AL-SEN: It’s Tuberville
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 10:48:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  AL-SEN: It’s Tuberville
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29
Poll
Question: Will Doug Jones get a higher or lower vote share than Heidi Heitkamp did in 2018?
Higher

Lower

About the same

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 273

Author Topic: AL-SEN: It’s Tuberville  (Read 56267 times)
Use Your Illusion

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #650 on: July 15, 2020, 12:00:38 AM »

Can someone please explain to me what Sessions has done (or not done) to become the "liberal" candidate in this run-off, and lose badly?

Trump is literally a mind control wave. All he has to do is wave his hand and 300,000 people will vote for a football coach with no connection to the state. And this is why I chicken little every single poll that shows Biden in the lead. Trump has basically reached cult status.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #651 on: July 15, 2020, 12:12:02 AM »

Remarkable how Sessions somehow did worse than Strange against Roy Moore this time around.

Interestingly the only Strange-Sessions county is Madison.

John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #652 on: July 15, 2020, 12:26:43 AM »

Trump demands absolute loyalty but will give none of it in return. This is proof.
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #653 on: July 15, 2020, 12:42:10 AM »

Remarkable how Sessions somehow did worse than Strange against Roy Moore this time around.

Well to be fair, Strange had Trump's endorsement.

IIRC, Strange only narrowly won Madison. By contrast, it was Sessions' only comfortable win, as he only narrowly won the other two counties.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #654 on: July 15, 2020, 01:56:52 AM »

K, it's high past time to have cut Jones off. I'm sure there's some sort of cabinet position he'd love to have.

Nah, as 2020 has made very clear, we're probably living in one of the universes where the race - thanks to abysmal GOP performances recently - can be made somewhat competitive in a durable way. Doesn't hurt to put in the bare minimum for an incumbent in the hopes that he gets lucky before/on Election Day.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #655 on: July 15, 2020, 04:29:36 AM »

I’m shocked TT won in Tuscaloosa. It sounds trivial but .... in Alabama that’s a shock.

Jones best shot was against TT though. It sounds backwards but it’s true. With that said:

Safe GOP
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #656 on: July 15, 2020, 04:30:46 AM »
« Edited: July 15, 2020, 05:21:50 AM by Penn_Quaker_Girl »

IIRC, Strange only narrowly won Madison. By contrast, it was Sessions' only comfortable win, as he only narrowly won the other two counties.

Asking* an Alabaman: what gives Madison County that NeverTrump character, TEBP?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #657 on: July 15, 2020, 04:31:22 AM »

Who are the Trump-Jones voters? Doug Jones hasn't broken from his party on anything major like Joe Manchin, who at least got to use his vote for Kavanaugh and had a less rigidly partisan state. Trump is still going to win Alabama by around 20 points even if he loses big nationwide, and the swing away from him will be smaller than nationwide. Maybe a few people vote Jones because of Tuberville's history (though there could also be Tuberville-Biden voters given Trump's unpopularity). But where is 10% of the electorate (this is really a bare minimum) that would vote Jones and not Biden? The national environment was pretty great for Democrats in December 2017, but even with Roy Moore being a pedophile Alabama is so rigidly partisan that Jones could only manage a 1 point win.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #658 on: July 15, 2020, 04:53:30 AM »

ASLsking an Alabaman: what gives Madison County that NeverTrump character, TEBP?

It's home to the US Space & Rocket Center, so I guess a large number of scientists live there.
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #659 on: July 15, 2020, 07:32:57 AM »

Tuberville will win by at least 15 points. Safe R.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #660 on: July 15, 2020, 08:32:58 AM »

I’m shocked TT won in Tuscaloosa. It sounds trivial but .... in Alabama that’s a shock.

Tuscaloosa was Tuberville's second worst county in the state, and by quite a bit. If we get the state a uniform swing of 2.6% from T-T to Sessions, only Limestone flips with Tuscaloosa, and we would have to give Sessions quite a bit more to start flipping counties en masse.

In conclusion, football rivalries do appear to be a thing, but Tuberville's brand was strong enough overall to counteract this gut reaction.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #661 on: July 15, 2020, 09:01:57 AM »

Not a native, but I have a lot of friends in Huntsville.  There's a big Federal workforce there (Redstone Arsenal, NASA, defense contractors, etc.), so the Republicans who live there tend to be the well-educated, "big gummit" neoconservative type.  It's basically a (way less diverse) mini-NOVA.   
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #662 on: July 15, 2020, 09:33:13 AM »

Here lies the political career of Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III, named for two confederate heroes like his father and grandfather before him—the only monument to the Confederacy that Trump was eager to remove.
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #663 on: July 15, 2020, 09:40:12 AM »

Just well-educated, higher-income, suburban types....or at least moreso than the Republican base in the rest of the state. Also being dependent on federal defense dollars means they prefer establishment politicians to showboat candidates. Finally, someone told me Sessions did look out for the area while he was a senator. And yes, I am in Madison County (but not from here...not even from Alabama).

If anyone is curious about Tuberville's narrow win in neighboring Limestone County, I suspect it's because much of the Madison County workforce lives there, particularly in the city of Athens. I am going to speculate that Sessions won Athens, while Tuberville won the rest of the county.
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #664 on: July 15, 2020, 09:42:45 AM »

The Alabama Democrats have absolutely eviscerated Tommy Tuberville on Twitter:

TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #665 on: July 15, 2020, 09:51:06 AM »

Can someone please explain to me what Sessions has done (or not done) to become the "liberal" candidate in this run-off, and lose badly?

Trump is literally a mind control wave. All he has to do is wave his hand and 300,000 people will vote for a football coach with no connection to the state. And this is why I chicken little every single poll that shows Biden in the lead. Trump has basically reached cult status.

And it's not like Tuberville ran some sort of great campaign...he wouldn't even debate (will he even debate Jones I wonder?). Stories about him not having voted for years surfaced shortly before the runoff. He still almost doubled his percentage of the vote from the first round! Sessions, by contrast, only improved by single digits.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #666 on: July 15, 2020, 12:08:23 PM »

K, it's high past time to have cut Jones off. I'm sure there's some sort of cabinet position he'd love to have.

AG
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #667 on: July 15, 2020, 02:00:10 PM »

Lmao, Beauregard get his a* kicked, but he fully deserved it. For once in his life, the guy did something right by recusing himself from the Russia investigation and then he was begging the God Emperor for forgiveness after being bullied on Twitter for over a year. That being said, I still would have enjoyed him winning just to see Trump going nuts.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #668 on: July 15, 2020, 02:07:42 PM »

If Sessions somehow won the runoff, I really wonder if Trump would have endorsed him in the general.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #669 on: July 15, 2020, 02:08:40 PM »

Jeff Sessions will forever be known ass the biggest cuck in American history.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #670 on: July 15, 2020, 05:43:52 PM »

Glad about this because-

1. F*** Sessions

2. Jones probably has a slightly better shot against TT.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #671 on: July 15, 2020, 07:10:19 PM »

Jeff Sessions will forever be known ass the biggest cuck in American history.

It may even be a microcosm of the entire GOP under Trump if 2020 ends up being a massive rebuke of the party.

Sessions could have been a lifelong Senator; but he eagerly jumped on the Trump train early, got his dream job, and then ended up with his career in shambles.
Use Your Illusion

« Reply #672 on: July 15, 2020, 11:06:59 PM »

The Alabama Democrats have absolutely eviscerated Tommy Tuberville on Twitter:

Gaaaahhhhhddddddd DAMN! This hockey player quality chirping here boys. I don't think Jones has a shot in hell but this? Ann Richards smiles down on these people
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #673 on: July 16, 2020, 01:44:42 AM »

If Sessions somehow won the runoff, I really wonder if Trump would have endorsed him in the general.

According to reporters, Trump often joked about this.
SInNYC

« Reply #674 on: July 16, 2020, 09:16:05 AM »

Embarrassing for Sessions that he won only three counties-Madison, Wilcox, and Mobile. Although his loss was expected, it's still astounding to me that a four-term Senator, who represented the state for 20 years, could not do better than this.

This is the south. A successful football coach has way more visibility, name recognition, and respect than pretty much anybody. That includes senators.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies