Coronavirus & 2020
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 03:16:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Coronavirus & 2020
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12
Author Topic: Coronavirus & 2020  (Read 10833 times)
Catholics vs. Convicts
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: March 12, 2020, 04:16:52 PM »

I can't see how its feasible to reschedule the primaries. So unless they are cancelled, I imagine they will continue on schedule. Wonder what that'll do to the turnout of course...
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #226 on: March 12, 2020, 05:12:56 PM »

Man it is something watching SN2903 have this internal struggle were on the one hand he is a massive partisan hack who was all but convinced of a Trump landslide but there is now this little voice inside him telling him that Trump is in trouble thanks to corona. 
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #227 on: March 12, 2020, 05:56:17 PM »

Yes, given the fact all sports are cancelled, most voters are paying attention.  Since that's what is on the news
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #228 on: March 12, 2020, 06:01:24 PM »

It's not. Trump is still gonna be holding his rallies.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #229 on: March 12, 2020, 06:01:29 PM »

Voters aren't just going to ignore that Donald Trump's stupidity, narcissism, and general unfitness is now actually endangering the public.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #230 on: March 12, 2020, 06:39:38 PM »

Voters aren't just going to ignore that Donald Trump's stupidity, narcissism, and general unfitness is now actually endangering the public.

The public has been endangered for the past three years, and the threat from coronavirus is far lesser than Trump's other policies, such as stacking courts, torpedoing TPP, blowing up the budget, tax cuts for billionaire buddies among many others.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #231 on: March 12, 2020, 07:18:54 PM »

Hopefully. If they are so willing to laud him when the economy is good, the flip-side should be the same. Of course, that is contingent on how long the outbreak and its economic impact last. It's definitely possible that this could all end and be forgotten about by November.

Almost certainly though, the 38-45% of this country's voters who gave their pound of flesh to DT Barnum will warp reality to their liking as best as they can, even if they contract the disease from one of his rallies that will still stubbornly be held and attended.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #232 on: March 12, 2020, 07:21:35 PM »

Best-case for him at this point is that him getting credit for the good economy is no longer a factor.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #233 on: March 12, 2020, 07:28:19 PM »

He's President of the United States.  The buck stops with him. 
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #234 on: March 13, 2020, 02:25:00 AM »

Please use this megathread for discussion.

Thank you.
The Simpsons Cinematic Universe
MustCrushCapitalism
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -2.78

« Reply #235 on: March 13, 2020, 02:41:22 AM »

Trump has certainly reacted inadequately, but I have to agree with some of the Trump posters here - fanatical Democrat Biden supporters would criticize Trump for something or another even if the handling was perfect.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #236 on: March 13, 2020, 02:47:48 AM »

Too early to tell....

The large Tech Mfg plant I work at just got rocked by the news that Coronovirus not only hit next door, but additionally that we have multiple workers doing self-quarantine, after having potentially been exposed to friends & relatives that could possibly have tested positive.

If the Factory shuts down workers are furloughed, and unless you are someone in a position to work remotely, even if you have a positive PTO balance, it's extremely unlikely to cover 2 Weeks off work (let alone longer)...

If it stretches longer than two weeks, it's going to be hitting people's paychecks hard...

Unemployment benefits at 65% when you are living paycheck-to-paycheck especially if you don't have a waiting week in line, will put people into homelessness where I live...

Idle the Factory for Four weeks, will even cut into the comfortably "Middle-Class" budgets, not to mention even causing some heartburn for the "Upper Middle-Class" Engineers & Technicians, where working remotely only goes so far....

Don't know and can't predict how this will play out politically, but if we don't get relief on the West Coast, even in heavily Republican Trump Country (Including the County in which I live), the incumbent will likely be blamed regardless of even if the loyalists give him the benefit of the doubt on his initial response....
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #237 on: March 13, 2020, 03:08:27 AM »

Good luck Nova!
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #238 on: March 13, 2020, 06:05:37 AM »

Right now I feel like this may be a situation like back in January where we were at the 'brink of war' with Iran (which I was concerned about, but people we're being too hyperbolic) and people were talking about that impacting the election. Turns out, the situation kinda resolved itself within a couple of weeks. This is probably going to take a few months but I think the recession/election implications are being overblown for it being this early.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #239 on: March 13, 2020, 06:15:55 AM »

This is probably going to take a few months but I think the recession/election implications are being overblown for it being this early.

George HW Bush agrees with you.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #240 on: March 13, 2020, 09:02:55 AM »

The public has been endangered for the past three years, and the threat from coronavirus is far lesser than Trump's other policies, such as stacking courts, torpedoing TPP, blowing up the budget, tax cuts for billionaire buddies among many others.

Quite so. An electoral College majority of the country elected him despite everything screaming in their faces that he was grossly incapable of being president, and assault 45% have stuck by him despite his complete existential threat to basic American democracy and Norms of governments. Basically, for no other reason than they were willing to accept someone stirring things up in Washington, even if it meant he inevitably was sh**ting the bed in the process. And secondly, he simply wasn't a Democrat.

Now though, it's a direct threat of loss of life to perhaps a million people in this country. Something 72 hours ago would have been inconceivable. There's now something more than mere tax cuts and stacking the Judiciary on the table
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #241 on: March 13, 2020, 11:17:12 AM »

This is probably going to take a few months but I think the recession/election implications are being overblown for it being this early.

Yeah...I don't think ElectionsGuy's take is going to age well.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #242 on: March 13, 2020, 11:30:38 AM »

Joe Biden isn’t Bill Clinton

Compared to Trump he is Abraham Lincoln.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #243 on: March 13, 2020, 04:59:24 PM »

If we end up in a situation like Italy, this could impact Trump's re-election chances. What needs to happen is widespread testing and isolation of those who test positive. This protects the economy by not causing entire cities and states being shut down. It also avoids the exponential growth in cases that can overwhelm the medical system.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #244 on: March 13, 2020, 06:18:00 PM »

'I don't take responsibility at all': Trump deflects blame for coronavirus testing fumble

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/13/trump-coronavirus-testing-128971

Isn't this just made for a political ad?
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: 3.91

P P
« Reply #245 on: March 13, 2020, 06:28:36 PM »

Trump did at great job today. Market was up big. If Trump prevents an Italy or Korea he will get big marks from the public and will possibly ensure his re-election
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #246 on: March 13, 2020, 06:46:10 PM »

There is a lot of uncertainty here, but I think that the US will probably as many cases as Italy has now. I'm glad that they are finally ramping up testing. I'm not sure how the public will react.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #247 on: March 13, 2020, 06:54:44 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2020, 06:57:59 PM by pppolitics »

Trump did at great job today. Market was up big. If Trump prevents an Italy or Korea he will get big marks from the public and will possibly ensure his re-election

South Korea tested 10,000 people per day.

In contrast, the US has only tested 11,000 people in total.

Meanwhile, the monkey-in-chief is not taking any responsibility and is blaming Obama.

pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #248 on: March 13, 2020, 07:03:22 PM »

'I don't take responsibility at all': Trump deflects blame for coronavirus testing fumble

So he ought to say — “Yes, I take responsibility. Because we were given a — a set of circumstances, and we were given rules, regulations and specifications from a different time. It wasn't meant for this kind of — an event with the kind of numbers that we're talking about.”

?

If he was given rules, regulations and specifications from a different time (enacted long before he took office), then why is he incorrect to say he takes no responsibility?

If Trump has a problem with the "rules, regulations and specifications from a different time", what was he doing in the past three years?

Eating glue?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #249 on: March 13, 2020, 07:03:54 PM »

So he ought to say — “Yes, I take responsibility. Because we were given a — a set of circumstances, and we were given rules, regulations and specifications from a different time. It wasn't meant for this kind of — an event with the kind of numbers that we're talking about.”

?

If he was given rules, regulations and specifications from a different time (enacted long before he took office), then why is he incorrect to say he takes no responsibility?

He wasn't responsible for Wall Street's gains but he took credit anyway. That works both ways.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies