Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread v2
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2024, 05:45:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread v2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 78
Author Topic: Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread v2  (Read 107670 times)
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1300 on: September 23, 2019, 08:29:52 AM »

Yes.

I’ll point this out also:

Scott Adams's descent from astute observer of corporate culture to raging "inDUHvidual" has been depressing to watch.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1301 on: September 23, 2019, 09:14:51 AM »

I want to know how the hell hunter biden landed a job as an energy consultant getting paid 50k A MONTH with zero background in the field.

This - along with much of the rest of Hunter Biden's career -  is the part that will actually hurt in the general. The GOP would have brought it up anyway, all that's unique about this situation is that they're trying to use it to distract from Trump's latest and possibly most obviously despicable round of lawbreaking.

What I don't think Biden or the Dem leadership sees is that whether or not what VP Biden and his son have done was technically legal or not doesn't matter. The optics are terrible. And its being seen by Democratic voters who care about this sort of thing, unlike the Republican cultists (who would vote Satan/Hitler(R) over Christ/Lincoln (D)).

It's a part of what let Trump get within spitting distance in 2016 to begin with. The current Democratic leadership/establishment has made the legal corruption such a fully integrated part of how they do business that I really don't think they can wrap their brains around how bad it looks to the general public.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1302 on: September 23, 2019, 10:11:21 AM »

I want to know how the hell hunter biden landed a job as an energy consultant getting paid 50k A MONTH with zero background in the field.

This - along with much of the rest of Hunter Biden's career -  is the part that will actually hurt in the general. The GOP would have brought it up anyway, all that's unique about this situation is that they're trying to use it to distract from Trump's latest and possibly most obviously despicable round of lawbreaking.

What I don't think Biden or the Dem leadership sees is that whether or not what VP Biden and his son have done was technically legal or not doesn't matter. The optics are terrible. And its being seen by Democratic voters who care about this sort of thing, unlike the Republican cultists (who would vote Satan/Hitler(R) over Christ/Lincoln (D)).

It's a part of what let Trump get within spitting distance in 2016 to begin with. The current Democratic leadership/establishment has made the legal corruption such a fully integrated part of how they do business that I really don't think they can wrap their brains around how bad it looks to the general public.

He's a partner at a law firm.  $50K a month is pretty low for that kind of pedigree.

He was hired by the company as a consultant working on behalf of his law firm.  So legal stuff, don't need a background in energy for that.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #1303 on: September 23, 2019, 10:39:22 AM »

Biden is damaged goods now, despite the fact, he tried to quash this story. It is fair game to see it the Trump perspective, if Biden can bring up Russia, Trump can bring up Ukraine

2016, taught us, as a weak nominee, if Trump has a scandal on his opponent, he can still win it
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1304 on: September 23, 2019, 10:45:36 AM »

It's a part of what let Trump get within spitting distance in 2016 to begin with.

Yep. Hunter Biden isn't going to hurt Joe Biden's chances in the primary, but I expect we'll be hearing a lot more about him if he wins the general. Trump would have found something to practice his expert whataboutism anyway, but Hunter Biden seems like he could be particularly powerful ammunition. From the New Yorker:

Donald J. Trump and some of his allies, in their eagerness to undermine Biden’s candidacy, and possibly to deflect attention from their own ethical lapses, have gone to extreme lengths, promoting, without evidence, the dubious narrative that Biden used the office of the Vice-President to advance and protect his son’s interests. At the same time, the gossip pages have seized on Hunter’s tumultuous private life. He has struggled for decades with alcohol addiction and drug abuse; he went through an acrimonious divorce from his first wife, Kathleen Buhle Biden; and he had a subsequent relationship with Beau’s widow, Hallie. He was recently sued for child support by an Arkansas woman, Lunden Alexis Roberts, who claims that he is the father of her child. (Hunter has denied having sexual relations with Roberts.)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1305 on: September 23, 2019, 10:46:13 AM »

There is no evidence, but still, something corrupt has happened. Benghazi was thought to have no legs, until Hilary got to GE, and Trump unleashed on her. Trump can make a scandal into something against his opponent
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1306 on: September 23, 2019, 10:53:03 AM »

As Dems, we shouldn't think like that, we should nominate Warren, whom is scandal free. Biden is another Establishment candidate, like Hilary, who is connected to Wallstreet, go Warren
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1307 on: September 23, 2019, 11:57:25 AM »

It's a part of what let Trump get within spitting distance in 2016 to begin with.

Yep. Hunter Biden isn't going to hurt Joe Biden's chances in the primary, but I expect we'll be hearing a lot more about him if he wins the general. Trump would have found something to practice his expert whataboutism anyway, but Hunter Biden seems like he could be particularly powerful ammunition. From the New Yorker:

Donald J. Trump and some of his allies, in their eagerness to undermine Biden’s candidacy, and possibly to deflect attention from their own ethical lapses, have gone to extreme lengths, promoting, without evidence, the dubious narrative that Biden used the office of the Vice-President to advance and protect his son’s interests. At the same time, the gossip pages have seized on Hunter’s tumultuous private life. He has struggled for decades with alcohol addiction and drug abuse; he went through an acrimonious divorce from his first wife, Kathleen Buhle Biden; and he had a subsequent relationship with Beau’s widow, Hallie. He was recently sued for child support by an Arkansas woman, Lunden Alexis Roberts, who claims that he is the father of her child. (Hunter has denied having sexual relations with Roberts.)

Are we reading the same article? Nothing in there is anywhere near as damaging to Biden that is in any way comparable to the email drama
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1308 on: September 23, 2019, 01:04:33 PM »

His son's personal life doesn't matter.  That has nothing to do with Joe.  Billy Carter and the Clinton-Rodham siblings were much worse and didn't impact the election.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1309 on: September 23, 2019, 01:05:12 PM »

There is no evidence, but still, something corrupt has happened. Benghazi was thought to have no legs, until Hilary got to GE, and Trump unleashed on her. Trump can make a scandal into something against his opponent

I refuse to believe that a single person, who would have otherwise voted for Clinton, voted for Trump instead because of Benghazi.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1310 on: September 23, 2019, 01:34:25 PM »

Biden is damaged goods now, despite the fact, he tried to quash this story. It is fair game to see it the Trump perspective, if Biden can bring up Russia, Trump can bring up Ukraine

2016, taught us, as a weak nominee, if Trump has a scandal on his opponent, he can still win it

What kind of horse**** are you spewing here?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1311 on: September 23, 2019, 01:35:55 PM »

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1312 on: September 23, 2019, 02:17:05 PM »
« Edited: September 23, 2019, 02:20:37 PM by Cory Booker »

Yet, again, we have another scandal from Obama.  Hilary lost due to Jill Stein and Gary Johnson, that could of flipped from Clinton to 3rd party, not because Dems voted for Trump. Or didnt come out due to Clinton sewing up election, early. Remember Clinton went dark in Aug in Pa, in 2016, due to her thinking election was over. That angered indies
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1313 on: September 23, 2019, 03:20:34 PM »

His son's personal life doesn't matter.  That has nothing to do with Joe.  Billy Carter and the Clinton-Rodham siblings were much worse and didn't impact the election.

Joe got the prosecutor fired, so it's absolutely about Joe.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #1314 on: September 23, 2019, 04:17:51 PM »

Hillary's Biden's emails Ukraine scandal is clearly a massive issue! This is totally legitimate! Lock her him up!
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1315 on: September 23, 2019, 04:59:30 PM »

French Republican likes to compare elections. He talks about 2018 with Warren but fails to talk about 2012; as a resilt, Warren defeated Romney's protege, Scott Brown. Warren can beat Biden, she has the will power to do it
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1316 on: September 23, 2019, 07:05:53 PM »

This is quite frankly the best thing Biden could have hoped for to soak up media attention while Warren was starting to surge
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1317 on: September 23, 2019, 07:11:57 PM »

Why am I getting this feeling that the whole Biden-Ukraine thing is going to be (from an analogous standpoint) Hillary's e-mails all over again?
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1318 on: September 23, 2019, 07:14:43 PM »

Why am I getting this feeling that the whole Biden-Ukraine thing is going to be (from an analogous standpoint) Hillary's e-mails all over again?

It won’t because Trump already screwed up the chance to make that the narrative
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1319 on: September 23, 2019, 07:16:10 PM »

If in a month, the media are still covering this as a "What will this do to Biden?!" type of story, it will be the 2020 version of Hillary's e-mails.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1320 on: September 23, 2019, 07:17:38 PM »

If in a month, the media are still covering this as a "What will this do to Biden?!" type of story, it will be the 2020 version of Hillary's e-mails.

The only places I see on a Google search of “Joe Biden” that portray it anywhere like that is Fox News and TheBlaze. The vast majority are focusing on Trump’s conduct. You’re comparing apples and oranges
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1321 on: September 23, 2019, 07:20:59 PM »

The only places I see on a Google search of “Joe Biden” that portray it anywhere like that is Fox News and TheBlaze. The vast majority are focusing on Trump’s conduct. You’re comparing apples and oranges
Let's put it this way.  I don't see Biden as the type of candidate who can shrug this off.  I can see Warren, Kamala, or Pete shaking this off, but not an establishment dinosaur like Biden.
BundouYMB

« Reply #1322 on: September 23, 2019, 07:29:17 PM »

Let's put it this way.  I don't see Biden as the type of candidate who can shrug this off.  I can see Warren, Kamala, or Pete shaking this off, but not an establishment dinosaur like Biden.

Yes, it's not like Biden has already shaken off dozens of fake scandals- oh, wait.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1323 on: September 23, 2019, 07:30:29 PM »

I think it's different because it's a two-sided story.

The e-mails were just Hillary.  No matter what, if you were covering the e-mails, you were implying something negative about Hillary.  There was no way to write a positive e-mails story because the "positive" was just a neutral -- there was nothing there -- and wasn't going to make people see Hillary better (or Trump worse).

With Ukraine, it's Biden and Trump.  So if you're covering Ukraine, even if you try to both-sides it with "well Biden did fire the prosecutor so there is an element of truth to it" you still have to report "Trump sent Giuliani to blackmail Ukraine into opening an investigation, and then lied about it."  Most sane people would agree that the latter is worse even if the Biden story were completely true.
Illini Moderate
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -4.00

« Reply #1324 on: September 23, 2019, 07:32:46 PM »

This Ukraine matter and the Email scandal are so different in so many ways.

1. Hillary actually DID use a private server
2. There was an FBI investigation into the matter
3. She refused to apologize for it even when public sentiment was that she f***ed up.
4. Hillary had much more corruption-related baggage than Biden
5. Biden is not the main subject of this matter, his SON, TRUMP, and GULIANI are
6. Biden is already pushing back better than Hillary by addressing it only in terms of what Trump did
7. This matter started with a whistleblower complaint against TRUMP, not Biden
8. Hillary was a woman, many are predisposed into being suspicious and critical of women in power

I can go on and on but I think I made my point. This is nothing like the Email scandal, which, although overblown, was actually a matter of legitimate concern. There is no evidence here that ANYTHING even occurred.  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies