AL-SEN: It’s Tuberville
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 10:29:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  AL-SEN: It’s Tuberville
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 29
Poll
Question: Will Doug Jones get a higher or lower vote share than Heidi Heitkamp did in 2018?
Higher

Lower

About the same

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 273

Author Topic: AL-SEN: It’s Tuberville  (Read 56265 times)
Yellowhammer
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #500 on: November 06, 2019, 07:04:55 PM »

This should be fun. Definitely keeping AL at Likely R.

Why? Sessions would make it titanium R. He'd probably do a smidge better in the general than Tuberville. The only candidate who conceivably blow this race is Moore, who's all but a non-factor now.
Cinemark

« Reply #501 on: November 06, 2019, 07:13:36 PM »

I wonder if Session's views will soften somewhat like Lisa Murkowki's did if he makes it back to the senate.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #502 on: November 06, 2019, 07:35:12 PM »

I wonder if Session's views will soften somewhat like Lisa Murkowki's did if he makes it back to the senate.
Why?  He's an elderly conservative Southern man in a state dominated by conservative Christian Southerners.  I don't see any gain for him to become a Moderate Hero.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #503 on: November 06, 2019, 07:36:49 PM »

Oh my god.

What if Moore ran for Senate as an I?
Cinemark

« Reply #504 on: November 06, 2019, 07:38:33 PM »

Why?  He's an elderly conservative Southern man in a state dominated by conservative Christian Southerners.  I don't see any gain for him to become a Moderate Hero.

Just because getting thrown under the bus tends to soften your edges.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #505 on: November 06, 2019, 07:42:32 PM »

Just because getting thrown under the bus tends to soften your edges.
I mean, he might moderate on one or two issues, but that's about as far as I could see him go.  He's still going to be pro-life, anti-LGBT, pro-immigration restrictions, etc.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #506 on: November 06, 2019, 07:42:46 PM »

Why? Sessions would make it titanium R. He'd probably do a smidge better in the general than Tuberville. The only candidate who conceivably blow this race is Moore, who's all but a non-factor now.

Sessions’ problem is the primary, not the general. He has destroyed all of his goodwill with the Trump base and I can’t see him getting it back in four months’ time.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #507 on: November 06, 2019, 07:44:53 PM »

Oh my god.

If he stays in the primary past the filing deadline, then he'd only be able to do so as a write-in candidate, & so couldn't run as an independent with his name printed on the ballot.

Now, if he actually did so, then I'd love to see the GOP vote split enable a second term for Doug Jones in the Senate lmao

Sessions’ problem is the primary, not the general. He has destroyed all of his goodwill with the Trump base and I can’t see him getting it back in four months’ time.

He destroyed all of his goodwill with Trump himself, not necessarily the (Alabama) base. Remember, this is the same electorate that voted for Moore despite Trump's endorsement of & rallying for Strange.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #508 on: November 06, 2019, 07:45:59 PM »

That's true. I really want him to win but I don't see how it will happen.
I go on local facebook, and literally 100% of the comments from Republicans about him entering the race are negative. He didn't deserve to have this happen. The Trump cult is gonna ruin him.
The nuts are all voting for carpetbaggin' Florida Tommy. Seriously, the frontrunner for our senate seat voted in Florida last year.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #509 on: November 06, 2019, 08:00:48 PM »

To Alabamians or Alabama experts: Who comes out of this tug of war unscathed?  Does Moore pull off a miracle?  Do the denizens of Alabama forgive Sessions for his role in Mueller?  Or are we getting Byrne or Tuberville?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #510 on: November 06, 2019, 08:04:56 PM »

I'm talking about Christian principles in general. The UMC is a relatively small and fast shrinking Church, they are (fortunately) the exception, not the rule.

Most Christians in the USA are either catholics, southern baptists or from some evangelical Churches and all these churches are strongly supporting the right to life for every humans being
The UMC is a large church (the second largest in the South) and has a wide variety of members, from George W. Bush to Elizabeth Warren.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #511 on: November 06, 2019, 08:08:55 PM »

Oh my god.

If he stays in the primary past the filing deadline, then he'd only be able to do so as a write-in candidate, & so couldn't run as an independent with his name printed on the ballot.

Now, if he actually did so, then I'd love to see the GOP vote split enable a second term for Doug Jones in the Senate lmao

He destroyed all of his goodwill with Trump himself, not necessarily the (Alabama) base. Remember, this is the same electorate that voted for Moore despite Trump's endorsement of & rallying for Strange.

But Trump never really hated Moore. He just felt that Strange was the safer pick. His opposition to Moore was strategic, his opposition to Sessions personal.
coolface1572
« Reply #512 on: November 06, 2019, 08:12:17 PM »

If Moore wins the nomination, he has a serious chance.

Literally anyone else and he loses.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #513 on: November 06, 2019, 08:15:34 PM »
« Edited: November 06, 2019, 08:20:59 PM by Yellowhammer »

To Alabamians or Alabama experts: Who comes out of this tug of war unscathed?  Does Moore pull off a miracle?  Do the denizens of Alabama forgive Sessions for his role in Mueller?  Or are we getting Byrne or Tuberville?

There's no chance of Moore even making it to the runoff, so he's pretty much a non-factor right now, except when it comes to who he is pulling support from (probably mostly Tuberville).
I feel like Byrne and Merrill have the most to lose from Sessions getting in, as Tuberville's base is pretty inflexible. His supporters are mostly hardcore Trump drones who will vote as the dear leader commands. And also folks who just reflexively, unthinkingly vote for the candidate with the least political history because "muh career politicians."
I expect Merrill's campaign to really decline now, as he no longer really has a viable niche to exploit in the race.
Unfortunately, the most hardcore elements of the R base here now despise Sessions. Crossing Trump in any way, or even simply failing to kiss the ring enthusiastically enough, are mortal sins to them. Sessions did not act as Trump's fixer, and now they hate him for it --despite his decades of dedicated service to our State. I strongly doubt that Sessions will be able to win the primary, but I'll still support him.
The clearest loser is Jones. He had no chance yesterday, and he has no chance today. Whichever of Tuberville, Sessions, or Byrne advances to the general is irrelevant, because Jones will lose no matter what -- simple as that.

If I had to guess who the nominee would be today, I'd say Tuberville. Unfortunate that our next senator may a carpetbagger.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #514 on: November 07, 2019, 03:17:03 AM »

So, so far we have:

-A Congressman
-A Secretary of State
-A former Senator
-The guy accused of being a pedophile who blew the previous race
-A total outsider who's leading in the polls.

Yes, this will be fun.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #515 on: November 07, 2019, 03:22:41 AM »

What? Mr. Sessions is in? It would be funny if Mr. Trump goes after him.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #516 on: November 07, 2019, 09:08:56 AM »

It'll be interesting if Sessions wins the primary how Trump reacts after calling him a "terrible AG" and all that.   
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #517 on: November 07, 2019, 09:14:15 AM »

So, so far we have:

-A Congressman
-A Secretary of State
-A former Senator
-The guy accused of being a pedophile who blew the previous race
-A total outsider who's leading in the polls.

Yes, this will be fun.

Doug Jones's best chance is the circular firing squad of the AL-GOP. Of course, he'll almost certainly still lose anyway.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #518 on: November 07, 2019, 12:30:58 PM »

Hopefully the Turtle can exert some pressure on Trump to reconsider his harsh position against Sessions.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #519 on: November 07, 2019, 12:38:17 PM »

The thing with Sessions is that he may have burnt too many bridges with the GOP. We all saw what happened with Jeff Flake and Bob Corker.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #520 on: November 07, 2019, 01:00:06 PM »

The thing with Sessions is that he may have burnt too many bridges with the GOP. We all saw what happened with Jeff Flake and Bob Corker.

And Sessions didn’t even turn on Trump- Trump turned on him.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #521 on: November 07, 2019, 03:39:33 PM »

Hopefully the Turtle can exert some pressure on Trump to reconsider his harsh position against Sessions.

McConnell would probably prefer Byrne as a colleague.  Byrne will be Trump's nominal pick (like Strange was in 2017).
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #522 on: November 07, 2019, 07:20:48 PM »

McConnell would probably prefer Byrne as a colleague.  Byrne will be Trump's nominal pick (like Strange was in 2017).

I suspect McConnell has been one of the people pushing for Sessions to jump in -- just a hunch. I know that Shelby will probably be on board with him, too.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #523 on: November 07, 2019, 07:26:54 PM »

McConnell would probably prefer Byrne as a colleague.  Byrne will be Trump's nominal pick (like Strange was in 2017).

I suspect McConnell has been one of the people pushing for Sessions to jump in -- just a hunch. I know that Shelby will probably be on board with him, too.

Even if Sessions returns, he'll essentially be a freshman again. Giving up your congressional seat for a post in Trump's administration is perhaps the unwisest career choice ever.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #524 on: November 07, 2019, 07:27:11 PM »

Is it possible Sessions splits the "typical conservative" vote with Byrne and Merrill, thus allowing for a Moore vs. Tuberville runoff?
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 29  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies