Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 24, 2024, 08:47:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 216 217 218 [219] 220 221 222 223 224 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 367914 times)
PeteB
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5450 on: August 05, 2020, 04:03:04 PM »

According to David Gergen on CNN, the Biden campaign is asking these three questions from the final candidates:

Will this nominee be good at the job?
Will she get along well with Biden?
Will she be an asset or a liability in the campaign?

So looking at the two presumptive finalists, here are my comments:

Harris
Will this nominee be good at the job? Yes
Will she get along well with Biden? Questionable - could potentially be a dealbreaker for Biden.
Will she be an asset or a liability in the campaign? Mostly an asset.

Rice
Will she get along well with Biden? Yes
Will she be an asset or a liability in the campaign? A major liability!

The Harris negatives could be an inconvenience when governing, but the Rice negatives would be an inconvenience in the campaign and could cost the Dems the election.

So the conclusion is clear - unless Biden persuades Michelle Obama to join him, at the last minute, it will be a Biden/Harris ticket!

A major liability as in the ability to swing the election?  Majorly doubt it.

A major liability as in:

1. Presenting a 1-2 week Benghazi media distraction, possibly knocking Biden off his message.

2. Reminding swing voters of past issues with the Democratic administrations,  that made them choose Trump, as the lesser of two evils.

3. Presenting the GOP with numerous attack and talking points throughout the campaign.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #5451 on: August 05, 2020, 04:06:46 PM »

According to David Gergen on CNN, the Biden campaign is asking these three questions from the final candidates:

Will this nominee be good at the job?
Will she get along well with Biden?
Will she be an asset or a liability in the campaign?

So looking at the two presumptive finalists, here are my comments:

Harris
Will she get along well with Biden? Questionable - could potentially be a dealbreaker for Biden.
Will she be an asset or a liability in the campaign? Mostly an asset.

Rice
Will she get along well with Biden? Yes
Will she be an asset or a liability in the campaign? A major liability!

The Harris negatives could be an inconvenience when governing, but the Rice negatives would be an inconvenience in the campaign and could cost the Dems the election.

So the conclusion is clear - unless Biden persuades Michelle Obama to join him, at the last minute, it will be a Biden/Harris ticket!

A major liability as in the ability to swing the election?  Majorly doubt it.

A major liability as in:

1. Presenting a 1-2 week Benghazi media distraction, possibly knocking Biden off his message.

2. Reminding swing voters of past issues with the Democratic administrations,  that made them choose Trump, as the lesser of two evils.

3. Presenting the GOP with numerous attack and talking points throughout the campaign.

I think it's much more likely it gets Trump off message than Biden (as much of a message Trump really has...I'll just go with attacking Biden being his message at this point, even though it really isn't one).

I really doubt it was problems with Obama's administration that made people vote for Trump.  Party fatigue, sure, but not specific problems they had with Obama's administration.  Also, Biden was his VP...don't think he's ever going to distance himself from the Obama administration, even if that was a good idea.

They'll attack anyone regardless.  It's more whether the attack lands or not.
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #5452 on: August 05, 2020, 04:12:14 PM »

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #5453 on: August 05, 2020, 04:41:54 PM »

The gap between Warren's polling and her odds is just remarkable. The public sees her remarkable intelligence, accomplishments, and experience.

Judging from the polling, the same for Harris.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #5454 on: August 05, 2020, 04:56:42 PM »

Warren is still the best pick

Alas she will not be picked
randomusername

« Reply #5455 on: August 05, 2020, 05:07:18 PM »

Does anyone actually know Susan Rice's views outside of foreign policy?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5456 on: August 05, 2020, 05:10:16 PM »

brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5457 on: August 05, 2020, 05:12:50 PM »

I can't imagine her domestic positions are any different than those of a generic Democrat (given that, once upon a time, she was inclined to challenge Susan Collins).
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #5458 on: August 05, 2020, 05:25:27 PM »

I can't help but still wonder if these options are not just Harris vs Rice. I still believe Biden could do a third option next week that surprises some.
indietraveler

« Reply #5459 on: August 05, 2020, 05:36:53 PM »

How much of a chance that the "final" two choices are a distraction and that there are still others being considered? Out of these two Harris is the obvious choice.

Also, the Yougov poll showing non-Biden voters choosing him if he chooses Warren also has to ask the opposite question to give a complete picture. Of Biden voters/lean Biden voters, who would NOT vote for Biden based on _______. The one with the best net total is the winner if that's how some want to measure it. They did ask the question broadly but not specifically on who, unless it was somewhere else in the poll and I missed it.
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #5460 on: August 05, 2020, 05:39:09 PM »

Apparently Sen. Harris missed the Senate Juduciary Hearing today..
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #5461 on: August 05, 2020, 05:40:27 PM »

How much of a chance that the "final" two choices are a distraction and that there are still others being considered? Out of these two Harris is the obvious choice.

Also, the Yougov poll showing non-Biden voters choosing him if he chooses Warren also has to ask the opposite question to give a complete picture. Of Biden voters/lean Biden voters, who would NOT vote for Biden based on _______. The one with the best net total is the winner if that's how some want to measure it. They did ask the question broadly but not specifically on who, unless it was somewhere else in the poll and I missed it.

Not to mention the sample size for the last question was like 60 people.
randomusername

« Reply #5462 on: August 05, 2020, 05:45:54 PM »

I can't imagine her domestic positions are any different than those of a generic Democrat (given that, once upon a time, she was inclined to challenge Susan Collins).

I mean she did think about it, but that's not the same as actually running. Without running and having an official platform it leaves a lot of ambiguity. I believe somewhere earlier in this thread she supported compulsory national service, now that I think about it.
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5463 on: August 05, 2020, 06:39:59 PM »

Soon.

They not like us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #5464 on: August 05, 2020, 06:43:09 PM »

This rules.
randomusername

« Reply #5465 on: August 05, 2020, 06:47:42 PM »

Yates is too old, she would be a horrible pick

She's 59.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #5466 on: August 05, 2020, 06:58:01 PM »

This rules.

Lol! Can Joe become President already!
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #5467 on: August 05, 2020, 07:36:13 PM »

There are valid criticisms of Rice, but the point that her son being conservative would somehow be a liability is silly. Everyone has family members they disagree with politically.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5468 on: August 05, 2020, 08:15:05 PM »

I don't support Rice for VP, but the notion that somehow Benghazi would be a devastating attack is ridiculous. All it would do is open up more opportunities for Democrats to point out that 150,000 is greater than 4. Trump really doesn't want to remind voters of a time when the worst scandal Washington had to worry about was Benghazi.

In general people have positive memories of the Obama administration.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #5469 on: August 05, 2020, 08:23:25 PM »

I don't support Rice for VP, but the notion that somehow Benghazi would be a devastating attack is ridiculous. All it would do is open up more opportunities for Democrats to point out that 150,000 is greater than 4. Trump really doesn't want to remind voters of a time when the worst scandal Washington had to worry about was Benghazi.

Yeah, the don't pick Rice because of Benghazi line is bizarre to me, same with the unmasking stuff. Who will care other than partisan Republican voters?
redjohn
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #5470 on: August 05, 2020, 08:36:48 PM »

Yeah, the don't pick Rice because of Benghazi line is bizarre to me, same with the unmasking stuff. Who will care other than partisan Republican voters?

My guess is that it's avoiding an obvious attack that, while probably not effective, would be extremely annoying.

However, they are going to get this with literally anyone they pick.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5471 on: August 05, 2020, 08:44:30 PM »

Couldn't find anything veepstakes related, but, Biden's website has been redesigned; and it looks like Battle for the Soul of the Nation is the slogan he's going with this year.

joebiden.com
Pulaski

« Reply #5472 on: August 05, 2020, 08:49:28 PM »
« Edited: August 05, 2020, 08:59:27 PM by Pulaski »

I would have thought the big concern with Rice, rather than the Benghazi angle (which would only galvanise staunch Rs) is her lack of electoral history. If she's someone that Biden wants to potentially pass the mantle to, not having proved her ability to campaign and win an election in her own right is surely a worry. I know supposedly it's all about ~ability to govern~ but there are many, many roles, both in and out of cabinet, that ensure she's in the inner ring without being VP.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5473 on: August 05, 2020, 08:54:59 PM »

I would have the big concern with Rice, rather than the Benghazi angle (which would only galvanise staunch Rs) is her lack of electoral history. If she's someone that Biden wants to potentially pass the mantle to, not having proved her ability to campaign and win an election in her own right is surely a worry. I know supposedly it's all about ~ability to govern~ but there are many, many roles, both in and out of cabinet, that ensure she's in the inner ring without being VP.
The VP is also someone who is going to have to be a fundraiser and surrogate for the 2022 midterms on Day One. Rice isn’t up to that grueling of a schedule as well as helping sell the POTUS’ policies and dealing with a potentially obstructionist Senate. I don’t see how it’s a contest between Harris and Rice. I don’t care about her foreign policy experience there are a million roles where she can provide that experience.
Pulaski

« Reply #5474 on: August 05, 2020, 09:00:56 PM »

I would have the big concern with Rice, rather than the Benghazi angle (which would only galvanise staunch Rs) is her lack of electoral history. If she's someone that Biden wants to potentially pass the mantle to, not having proved her ability to campaign and win an election in her own right is surely a worry. I know supposedly it's all about ~ability to govern~ but there are many, many roles, both in and out of cabinet, that ensure she's in the inner ring without being VP.
The VP is also someone who is going to have to be a fundraiser and surrogate for the 2022 midterms on Day One. Rice isn’t up to that grueling of a schedule as well as helping sell the POTUS’ policies and dealing with a potentially obstructionist Senate. I don’t see how it’s a contest between Harris and Rice. I don’t care about her foreign policy experience there are a million roles where she can provide that experience.

I wouldn't go that far. She may be, for all I know. But a lack of experience doing so would weigh heavily on Biden's mind, I would have thought.
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 216 217 218 [219] 220 221 222 223 224 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies