Beto O’Rourke 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 12:04:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Beto O’Rourke 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51
Author Topic: Beto O’Rourke 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 86564 times)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1125 on: June 20, 2019, 07:11:39 PM »

I actually wonder if Kander hadn't sought treatment for his mental condition, how he would fare in this primary. If Buttigieg could be doing as well as he currently is, I think Kander could have possibly had a shot too.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #1126 on: June 20, 2019, 07:32:39 PM »

I actually wonder if Kander hadn't sought treatment for his mental condition, how he would fare in this primary. If Buttigieg could be doing as well as he currently is, I think Kander could have possibly had a shot too.

Kander is actually a dynamic speaker and campaigner, so he’d definitely have shut bland Buttigieg out.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #1127 on: June 22, 2019, 01:50:51 PM »

I'm thinking if he can't have a massive breakout moment in the first or maybe second debate, he should consider moving his candidacy to the Texas Senate race. I donated to his campaign in March. I wouldn't be offended if he transferred that money to taking out Cornyn.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1128 on: June 22, 2019, 03:13:17 PM »

Kander is actually a dynamic speaker and campaigner, so he’d definitely have shut bland Buttigieg out.

So was Beto during the Senate run. That's what caused all the hub-bub that put him into a field he really shouldn't have entered.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #1129 on: June 23, 2019, 07:15:20 AM »

Imagine still being excited about Beto O'Rourke in June of 2019.

imagine being a libertarian...ever...

It's even lazier trolling than his increasing pathetic attempts to start a discussion on race and IQ in the Joe Biden thread. (Which, happily, the entire forum ignored.)

I was going to note that this guy isn't a libertarian.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1130 on: June 23, 2019, 05:48:40 PM »

It's even lazier trolling than his increasing pathetic attempts to start a discussion on race and IQ in the Joe Biden thread. (Which, happily, the entire forum ignored.)

This is just flat-out slander. I did no such thing.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1131 on: June 23, 2019, 05:55:20 PM »

This is just flat-out slander. I did no such thing.

If you're talking about this post, then you've completely misinterpreted it:

Can any leftist Biden critics here fuse together the Atlas narrative that Joe Biden is an apologist for racism and the plain fact that a huge portion of African-Americans support him, without implicitly stating that black voters are "low-information?"

My point was that Biden is clearly not a racist, and that to make that argument you basically have to argue that black voters are "voting against their own interests." I find that kind of argument stupid whether it's being applied to African-Americans supporting Biden or to blue-collar whites who voted for Trump. I was pointing out how stupid and condescending such an argument is, and how it significantly undermines that moronic Atlas narrative that Biden is some kind of apologist for the KKK.

Then again, numerous people recommended that post, and they all seemed to understand it perfectly fine. So I'm going to go ahead and assume that this misrepresentation of my views is more motivated by deliberate maliciousness than by accidental misreading.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1132 on: June 24, 2019, 11:48:49 AM »

Ew. No.

Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1133 on: June 24, 2019, 11:53:44 AM »

↑ That is a legitimately horrible policy proposal.
Ilhan Apologist
Glowfish

« Reply #1134 on: June 24, 2019, 12:07:14 PM »

Is the intention to make war less popular among non-military families?
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #1135 on: June 24, 2019, 12:09:03 PM »

Ew. No.

I could see this used as a way to deter future wars by making Americans have to pay more for them out of pocket.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1136 on: June 24, 2019, 01:19:59 PM »

This is a policy dud for Beto.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1137 on: June 24, 2019, 04:54:07 PM »

If you're talking about this post, then you've completely misinterpreted it:

Can any leftist Biden critics here fuse together the Atlas narrative that Joe Biden is an apologist for racism and the plain fact that a huge portion of African-Americans support him, without implicitly stating that black voters are "low-information?"

My point was that Biden is clearly not a racist, and that to make that argument you basically have to argue that black voters are "voting against their own interests." I find that kind of argument stupid whether it's being applied to African-Americans supporting Biden or to blue-collar whites who voted for Trump. I was pointing out how stupid and condescending such an argument is, and how it significantly undermines that moronic Atlas narrative that Biden is some kind of apologist for the KKK.

Then again, numerous people recommended that post, and they all seemed to understand it perfectly fine. So I'm going to go ahead and assume that this misrepresentation of my views is more motivated by deliberate maliciousness than by accidental misreading.

If that's all that you meant, fair enough. The attitude that you criticize is condescending and ignorant. But I wasn't the only person to take you that way, perhaps because there are obvious explanations for Joe Biden retaining widespread black support regardless of how problematic his comments were. Politicians far more racist than even the most outrageous caricature of Joe Biden have won large portions of the black vote.

Your remark would have confused me less and amused me more if it referenced Elizabeth Warren's consistently decent numbers among Democratic People of Means.

I wasn't aware that anyone had found that comment confusing. Perhaps those responses got buried in the thread, but I didn't see any. I'll post a clarification.

To stress this point though: Black voters have a lot of options in this primary but they still make up a large portion of Biden's support (40% according to one poll, if I recall correctly). It's not like they're being railroaded into choosing between Biden and a candidate who's even more racially insensitive. Therefore, I find the notion among some Atlas users that Biden is an apologist for segregation to be implicitly insulting to black voters. To make that argument, you basically have to say that they're either not paying attention to the process, or that they're only voting for Biden because he was Obama's VP. I've criticized this condescending "voting against your own interests" argument many times in many other situations.

I may have overestimated how prevalent this mentality was on Atlas, but I still thought that this was why nobody responded to that post, which is why I quoted it a second time. Anyway, for the record, I've never tried to start a """conversation""" about race and IQ on this site. We can probably leave this here. Thanks for the follow-up.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #1138 on: June 25, 2019, 01:31:32 AM »

Every1 says castro sounds like Obama but am i the only one that thinks O'Rourke literally talks like Obama
Buzz

« Reply #1139 on: June 26, 2019, 10:09:44 PM »

Drop out imminent
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1140 on: June 26, 2019, 10:23:35 PM »

I have not doubted this moment would come for a single second of a single day since he announced this doomed campaign.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #1141 on: June 26, 2019, 10:29:58 PM »

I think he still wants to be VP, so he'll probably stick it out a little longer.
terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #1142 on: June 26, 2019, 10:31:55 PM »

Is Beto this cycle's Scott Walker:
Jumped in as a frontrunner, was given a large amount of money and then quickly faded and a rough debate
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1143 on: June 26, 2019, 11:42:22 PM »

He bombed horribly.
SCNCmod

« Reply #1144 on: June 26, 2019, 11:56:52 PM »

nothing is ever decided this far out... just when you think someone is out- all of a sudden something brings them back.

That said- if Beto does stay below 4% from this point forward- Biden has the nomination wrapped up.  Beto is the only candidate who could potentially draw enough support from Biden to allow one of the other candidates to catch up with him.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1145 on: June 26, 2019, 11:58:17 PM »

Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1146 on: June 26, 2019, 11:59:38 PM »

Castro ate him for dinner. Oof!
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1147 on: June 27, 2019, 12:20:11 AM »

Yeah, this seems like Walker v 2.0, except that he jumped into the race sooner than Walker.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #1148 on: June 27, 2019, 08:23:56 AM »

Every1 says castro sounds like Obama but am i the only one that thinks O'Rourke literally talks like Obama

Yeah, I can see it. The reasons I thought O'Rourke did poorly last night were pretty similar to the reasons I didn't support Obama in the 2008 primaries.
bilaps
« Reply #1149 on: June 27, 2019, 08:25:20 AM »

Is Beto this cycle's Scott Walker:
Jumped in as a frontrunner, was given a large amount of money and then quickly faded and a rough debate

He was never a fronturunner, especially when he jumped in.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies