Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 08:00:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 74
Author Topic: Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 138207 times)
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: April 16, 2019, 04:37:55 PM »

How will the anti-Bernie clan on Atlas respond if Beto or Harris does a Fox town hall, I wonder...
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #201 on: April 16, 2019, 04:41:14 PM »

Also, maybe remove the sirens. I legitimately thought he was engulfed in some scandal from seeing only part of the title. Tongue

It is a huuuuuge scandal according to some Bernie haters  Pacman
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #202 on: April 16, 2019, 04:42:29 PM »

Also, maybe remove the sirens. I legitimately thought he was engulfed in some scandal from seeing only part of the title. Tongue

It is a huuuuuge scandal according to some Bernie haters  Pacman

It's like some on Atlas can't imagine their neoliberal sacred cows have little competition on their hands. 
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #203 on: April 16, 2019, 05:49:07 PM »

I have to admit, that "Pete" is making me take another look at this guy.
His interviews and his responses have been eloquent and professional.
Not sure how far he will get to be the Dem candidate .... but maybe a VP candidate (possibly)?

The Pence/Buttigeig debates would be epic!
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #204 on: April 16, 2019, 05:53:31 PM »

I have to admit, that "Pete" is making me take another look at this guy.
His interviews and his responses have been eloquent and professional.
Not sure how far he will get to be the Dem candidate .... but maybe a VP candidate (possibly)?

The Pence/Buttigeig debates would be epic!

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #205 on: April 16, 2019, 08:05:37 PM »

I've come around to this since Sanders' town hall. More Democrats should take the fight to this propaganda network. I still don't think having them moderate a Democratic primary debate would be as positive though.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #206 on: April 16, 2019, 08:12:06 PM »

Buttigieg is getting traction because 1) he, like Trump, is showing up EVERYWHERE in media and therefore is reaching many more "average voters" and 2) he's good at doing it, so it's harder to sucker him into gotchas, meaning that those appearances have little downside.

Given those two, of course it makes sense to appear on Fox. They might try to trap him, and that's a real risk, but given how good he is at not getting trapped, the potential upside is much larger than the risk.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #207 on: April 16, 2019, 08:16:59 PM »

My allegiance is shifting, this might be the thing that brings me into Pete's camp.

Same. How are we both on the same political wavelength? lol
Lourdes
United States

« Reply #208 on: April 16, 2019, 09:53:24 PM »

Thatkat04
« Reply #209 on: April 16, 2019, 10:08:33 PM »

Based on what little polling data we have so far, Buttigieg's niche is wealthy white liberals.

Makes sense. Obama gained traction with this group first too. Some of you might not remember, but there was a small controversy when Michelle Obama openly questioning why Hillary was leading with black voters and not her husband. At that point in the primary, Hillary was doing much better with every demographic besides white college educated liberals.

John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #210 on: April 16, 2019, 10:29:43 PM »

If it weren't for the fact that the identity politics wing of the base would be bitter and salty over it, I think O'Rourke/Buttigieg or Buttigieg/O'Rourke would make a superb ticket.
Please stop perpetuating this awful term created to silence the opinions of historically marginalized groups. All politics revolve around identity.

You are, pound for pound, the most ridiculous poster on this site. People criticize identity politics because, when taken to its logical conclusion, it argues that people's political opinions should be determined at birth. If your immutable characteristics-- race, gender, sexual orientation, ethnic/national background-- are the prime motive behind your politics, you are effectively surrendering your agency as a decision-making individual to random circumstance and the situation of your birth. It completely devalues a person's ability to decide things for themselves. So please stop perpetuating this awful worldview created to constrain the ability of free-thinking people to make choices for themselves. All politics should revolve around ideas, not identity.
TWTown
GhostOfHuey
United States

« Reply #211 on: April 16, 2019, 10:40:33 PM »

This is a good move and not only because of the publicity but also because it will also allow more voters to be familiarised with Democratic candidates.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #212 on: April 16, 2019, 10:43:45 PM »

#FollowtheBern
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #213 on: April 16, 2019, 10:46:52 PM »

Based on what little polling data we have so far, Buttigieg's niche is wealthy white liberals.

Surely when they learn about how he'll bulldoze their neighborhood, minorities will flock to him.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #214 on: April 16, 2019, 10:46:57 PM »

There are so many reasons why Democratic candidates should be milking this network for every ounce of publicity (and to avoid rambling, I won't necessarily break it down here). As long as the candidate(s) are prepared for the tinged questions that get thrown their way, there's nothing but upside to be had. I thought this before the Sanders town hall, and I certainly think it now.

As one example, Democrats have been effectively boycotting Fox for so long that any Democrat who dares go on there is going to get a plethora of coverage just due to the act itself.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #215 on: April 16, 2019, 10:47:52 PM »

If it weren't for the fact that the identity politics wing of the base would be bitter and salty over it, I think O'Rourke/Buttigieg or Buttigieg/O'Rourke would make a superb ticket.
Please stop perpetuating this awful term created to silence the opinions of historically marginalized groups. All politics revolve around identity.

You are, pound for pound, the most ridiculous poster on this site. People criticize identity politics because, when taken to its logical conclusion, it argues that people's political opinions should be determined at birth. If your immutable characteristics-- race, gender, sexual orientation, ethnic/national background-- are the prime motive behind your politics, you are effectively surrendering your agency as a decision-making individual to random circumstance and the situation of your birth. It completely devalues a person's ability to decide things for themselves. So please stop perpetuating this awful worldview created to constrain the ability of free-thinking people to make choices for themselves. All politics should revolve around ideas, not identity.

He was implying that white, male, straight, Anglo voters also largely vote based on identity. It only becomes labeled as "identity politics" when non-white males do it, and it's used as a way of de-legitimizing conflicting viewpoints.

For that matter, identity isn't even restricted to "immutable characteristics". I am an intellectual (bad jokes incoming) and I support Elizabeth Warren largely because I identify with her most as an ambitious policy wonk.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #216 on: April 16, 2019, 11:20:03 PM »

Surely when they learn about how he'll bulldoze their neighborhood, minorities will flock to him.

Lol. The alarms in the Bernie or Bust camp are raised!
Thatkat04
« Reply #217 on: April 16, 2019, 11:44:08 PM »

Lol. The alarms in the Bernie or Bust camp are raised!

Ive seen this same line of attack from multiple Sanders supporters. Weird. Easy enough to defend against though.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #218 on: April 17, 2019, 02:02:03 AM »

There are so many reasons why Democratic candidates should be milking this network for every ounce of publicity (and to avoid rambling, I won't necessarily break it down here). As long as the candidate(s) are prepared for the tinged questions that get thrown their way, there's nothing but upside to be had. I thought this before the Sanders town hall, and I certainly think it now.

As one example, Democrats have been effectively boycotting Fox for so long that any Democrat who dares go on there is going to get a plethora of coverage just due to the act itself.

Its actually similar to what Trump did both in terms of going on MSNBC/CNN and also campaigning in places like Vermont and Massachusetts.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #219 on: April 17, 2019, 02:08:04 AM »

This is a good move and not only because of the publicity but also because it will also allow more voters to be familiarised with Democratic candidates.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #220 on: April 17, 2019, 05:36:45 AM »
« Edited: April 17, 2019, 05:41:25 AM by Confused Democrat »

Buttigieg in Des Moines: 1,600 attend rally planned for 50 people

Pete will continue campaigning in Marshalltown IA today and will be in Plymouth NH on the 19th.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #221 on: April 17, 2019, 05:48:03 AM »

Makes sense. Obama gained traction with this group first too. Some of you might not remember, but there was a small controversy when Michelle Obama openly questioning why Hillary was leading with black voters and not her husband. At that point in the primary, Hillary was doing much better with every demographic besides white college educated liberals.

They also tend to be a leading indicator in primaries as the group most tuned in to politics generally so likeliest to have heard of candidates with low name-rec, etc.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #222 on: April 17, 2019, 05:49:11 AM »

Buttigieg is getting traction because 1) he, like Trump, is showing up EVERYWHERE in media and therefore is reaching many more "average voters" and 2) he's good at doing it, so it's harder to sucker him into gotchas, meaning that those appearances have little downside.

Given those two, of course it makes sense to appear on Fox. They might try to trap him, and that's a real risk, but given how good he is at not getting trapped, the potential upside is much larger than the risk.

He's not necessarily good at it, the reason he's doing so many appearances is because he knows he's going to get softball questions. No one is hitting him on anything he did as Mayor in Indiana. Every other candidate has a more substantial career and things in their past (for better or for worse) to question them on and hit them on. Nobody has really dug into Pete's past so all he has to do is answer basic questions. It's easy to do a lot of interviews when your getting simple and easy questions.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #223 on: April 17, 2019, 06:27:32 AM »

= journalists + loud on Twitter. It will certainly not hurt you to have them on your side.
SCNCmod

« Reply #224 on: April 17, 2019, 07:11:06 AM »

I don't think Pete will end up finishing in the Top 3, But...

...I do think when the Primaries are finished, Pete will have earned himself a top cabinet position- which after 2 years will be a perfect launching block for him to run for Governor (or move into a UN Ambassador or Major Country Ambassador)

... any of which would set him up to be one of the favorites in the 2028 Presidential Primary (seeing as 8 years from now he will be 45 years old).
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies