Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 19, 2024, 02:20:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 219 220 221 [222] 223 224 225 226 227 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 366905 times)
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5525 on: August 06, 2020, 02:16:43 PM »

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/gov-gretchen-whitmer-remains-biden-s-list-running-mate-pick-n1236049

Whitmer getting a late surge and this article looks like Biden is pretty serious about her.

Democrats with knowledge of the process tell NBC News Whitmer did not just re-emerge as a potential vice presidential pick, but had long remained in the top tier for the only person with a vote in the process: Biden himself.

I think Whitmer is a decent option for Biden.  I was more sour on her earlier in the process due to the fact that she hadn't been governor very long, but I think her response to the pandemic and experience in dealing with something of that magnitude has changed the calculation a bit.

I'd absolutely love her as for the second spot, but I'm not sure whether this could backfire in Michigan if she joined the ticket. Of course, there isn't much campaigning that would consume her time rather than to govern, but it may still be an issue. However, I believe she would be the strongest candidate to win in 2024 or 2028.

Yeah, I get that, and I'm concerned about that as well to some extent.  If Biden thinks she's the best one to help him win and govern, though, I think he should still pick her.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #5526 on: August 06, 2020, 02:22:32 PM »

The ticket will not be two white people above the age of 70.

I wouldn't be so definitive if I were you.  It very well might not be, but to rule it out completely at this stage strikes me as unwise.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #5527 on: August 06, 2020, 02:33:23 PM »

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/gov-gretchen-whitmer-remains-biden-s-list-running-mate-pick-n1236049

Whitmer getting a late surge and this article looks like Biden is pretty serious about her.

Democrats with knowledge of the process tell NBC News Whitmer did not just re-emerge as a potential vice presidential pick, but had long remained in the top tier for the only person with a vote in the process: Biden himself.

I think Whitmer is a decent option for Biden.  I was more sour on her earlier in the process due to the fact that she hadn't been governor very long, but I think her response to the pandemic and experience in dealing with something of that magnitude has changed the calculation a bit.

I'd absolutely love her as for the second spot, but I'm not sure whether this could backfire in Michigan if she joined the ticket. Of course, there isn't much campaigning that would consume her time rather than to govern, but it may still be an issue. However, I believe she would be the strongest candidate to win in 2024 or 2028.

Yeah, I get that, and I'm concerned about that as well to some extent.  If Biden thinks she's the best one to help him win and govern, though, I think he should still pick her.

I really think Whitmer would be a great fresh young face to people who is both liberal and moderate enough to appeal to a wide coalition. She is also young enough to stand by in 2024 if Biden wants a second term.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #5528 on: August 06, 2020, 02:38:37 PM »

As if Rice didn't have enough baggage....

Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5529 on: August 06, 2020, 03:01:50 PM »

One of whom pretended to be Native American. In a time where this country is having a major reckoning about race.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #5530 on: August 06, 2020, 03:12:46 PM »

Whoever uses Damascus Tulsi's smears to attack Harris can't call himself a progressive.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #5531 on: August 06, 2020, 03:21:46 PM »

As if Rice didn't have enough baggage....

Her links to Paul Kagame should doom her.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #5532 on: August 06, 2020, 03:53:51 PM »

One of whom pretended to be Native American. In a time where this country is having a major reckoning about race.

She’s from Oklahoma and was born in the 50s... didn’t everyone in that area and time period think they had native ancestry?
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #5533 on: August 06, 2020, 03:58:52 PM »

Oh, how I'd love the rage of a certain Hive if he picked Warren, lmao.

Grow up
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #5534 on: August 06, 2020, 04:07:08 PM »

There are people in this thread that were not going to vote for Biden and is harping on the vice presidential decision so that they can feel good about not voting for Biden.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5535 on: August 06, 2020, 04:07:53 PM »

Oh, how I'd love the rage of a certain Hive if he picked Warren, lmao.

Grow up

Bomster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.13, S: -7.95

P P
« Reply #5536 on: August 06, 2020, 04:16:35 PM »

Honestly it don’t matter who the veep is. Still gonna vote Biden. But it needs to be a good choice to win big.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5537 on: August 06, 2020, 04:18:57 PM »

Honestly it don’t matter who the veep is. Still gonna vote Biden. But it needs to be a good choice to win big.

The veep choice is not going to affect the results very much if at all. In recent history they have almost 0 impact on the final outcome
Bomster
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5538 on: August 06, 2020, 04:19:35 PM »

The veep choice is not going to affect the results very much if at all. In recent history they have almost 0 impact on the final outcome
Palin?
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5539 on: August 06, 2020, 04:25:17 PM »

Palin?

Palin didnt really affect the race much, the economy was tanking and McCain was making unforced errors on the campaign trail
Bomster
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5540 on: August 06, 2020, 04:34:17 PM »

Palin?

Palin didnt really affect the race much, the economy was tanking and McCain was making unforced errors on the campaign trail
Has there ever been a VP pick that mattered?
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5541 on: August 06, 2020, 04:44:10 PM »

Palin?

Has there ever been a VP pick that mattered?

I think Pence was a real help to Trump in terms of shoring up evangelicals. Biden was also a good pick for Obama - the old warhorse to contrast with the relatively inexperienced nominee. And while McCain likely wasn't winning that election anyway, Palin probably cost him a few EVs (Indiana, Nebraska 2nd, North Carolina). Also Lieberman didn't really add anything to Gore's ticket, while Bob Graham would have given him the crucial bump in Florida.
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #5542 on: August 06, 2020, 04:50:53 PM »

Probably tomorrow.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #5543 on: August 06, 2020, 04:56:34 PM »

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/510936-biden-vp-race-is-highly-fluid-days-before-expected-pick

Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, who was seen as a front-runner in the spring but seemed to fade from the spotlight, is still very much in the race, said several sources.

“Joe has always liked her,” one source close to Biden said of Whitmer. “They’re very similar. He can relate to her. It shouldn’t be surprising to anyone that she’s still very much in the mix.”

Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) is also not out of the running and has taken part in the final stages of the process, sources say, and several Democrats say a surprise from Biden is possible. 

Another article mentioning Whitmer. It sounds like she is probably in the final 3 or 4 and if you really believe Biden wanted Klobuchar first, Whitmer is the perfect substitute and unlike Amy has no problem with African-American groups.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #5544 on: August 06, 2020, 05:00:15 PM »

Ugh... Just make the freakin' pick already and lets get to the conventions!
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5545 on: August 06, 2020, 05:01:35 PM »

aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

honestly impressive how it hasn't been leaked already
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #5546 on: August 06, 2020, 05:03:18 PM »

I'm resigned to Susan Rice at this point.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #5547 on: August 06, 2020, 05:07:13 PM »

I'm resigned to Susan Rice at this point.

Honestly, I imagine she's another red herring but I could be wrong. There was a hit piece on her today though.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #5548 on: August 06, 2020, 05:23:30 PM »

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/510936-biden-vp-race-is-highly-fluid-days-before-expected-pick

Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, who was seen as a front-runner in the spring but seemed to fade from the spotlight, is still very much in the race, said several sources.

“Joe has always liked her,” one source close to Biden said of Whitmer. “They’re very similar. He can relate to her. It shouldn’t be surprising to anyone that she’s still very much in the mix.”

Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) is also not out of the running and has taken part in the final stages of the process, sources say, and several Democrats say a surprise from Biden is possible. 

Another article mentioning Whitmer. It sounds like she is probably in the final 3 or 4 and if you really believe Biden wanted Klobuchar first, Whitmer is the perfect substitute and unlike Amy has no problem with African-American groups.

I think him picking Warren would energize the base from the Progressive Wing and it baits Trump into his stupid nonsense of "Pocahontas" name calling shifting the focus to Trump's glaring insensitivity to everything. Though, I really think Joe needs to suck it up, get over his bad feelings of being offended and pick Kamala Harris. She's a straight F'n shooter. She'll call you out and with his gaffe today which was like WTF dude, she can interject with his team on how he should be handling this stuff. Kamala can be the Joe to Obama for Joe Biden. I'm not sure who on his team has it out for her because she's tough. I'm on the Kamala train right now, because Joe can really screw this whole thing up picking the wrong VP right now, believe me.
They not like us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #5549 on: August 06, 2020, 05:48:58 PM »

What about this makes you think it will be tomorrow?
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 219 220 221 [222] 223 224 225 226 227 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies