG.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #565 on: March 27, 2020, 03:50:57 PM »

Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #566 on: March 27, 2020, 04:03:03 PM »

The state of New York had 134 deaths from COVID-19 in the last 24 hours.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #567 on: March 27, 2020, 04:05:03 PM »

Man, I hate Millennials.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #568 on: March 27, 2020, 04:09:39 PM »

Another House member:

This was inevitable.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #569 on: March 27, 2020, 04:11:51 PM »

Man, I hate Millennials.

Millennials aren't doing Spring Break anymore. The youngest Millennials are either in the final years of grad school or have just started working. The oldest millennials are turning 40 next year.

Zoomers is the generational cohort you are looking for.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #570 on: March 27, 2020, 04:13:24 PM »

Man, I hate Millennials.

Can't say I disagree (despite that being my generation) but this is mostly Gen Z with the spring breakers.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #571 on: March 27, 2020, 04:22:36 PM »

That's a pretty snazzy tool they have there. Good thing no goverment will ever use it for nefarious purposes like tracking where people who attended a protest came from and went to.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #572 on: March 27, 2020, 04:25:26 PM »

Man, I hate Millennials.

Millennials aren't doing Spring Break anymore. The youngest Millennials are either in the final years of grad school or have just started working. The oldest millennials are turning 40 next year.

Zoomers is the generational cohort you are looking for.

True in general, although there's more nontraditional students than ever these days and plenty of "college freshmen" might be in their late 20s or whatever. But your basic point is absolutely right, the spring break crowd aren't Millennials.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #573 on: March 27, 2020, 04:42:39 PM »
« Edited: March 27, 2020, 04:47:07 PM by Penn_Quaker_Girl »

NAZBOL GANG.

We are living in a day and age where John Kerry has agreed with Trump on Twitter, Donald Trump has complimented John Kerry...on Twitter, a stimulus bill passed through the House that involved TWO TRILLION dollars and only ONE Republican House member publicly spoke out against it, it's March 27th and there is not a SINGLE professional sporting event being played anywhere in America, the UK Parliament is shut down for a month, gas is averaging $2.05 a gallon, GM is gearing up to mass produce medical equipment, and Atlas Forum is no longer.  

2020, y'all.  
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #574 on: March 27, 2020, 05:01:15 PM »

When I was a kid I thought America was the greatest country and the year 2020 would be the future with incredibly technology and amazing human achievements.

2020 sucks, the American government looks totally incompetent, all over the world voters have embraced regressive governments with an eye towards the past.

I hope when we move past this the world will embrace science, competent governance, and progress with a move away from this trend of xenophobic hate for "the other", that actually does nothing at all to protect you at the end of the day.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 62  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies