Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread v3 (pg 45 - mass-dropout aftermath)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 03:21:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread v3 (pg 45 - mass-dropout aftermath)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 58
Author Topic: Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread v3 (pg 45 - mass-dropout aftermath)  (Read 93302 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #850 on: February 12, 2020, 06:37:34 AM »

This thread should be renamed to "Joe Byeden 2020 campaign megathread v3"
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #851 on: February 12, 2020, 09:30:12 AM »

Anyone who thinks Joe Biden campaign is NOT dead is a lying, dog-faced pony soldier.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #852 on: February 12, 2020, 10:26:13 AM »

This thread should be renamed to "Joe Byeden 2020 campaign megathread v3"

'Byeden'?
redjohn
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #853 on: February 12, 2020, 11:10:29 AM »

I'm actually very surprised he performed so horribly. I expected a bit of a bounce from last-minute efforts after IA, but jesus christ, 8%?

I thought there was a chance he could come in second here for a while. Fifth place is ridiculous for the supposedly strong candidate in the race. These first two contests have taken all the wind out of Biden's campaign. He needs to win NV. If he loses NV, his campaign is going to seriously consider ending.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #854 on: February 12, 2020, 12:45:10 PM »

This is a change election and voters want new leadership, even in a boom economy,  Trump can lose in a wave due to working poor and underemployed among females and minorities,  not making same as white male enterpreneurs. Something that right wing media doesn't understand

Biden was never popular as Veep
Decay
Rookie
« Reply #855 on: February 12, 2020, 01:05:49 PM »

Yep.  Biden is over.  Totally incompetent execution.  These are embarrassing results for a campaign that's supposed to be run by some of the best in the biz, and I would never trust a campaign that executes like this to beat Trump.

It's a shame, Biden is a really great guy and would have been a good president.  He has by far the most complete resume and best track record of success in the race, represents a diverse and winning coalition, and holds positions that Democrats can run on and win.  He's been treated like absolute dogsh*t by everyone this campaign, especially the media, and persevered for a year only to implode because the folks running his campaign couldn't drive turnout in Iowa and New Hampshire.

Bloomberg, Buttigieg, and Klobuchar are all good choices for the nominee, in that order IMO.  I'm on board Bloomberg 2020 at this point.

This is so demonstrably untrue on every level; Biden has no track record of electoral success and he clearly does not represent any kind of coalition, let alone a "winning" one. The media has treated him with kid's gloves this entire cycle, as have his fellow candidates (with the notable exception of Harris). The fault here is not with the campaign. It is with the candidate. And the fact that you don't understand that even now does not bode well for your prognostications of "electability" in the future. Biden was an embarrassment from the get-go.

But imagine thinking that the people working for the Biden campaign are "some of the best in the biz".  It was obvious that Biden was a trainwreck and a weak candidate whose "support" was a house of cards. The only question was whether the collapse would come before or after the voting started. To sign up for a campaign like Biden's indicates a complete and utter lack of political instinct. It's why these people still can't accept that Bernie Sanders has a very good chance of winning in a general election. No political instincts whatsoever.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #856 on: February 12, 2020, 02:18:23 PM »

Yep.  Biden is over.  Totally incompetent execution.  These are embarrassing results for a campaign that's supposed to be run by some of the best in the biz, and I would never trust a campaign that executes like this to beat Trump.

It's a shame, Biden is a really great guy and would have been a good president.  He has by far the most complete resume and best track record of success in the race, represents a diverse and winning coalition, and holds positions that Democrats can run on and win.  He's been treated like absolute dogsh*t by everyone this campaign, especially the media, and persevered for a year only to implode because the folks running his campaign couldn't drive turnout in Iowa and New Hampshire.

Bloomberg, Buttigieg, and Klobuchar are all good choices for the nominee, in that order IMO.  I'm on board Bloomberg 2020 at this point.

This almost nails my thoughts as well.

Starts looking like Joe Biden is done or close to it. I didn't expect him to win Iowa and New Hampshire to begin with, but these results are beyond embarrassing for a former vice president, who served two terms under an incredibly popular president, until just three years ago. Maybe it's just about time to accept defeat. I thought he ran great ads, but it seems his groundgame an utter disaster and his performance on the trail underwhelming. Certainly not as good as 2008 and 2012. It's really sad, because he would be a spectular president who can get things done and restore international relations. Aside from the fact that he's a fine person with the right moral compass to be head of state. It's too sad, Uncle Joe, but I will always be a big fan of yours. Th best vice president in history.

As things now stand, I'll be rooting for Mike Bloomberg. He's not just extremely qualified for the job, he's the kind of pragmatic problem solver that is needed to fix things after Trump. He also runs a strong campaign operation and, to be honest, makes a more vital impression than Joe Biden. Mayor Pete is also someone who I like a lot, but I doubt he's getting nomination due to a lack of minority support. He'd be a great cabinet member.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #857 on: February 12, 2020, 02:51:22 PM »

Starts looking like Joe Biden is done or close to it. I didn't expect him to win Iowa and New Hampshire to begin with, but these results are beyond embarrassing for a former vice president, who served two terms under an incredibly popular president, until just three years ago. Maybe it's just about time to accept defeat. I thought he ran great ads, but it seems his groundgame an utter disaster and his performance on the trail underwhelming. Certainly not as good as 2008 and 2012. It's really sad, because he would be a spectular president who can get things done and restore international relations. Aside from the fact that he's a fine person with the right moral compass to be head of state. It's too sad, Uncle Joe, but I will always be a big fan of yours. Th best vice president in history.

As things now stand, I'll be rooting for Mike Bloomberg. He's not just extremely qualified for the job, he's the kind of pragmatic problem solver that is needed to fix things after Trump. He also runs a strong campaign operation and, to be honest, makes a more vital impression than Joe Biden. Mayor Pete is also someone who I like a lot, but I doubt he's getting nomination due to a lack of minority support. He'd be a great cabinet member.

Bloomberg can't win the nomination (despite trying to bribe his way to victory). Unite around the most electable and plausible center left alternative, Mayor Pete Buttigieg.
cvparty
United States

« Reply #858 on: February 12, 2020, 03:01:11 PM »

Bloomberg can't win the nomination (despite trying to bribe his way to victory). Unite around the most electable and plausible center left alternative, Mayor Pete Buttigieg.
i would much prefer buttigieg out of the three to be the "moderate" (klobuchar is OK too but she has even worse minority support than buttigieg), but everyone's egos are too big to drop out and coalesce around one candidate...a boon to sanders
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #859 on: February 12, 2020, 03:11:56 PM »

Biden was always going to do poorly in Iowa, but his collapse in NH is a bit alarming. I would not be surprised if some polls coming out of SC would show an erosion of his support to someone like Steyer, who has made inroad with the AA community.

The calendar is brutal for Biden. Imagine if South Carolina was in any position earlier in the caldenar than 4th.

Everyone keeps repeating this, but the sad truth is that the Biden campaign laid their bed in this regard. Everyone knows that minorities have powerful influence on the Dem primary, campaigns can easily wait for Nevada or South Carolina to start building momentum considering the makeup of Super Tuesday. Regardless of how high Biden polled, he could have kept up the appearance that Nevada and South Carolina were where he was focusing, and would always get the lions share of attention. But...he couldn't. His campaign put more resources than were necessary in the white states and clearly made  pays for delegates. If Biden got 12% in both states but had successfully managed expectations, these states could be the buildup to a crescendo in the diverse contests, rather than a decline towards a firewall that may be collapsing.

But he had no choice. My neck as the presumptive, and for most of the race literal, front runner with a national profile, and one who is campaign on the theme of Crossing the aisle and bringing together all sides progressives, moderates, Etc, and above all the candidate with the best chance of taking Trump on toe to toe and nationally and beating him, simply could not forward to then just skip the two earliest and most important State races. It would have undermined the very basis of his campaign, and probably gone about as well as giuliani's Florida first strategy.

He simply did not have the luxury of a Bloomberg style candidacy I'm saying hey, sorry we got in too late for the first four races, we'll see you on super Tuesday and the other races composing 96% of the delegate race.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #860 on: February 12, 2020, 03:17:29 PM »

One group of people that are probably really angry now are all the candidates that got no traction because Biden was there, people like Cory Booker, its kind of funny how Biden arguably blocked stronger candidates from gaining any ground only to basically collapse at the end himself.
Kamala Harris should still be in this race. It's disgusting.

I think she was hobbled by a loss of steam and a crummy campaign but yes she should absolutely still be in.

Why? She was an awful campaigner. Far worse than Biden even.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #861 on: February 12, 2020, 03:25:41 PM »

Yep.  Biden is over.  Totally incompetent execution.  These are embarrassing results for a campaign that's supposed to be run by some of the best in the biz, and I would never trust a campaign that executes like this to beat Trump.

It's a shame, Biden is a really great guy and would have been a good president.  He has by far the most complete resume and best track record of success in the race, represents a diverse and winning coalition, and holds positions that Democrats can run on and win.  He's been treated like absolute dogsh*t by everyone this campaign, especially the media, and persevered for a year only to implode because the folks running his campaign couldn't drive turnout in Iowa and New Hampshire.

Bloomberg, Buttigieg, and Klobuchar are all good choices for the nominee, in that order IMO.  I'm on board Bloomberg 2020 at this point.

I like Pete and will gladly campaign for him in November if he's the nominee.

But I'm sorry, we are already facing what will be a close race thanks to the economy being a good shape ( thanks again, Obama) and the Electoral College. I simply do not believe that America is ready to elect an openly gay man president in 2020. It's not right, but it's fact. At any rate, it is far too likely a risk. And that risk is certainly augmented by the fact that said candidate's prior experience in Government consists being mayor of a town of hundred thousand people oh, notwithstanding his impressive Military Intelligence background.

So no, buttigieg is not the most electable center-left alternative. He is frankly probably the least electable of any of the major candidates, and head to head polls with Trump have consistently shown that. Whether because he's gay, uniquely inexperienced compared to any modern-day nominee other than Trump himself, or the man has simply shown minimal appeal to voters of color, any or All the above. He's just not a good candidate for November

EDIT: Klobuchar /Buttigieg 2020
win win
dxu8888

« Reply #862 on: February 12, 2020, 11:55:00 PM »

Is he? We haven't really heard from Black voters yet
redjohn
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #863 on: February 12, 2020, 11:56:04 PM »

His lead there is very much in jeopardy, but I think he's still a slight favorite at the moment.
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #864 on: February 13, 2020, 12:32:57 AM »

Uncle Joe may never win a single primary or caucus despite having run for President 4 times over a time-span of fully 36 years. But he will always be the favorite in our hearts. So yes, he is the favorite in that sense, and in the end isn't that the sense that matters?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #865 on: February 13, 2020, 12:34:28 AM »

Don’t know, maybe.

But it’s good to see that NV and SC are voting on a Saturday.

We Europeans will get results for breakfast on Sunday.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #866 on: February 13, 2020, 03:53:41 AM »

atheist4thecause
United States

« Reply #867 on: February 13, 2020, 04:44:54 AM »

One group of people that are probably really angry now are all the candidates that got no traction because Biden was there, people like Cory Booker, its kind of funny how Biden arguably blocked stronger candidates from gaining any ground only to basically collapse at the end himself.
Kamala Harris should still be in this race. It's disgusting.

I think she was hobbled by a loss of steam and a crummy campaign but yes she should absolutely still be in.

Why? She was an awful campaigner. Far worse than Biden even.

Not only that, Kamala put her sister in charge of her campaign. Her sister was incompetent. That campaign was run horribly. Kamala didn't have the Presidential fortitude to fire her sister. That's why Kamala isn't in this race.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #868 on: February 13, 2020, 06:21:55 AM »

I miss the days (like 2 weeks ago?) when my #2 pick was still my #1 pick's main foe. Cry
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #869 on: February 13, 2020, 10:11:26 AM »

Biden on phone call: 'I'll be damned if we're gonna lose this nomination'

"The point is that, I want you to know [is] that things haven't changed in terms of responses we're getting, in terms of whether it's contributions online or whether it's endorsements since both of those primaries have taken place," he said.

Biden said he has raised more than $4 million online in the first 11 days of this month, including $453,000 online on Tuesday.

"So my point is that we've not seen any diminution in the energy or in endorsements," he added.

Biden said he made clear to attendees at his South Carolina event Tuesday, which he left New Hampshire to attend, that the race "is just beginning and we're not anywhere near the end."

"I'll be damned if we're gonna lose this nomination, particularly if we're gonna lose this nomination and end up losing an election to Donald Trump," Biden said on the call
, adding that he's "not sugarcoating" his chances and that he "feels really good."

"Obviously I'd have rather won both, don't get me wrong," Biden said of his performance in the first two nominating states.

Biden pointed to Bill Clinton's early losses in the 1992 primary before he went on to win the Democratic nomination.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #870 on: February 13, 2020, 10:23:04 AM »

Biden on phone call: 'I'll be damned if we're gonna lose this nomination'

"The point is that, I want you to know [is] that things haven't changed in terms of responses we're getting, in terms of whether it's contributions online or whether it's endorsements since both of those primaries have taken place," he said.

Biden said he has raised more than $4 million online in the first 11 days of this month, including $453,000 online on Tuesday.

"So my point is that we've not seen any diminution in the energy or in endorsements," he added.

Biden said he made clear to attendees at his South Carolina event Tuesday, which he left New Hampshire to attend, that the race "is just beginning and we're not anywhere near the end."

"I'll be damned if we're gonna lose this nomination, particularly if we're gonna lose this nomination and end up losing an election to Donald Trump," Biden said on the call
, adding that he's "not sugarcoating" his chances and that he "feels really good."

"Obviously I'd have rather won both, don't get me wrong," Biden said of his performance in the first two nominating states.

Biden pointed to Bill Clinton's early losses in the 1992 primary before he went on to win the Democratic nomination.

Seems like Joe finally realizes that it's time to stop pussyfooting around, wake the f**k up, & get out there & convince the people why he's the answer; to exude that cool confidence & create some excitement, get those surrogates campaigning for him, shake the money tree, & do it, because it's go time! (And if he could stop appearing as if he's insulting voters, that'd help a little bit as well.)
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #871 on: February 13, 2020, 11:26:31 AM »

Biden has his eyes set on Florida:

Forget about New Hampshire. Joe Biden wants to talk about Florida.

Following a fifth-place finish in Tuesday’s New Hampshire primary, the former vice president’s campaign moved quickly Wednesday to announce the launch of several grassroots coalitions in Florida — a state where he leads in the polls thanks in large part to his standing with Hispanic and black voters.

“We’ve already had a [get-out-the-vote] phone bank. We’re chasing mail ballots. We have a Jewish surrogate call set up for next week,” she said. “This will be active and led by community members, and build upon our work here in the state.”

Biden’s coalition rollout comes as more than 1 million ballots are landing in mailboxes across the state, creating an extended primary election that tends to benefit campaigns with a large, organized presence and the ability to chase votes weeks before Election Day.

redjohn
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #872 on: February 13, 2020, 12:03:54 PM »

Nobody cares about Biden's surrogates. Everyone knows he is an establishment figure; he's THE establishment figure, so I don't think surrogates really reinforce that message in a helpful way. He had great endorsements in IA and still did horribly. Same with NH.

It's Biden who needs to campaign better. He needs to figure out how to campaign better in the next week or it's 100% over.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #873 on: February 13, 2020, 12:29:44 PM »

Biden needs a top-two finish. If he's behind Steyer, then Steyer could knock off enough black support in SC to set up Bloomberg for a Super Tuesday coup.
redjohn
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #874 on: February 13, 2020, 01:25:14 PM »

Biden needs a win in NV. With how poorly he performed in IA and NH and his national collapse in polling, a second-place finish to Bernie isn't enough. He needs something to put energy back in his campaign, and a second-place finish won't do that.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 58  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies