Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 02:28:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 165 166 167 [168] 169 170 171 172 173 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 361621 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4175 on: July 26, 2020, 09:28:30 PM »

Big event tomorrow VP could be announced then possibly
Sara Bareilles would definitely help boost Biden's numbers with young voters. Great VP choice

I'm not sure she would. I'm young and have never heard of her.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4176 on: July 26, 2020, 10:03:12 PM »

It’s 6 days until August 1. Can’t tell if that’s inside information or just him thinking August 1 is the day. 

It seems clear that this is the latter.  If it were really the case that Biden had definitively settled on an Aug. 1st announcement, *and* that his people were openly saying that to peeps like this, then we would have already heard this from other sources as well.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #4177 on: July 26, 2020, 10:07:24 PM »

It’s 6 days until August 1. Can’t tell if that’s inside information or just him thinking August 1 is the day. 

It seems clear that this is the latter.  If it were really the case that Biden had definitively settled on an Aug. 1st announcement, *and* that his people were openly saying that to peeps like this, then we would have already heard this from other sources as well.

Yeah. Saturday also seems like a weird day to do an announcement like this.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4178 on: July 26, 2020, 10:45:42 PM »

He’s not announcing until the week of the convention. We’ve gotten this far. He should let the GOP failing on a relief package continue to the dominate the news tbh.
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #4179 on: July 26, 2020, 10:50:06 PM »

Just got an email from the Campaign. It's coming!!!!!!

The timing of this email has me thinking the announcement is imminent. 1 maybe 2 weeks.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4180 on: July 27, 2020, 12:03:33 AM »

Is it really that horrible a move for Biden to announce on the 1st compared to the 17th/18th?

I'm almost inclined to think that folks don't want Biden to announce his running mate until that person walks towards the podium on the 19th (Which honestly does sound exciting) or the day before the first ballots gets mailed

Agreed. Especially as this year's convention won't be the ordinary convention we're used to seeing.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4181 on: July 27, 2020, 06:03:13 AM »
« Edited: July 27, 2020, 06:08:03 AM by wbrocks67 »

This makes me think it's Harris. I feel like you know when the hit pieces start coming out that she's either a lock or nearly there.

At the same time, though, is this whole thing a joke? Dodd wanted "remorse" from Harris? Her answer was correct - this is politics. Is she supposed to somberly apologize for politics? There's no way these people are this naive??

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/27/kamala-harris-biden-vp-381829
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4182 on: July 27, 2020, 06:08:40 AM »

This makes me think it's Harris. I feel like you know when the hit pieces start coming out that she's either a lock or nearly there.

Harris still appears to be in the pole position for the post: Interviews with more than four dozen elected officials, strategists, former Biden advisers and plugged-in donors said they think Harris is the closest Biden has to a “do no harm” option.

And people in three other competing camps privately said that while their candidates have a shot for VP, Harris is more likely to get the nod.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4183 on: July 27, 2020, 06:18:13 AM »

At the same time, though, is this whole thing a joke? Dodd wanted "remorse" from Harris? Her answer was correct - this is politics. Is she supposed to somberly apologize for politics? There's no way these people are this naive??

I have read elsewhere too that Dodd doesn't like Harris and that he was the one behind the Politico piece that called Bass the anti-Harris.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4184 on: July 27, 2020, 06:29:49 AM »

I have read elsewhere too that Dodd doesn't like Harris and that he was the one behind the Politico piece that called Bass the anti-Harris.

Yeah, clearly the fact that he leaked a part of her interview shows that he's got some vendetta against her. The Bass thing makes sense since he's been trying to elevate her apparently.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4185 on: July 27, 2020, 07:22:04 AM »

Yeah, clearly the fact that he leaked a part of her interview shows that he's got some vendetta against her. The Bass thing makes sense since he's been trying to elevate her apparently.

Biden needs a better pick than Karen Bass. Duckworth and Demings both have good stories but if he doesn’t like them, he really should even be considering MLG and Whitmer.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4186 on: July 27, 2020, 07:38:17 AM »

Here is a more sinister theory: Biden wants to pick Rice. But he knows that Harris is much more popular among the Democratic establishment, and voters. So he tries to undermine her by putting his senate pal Chris Dodd to sh**t-talk her and smooth the way for Rice.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4187 on: July 27, 2020, 07:52:14 AM »

Here is a more sinister theory: Biden wants to pick Rice. But he knows that Harris is much more popular among the Democratic establishment, and voters. So he tries to undermine her by putting his senate pal Chris Dodd to sh**t-talk her and smooth the way for Rice.

If the campaign does place a premium on “do no harm” then Rice would be out automatically
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4188 on: July 27, 2020, 08:07:38 AM »

If the campaign does place a premium on “do no harm” then Rice would be out automatically

This. Rice might even be more harm than Warren, tbh, and that's saying a lot. B/c at least Warren has *some* upsides that can try and counteract the negatives. I really don't see much upside with Rice at all.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4189 on: July 27, 2020, 08:14:08 AM »

Also why is Dodd even leaking discussions? I get he wants to sway things, but does he realize that *any* leaks are going to look terrible on the Biden team in general?
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4190 on: July 27, 2020, 08:17:08 AM »

I believe that Joe Biden said he would pick a VP by August 1st on a news interview or something.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4191 on: July 27, 2020, 08:46:26 AM »

Duckworth out? Are they Abrams-ing her?

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4192 on: July 27, 2020, 09:07:50 AM »

Abrams was never seriously considered by anyone but herself Tongue

That said, it’s certainly possible Biden has decided to pick someone else (which would be a mistake imo).
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4193 on: July 27, 2020, 09:10:32 AM »

This process is beginning to look like it is not terribly sound, bad news if you expect a successful presidency.

It is clear they have red flags with Harris, Biden doesn't really want her.

Rice also has political liabilities, her Benghazi background and Bergdahl comments about him serving with honor and distinction are fodder for the right and do nothing to appeal to the middle. Not to say she is a lifelong insider who won't connect with voters.

Bass is completely untested, favored by the left and just highly risky.

Things are so quiet on Demings you wonder if they are keeping it coy and she is at the top of the pack.

I feel like if Biden isn't truly comfortable with his African-American choices he should just look at Whitmer and Grisham. Both are competent Governors and qualified for the job.

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4194 on: July 27, 2020, 09:17:32 AM »

This process is beginning to look like it is not terribly sound, bad news if you expect a successful presidency.

Rice also has political liabilities, her Benghazi background and Bergdahl comments about him serving with honor and distinction are fodder for the right and do nothing to appeal to the middle. Not to say she is a lifelong insider who won't connect with voters.

Things are so quiet on Demings you wonder if they are keeping it coy and she is at the top of the pack.

I feel like if Biden isn't truly comfortable with his African-American choices he should just look at Whitmer and Grisham. Both are competent Governors and qualified for the job.

Dodd not liking Harris =/= Biden not liking Harris

Demings seems to have fallen off ever since her own POLITICO hit piece.

And since when is Bass favored by the left? I didn't think she was really favored by anybody but Chris Dodd.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4195 on: July 27, 2020, 09:22:33 AM »

And since when is Bass favored by the left? I didn't think she was really favored by anybody but Chris Dodd.

Dodd doesn't seem like the best person to be running this selection, lets be honest.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4196 on: July 27, 2020, 09:24:51 AM »

Dodd doesn't seem like the best person to be running this selection, lets be honest.

Oh I 100% agree. And regardless of who is at his ire, it's really self-defeating for him to be leaking anything about *any* of the candidates right now. If he truly cared about getting Biden elected, he wouldn't be trying to harm him at all. Leaking conversations does just that.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4197 on: July 27, 2020, 09:32:39 AM »

I would have waited longer, symbolism be damned. Biden doesn't need anything about the race to change yet. Adding any kind of unknown comes with some degree of risk.

I don't think it will make a difference in November whether he announces on Aug. 1 or Aug 16. If his VP pick were actually to cause a dip in the polls, she would do so regardless of the announcement date. By election day, nobody would care about the timing of the announcement any longer. It's much more important what pick Biden makes rather than when the selection is introduced.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4198 on: July 27, 2020, 09:34:38 AM »

I would have waited longer, symbolism be damned. Biden doesn't need anything about the race to change yet. Adding any kind of unknown comes with some degree of risk.

I don't think it will make a difference in November whether he announces on Aug. 1 or Aug 16. If his VP pick were actually to cause a dip in the polls, she would do so regardless of the announcement date. By election day, nobody would care about the timing of the announcement any longer. It's much more important what pick Biden makes rather than when the selection is introduced.

Yeah, as long at it's August is all that matters because of the symbolism of the month
Pro-Israel, anti-Bibi
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #4199 on: July 27, 2020, 09:51:24 AM »

Agreed. Chris Dodd should not be involved in any way, given his history of corruption and sexual assault allegations.
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 165 166 167 [168] 169 170 171 172 173 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies