Beto O’Rourke 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 05:46:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Beto O’Rourke 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 51
Author Topic: Beto O’Rourke 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 86538 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1075 on: May 22, 2019, 03:45:58 PM »

Beto town hall ratings were catastrophically low

Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1076 on: May 22, 2019, 06:19:40 PM »

O'Rourke's slump can be attributed to the fact that he is a total media creation and without 24/7 media fellation people have discovered he is a pathetic trust fund baby with no skills or accomplishments
Says a Trump supporter.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1077 on: May 22, 2019, 06:21:23 PM »

O'Rourke's slump can be attributed to the fact that he is a total media creation and without 24/7 media fellation people have discovered he is a pathetic trust fund baby with no skills or accomplishments
Says a Trump supporter.

Whataboutism.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1078 on: May 22, 2019, 06:45:37 PM »

He might have to stand on more countertops and take more pictures of him getting his ear hair cut. It’s worth a try. Tongue
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #1079 on: May 22, 2019, 07:11:13 PM »

Says a Trump supporter.
Lol, I didn't even vote for Trump
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1080 on: May 22, 2019, 09:57:09 PM »

I wonder how different his fortunes would've been had he just announced in January when he had the attention of everyone including Oprah. That whole indecision period along with the media blackout has to be one of the worst campaign decisions of the decade.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1081 on: May 24, 2019, 10:10:01 AM »

I wonder how different his fortunes would've been had he just announced in January when he had the attention of everyone including Oprah. That whole indecision period along with the media blackout has to be one of the worst campaign decisions of the decade.

That may prove to be true, but I don't think we can say Beto truly messed up until we get through the debates and he fails to have a breakout moment that resurrects his candidacy. That's still a possibility.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1082 on: May 24, 2019, 12:09:56 PM »

That may prove to be true, but I don't think we can say Beto truly messed up until we get through the debates and he fails to have a breakout moment that resurrects his candidacy. That's still a possibility.

Kasich never had such breakouts in 2016. He may have had the best debate performance on pure policy, but he definitely didn't get that across.

He went onto almost take New Hampshire and outlast Rubio.

There is then still that same possibility that Beto could do the same thing Iowa, and THAT failure is where I think then that Monday Quarterbacking would be acceptable.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #1083 on: May 26, 2019, 02:27:45 PM »

He really should have just run for senate again.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1084 on: May 26, 2019, 02:28:51 PM »

Before the Biden announcement, Harris and Beto looked strong, along with Bernie. Once Biden got in, he got his bump.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1085 on: May 26, 2019, 02:49:25 PM »

He really should have just run for senate again.
Two massive bids for the same office in consecutive cycles and losing both looks terrible. He can run in 2024. Jeanne Shaheen waited and won a rematch.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1086 on: May 26, 2019, 02:59:34 PM »

Sherrod Brown, if Trump wins, would be the favorite to be the nominee, Beto and Harris won't be, come 2024
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1087 on: May 26, 2019, 03:01:02 PM »

I don't think it's just that. I think it's also that his reason for running for President was really weak. Saying he was "born to run" makes him seem very entitled.

In addition, he's also lost momentum by not making many media appearances.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix

« Reply #1088 on: May 26, 2019, 04:28:04 PM »

I don't think it's just that. I think it's also that his reason for running for President was really weak. Saying he was "born to run" makes him seem very entitled.

In addition, he's also lost momentum by not making many media appearances.

I think that Vanity Fair profile is what killed him
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #1089 on: May 26, 2019, 06:16:45 PM »
« Edited: May 26, 2019, 06:21:24 PM by Da2017 »

Yeah. Appearing on cover magazines doesn't help these days. Ask Rubio and Christie. Bad sense of optics.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix

« Reply #1090 on: May 26, 2019, 06:31:51 PM »

Yeah. Appearing on cover magazines doesn't help these days. Ask Rubio and Christie. Bad sense of optics.

IMO tt's not so much that he was profiled, it's the way he came off.  A magazine like that whose subscription base is upper-middle-class college-educated women is a good idea for a D to be in but the born to run stuff just came off as arrogant and entitled.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1091 on: May 28, 2019, 02:38:48 AM »

This campaign was really just a story of overconfidence and missteps throughout.

Given it’s early, he does in theory have time to try to rebuild a niche for himself and grow from there. I’m just not sure i see any way that he can do it at this point.
SCNCmod

« Reply #1092 on: May 29, 2019, 12:22:11 AM »

What will allow Beto to make a comeback...
Is if polls in the fall have him beating Trump by more than other candidates (like the fairly recent one that had him beating Trump by 10pts .... and everyone else was winning by 6pts or lower).

If polls in the fall show this... there will be a strong "most likely to beat Trump" case to be made.  So he should do everything he can to keep appearing in national media as well has small town halls- and hope that at the very least he is increasing his electability polls, even if not necessarily increasing his stance as "1st choice" among Dem candidates right now.

Many in Iowa will be heavily influenced by who is strongest in the "vs Trump" polls that are taken in the latter part of the year.
SCNCmod

« Reply #1093 on: May 29, 2019, 12:26:38 AM »

Beto should also campaign some in Florida.  Many Dems will have bad matchup numbers vs Trump in the all important Florida.... Beto is a candidate that could potentially gain some strength in vs Trump in Florida (even if he is lower in the Florida Primary polls).
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1094 on: May 29, 2019, 12:52:59 AM »

Beto should also campaign some in Florida.  Many Dems will have bad matchup numbers vs Trump in the all important Florida.... Beto is a candidate that could potentially gain some strength in vs Trump in Florida (even if he is lower in the Florida Primary polls).
There’s no point. The narrative will be set by the time Florida votes. If he can’t make something happen in Iowa, Nevada, California, or Texas it’s over.
Hollywood
« Reply #1095 on: May 29, 2019, 09:16:25 AM »

Is it over yet? 

I can make an argument for every single Democrat candidate other than Beto.  Here's how a debate about Beto's credentials ultimately ends:

BetoBro: Look what Beto did in Texas?

Me: He won?

BetoBro: No, but he was really close.

Me: So he holds no office?

BetoBro: No, but he's really inspiring.  No Democrat could have been so close in Texas. Wait until a debate.

Me: He looked pretty bad at the Town Hall.  Didn't seem to know much. 

BetoBro: He knows more than Trump.  You're a Trump troll.  Trump Troll. Trump Troll.  Trump Troll.

Me:  What's the real reason you support Beto? 

BetoBro: I love him.  On the campaign trail, he stood on table, reached down, and caressed my face with a loving embrace.  It was then I knew that destiny would bring us together in holy matrimony thanks to that Supreme Court decision.  Look at me getting all emotional.  I just need him so bad.

Me: You're crazy dude.

BetoBro: Well you're the one that came up with this theoretical conversation and posted it on a forum.  If I'm crazy in love with Beto, then it must mean you're secretly in love with Beto.

Me: You got me in a bind.  Beto for President.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #1096 on: May 29, 2019, 10:50:50 AM »

Is it over yet? 

I can make an argument for every single Democrat candidate other than Beto.  Here's how a debate about Beto's credentials ultimately ends:

BetoBro: No, but he's really inspiring.  No Democrat could have been so close in Texas. Wait until a debate.

BetoBro: He knows more than Trump.  You're a Trump troll.  Trump Troll. Trump Troll.  Trump Troll.

BetoBro: I love him.  On the campaign trail, he stood on table, reached down, and caressed my face with a loving embrace.  It was then I knew that destiny would bring us together in holy matrimony thanks to that Supreme Court decision.  Look at me getting all emotional.  I just need him so bad.

BetoBro: Well you're the one that came up with this theoretical conversation and posted it on a forum.  If I'm crazy in love with Beto, then it must mean you're secretly in love with Beto.

You are a concern troll.
Hollywood
« Reply #1097 on: May 29, 2019, 01:33:59 PM »

Is it over yet? 

You are a concern troll.

I wasn't trying to convey concern.  I'm not concerned.  I just think Beto O'Rourke is a waste of time, and it's time for Democrats to cut somebody from the try-outs, especially when that person is just repeating the same garbage left wing talking points.  For all this nonsense about Trump being a fraud, I find it laughable that so many Democrats can't see that Beto O'Rourke is not running for President of the United States.  He knows he doesn't have a chance.  He's running for fame, and perhaps, a cabinet position.  He has so many left-wingers fooled.  The guy is obviously further to the right, but just says the things he thinks you want to hear.  He uses platitudes to undermine any discussion about his record or qualifications, because my friend, Beto is the ultimate concern troll.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #1098 on: May 30, 2019, 09:52:19 PM »

There’s no point. The narrative will be set by the time Florida votes. If he can’t make something happen in Iowa, Nevada, California, or Texas it’s over.
This. His focus should be on Iowa.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1099 on: June 01, 2019, 08:45:16 PM »

It's sad - because he could have a nearly-safe win against Corryn - but he's shooting for an office that he's just not going to earn, yet.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 51  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies