Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 02:39:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 183 184 185 [186] 187 188 189 190 191 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 362685 times)
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4625 on: July 29, 2020, 06:53:12 PM »

https://amp.detroitnews.com/amp/5539716002

Whitmer still being vetted. I think if Biden’s true first choice was Klobuchar, this one could gain legs. 
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #4626 on: July 29, 2020, 07:06:58 PM »

Republicans Salivate Over Possibility Joe Biden Might Pick Susan Rice For Vice President

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5f21c21cc5b6b8cd63b1268f
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4627 on: July 29, 2020, 07:09:17 PM »

Whitmer still being vetted. I think if Biden’s true first choice was Klobuchar, this one could gain legs.  

This...is interesting.

She was generally regarded as done by most.

Whitmer PredictIt shares go brrrrrrrrrrr
Sherrod Brown Shill
NerdFighter40351
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -6.43

« Reply #4628 on: July 29, 2020, 07:10:24 PM »

I honestly think that the campaign knows that picking basically the whitest person possible right now is not gonna play well with many.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #4629 on: July 29, 2020, 07:14:45 PM »

Is this wording giving too much away? From an email I got about 90 minutes ago:

Quote from: Joe Biden
This Friday, my good friend Elizabeth Warren and I are hosting a virtual discussion on our plan to win this November.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #4630 on: July 29, 2020, 07:25:20 PM »

That article doesn't say that she's still being vetted. It says she HAS been vetted - which we've known since forever lol.

This Friday, my good friend Elizabeth Warren and I are hosting a virtual discussion on our plan to win this November.
That's literally nothing lol.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4631 on: July 29, 2020, 07:27:20 PM »

He’s not going to announce his VP in July.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #4632 on: July 29, 2020, 07:28:34 PM »
« Edited: July 29, 2020, 07:58:15 PM by Monstro »

He’s not going to announce his VP in July.

Perhaps he's holding the discussion at 9 PM Eastern. It'd be August for me!

I really like Warren and would like her as VP, but I never saw her under serious consideration. I still think she's only been mentioned in vetting reports to placate progressives. There's also a part of me that thinks she'd be more influential as his Treasury Secretary.

With murmurs of Biden already thinking about his prospective cabinet, I'm sure shes getting vetted a lot. But probably not for VP.

Same with Rice & Harris. I believe all three women will get a cabinet position no matter what. Just that one of these women will be VP (Or Duckworth, who I hope is still in the mix). There's actually a part of me that wants Harris as VP solely so that Doug Jones can step into the US Attorney General role. Treasury Sec. Elizabeth Warren, (hopefully) VA Sec. Tammy Duckworth, SoS Susan Rice & AG Doug Jones sounds like a pretty competent lineup to me
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4633 on: July 29, 2020, 07:37:30 PM »
« Edited: July 29, 2020, 10:06:33 PM by Roll Roons »

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/07/29/election-2020-biden-susan-rice-running-mate/

Article on the risks of picking Susan Rice. Not just giving Trump the opportunity to rehash Benghazi, but also never having run for office and baggage from past foreign policy decisions.

This article doesn't mention this, but more than anything, she is just not appealing to swing voters. She is a swamp creature through and through with no real appeal outside the Beltway. Biden (who was CHAIRMAN OF THE SENATE FOREIGN RELATIONS COMMITTEE) doesn't exactly need to appeal to people in Georgetown or Bethesda. Rice is easily the worst possible pick on Biden's shortlist.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #4634 on: July 29, 2020, 07:47:46 PM »

It pisses me off that people are talking about Kamala being too ambitious. Almost every Democratic Vice President in the past 80 years has ran for the Presidency (except Alben W. Barkely):

Henry A. Wallace - ran for the presidency in 1948.

Harry Truman - ran for for a full-term after FDR's death. Would have ran again in 1952 but Korean War soured his approvals.

Lyndon B. Johnson - ran for a full-term after JFK's death. Would have ran again in 1968 but Vietnam War soured his approvals.

Hubert H. Humphrey - ran for the presidency twice (1968 & 1972).

Walter Mondale - ran for the presidency in 1984.

Al Gore - ran for the presidency in 2000 (and in 1988 before becoming the VP).

Joe Biden - ran for the presidency in 2020 (and in 1988 and 2008 before becoming the VP).

Hmmm, I wonder what the difference between Kamala and these 7 men are?

You guys want the people that dislike Kamala to be racist/sexist so bad that you seemed to overlook a super important detail about VP’s that run for President: THEY USUALLY LOSE.

The winner of a competitive and open primary in 2024 is way more likely to (potentially) hold the White House for us than the sitting VP who cleared the field like Gore and Clinton.
swf541

« Reply #4635 on: July 29, 2020, 07:52:55 PM »

It pisses me off that people are talking about Kamala being too ambitious. Almost every Democratic Vice President in the past 80 years has ran for the Presidency (except Alben W. Barkely):

Harry Truman - ran for for a full-term after FDR's death. Would have ran again in 1952 but Korean War soured his approvals.

Lyndon B. Johnson - ran for a full-term after JFK's death. Would have ran again in 1968 but Vietnam War soured his approvals.

Joe Biden - ran for the presidency in 2020 (and in 1988 and 2008 before becoming the VP).

You guys want the people that dislike Kamala to be racist/sexist so bad that you seemed to overlook a super important detail about VP’s that run for President: THEY USUALLY LOSE.

The winner of a competitive and open primary in 2024 is way more likely to (potentially) hold the White House for us than the sitting VP who cleared the field like Gore and Clinton.

To be fair Gore and Humphrey were both screwed over.
and Wallace went weird and barely counts as a Dem after his 48 run as a third party.  On that list LBJ and Truman did win at least.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4636 on: July 29, 2020, 07:58:02 PM »

I think it's safe to say by now that the anti-Harris movement by Dodd and other Biden donors/confidants has backfired. Many women and blacks are pissed and the press took notice.
If Biden picks someone else then the story will be framed not us "Biden picks X" but "Biden shuns Harris". It might not be fair but you can blame these bozos for trying to influence the decision process in such a ham-fisted way.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4637 on: July 29, 2020, 08:02:00 PM »

I think it's safe to say by now that the anti-Harris movement by Dodd and other Biden donors/confidants has backfired. Many women and blacks are pissed and the press took notice.
If Biden picks someone else then the story will be framed not us "Biden picks X" but "Biden shuns Harris". It might not be fair but you can blame these bozos for trying to influence the decision process in such a ham-fisted way.

I think you're putting a little too much stock in how much folks care about Chris Dodd or what he said. Not to mention, I've seen tons more about Susan Rice's prospects in the news than Harris'. I don't think it'll matter much, if it did already
politics_king
United States

« Reply #4638 on: July 29, 2020, 08:03:17 PM »

Kamala Harris is the most well-known VP candidate out there besides Elizabeth Warren. Biden/Harris ticket will work and if they win the election, then her Senate seat will be appointed by Gavin Newsom. I just hope he doesn't give it to Eric Garcetti.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4639 on: July 29, 2020, 08:03:55 PM »

I think you're putting a little too much stock in how much folks care about Chris Dodd or what he said. Not to mention, I've seen tons more about Susan Rice's prospects in the news than Harris'. I don't think it'll matter much, if it did already

I'm not talking about people on the street.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #4640 on: July 29, 2020, 08:13:06 PM »

I think this goes back to one of Harris’s key strengths in this process: she has very, very good intuition about what beltway/establishment types like. Way better than the bozos who tried to coordinate this push against her.

That’s really neither here nor there in a general election. But the VP selection is dominated by consultants and donors and similar political creatures, so right now it’s a big leg up.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #4641 on: July 29, 2020, 08:16:33 PM »

Completely ignoring my point but go off.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4642 on: July 29, 2020, 08:23:32 PM »

Can we all agree nobody wants Abrams?
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #4643 on: July 29, 2020, 08:26:28 PM »

I still want her but I know she’s not gonna get it
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4644 on: July 29, 2020, 08:41:00 PM »

Plot twist: Biden decides to select Hillary as his VP.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4645 on: July 29, 2020, 08:43:17 PM »

This article doesn't mention this, but more than anything, [Rice] is just not appealing to swing voters. She is a swamp creature through and through with no real appeal outside the Beltway. Biden (who was CHAIRMAN OF THE SENATE FOREIGN RELATIONS COMMITTEE) doesn't exactly need to appeal to swing voters in Georgetown or Bethesda. Rice is easily the worst possible pick on Biden's shortlist.
This seems like a silly objection — none of these candidates are exactly superstars. Do you think people "outside the Beltway," outside of their specific states, know who Val Demings or Michelle Lujan Grisham or Keisha Lance Bottoms are? Rice may not have a specific appeal to a particular group of voters, but given that we know that the VP choice is only marginally important, I don't see why this is a particularly persuasive reason to choose a potential president.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4646 on: July 29, 2020, 09:08:26 PM »

I wouldn't mind her.

How bout this: Can we all agree that it doesn't matter who Biden picks because his running mate will have a negligible impact on the race?
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4647 on: July 29, 2020, 09:17:42 PM »

I wouldn't mind her.

How bout this: Can we all agree that it doesn't matter who Biden picks because his running mate will have a negligible impact on the race?

I mean, if we dismiss the likelihood that Biden doesn't run in '24 again, yes. But that and his age make the VP quite meaningful, especially when you allegedly have candidates who want to exploit it as a launch pad.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #4648 on: July 29, 2020, 09:29:38 PM »

This...is interesting.

She was generally regarded as done by most.

Whitmer PredictIt shares go brrrrrrrrrrr

She's one of the better buys in that 3-8 cent range right now. Governor of a big state, handled the pandemic well. I don't think average voters care about the skin color of the VP nearly as much as the activists.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #4649 on: July 29, 2020, 10:02:54 PM »

I wouldn't mind her.

I mean, if we dismiss the likelihood that Biden doesn't run in '24 again, yes. But that and his age make the VP quite meaningful, especially when you allegedly have candidates who want to exploit it as a launch pad.

Do I need to put you on mod review from this thread and/or start formally infracting posts? You are a good poster but you've made nearly 75 posts in this thread the past couple days arguing about Harris and its getting to the point where it will spark side arguments.
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 183 184 185 [186] 187 188 189 190 191 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies