Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 05:20:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 74
Author Topic: Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 137668 times)
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: April 14, 2019, 06:48:43 PM »

Well rightly or wrongly, I think a Democratic ticket with two white males would be a difficult sell to the party. Perhaps Buttigieg's homosexuality would mitigate that somewhat, but in a historically diverse field like this I think diversity of the ticket has to be a factor the eventual nominee considers when making their choice.
That's what I'm referring to.  Some black, Latino, and young female voters would stay home due to Pete and Beto's identities as opposed to their politics.
There’s nothing to substantiate this. Black and Latino voters have come out for white male tickets even when said white males treated their issues like after thoughts time and time again. If anything white voters are the ones who vote against identities even when a candidate’s politics benefit them.

The Vice President doesn’t even really do anything. There’s no reason that it has to be O’Rourke or Buttigieg. There’s nothing wrong with choosing someone from a group that votes overwhelmingly for Democrats.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #176 on: April 14, 2019, 06:49:23 PM »

I thought it was a good speech, that confirmed my original positive impression of Buttigieg. I am so happy for the gay people who have said today meant something to them.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #177 on: April 14, 2019, 07:09:53 PM »

No offense, but we don't need blue or yellow avatars to tell us whether our ticket is "diverse enough" or not.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #178 on: April 14, 2019, 08:51:15 PM »

Pete has been pulling my attention more and more, and it helps that I identify with him in many ways. If he keeps this up, I might just support his campaign all the way.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #179 on: April 14, 2019, 10:49:41 PM »

Beto is an identity politics candidate, at least as much as Kamala. Yuppies and tech bros are identity groups too.

This this this this this
SCNCmod

« Reply #180 on: April 15, 2019, 08:28:13 AM »
« Edited: April 15, 2019, 09:46:52 AM by SCNCmod »

Beto is an identity politics candidate, at least as much as Kamala. Yuppies and tech bros are identity groups too.

This this this this this

Beto is hurt more than helped by identity politics.  Beto has gained buzz the past year due to his X-Factor ability to connect with voters on the ground.  ... Not because he is a white male or because of media attention.  In fact, the media was very late to the story- and has been fairly negative towards him during the presidential nomination process thus far.

I like Pete- but it funny that Beto got so much criticism for "platitudes" and lack of policy details ... and Pete is saying part of his strategy is "platitudes" over too many policy specifics ... and is getting none of the pushback that Beto received. (which was BS to begin with- listen to any in depth convo with Beto and it is clear he is extremely knowledgeable regarding the details of practically any policy topic).  And I actually think it is smart for Beto & Pete to hit the high points of Policy Goals (at least for now) rather than exact details that must be followed to reach said goals.

BTW- I would be a little bitter today if I were part of the Booker or Swalwell campaigns.  Pete is getting wall to wall coverage to the point most media channels barely even mention the other two announcements from the weekend. (granted I'm not sure how much news I consider the Swalwell announcement to be... but certainly Booker deserves a bit more coverage than he has received.  Booker's chances are slim... but, if he were to pull a surprise win in SC- which isn't outside the realm of possibilities- he could at least be in the campaign for a while).
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #181 on: April 15, 2019, 08:48:29 AM »

Spiffy
United States

« Reply #182 on: April 15, 2019, 10:19:14 AM »

I’ve read that so far he’s only had a burn rate of about 10%. That might change now that he’s gaining traction.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #183 on: April 15, 2019, 07:53:19 PM »

An obvious problem with attacking Pence on these issues is that risks a silent admission that Donald Trump is the most pro-LGB Republican president in history, in a way that wasn't even imaginable as recently as 2012.

There is a really, really, really low bar for that. And having Pence as his VP is a pretty bad mark against Trump on its own.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #184 on: April 16, 2019, 09:05:20 AM »

Pete not only rising fast in the polls, but also in the betting markets:

https://theweek.com/speedreads/835346/bettors-are-giving-pete-buttigieg-same-2020-primary-odds-bernie-sanders-joe-biden
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #185 on: April 16, 2019, 10:11:43 AM »

I've had a number of people in my online social circles make passionate and detailed calls for people to consider Pete. He may be the dark horse in this race.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #186 on: April 16, 2019, 12:34:07 PM »

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #187 on: April 16, 2019, 01:55:56 PM »

I have to admit, that "Pete" is making me take another look at this guy.
His interviews and his responses have been eloquent and professional.
Not sure how far he will get to be the Dem candidate .... but maybe a VP candidate (possibly)?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #188 on: April 16, 2019, 03:52:33 PM »

Buttigieg speaking makes Obama look like a bumbling idiot, and Obama is still one of the most articulate political leaders.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #189 on: April 16, 2019, 04:04:40 PM »

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/16/media/buttigieg-fox-news/index.html
Buttigieg campaign in talks with Fox News to host televised town hall

Democratic presidential candidate Pete Buttigieg is in talks to hold a televised town hall on Fox News, a campaign spokesperson told CNN on Tuesday.

The news, which was first reported by The Hill, comes one day after Sen. Bernie Sanders, who is also running for the Democratic nomination, held a town hall on the network on Monday night.

A Fox News spokesperson did not respond to a request for comment Tuesday afternoon.
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #190 on: April 16, 2019, 04:05:48 PM »

Nice, time for #Woke Resistance Twitter to cancel him too. LMAO.  I'm starting to really like Pete now.
Thatkat04
« Reply #191 on: April 16, 2019, 04:10:06 PM »

Nice, time for #Woke Resistance Twitter to cancel him too. LMAO.  I'm starting to really like Pete now.

Bernie literally just did the same exact thing.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #192 on: April 16, 2019, 04:11:43 PM »

Buttigieg speaking makes Obama look like a bumbling idiot, and Obama is still one of the most articulate political leaders.

The more I hear, the more I like. Smiley
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #193 on: April 16, 2019, 04:15:03 PM »

Not surprised. He’s been throwing Hillary under the bus and infantilizing Trump voters for a couple weeks now.
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #194 on: April 16, 2019, 04:17:58 PM »

Bernie literally just did the same exact thing.

It was a great idea for Bernie, and it's a good one for Pete, too.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #195 on: April 16, 2019, 04:20:50 PM »

My allegiance is shifting, this might be the thing that brings me into Pete's camp.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #196 on: April 16, 2019, 04:21:02 PM »

Not good.
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #197 on: April 16, 2019, 04:23:39 PM »

Not surprised. He’s been throwing Hillary under the bus and infantilizing Trump voters for a couple weeks now.
Considering Hillary had no issue throwing people under the bus in her "What Happened" book, it's fair goose for the gander. 
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #198 on: April 16, 2019, 04:31:05 PM »

Good to hear, I don't really see a downside for him for this. At least not that cancels out the upsides. Sanders seems to have gotten positive press from his, and a semi-viral moment where 90% or so of the audience supported medicare for all to the shock of the hosts.

I expect the dam will break sooner or later and most candidates will do one.  I can't see Biden turning one down, for instance, and when you have the (arguably) three frontrunners participating it may get harder to say no.

Also, maybe remove the sirens. I legitimately thought he was engulfed in some scandal from seeing only part of the title. Tongue
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #199 on: April 16, 2019, 04:37:13 PM »

He should be throwing her under the bus, considering she managed to lose to Donald Trump...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies