Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 01:00:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 143 144 145 [146] 147 148 149 150 151 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 363324 times)
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3625 on: July 11, 2020, 10:42:45 PM »

Being real for a sec?
I cannot, CANNOT, understand how the agreement of the Dems has become "okay so if Biden gets in he'll serve a term then resign and allow his vp to run for their own term"
Like, wtf just vote in the VP instead? Why are there all these extra steps?!

The Democrats aren't saying this.  Just political pundits getting to creative.

Biden is going to serve two terms.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #3626 on: July 11, 2020, 11:30:45 PM »

Being real for a sec?
I cannot, CANNOT, understand how the agreement of the Dems has become "okay so if Biden gets in he'll serve a term then resign and allow his vp to run for their own term"

The Democrats aren't saying this.  Just political pundits getting to creative.

Very, very much doubt this.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3627 on: July 11, 2020, 11:33:16 PM »

Being real for a sec?

The Democrats aren't saying this.  Just political pundits getting to creative.

If Biden wins in 2020, I don't think he would willingly step aside for someone else in 2024. You would be shunting aside a proven winner for someone untested. Democrats would want to retain incumbency advantage as well which means keeping Biden.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3628 on: July 12, 2020, 12:58:07 AM »
« Edited: July 12, 2020, 01:37:09 PM by lfromnj »

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/07/11/demings-vp-police-356573

Probably just a hit piece and fortunately for her its a bit late
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #3629 on: July 12, 2020, 01:01:52 AM »

Being real for a sec?

If Biden wins in 2020, I don't think he would willingly step aside for someone else in 2024. You would be shunting aside a proven winner for someone untested. Democrats would want to retain incumbency advantage as well which means keeping Biden.

I suspect it will come down to how well his VP choice is received and how well she performs in the office. If she demonstrates over the first 2 or 3 years that she's ready to take over, I'd say it's 50/50 whether Biden runs for a second term. If she's Quayle/Cheney/Edwards/Palin 2.0, Biden probably runs again.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #3630 on: July 12, 2020, 01:39:48 AM »

The democratic ticket will NOT be two white septuagenarians. Not in 2020

I really like Warren, but I've never treated her as a serious choice throughout this vetting process. Pretty damn clear he was never gonna pick her, so I don't know why she keeps getting mentioned in these lists/reports other than to appease progressives that she has more than a 1% chance of being picked
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #3631 on: July 12, 2020, 08:38:30 AM »

This seems like a piece that a Harris or Warren person would provide the research for.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3632 on: July 12, 2020, 08:43:30 AM »

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/12/tammy-duckworth-vp-contention-357234

Top story on Politico right now is all about Duckworth, focusing on her being a veteran and the clash with Tucker Carlson.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #3633 on: July 12, 2020, 09:41:46 AM »

This seems like a piece that a Harris or Warren person would provide the research for.
Why? Because it's bringing up some issues during her tenure as Chief of Police? LOL

I bet you would love it if it was anti-Kamala. You wouldn't even give it a second thought.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3634 on: July 12, 2020, 09:41:57 AM »

It is such a better pick compared to Harris or Warren. She doesn't have the academic background the elites love but her story will resonate with just about every on the fence voter who isn't all in with the Dems on everything.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3635 on: July 12, 2020, 09:57:37 AM »

I'd think less of their political judgement if they didn't run against their rivals. One of the most critical and widespread errors of the 2020 primaries was various candidates assuming Biden would collapse and running primarily against each other instead of him (until it was too late for most of them).
Los Angeles Swag Boss
L.A. Da Boss
Rookie
United States

« Reply #3636 on: July 12, 2020, 10:50:42 AM »

Around or less than 20 days out and the internal Biden team has been pretty quiet for the past week or two.

Would expect it to be between Harris and Warren, especially since they are getting no buzz right now.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3637 on: July 12, 2020, 10:54:22 AM »

Around or less than 20 days out and the internal Biden team has been pretty quiet for the past week or two.

Would expect it to be between Harris and Warren, especially since they are getting no buzz right now.

What does either add to the ticket beyond what voters Biden already has?
Los Angeles Swag Boss
L.A. Da Boss
Rookie
United States

« Reply #3638 on: July 12, 2020, 11:16:45 AM »

I think that the bigger thing is that:

- Biden has a relationship with both of them
- Biden knows that they can battle on a debate stage
- Biden knows that they both bring supporters (email lists, phone numbers, & donors) along with a group of activists who will go to battle for them in a general
- They are both in the Senate and have a lot of connections in the Senate

And most importantly: They both are going through full vet processes that have most likely come back very well since there hasn't been a word that has come out of the Biden internal team about them in the past 3 or so weeks.

They both have benefits. They've both been the front-runners (with Klobuchar before she dropped) and they both will bring some level of votes in. Most importantly, they both can be trusted. I'm sure the Biden team is finishing their vets, having some one-on-one conversations, and talking to their internal team about which one to pick over the next 15 or so days.

What does either add to the ticket beyond what voters Biden already has?
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #3639 on: July 12, 2020, 11:25:59 AM »

Elizabeth Warren is too old and too white. For the ticket to comprise them both, after the most diverse primary field in history...not happening.
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #3640 on: July 12, 2020, 11:30:26 AM »

If he wants to go the Hillary route and (foolishly) bank on the support of Black Americans just because he was O's VP,  then so be it. But representation matters. Hillary learned that the hard way with reduced AfAm support after choosing milquetoast Tim Kaine of all people.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3641 on: July 12, 2020, 11:33:37 AM »

Elizabeth Warren is too old and too white. For the ticket to comprise them both, after the most diverse primary field in history...not happening.

There's a good case for descriptive representation on the ticket, but I'm not sure the primary field's diversity is it. That was mostly led by (in polls) and got winnowed down to a bunch of older white people.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3642 on: July 12, 2020, 12:31:00 PM »

If he wants to go the Hillary route and (foolishly) bank on the support of Black Americans just because he was O's VP,  then so be it. But representation matters. Hillary learned that the hard way with reduced AfAm support after choosing milquetoast Tim Kaine of all people.

It was inevitable for Black turnout and support to decline as Obama wasn't on the ballot. I also doubt Hillary picking Kaine for the ticket significantly hurt her in this area even if he didn't help her much at all.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3643 on: July 12, 2020, 12:35:24 PM »

It was inevitable for Black turnout and support to decline as Obama wasn't on the ballot. I also doubt Hillary picking Kaine for the ticket significantly hurt her in this area even if he didn't help her much at all.

Perhaps, but picking Cory Booker, for example, could have made a critical difference.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #3644 on: July 12, 2020, 12:36:41 PM »

The democratic ticket will NOT be two white septuagenarians. Not in 2020

I really like Warren, but I've never treated her as a serious choice throughout this vetting process. Pretty damn clear he was never gonna pick her, so I don't know why she keeps getting mentioned in these lists/reports other than to appease progressives that she has more than a 1% chance of being picked

I'm not so sure.  We've gotten a few reports that her and Biden have more personal chemistry that people would think given their history. Not to mention the issue of Jill Biden reportedly holding a grudge against Harris for her attacks on Biden at the first debate last summer.

Harris is still the front runner and likely whom he ultimately picks but I wouldn't necessarily be surprised if Warren gets it instead.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #3645 on: July 12, 2020, 12:44:08 PM »

Perhaps, but picking Cory Booker, for example, could have made a critical difference.

Personally, I'm not sure it would've made a difference.  I think we as political junkies have a tendency to really overestimate the ultimate impact running mates have. Unless that individual proves to be a disaster in the way Sarah Palin.  Ultimately it falls on whomever the nominee is to have the skill and talent to win.

NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3646 on: July 12, 2020, 01:06:36 PM »

Duckworth and Rice have jumped ahead of Warren on betting markets, with Harris still the overwhelming favorite.

https://www.predictit.org/markets/detail/5883/Who-will-win-the-2020-Democratic-vice-presidential-nomination
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #3647 on: July 12, 2020, 01:22:52 PM »

If he wants to go the Hillary route and (foolishly) bank on the support of Black Americans just because he was O's VP,  then so be it. But representation matters. Hillary learned that the hard way with reduced AfAm support after choosing milquetoast Tim Kaine of all people.

Personally, I'm not sure it would've made a difference.  I think we as political junkies have a tendency to really overestimate the ultimate impact running mates have. Unless that individual proves to be a disaster in the way Sarah Palin.  Ultimately it falls on whomever the nominee is to have the skill and talent to win.

Yeah, this is another one of those contradictions we like to do here.

"It really doesn't matter who the running mate is, anti-Trump fervor is very strong. Also, Tim Kaine cost HRC the election and Biden must pick ___Insert your favorite ___ because it's simply the only way"
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3648 on: July 12, 2020, 04:51:09 PM »

Being real for a sec?

I suspect it will come down to how well his VP choice is received and how well she performs in the office. If she demonstrates over the first 2 or 3 years that she's ready to take over, I'd say it's 50/50 whether Biden runs for a second term. If she's Quayle/Cheney/Edwards/Palin 2.0, Biden probably runs again.

Cheney was a pretty damn good VP. Also in 2008, Biden was selected with the notion he wouldn't run in 2016 according to Double Down: Game Change 2012 by Mark Halperin and John Heileman. The Obama administration was surprised when Biden attempted to hire Kevin Sheekey to be his Chief of Staff, but it was vetoed by Obama world because they considered Sheekey to be a leaker and not trustworthy.  
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3649 on: July 12, 2020, 05:19:22 PM »

Warren is not gonna be VP. I'd bet that Duckworth is a better bet than her, and probably even Demings/Bottoms to a lesser degree. Will not be Rice, I think we all can agree
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 143 144 145 [146] 147 148 149 150 151 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies