Israeli General Election (2019) II: Electric Boogaloo (17.9.2019)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:30:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israeli General Election (2019) II: Electric Boogaloo (17.9.2019)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 64
Author Topic: Israeli General Election (2019) II: Electric Boogaloo (17.9.2019)  (Read 109002 times)
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: June 22, 2019, 09:24:56 PM »

^ this is why I always believed that Israel's center-left and left need to double down on the Zionist ethos while also becoming more leftist on economics.

I think it is a good combo to win back votes as it matches the right-wing nationalist-populism with a form of left-wing nationalist-populism.

I'm an economically left-wing nationalist myself so I would love it if Israel adopted that ideology but I don't think they will. Labor actually tried to this twice under Peretz and Yacimovich and both times the results were underwhelming.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #176 on: June 23, 2019, 02:09:58 AM »

^ this is why I always believed that Israel's center-left and left need to double down on the Zionist ethos while also becoming more leftist on economics.

I think it is a good combo to win back votes as it matches the right-wing nationalist-populism with a form of left-wing nationalist-populism.

Why buy the fake when you can get the real deal? Who ever wants nationalistic ethos and is not religious has Likud and B&W they wouldn’t need a pale version. Plus left wing economic populism is not such a hot product in Israeli society. Most Likud voters have very little sympathy for unions or taxation.

Wasnt shas in the 90's basically the choice for Left-wing populism and a nationalistic security policy and one of the reasons why they did so even well among the poor (non-haredi) mizrahim?
I could imagine many mizrahim voting for this kind of party, one that rejects the (perceived) ashkenazi liberalism of B&W and Labor both on economic and security issues.
There must be massive untapped potential for the left among poor mizrahim who currently vote for the likud, a party that goes completely against their economic interest.

What you call left wing populism isn’t really applicable in Israel. Shas rode more on the culture war, there was little concrete economic messages there
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #177 on: June 23, 2019, 05:10:38 AM »

Why buy the fake when you can get the real deal? Who ever wants nationalistic ethos and is not religious has Likud and B&W they wouldn’t need a pale version. Plus left wing economic populism is not such a hot product in Israeli society. Most Likud voters have very little sympathy for unions or taxation.

And how do you even make economic and social justice a massive election issue without also taking a meaningful steps to end the injustice (to both Israelis and Palestinians) of the occupation? To separate those requires Orwellian cognitive dissonance and we already have more than enough of that in our politics. Americans have a quaint notion of today's Zionism as this kind of underdog heroism of persecuted Jews making a way for themselves in a regional oasis of democracy and tolerance. No, actually, Zionism today is the border police evacuating Arab apartment buildings in East Jerusalem so that rich and utterly unpersecuted American settlers can move in and live in new government-subsidized Jewish housing. If Meretz of all people can't find the sense to stand against that then the Jewish left isn't just a phantom but is actually a dangerous and willing tool for the right.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #178 on: June 23, 2019, 07:11:52 AM »

Wasnt shas in the 90's basically the choice for Left-wing populism and a nationalistic security policy and one of the reasons why they did so even well among the poor (non-haredi) mizrahim?
I could imagine many mizrahim voting for this kind of party, one that rejects the (perceived) ashkenazi liberalism of B&W and Labor both on economic and security issues.
There must be massive untapped potential for the left among poor mizrahim who currently vote for the likud, a party that goes completely against their economic interest.

Shas only became hawkish in the last 20 years. In the 90s, Shas was mostly agnostic on the peace issue, that's why they were able to sit in both Labor and Likud and national unity governments. Today the idea of Shas propping up a Labor government, while not completely ridiculous, is very unlikely. Like fug, forget not being hawkish, Shas wasn't even officially Zionist until like 10 years ago.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #179 on: June 23, 2019, 07:12:53 AM »

And how do you even make economic and social justice a massive election issue without also taking a meaningful steps to end the injustice (to both Israelis and Palestinians) of the occupation? To separate those requires Orwellian cognitive dissonance and we already have more than enough of that in our politics. Americans have a quaint notion of today's Zionism as this kind of underdog heroism of persecuted Jews making a way for themselves in a regional oasis of democracy and tolerance. No, actually, Zionism today is the border police evacuating Arab apartment buildings in East Jerusalem so that rich and utterly unpersecuted American settlers can move in and live in new government-subsidized Jewish housing. If Meretz of all people can't find the sense to stand against that then the Jewish left isn't just a phantom but is actually a dangerous and willing tool for the right.

It's pretty easy to support the occupation but also give more welfare to Israeli citizens. You may not think it's morally right but it's perfectly easy to envision.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #180 on: June 24, 2019, 12:38:02 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2019, 12:42:39 PM by Parrotguy »

In an interview, Stav Shaffir said that under her, the party will become truly democratic and that she'll shift the debate to real issues- breaking the religion-state status quo and stopping the "useless debate" about conscripting Haredim to the army, instead talking about bringing them into the job market. She added that no one actually has interest in conscripting them and that we'll need to reach a new agreement of "live and let live".

She continues to show that she's the only candidate running on a real change platform- Peretz is literally running on bringing the party back to the 2000s and freezing it, appealing to voters' survival instinct, while Shmuli is saying there needs to be "a new generation" but is just running on the status quo. She's the only one willing to stand against the corrupt and powerful both without and within (introducing a bill that'd make labour unions more transperant and democratic, she was the only one in the party to support it). She's also the only one running on a message of shifting the debate and reforming the party. The others want the status quo- and that only means death. Gabbay was an outsider, but he didn't really change anything about the party, he was just more blatant about trying to appeal to the right. I truly believe she's the only hope for the party, and even she may fail, but it's better than not changing anything.

.... So of course, she's third in basically all the polls, and will almost certainly lose. She says the race is tight and is making an effort to recruit as many new voters to the party as possible in these last hours before the deadline, but I'm sure she realizes this too. If Shmuli\Peretz win, I think she'll need to convince me to vote Labour again, because the Israeli left needs change and they just won't provide it.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #181 on: June 24, 2019, 02:13:04 PM »

In an interview, Stav Shaffir said that under her, the party will become truly democratic and that she'll shift the debate to real issues- breaking the religion-state status quo and stopping the "useless debate" about conscripting Haredim to the army, instead talking about bringing them into the job market. She added that no one actually has interest in conscripting them and that we'll need to reach a new agreement of "live and let live".
This is actually really important and good.
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #182 on: June 25, 2019, 03:03:58 AM »

This is actually really important and good.

Yes. The IDF has long said publicly that it has an overabundance of manpower. But still the draft debate does serve as a useful focal point for the broader discussion of how much we should demand Haredi integration. The draft debate has never really been about the draft, strictly speaking. It is about whether Israel should continue to support a growing sector that demands many things from society and professes that what they mainly give back in return is the "merit" of endless study of obscure Galatian rabbis and their ideas about how many times to dunk cups in mikvah water to make them kosher. Most Israelis don't think that we're getting a very good deal out of that.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #183 on: June 26, 2019, 10:14:09 AM »
« Edited: June 26, 2019, 10:20:28 AM by Parrotguy »

Former PM Barak officially announced his new party. Also joining: prominent anti-Bibi businessman Kobi Richter, feminist activist and Orly Levy's number 3 Yifat Biton and former Deputy IDF Chief of Staff Yair Golan.

Update: Biton just promised that the party will have full gender equality.
danny
Israel

« Reply #184 on: June 26, 2019, 10:33:04 AM »

Clearly what Israeli politics was missing was a centre-left anti Bibi party led by a former general...
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #185 on: June 26, 2019, 11:38:54 AM »

Clearly what Israeli politics was missing was a centre-left anti Bibi party led by a former general...

You cannot credibly claim that Blue and White is truly a center-left party. They can't even bring themselves to support a two-state solution and the author of the nation-state law is on their list. There is nothing "left" about that party. And Labor is lost somewhere in Avi Gabbay's annhilationist crazyland, so, yeah, actually, there is room for a truly center-left party with decent military backgrounds on the list.
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #186 on: June 26, 2019, 11:40:40 AM »

Former PM Barak officially announced his new party. Also joining: prominent anti-Bibi businessman Kobi Richter, feminist activist and Orly Levy's number 3 Yifat Biton and former Deputy IDF Chief of Staff Yair Golan.

It's probably already better than Labor and it doesn't even yet have a name.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #187 on: June 26, 2019, 11:40:44 AM »

How many parties that is going to unite all anti-Netanyahu do you actually need ?  An would this not make Labor go below the threshold ?
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #188 on: June 26, 2019, 11:46:15 AM »

How many parties that is going to unite all anti-Netanyahu do you actually need ?

I think the calculation is that now that Liberman is pretty much set against Bibi as PM it opens up an amazing number of doors for these parties. The right-religious coalition is effectively dead since they won't get 61 seats without Liberman. That means that even if the Likud wins the next government will necessarily require a leftist or centrist party, or maybe morr than one of them. That gives even parties like Labor with only 4 or 5 seats a lot of leverage. You could easily see a non-Bibi Likud-led coalition with Liberman, Bennet, and Labor or Barak as junior partners.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #189 on: June 26, 2019, 11:57:45 AM »

The narrative seems to be that this party will unite with Labour and Meretz. IF Barak can help raise the Israeli left back up, maybe he'll compensate for his bad history.
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #190 on: June 26, 2019, 12:39:45 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2019, 12:43:35 PM by Walmart_shopper »

The narrative seems to be that this party will unite with Labour and Meretz. IF Barak can help raise the Israeli left back up, maybe he'll compensate for his bad history.

Channel 13 just releases this poll:

Likud: 32
KL: 32
Joint List 12
Yisrael Beytenu 7
Shas 6
UTJ 6
Barak 6
Meretz 6
Labor 5
Union of Right-Wing Parties 4
New Right 4

Liberman+Center-left 68
Right-religious 52

The Joint List and Barak are obviously giving the left a real advantage. But that assumes good Arab turnout and a dazzling debut for Barak's party. Interesting numbers, in any case. I assumed that Bibi's talk of cancelling the elections was typical Netanyahu clownery, but if they're getting anything close to these numbers in Likud polling then maybe it wasn't just typical Bibi melodrama after all.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #191 on: June 26, 2019, 01:20:53 PM »

Problem being that Lieberman wants B&W+Likud, and would never back a left government. If those numbers emerge, then yeah, Bibi has to go since there is no majority for him as PM, even though there may be a working Likud govt. However, I suspect these numbers are just like the B&W peak after Gantz joined with YA - a lot of hype but eventually things will come back to earth.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #192 on: June 26, 2019, 06:59:35 PM »

So Otzma Yehudit has left the United Right? Will they run their own list and most likely pull both of them below the threshold ?
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #193 on: June 27, 2019, 03:18:58 AM »

Problem being that Lieberman wants B&W+Likud, and would never back a left government. If those numbers emerge, then yeah, Bibi has to go since there is no majority for him as PM, even though there may be a working Likud govt. However, I suspect these numbers are just like the B&W peak after Gantz joined with YA - a lot of hype but eventually things will come back to earth.

Of course in this particular poll the center-left has a majority without Liberman. But I agree with you that that seems a less likely result.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #194 on: June 27, 2019, 05:56:00 AM »

Joint List 12
Yisrael Beytenu 7
Shas 6
UTJ 6
Barak 6
Meretz 6
Labor 5
New Right 4

Liberman+Center-left 68
Right-religious 52

The Joint List and Barak are obviously giving the left a real advantage. But that assumes good Arab turnout and a dazzling debut for Barak's party. Interesting numbers, in any case. I assumed that Bibi's talk of cancelling the elections was typical Netanyahu clownery, but if they're getting anything close to these numbers in Likud polling then maybe it wasn't just typical Bibi melodrama after all.
Junk poll. UTJ can’t lose 2 seats and the left is getting more seats ex nihilo
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #195 on: June 27, 2019, 07:13:17 AM »

Moshe Kahlon's number 3 Yifat Biton*
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #196 on: June 27, 2019, 07:16:37 AM »

So Otzma Yehudit has left the United Right? Will they run their own list and most likely pull both of them below the threshold ?
It's suspected that this is a tactic to receive better slots on the list - but who knows these days...
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #197 on: June 27, 2019, 08:38:08 AM »

Joint List 12
Yisrael Beytenu 7
Shas 6
UTJ 6
Barak 6
Meretz 6
Labor 5
New Right 4

Liberman+Center-left 68
Right-religious 52

Junk poll. UTJ can’t lose 2 seats and the left is getting more seats ex nihilo

It is just one poll. But Litzman is about to be indicted and Haredi parties drown in high turnout models. UTJ losing two seats is utterly realistic. The center-left winning a majority is less realistic, but that doesn't mean thst the poll is bad. Polls are snapshots and not predictions, as we all know by now. The Joint List being a joint list automatically grabs 2-3 seats from the right, assuming that Arab turnout won't be historically bad. Most polling shows that the the four mandates for Kulanu have been basically swallowed and haven't boosted the Likud at all. So there is 2-4 more seats. The splintering of the right wing parties probably doesn't help, either. The right-religious bloc got 65 seats in April. In this poll they have 59. Factor in all of the above and the results are obviously not "ex nihilo."
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #198 on: June 27, 2019, 02:54:14 PM »

Moshe Kahlon's number 3 Yifat Biton*

No, Orly Levy's

Moshe Kahlon's number 3 is Yifat Shaha-Biton, currently Housing and Construction Minister. Yifat Biton is a law professor and feminist activist who was Orly Levy's number 3.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #199 on: June 27, 2019, 02:58:34 PM »

Nitsan Horovitz defeated Zandberg in the Meretz leadership election with 56% of the vote: 459 convention delegates against her 383.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies