Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread v2 (pg 77 - declares victory in Iowa)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:49:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread v2 (pg 77 - declares victory in Iowa)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 91
Author Topic: Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread v2 (pg 77 - declares victory in Iowa)  (Read 129118 times)
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: September 27, 2019, 12:00:13 PM »

But it was Hillary and her voters who acted entitled.
Amirite?

Wow. By her logic, it’s “his turn”. Which was the fundamental idea that Bernie got into the 2016 race to dispute. 

That’s an almost comical lack of self awareness

Could also be irony. Just a thought.

It could be, but it's a full thread, and she's replying pretty forcefully to anyone who questions her, repeating the same talking point. Either she's trolling, or she's dead serious. I should clarify, that I'm just amused by the irony of her statement. My original post is worded too harshly in hindsight.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #126 on: September 27, 2019, 06:50:36 PM »

Before it gets tossed about further in this thread:

Communism is not merely the elimination of '"duh billionayhs", nor even of the bourgeoisie (a rather more specific thing) but is rather the abolition of Capital , a social relation perpetuated by the value form inherent in production for exchange (contra use); the class struggle is really a struggle against the logic of the capitalist mode of production, which reproduces the bourgeoisie almost as an afterthought (and who are non-essential to its function). Communis manifests as a movement of the working-class, completely outside of the bourgeois Democratic process.

A wealth tax which redistributes wealth perpetuates wealth, and would redistribute it simply to create a bunch of little embryonic capitalists. Accordingly, a wealth tax is a capitalist project. There is infinitely more of Huey Long than of Karl Marx in this, because there is no Marx in it at all. And there is more of Communism in a worker taking a five minute longer break than is permitted than in this policy.

Good. Huey Long did far more good for the American worker than Karl Marx.

... Which isn't saying much.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #127 on: September 27, 2019, 10:53:55 PM »

Amirite?

Wrong, stupid, and entitled BS. Speaking of wrong and stupid BS,

The establishment's official propaganda arm is back on their bullmess, apparently saying that people who support Bernie over Warren must be sexist.

I don't think I need to explain the problem with this. Just another example of vile anti-Bernie bias from MSNBC.
Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #128 on: September 28, 2019, 09:01:39 AM »

-snip- Speaking of wrong and stupid BS,

The establishment's official propaganda arm is back on their bullmess, apparently saying that people who support Bernie over Warren must be sexist.

I don't think I need to explain the problem with this. Just another example of vile anti-Bernie bias from MSNBC.

It would be so easy for us to accuse anyone smearing Sanders of antisemitism. I'm glad we're better than that. It's a shame that so many supporters of other candidates are this craven.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #129 on: September 28, 2019, 10:56:01 AM »

Amirite?

Wrong, stupid, and entitled BS. Speaking of wrong and stupid BS,

I would hope that even people who aren’t personally fond of Sanders could agree that this woman’s analysis is beyond awful, but I’d probably be hoping in vain. She’s not helping Warren at all by saying that.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #130 on: September 28, 2019, 11:30:40 AM »

I would hope that even people who aren’t personally fond of Sanders could agree that this woman’s analysis is beyond awful, but I’d probably be hoping in vain. She’s not helping Warren at all by saying that.

I agree.  This kind of analysis is snarky and dumb, and it's especially irritating because it gives Sanders supporters an outlier to point to and claim it's representative of the entire media.

I mean this is just one contributor.  This isn't MSNBC's point of view.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #131 on: September 28, 2019, 02:55:54 PM »

Glad I don't watch cable news. Every Warren supporter I've seen has easily denounced this.

Old Man Willow
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #132 on: September 28, 2019, 04:55:15 PM »

I thought that Biden's "let's work with Republicans" was the dumbest thing a candidate has said this cycle until I watched Bernie's interview with Joe Rogan. He claims if the Republicans try to block his proposals he'll hold anti-McConnell rallies in KY. LOL
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #133 on: September 28, 2019, 04:58:28 PM »

I thought that Biden's "let's work with Republicans" was the dumbest thing a candidate has said this cycle until I watched Bernie's interview with Joe Rogan. He claims if the Republicans try to block his proposals he'll hold anti-McConnell rallies in KY. LOL

He says the same thing four years now every time he is asked what he'll do when Republicans block his legislative agenda. This and his refusal to abolish the filibuster show to me that he is not serious about passing any meaningful progressive legislation.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #134 on: September 28, 2019, 05:01:45 PM »

I agree.  This kind of analysis is snarky and dumb, and it's especially irritating because it gives Sanders supporters an outlier to point to and claim it's representative of the entire media.

With the amount of sheer slander (Mimi Rocah's comments still are everpresent) that's gone unchecked, I have to disagree. Zerlina Maxwell quite literally fabricates stories to support a narrative about Bernie being the candidate of the white males. While not as bad as the other two, she goes unchecked and keeps her job. Once is a mistake. Twice is a pattern. Three times is a trend. MSNBC has a trend of biased coverage against Bernie Sanders, because Bernie Sanders is firmly outside the "establishment" that they cater to.

This is much worse than the Rocah comments. What she said was horrible, but I get the sentiment - she'd rather trust a woman to deal with women's issues than a man. I think we're all in agreement that this is a cynical exploitation of sexism, and that **** like what Emily Tisch said is why people are skeptical of the cause.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #135 on: September 28, 2019, 05:07:45 PM »
« Edited: September 28, 2019, 05:15:11 PM by GeneralMacArthur »

With the amount of sheer slander (Mimi Rocah's comments still are everpresent) that's gone unchecked, I have to disagree. Zerlina Maxwell quite literally fabricates stories to support a narrative about Bernie being the candidate of the white males. While not as bad as the other two, she goes unchecked and keeps her job. Once is a mistake. Twice is a pattern. Three times is a trend. MSNBC has a trend of biased coverage against Bernie Sanders, because Bernie Sanders is firmly outside the "establishment" that they cater to.

This is much worse than the Rocah comments. What she said was horrible, but I get the sentiment - she'd rather trust a woman to deal with women's issues than a man. I think we're all in agreement that this is a cynical exploitation of sexism, and that **** like what Emily Tisch said is why people are skeptical of the cause.

This talking head lady's name is Emily Sussman.  She only has 5000 Twitter followers.  She's just some rando MSNBC has on to fill airtime.  This isn't the scandal of the century.

By the way if you want to see Bernie Bros in action go look at the replies to all her tweets since this clip went viral.  Congratulations, guys, you probably made her cry.  Only Bernie's campaign does this.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #136 on: September 28, 2019, 05:20:09 PM »

This talking head lady's name is Emily Sussman.  She only has 5000 Twitter followers.  She's just some rando MSNBC has on to fill airtime.  This isn't the scandal of the century.

By the way if you want to see Bernie Bros in action go look at the replies to all her tweets since this clip went viral.  Congratulations, guys, you probably made her cry.  Only Bernie's campaign does this.

Tisch, Sussman, whatever. Both sides of her family are rich and she still got given a platform to spew her bullmess to millions of people.

Speaking of bullmess that hurts women...
Vittorio
« Reply #137 on: September 28, 2019, 09:06:53 PM »

Before it gets tossed about further in this thread:

Communism is not merely the elimination of '"duh billionayhs", nor even of the bourgeoisie (a rather more specific thing) but is rather the abolition of Capital , a social relation perpetuated by the value form inherent in production for exchange (contra use); the class struggle is really a struggle against the logic of the capitalist mode of production, which reproduces the bourgeoisie almost as an afterthought (and who are non-essential to its function). Communis manifests as a movement of the working-class, completely outside of the bourgeois Democratic process.

A wealth tax which redistributes wealth perpetuates wealth, and would redistribute it simply to create a bunch of little embryonic capitalists. Accordingly, a wealth tax is a capitalist project. There is infinitely more of Huey Long than of Karl Marx in this, because there is no Marx in it at all. And there is more of Communism in a worker taking a five minute longer break than is permitted than in this policy.

Good. Huey Long did far more good for the American worker than Karl Marx.

1. Long did nothing "for the American worker".
2. Marx doesn't claim he or anyone else will do anything "for the workers", but that the workers will eventually take their own destiny in hand by kicking down the rotting edifice of capitalism.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #138 on: September 28, 2019, 09:25:12 PM »

At what point does one's net worth become immoral? It seems we've established it's higher than $2,000,000 but lower than $1,000,000,000.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #139 on: September 28, 2019, 09:52:24 PM »

At what point does one's net worth become immoral? It seems we've established it's higher than $2,000,000 but lower than $1,000,000,000.

Wealth in the form of unearned capital is immoral, and getting more than 2 million dollars is typically associated with starting to accrue large amounts of that, yes.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #140 on: September 29, 2019, 02:33:44 AM »
« Edited: September 29, 2019, 02:37:10 AM by Landslide Lyndon »

Wealth in the form of unearned capital is immoral, and getting more than 2 million dollars is typically associated with starting to accrue large amounts of that, yes.

So if someone wins more than 2 million in the lottery that makes him immoral?
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #141 on: September 29, 2019, 08:46:34 AM »

It's probably smart if you don't listen to whatever nonsense spews from the mouths of any candidate's supporters in the media or on social media. They don't speak for the candidate or the candidate's other supporters. The only person that matters is the candidate and, to an extent, their immediate staff.

Sanders and Warren have both run great campaigns so far and progressive voters should be proud of whichever one emerges as the front runner and, hopefully, the Democratic candidate against Trump.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #142 on: September 29, 2019, 10:39:13 AM »

Why do we care about randos’ dumb hot takes on cable news/ Twitter/ what have you? I can find randos’ dumb hot takes of any persuasion without looking too hard. They’re kind of a dime a dozen.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #143 on: September 29, 2019, 12:44:16 PM »

Why do we care about randos’ dumb hot takes on cable news/ Twitter/ what have you? I can find randos’ dumb hot takes of any persuasion without looking too hard. They’re kind of a dime a dozen.

Random intern-tier contributor with 5000 Twitter followers = representative of the entire media complex and Democratic establishment.

Speech+tweet writer (Sirota) and national press secretary (Brie) for the Sanders campaign = not representative of Sanders or his views at all!
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #144 on: September 29, 2019, 03:32:43 PM »

Random intern-tier contributor with 5000 Twitter followers = representative of the entire media complex and Democratic establishment.

Speech+tweet writer (Sirota) and national press secretary (Brie) for the Sanders campaign = not representative of Sanders or his views at all!

It's not just some random contributor. MSNBC has been trying to push this Bernie is sexist thing for a while now.

GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #145 on: September 29, 2019, 04:22:05 PM »

It's not just some random contributor. MSNBC has been trying to push this Bernie is sexist thing for a while now.

You had to go all the way back to when Harvey Weinstein was respected to find another example?

Also again MSNBC has thousands of guests who are generally empowered to voice their own unscripted opinions.  You're going to get guests saying virtually anything.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #146 on: September 29, 2019, 04:55:14 PM »

Can a Bernie supporter please explain the federal jobs guarantee to me? It sounds like a genuinely awful proposal.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #147 on: September 29, 2019, 04:59:40 PM »

Can a Bernie supporter please explain the federal jobs guarantee to me? It sounds like a genuinely awful proposal.
No job? Job sucks? You can get a job with the federal government for $15/hour with healthcare benefits. Not sure what other details you're looking for.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #148 on: September 29, 2019, 05:36:29 PM »

No job? Job sucks? You can get a job with the federal government for $15/hour with healthcare benefits. Not sure what other details you're looking for.

What will I be doing at this job? Is it a worthy investment of taxpayer dollars? What skills are required? Why would anyone continue to work for under $15 anywhere else if they can just work for the government and make that amount? Where will these jobs be located? What if I don't like my new government job?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #149 on: September 29, 2019, 06:10:29 PM »

What will I be doing at this job? Is it a worthy investment of taxpayer dollars? What skills are required? Why would anyone continue to work for under $15 anywhere else if they can just work for the government and make that amount? Where will these jobs be located? What if I don't like my new government job?

1. Who knows. There'll probably be lots of options, just as there are lots of types of federal jobs now.

2. Why wouldn't it be? It's people being employed, that's money being circulated back into the economy. Oh, wait you're one of those "supply-side" people aren't you?

3. Some people just hate gummint that much..

4. See 1. But I imagine wherever infrastructure needs serious upgrades would be a good start.

5. What, you can't just quit like any other job?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 91  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies