Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 04:21:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 145 146 147 [148] 149 150 151 152 153 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 362577 times)
DisneyDem
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3675 on: July 13, 2020, 11:22:45 AM »

Yes, because I'm sure Joe Biden is very concerned about the editing of a bunch of wikipedia pages.

But when Bernie's supporters tweet mean things at politicians for not supporting medicare for all, that's....? Bad?

No.... but it was bad when his press secretary and other senior level staff said that Senators/other presidential candidates wanted people to die because they didn’t support Methuselah’s plans to a tee.

I just find it particularly hypocritical that half of Bernie's questions at debates were "Senator, your followers tend to be very rude online. Can you please condemn them here tonight?" but when Kamala's followers engage in similar behavior, we're expected to just brush it off.

And look, I think Bernie's followers suck and they're part of the reason I've moderated a little bit in the last few months because they drove me so crazy with all the constant negativity, and I've also been pretty open about the fact that I would be fine with Kamala being chosen as VP, I just want to see the same standard being upheld for toxic supporters in anyone's base. It's either all a problem or none of it is.
His staff were some of the biggest trolls though. They amplified it.

Kamala Harris’s staff is not doxing folks and calling Elizabeth Warren a “lying bitch” for divulging a private conversation between herself and Senator Sanders. 🤷🏿‍♂️
I really I don’t want to pick a fight, and I Forward to when this is all over and we’re on the same side again, But I will just say One of my friends has been The target of a large doxxing campaign on Twitter originated by an account followed by Harris‘s husband. So yes, there is plenty of blame to go around with regard to both Harris and Sanders on this stuff.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3676 on: July 13, 2020, 11:38:14 AM »
« Edited: July 13, 2020, 11:41:50 AM by TiltsAreUnderrated »

At the end of the day, the hypocrisy is best overlooked because the principle of being accountable for one's online supporters was stupid to begin with and it's not worth defending, especially by political outsiders who will always rely on an enthusiastic base. Criticising Harris/Harris surrogates on this basis won't really hurt her candidacy as party elites never cared about it, most of the probable VP alternatives to Harris are worse for the left anyway and they're honestly better off leaving this one in the tank unless and until the 2024 attack line becomes "Abusive AOC Acolytes/Merkley Mercs/Obama Boys."
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #3677 on: July 13, 2020, 01:23:45 PM »

Yes I'm sure the Biden campaign is spending its time having staffers edit Wikipedia pages, of all things.
The Ex-Factor
xfactor99
Viet Nam

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #3678 on: July 13, 2020, 01:37:29 PM »

Some insights into Biden's thinking from Edward-Isaac Dovere, and how it could be Bas (although to be fair, he's written puff pieces about Warren, Susan Rice, Duckworth, and Kamala already)

Now, much to Bass’s—and pretty much everyone else’s—surprise, Biden’s team is taking her seriously as a potential vice-presidential running mate. One theory is that she’s being vetted to help Biden win favor with the Congressional Black Caucus, which she chairs. Another is that Biden is trying to use the process to elevate as many black women as he can. Yet another is that he’s looking to distract people from speculating about some of the more likely choices. But inside the Biden campaign is another consideration: Over the next month, he’s effectively going to decide whether there will be a competitive Democratic primary in 2024 (or maybe 2028, if he wins and tries to serve until he’s 86 years old). He’s the leader of the party now. Will he decide its future by anointing a successor, or pick someone, like Bass, who’s less likely to run for president?

Biden has wanted to be president for almost 40 years. Now that the White House finally seems within reach, he does not want to be outshone, according to people who know him. He wants to win, but he wants the win to be about him, not his running mate.

The Biden campaign has been trying to decide whether to pick a running mate who satisfies the left or one who represents the racial and ethnic diversity of his party, since Biden himself does neither. Here’s where another argument for Bass kicks in: She shows that Biden doesn’t have to choose. Although Bass doesn’t have much of a relationship with Bernie Sanders, she hasn’t attracted the disdain of his most vocal and committed supporters. That helps explain the satisfaction among Bass’s Sanders-aligned House colleagues when she was named the head of the Biden campaign’s Biden-Sanders unity task force on the economy. Several top Sanders allies told me they were eager to see Bass picked—so much so that they wouldn’t go on the record, out of fear that making her look too aligned with the senator from Vermont could backfire and hurt her chances.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/07/karen-bass-joe-biden-running-mate/613975/?utm_medium=social&utm_term=2020-07-13T09%3A00%3A31&utm_campaign=the-atlantic&utm_source=twitter&utm_content=edit-promo
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3679 on: July 13, 2020, 02:10:26 PM »

Why anyone is spending any time on the possibility of it being Rice or Bass is beyond me. It ain't gonna happen.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #3680 on: July 13, 2020, 02:30:03 PM »

Some insights into Biden's thinking from Edward-Isaac Dovere, and how it could be Bas (although to be fair, he's written puff pieces about Warren, Susan Rice, Duckworth, and Kamala already)

Now, much to Bass’s—and pretty much everyone else’s—surprise, Biden’s team is taking her seriously as a potential vice-presidential running mate. One theory is that she’s being vetted to help Biden win favor with the Congressional Black Caucus, which she chairs. Another is that Biden is trying to use the process to elevate as many black women as he can. Yet another is that he’s looking to distract people from speculating about some of the more likely choices. But inside the Biden campaign is another consideration: Over the next month, he’s effectively going to decide whether there will be a competitive Democratic primary in 2024 (or maybe 2028, if he wins and tries to serve until he’s 86 years old). He’s the leader of the party now. Will he decide its future by anointing a successor, or pick someone, like Bass, who’s less likely to run for president?

Biden has wanted to be president for almost 40 years. Now that the White House finally seems within reach, he does not want to be outshone, according to people who know him. He wants to win, but he wants the win to be about him, not his running mate.

The Biden campaign has been trying to decide whether to pick a running mate who satisfies the left or one who represents the racial and ethnic diversity of his party, since Biden himself does neither. Here’s where another argument for Bass kicks in: She shows that Biden doesn’t have to choose. Although Bass doesn’t have much of a relationship with Bernie Sanders, she hasn’t attracted the disdain of his most vocal and committed supporters. That helps explain the satisfaction among Bass’s Sanders-aligned House colleagues when she was named the head of the Biden campaign’s Biden-Sanders unity task force on the economy. Several top Sanders allies told me they were eager to see Bass picked—so much so that they wouldn’t go on the record, out of fear that making her look too aligned with the senator from Vermont could backfire and hurt her chances.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/07/karen-bass-joe-biden-running-mate/613975/?utm_medium=social&utm_term=2020-07-13T09%3A00%3A31&utm_campaign=the-atlantic&utm_source=twitter&utm_content=edit-promo
Honestly, if that is actually Biden's line of thinking then that's pretty stupid.

He's going to be 81-82 in 2024 and I would be very uncomfortable voting to re-elect an octogenarian. This year I'm mostly voting for him just to get rid of Trump. However, once Trump is gone, Biden should just gracefully bow out in 2024.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3681 on: July 13, 2020, 02:31:36 PM »

Yes, because I'm sure Joe Biden is very concerned about the editing of a bunch of wikipedia pages.

But when Bernie's supporters tweet mean things at politicians for not supporting medicare for all, that's....? Bad?

No.... but it was bad when his press secretary and other senior level staff said that Senators/other presidential candidates wanted people to die because they didn’t support Methuselah’s plans to a tee.

I just find it particularly hypocritical that half of Bernie's questions at debates were "Senator, your followers tend to be very rude online. Can you please condemn them here tonight?" but when Kamala's followers engage in similar behavior, we're expected to just brush it off.

And look, I think Bernie's followers suck and they're part of the reason I've moderated a little bit in the last few months because they drove me so crazy with all the constant negativity, and I've also been pretty open about the fact that I would be fine with Kamala being chosen as VP, I just want to see the same standard being upheld for toxic supporters in anyone's base. It's either all a problem or none of it is.

Reminder that PittsburghSteel demanded Bernie personally condemn the Tara Reade allegations because "he could personally put an end to them."

Of course, this ignored the fact that most of the people pushing the Reade case were far beyond Bernie's reach and refused to back our nominee. But Pittsburgh knew all that already. In case his endorsement of Hagrid's attacks on me or him exploiting sexism didn't cue you in, he couldn't care less about civility. He just wants to hurt Bernie and the progressive movement.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #3682 on: July 13, 2020, 02:38:04 PM »

I'm as much of a Kamala critic as anyone on this thread but Biden needs someone who is a stronger VP than Bass. Bass simply is not high profile enough for this job. Duckworth and Demings of course would get initial attention but I think either would stick to the message.
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #3683 on: July 13, 2020, 02:54:00 PM »
« Edited: July 13, 2020, 02:58:18 PM by Da2017 »

The problem with someone like Bass and many of the other picks is after the hype they might falter once the spotlight is turned on them. Not saying it will happen, but it is a possibility.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #3684 on: July 13, 2020, 02:56:50 PM »

Does anyone think Kyrsten Sinema might be dark horse? She's a swing state Senator and fairly charismatic.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3685 on: July 13, 2020, 02:59:34 PM »

No, the Dems can't lose a Senate seat
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3686 on: July 13, 2020, 03:00:48 PM »

Does anyone think Kyrsten Sinema might be dark horse? She's a swing state Senator and fairly charismatic.
No, absolutely not. Her seat would go right to a Republican and also she's to the right of even Biden.

Also, SHE JUST BECAME A SENATOR. LET HER BREATHE A BIT!
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3687 on: July 13, 2020, 03:02:13 PM »

No, absolutely not. Her seat would go right to a Republican and also she's to the right of even Biden.

It actually wouldn't, since Arizona has a same-party appointment law.
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3688 on: July 13, 2020, 03:05:38 PM »

Not enough seasoning. Too conservative to appeal to the democratic bass.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3689 on: July 13, 2020, 03:06:57 PM »

I really I don’t want to pick a fight, and I Forward to when this is all over and we’re on the same side again, But I will just say One of my friends has been The target of a large doxxing campaign on Twitter originated by an account followed by Harris‘s husband. So yes, there is plenty of blame to go around with regard to both Harris and Sanders on this stuff.

For the record, I actually cited this incident recently as part of their toxicity. Absolutely vile stuff, really.

Kamala may not be hiring people like this into her campaign, but her inner circle following this filth is almost as bad.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3690 on: July 13, 2020, 03:12:46 PM »

It actually wouldn't, since Arizona has a same-party appointment law.
Fair enough. However, Doug Ducey would probably appoint a DINO to the seat.

Anyways, the other reasons I mentioned are still valid (from a Dem perspective).
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3691 on: July 13, 2020, 03:14:10 PM »

I'm as much of a Kamala critic as anyone on this thread but Biden needs someone who is a stronger VP than Bass. Bass simply is not high profile enough for this job. Duckworth and Demings of course would get initial attention but I think either would stick to the message.

Being high profile isn't important. Having the necessary experience is and Bass can argue she knows what it takes to work with divided government (see: her cooperation with Schwarznegger during the California budget crisis) and is aware of the workings of Washington (due to her time in Congress and as chair of the CBC). It's not as if she's a freshwoman or an unimportant backbencher.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #3692 on: July 13, 2020, 03:33:08 PM »

Being high profile isn't important. Having the necessary experience is and Bass can argue she knows what it takes to work with divided government (see: her cooperation with Schwarznegger during the California budget crisis) and is aware of the workings of Washington (due to her time in Congress and as chair of the CBC). It's not as if she's a freshwoman or an unimportant backbencher.

I.E the unqualified Demings.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3693 on: July 13, 2020, 04:06:56 PM »

You'll always notice that the people who clutched their pearls over THE BROOOOOOOS!!!!! are the same ones turning a blind eye when it's their wing of the party doing the harassment/bigotry. If Angry Twitter Egg is supporting Bernie, it needs to be condemned, but if Angry Twitter Egg is backing Biden or Harris, it's just random Twitter beef that doesn't matter.

The hypocrisy is truly stunning.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3694 on: July 13, 2020, 04:25:13 PM »

Lujan Grisham would be a good pick if Biden truly is concerned about being overshadowed yet wants a qualified running mate with congressional and executive experience.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3695 on: July 13, 2020, 04:27:49 PM »

No. The leaders of the party need to be mainstream consensus builders. She is too far right and needs to stay in the Senate.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #3696 on: July 13, 2020, 06:25:27 PM »

Election Betting Odds has Kamala at 38%, Susan Rice at 17%, Duckworth at 13% and Demings close to 8%.

They also have the Senate flipping to the Democrats with a 52-48 majority.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3697 on: July 13, 2020, 06:28:42 PM »

Election Betting Odds has Kamala at 38%, Susan Rice at 17%, Duckworth at 13% and Demings close to 8%.

They also have the Senate flipping to the Democrats with a 52-48 majority.

We haven't heard much about Demings lately. I feel like she might be slipping out of contention in favor of Duckworth.
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3698 on: July 13, 2020, 08:14:59 PM »
« Edited: July 13, 2020, 10:20:34 PM by Da2017 »

https://www.c-span.org/video/?473713-2/washington-journal-news-headlines-viewer-calls Segment on who should be Biden's VP pick. Thought it was worth posting. Lot of push for Rice in the first fifteen minutes.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3699 on: July 13, 2020, 09:18:29 PM »

The Harford Courant says Chris Dodd is “first among equals” on the team leading the VP search, because of his long running friendship with Biden:

https://www.courant.com/politics/hc-pol-chris-dodd-biden-vice-president-20200713-ukrephnva5d7bmnls2cgm2mmg4-story.html

The two colleagues have been helping each other for years. In December 2009, Biden attended a fundraiser for Dodd in Hartford when the senator was under attack from opponents and a month before he decided not to seek reelection. Biden praised Dodd, describing him as “the single most gifted legislator in Congress now that Teddy Kennedy’s gone.”

He called Dodd his best friend, noting that Dodd was facing mediocre poll numbers at the time amid constant attacks from Republicans as “Dump Dodd” became a common refrain in Connecticut. Dodd had played a key role as leader of the Dodd-Frank legislation on the Senate Banking Committee and in crafting the Affordable Care Act.

“Chris is getting the living hell beat out of him, the living bejesus beat out of him,” Biden said at the Hartford fundraiser. “Why? Because he’s being a leader.”
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 145 146 147 [148] 149 150 151 152 153 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies