Coronavirus & 2020
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 08:41:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Coronavirus & 2020
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12
Author Topic: Coronavirus & 2020  (Read 10786 times)
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: March 13, 2020, 07:12:57 PM »

Trump did at great job today. Market was up big. If Trump prevents an Italy or Korea he will get big marks from the public and will possibly ensure his re-election

South Korea tested 10,000 people per day.

In contrast, the US has only tested 11,000 people in total.

Meanwhile, the monkey-in-chief is not taking any responsibility and is blaming Obama.

Did you listen to the press conference? Are you following / reading the coverage of the virus in America?

Medical experts (NOT Trump, NOT Republicans ... medical experts) explained that America couldn’t do what South Korea did because America has a system that doesn’t facilitate that sort of rapid, nationwide testing against a novel virus. Specifically, the FDA has to approve the testing system  first, and their requirements (it appears) are quite stringent. In the confines of the laws, what could anyone have done to circumvent this system?

They did announce the approval of the Roche testing. And NYC announced that  drive-in testing is coming. So they are making headway.

That's a nice way throwing your hands up in the air and say, "not my fault!"
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #251 on: March 13, 2020, 08:07:55 PM »

Trump did at great job today. Market was up big. If Trump prevents an Italy or Korea he will get big marks from the public and will possibly ensure his re-election

As this point, there is almost zero chance that our situation will resolve itself better than Korea.  We will probably pass Korea in Coronovirus deaths within the next three days.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #252 on: March 13, 2020, 08:19:08 PM »

This is a grave matter of public health and the f**king liar in the White House cannot stop lying. He probably doesn't care if we get sick and die since we didn't vote for him.

Perhaps most concerning has been Trump’s instinct to outright contradict the facts and statements of the government’s top infectious disease experts as his administration has struggled to contain the outbreak. Here are seven of his coronavirus lies.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2020/3/13/21176535/trumps-worst-statements-coronavirus

SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: 3.91

P P
« Reply #253 on: March 13, 2020, 08:57:55 PM »

The public 55-60% will unite behind Trump during this. His approval will be in the 50s all year.
MIKESOWELL
United States

« Reply #254 on: March 13, 2020, 09:00:20 PM »

The public 55-60% will unite behind Trump during this. His approval will be in the 50s all year.
LMAO
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #255 on: March 13, 2020, 09:00:59 PM »

LMAO
Just wait and see. Democrats chances at the election are vanishing by the day. Country doesn't want politics during this which favors the incumbent.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #256 on: March 13, 2020, 09:16:15 PM »

LMAO
Just wait and see. Democrats chances at the election are vanishing by the day. Country doesn't want politics during this which favors the incumbent.
do you wanna bet dude? Trump's approval will go down, not up.
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #257 on: March 13, 2020, 09:42:10 PM »

LMAO
It's already going up. It was down to 46 in Rasmussen now it's back up to 49. It will get into the 50s next week with the ramping up of testing and the deal making today.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #258 on: March 13, 2020, 09:47:40 PM »

'I don't take responsibility at all': Trump deflects blame for coronavirus testing fumble

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/13/trump-coronavirus-testing-128971

Isn't this just made for a political ad?

So he ought to say — “Yes, I take responsibility. Because we were given a — a set of circumstances, and we were given rules, regulations and specifications from a different time. It wasn't meant for this kind of — an event with the kind of numbers that we're talking about.”

?

If he was given rules, regulations and specifications from a different time (enacted long before he took office), then why is he incorrect to say he takes no responsibility?

If Trump has a problem with the "rules, regulations and specifications from a different time", what was he doing in the past three years?

Eating glue?

Literally
yes
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #259 on: March 13, 2020, 10:29:56 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2020, 03:30:21 AM by Meclazine »

LMAO
It's already going up. It was down to 46 in Rasmussen now it's back up to 49. It will get into the 50s next week with the ramping up of testing and the deal making today.

I simple dont know. Do we have any precedent on how Americans react after a pandemic?

What happened after 1918?

Incumbency fatigue is a big factor in US politics, but pandemics in an election year are extremely rare.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #260 on: March 13, 2020, 10:30:48 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2020, 10:40:45 PM by roxas11 »

you are crazy if you think any President is getting a 60 percent approval noways.The era when a president can get that kind of support ended during the George w bush years. Social media and the 24 hour news cycle makes getting that kind of approval all but impossible in this day and age  

also Trump Is hated by way to many people to ever get that kind of support for anything
At best all he could hope to get is 48 or 49 percent like bush did in 04 But in the end none of this will matter since economist are now projecting that the USA and the rest of the world are about to head into a global recession.. Trump own Former Director of the National Economic Council Gary Cohn said that he believes that the US is already in recession right at this very moment

If that turns out to be the case than this virus is the least of Trumps problems. He better hope and pray it turns out to be a very short one because if not he is not going to have a 30 percent approval rating by November 2020 let alone 60 lol
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #261 on: March 14, 2020, 01:29:04 AM »

Getting worse in Oregon...

The tech company direct employees are now required to work remotely, with the exception of "Business Critical" positions....

Meanwhile the remaining 50% of the workers on the site (overwhelmingly contract workers) that work and support the factories still need to show up so we can run the Factories and the Labs...

Absenteeism is running through through the roof of our employees, since not only has it been a bad Flu season in Oregon, especially for folks with kids, but now the s**t seems realer than it has ever been before.

Now there are Mandatory 3' Contact rules, anybody that has left the "Metro Area" is now in a self-quarantine zone for 14 Days.

We are all waiting for the the giant Tech Campus to the shut down for a min of 2 weeks, and potentially much longer.

The only hope we have to avoid being screwed over, is that we have World Class Clean-rooms, and Testing for New Product Launches which have competitive advantage in the Asia-Pacific Market which supports our idled factories in Malaysia & Singapore...

We relocated the Mfg lines from Ireland to Oregon, which ended up much cheaper for the client, although honestly feel like a bit of backstabber shifting some jobs from one my ancestral Nati0ons back to America....  Sad

Still, partied with about (30) Irish Engineers while they shifted our MFG OPS overseas, plus one of them dated my Sister back in the days with some hippy rainbow coat from Dublin and ended up causing some difficulties in the relationship....

Site is now effectively shut down.... we are now waiting to see if critical item such as MFG and Testing Will be shut down...

Regardless the clients get to work remotely, while meanwhile we need to mingle in our worksites despite the OR "State of Emergency"...

All of us contract workers are waiting for a "Mass Furlough", which will likely hit before too long, especially since we have multiple individuals potentially exposed in a small "Tight-Knit" Community in Downstate Oregon...

Everyone is one edge, for the most part keeping calm.

On Wednesday talked to one of the Ladies that works in the Factory who told me that her Male friend got either verbally or physically threatened with a knife in Sweet Home Oregon about the last roll of TP on the shelf....   (Thought she was doing a Sweet Home Joke where there is a little a slip between the pipe and the lip)---- but for real... Former Mill Town with no Mills... cheap living... beatutiful scenery, and tons of folks that lost all hope where sometimes getting a bit of comfort in that tiny glass bowl keeps you running on and on to the next job and the next city down the line helps you survive and carry on another day

Today in the Mid-Valley of Oregon, many items are cleared off of Grocery Shore shelves, for various reasons, but my wife observed a ton of Seniors when she was trying to grab a few items today stuffing the carts with provisions...

Y'all don't get it but West Coast is Ground Zero...

Sure maybe figure out a better way to do it but the s**t is real in WA & OR.... CA likely not behind the line....

Reality is that on the West Coast we are the first hit, so learn the lessons and successes and failures or responses from State and Local Gvts just trying to carry on....

It is heading East and South....

Be prepared....
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #262 on: March 14, 2020, 05:22:22 AM »

Trump tells a nation terrified of coronavirus that none of this is his fault

President Trump held a remarkable press conference Friday afternoon. It began with a parade of corporate CEOs who briefly took the podium to explain efforts their companies would take to improve coronavirus screening. But it quickly progressed into a parade of lies, insults, and buck passing by the president himself.

Trump’s core message: All of this is someone else’s fault.

One of the biggest failures — possibly the single biggest failure — of the United States’ response to coronavirus pandemic is our failure to deploy tests that will allow doctors, patients, and public health officials to determine who is infected. The United States has tested far fewer people per capita than any of its peer nations, and by a wide margin.

At one point, Trump was asked about the admission of Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, that our lag in testing was “a failing.” And he was asked if he takes responsibility for this failure.

Trump’s response: “I don’t take responsibility at all.”

The president claimed that “we were given a set of circumstances and we were given rules and regulations and specifications from a different time,” and this existing legal infrastructure “wasn’t meant for this kind of event with the kind of numbers that we’re talking about.”

It’s an astonishing claim, and it’s astonishing because Trump has spent the better part of his term dismantling the federal government’s pandemic fighting infrastructure.

How Trump made the government less able to respond to a pandemic

In 2005, the US Agency for International Development developed a program to help detect and research infectious diseases that arise in animal populations and eventual jump to humans — it’s likely that coronavirus is such a disease. This program, which was set up in response to the H1N5 bird flu scare, continued through the rest of the Bush administration and through the entire Obama administration.

The Trump administration shut it down last fall.

Trump has also repeatedly proposed budgets — he most recently did so last month — calling for sharp cuts to the Centers for Disease Control and the National Institutes of Health, although Congress resisted such cuts. Former CDC Director Tom Frieden warned that the public health cuts in Trump’s first budget were “unsafe at any level of enactment.”

In 2018, Trump ordered the White House National Security Council’s (NSC) entire global health security arm shut down. And that’s only part of what Trump’s done to hollow out the nation’s public health infrastructure. As Foreign Policy’s Laurie Garrett reports:

[...]

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/13/21179119/trump-not-my-fault-coronavirus-press-conference-public-health
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #263 on: March 14, 2020, 06:14:55 AM »

I have to say I was very worried about Bidens chances a week ago, feeling a lot better now. I think by nov people will be clamouring for a competent, serious president.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #264 on: March 14, 2020, 02:18:30 PM »

So Trump says he was tested for coronavirus but was very vague about when to expect the results.
What's the chance he already knows he's positive but is just trying to hide his illness as long as possible, like most elderly authoritarian leaders?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #265 on: March 14, 2020, 06:54:55 PM »

I have to say I was very worried about Bidens chances a week ago, feeling a lot better now. I think by nov people will be clamouring for a competent, serious president.

He really has gotten his s*** together over these past few weeks. His first primary victory in South Carolina, thirty years in the making, seems to have rejuvenated more than just his campaign.

So Trump says he was tested for coronavirus but was very vague about when to expect the results.
What's the chance he already knows he's positive but is just trying to hide his illness as long as possible, like most elderly authoritarian leaders?

The second I heard that he got tested I knew that the result would be nothing other than negative, regardless of whether that is actually the true result or not. So, your suspicion is very likely.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #266 on: March 14, 2020, 10:46:44 PM »

Hey, Jed Bartlet hid his multiple sclerosis for his entire first term.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #267 on: March 14, 2020, 11:57:22 PM »

He really has gotten his s*** together over these past few weeks. His first primary victory in South Carolina, thirty years in the making, seems to have rejuvenated more than just his campaign.

The second I heard that he got tested I knew that the result would be nothing other than negative, regardless of whether that is actually the true result or not. So, your suspicion is very likely.

Goodness gracious ... so is the guy supposed to get the virus and die? No other option is good for you?

He doesn’t get tested, despite no symptoms? You criticize him for being reckless and dangerous.

He gets tested and his doctors report negative? You suggest it’s a lie / cover-up.

What is he supposed to do then?

Do his job right for once, for starters.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #268 on: March 15, 2020, 12:08:17 AM »
« Edited: March 15, 2020, 06:09:05 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

Goodness gracious ... so is the guy supposed to get the virus and die? No other option is good for you?

He doesn’t get tested, despite no symptoms? You criticize him for being reckless and dangerous.

He gets tested and his doctors report negative? You suggest it’s a lie / cover-up.

You, my friend, are making quite a few assumptions.

I am merely suggesting, if he ended up testing positive for the virus, which he probably didn't, that he would almost definitely be dishonest about it. I would love for him to give me a reason not to be so cynical for once.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #269 on: March 15, 2020, 01:02:36 PM »

JP Morgan projects an imminent recession:

The US economy could shrink by 2% in the first quarter and 3% in the second, JPMorgan projected, while the eurozone economy could contract by 1.8% and 3.3% in the same periods.

...The key to avoiding an even worse hit to global growth lies in countries' policy responses, the bank's economists said: Authorities need to target ailing sectors with stimulus measures, limit financial-market stress, and prop up consumer demand through monetary policy. Any shortfall risks a recession lasting throughout 2020, the firm added.

2020 could end up looking a lot like 2008.
cwt

« Reply #270 on: March 15, 2020, 02:24:26 PM »

He's supposed to not lie about everything all the time. Then maybe people would believe him once in a while.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #271 on: March 15, 2020, 03:27:18 PM »

The US economy could shrink by 2% in the first quarter and 3% in the second, JPMorgan projected, while the eurozone economy could contract by 1.8% and 3.3% in the same periods.

...The key to avoiding an even worse hit to global growth lies in countries' policy responses, the bank's economists said: Authorities need to target ailing sectors with stimulus measures, limit financial-market stress, and prop up consumer demand through monetary policy. Any shortfall risks a recession lasting throughout 2020, the firm added.

If people show up to vote in the first place, which seems increasingly in doubt.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #272 on: March 15, 2020, 04:26:24 PM »

If people show up to vote in the first place, which seems increasingly in doubt.

At this rate, Trump will be lucky if 2020 looks like 1932!
Duke of York

« Reply #273 on: March 15, 2020, 04:44:57 PM »

At this point i am worried there will be record low turnout
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #274 on: March 15, 2020, 06:08:24 PM »

You, my friend, are making quite a few assumptions.

I am merely suggesting, if he ended up testing positive for the virus, which he probably didn't, that he would almost definitely be dishonest about it. I would love for him to give me a reason not to be so cynical for once.

By the way, I'm sorry about the formatting on this one. I posted this from my phone and it reminded me why I so rarely post from there instead of my PC.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies