Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 06:11:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 84 85 86 [87] 88 89 90 91 92 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 362588 times)
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2150 on: June 04, 2020, 01:46:56 PM »

They are talking about politically experienced. Rice has never run for office before. When was the last time a VP candidate’s first run for office was as VP? Has that happened ever?
Sargent Shriver in '72 had never held elected office. He's the only one in recent memory, though both H.W. Bush and Cheney had been out of elected office for more than a decade when they became VP. There's also Stockdale and LeMay, if you want to count either of them as major VP candidates.

Yeah I edited it when I thought of him, Henry Wallace in 1940 too. But the point is it’s been a long time. Also 1972 was exceptional circumstances.

I'd just like to point out 72 didn't necessarily go well and Shriver was an emergency "our original pick ended up being mentally ill" pick. I guess you can argue the only non experienced VP candidate who ended up being successful is Papi Bush because he was added to balance the ticket with FoPo experience a difference between Bush and Susan Rice is Bush had made a name for himself in the primaries in 1980 by winning Iowa and few other states. Susan Rice isn't very well known.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #2151 on: June 04, 2020, 01:57:32 PM »

They are talking about politically experienced. Rice has never run for office before. When was the last time a VP candidate’s first run for office was as VP? Has that happened ever?
Sargent Shriver in '72 had never held elected office. He's the only one in recent memory, though both H.W. Bush and Cheney had been out of elected office for more than a decade when they became VP. There's also Stockdale and LeMay, if you want to count either of them as major VP candidates.

Yeah I edited it when I thought of him, Henry Wallace in 1940 too. But the point is it’s been a long time. Also 1972 was exceptional circumstances.

I'd just like to point out 72 didn't necessarily go well and Shriver was an emergency "our original pick ended up being mentally ill" pick. I guess you can argue the only non experienced VP candidate who ended up being successful is Papi Bush because he was added to balance the ticket with FoPo experience a difference between Bush and Susan Rice is Bush had made a name for himself in the primaries in 1980 by winning Iowa and few other states. Susan Rice isn't very well known.

Bush had also been in Congress and run for the senate twice. Rice’s issue isn’t just that she’s never held elected office it’s that she’s never even run.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2152 on: June 04, 2020, 01:59:39 PM »

If we could appoint someone Vice President, I'd probably pick Susan Rice.

But alas, electability is important. And so is experience.

And the only person who fits both is Kamala Harris.

Biden/Harris 2020

How is Rice, someone who was at Cabinet level for 8 years, less experienced than a former state AG who has only been in the Senate minority for 4? How is Harris "the only person" who is both electable (this is questionable in her case anyway) and sufficiently experienced?

Rice is not less experienced, she is politically damaging to Biden's electoral prospects.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2153 on: June 04, 2020, 02:03:38 PM »

To play devil's advocate re: KLB, does experience really even matter anymore? Let's say, worst case scenario, Biden serves, say, 6-12 months and then dies. Serving as VP for even that long would prepare her for the job, I'd think? Even if Biden never serves a day as President, Trump has proven that effective governance is more of a product of those around the President than the President themselves? KLB with Biden's cabinet and inner circle strikes me as a significantly more comforting scenario.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #2154 on: June 04, 2020, 03:05:49 PM »

To play devil's advocate re: KLB, does experience really even matter anymore? Let's say, worst case scenario, Biden serves, say, 6-12 months and then dies. Serving as VP for even that long would prepare her for the job, I'd think? Even if Biden never serves a day as President, Trump has proven that effective governance is more of a product of those around the President than the President themselves? KLB with Biden's cabinet and inner circle strikes me as a significantly more comforting scenario.

Even if a president is surrounded by experts they still have to make the ultimate decision.  It was Trumpvirus' decision to ignore expert reports about the coronavirus and publicly downplay the threat.

KLB is untested on the national stage and has never faced the national right wing attack machine.  How is she going to handle that?  How is she going to get up to speed so quickly on matters of federal policy and foreign policy when she has no background in those areas?  Journalists and citizens will be asking questions during the campaign.  And if the ticket wins she will have to jump headlong into them immediately in the midst of multiple crises.  There is a huge risk of her looking out of her depth in front of the entire country when our nominee is 77 years old and we are in the middle of a national crisis.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2155 on: June 04, 2020, 03:21:31 PM »

Even if a president is surrounded by experts they still have to make the ultimate decision.  It was Trumpvirus' decision to ignore expert reports about the coronavirus and publicly downplay the threat.

KLB is untested on the national stage and has never faced the national right wing attack machine.  How is she going to handle that?  How is she going to get up to speed so quickly on matters of federal policy and foreign policy when she has no background in those areas?  Journalists and citizens will be asking questions during the campaign.  And if the ticket wins she will have to jump headlong into them immediately in the midst of multiple crises.  There is a huge risk of her looking out of her depth in front of the entire country when our nominee is 77 years old and we are in the middle of a national crisis.

I see your point, though I still contend that I would rather have a President who "learns on the job" than one who impulsively makes misinformed decisions the way the current one does. Not to say that KLB *should* be the pick, but in the event that she is, I trust her judgement, Biden's judgement, and the team around the two of them to run the federal government efficiently.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2156 on: June 04, 2020, 03:46:07 PM »

Perez on Biden's timeline:

https://www.witn.com/content/news/DNC-Chair-Tom-Perez-discusses-Joe-Bidens-vice-presidential-pick-571018761.html

Perez said the former vice president plans to make a decision on his vice president in late July to early August.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2157 on: June 04, 2020, 06:28:20 PM »

Chris Cillizza's latest rankings:

1. Kamala Harris
2. Keisha Lance Bottoms
3. Val Demings
4. Elizabeth Warren
5. Michelle Lujan Grisham
6. Susan Rice
7. Stacey Abrams
8. Tammy Duckworth
9. Amy Klobuchar
10. Gina Raimondo
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2158 on: June 04, 2020, 06:37:57 PM »

How is KLB not electable and  experience? Some states are smaller than Atlanta
The population of Atlanta is around 500,000. It's smaller than Wyoming.

While the city of Atlanta proper has only about 500K residents, it's the core of a metro area with almost 6 million people and a major transportation, communications, and financial center.  In addition to dealing with strictly city issues, the mayor of Atlanta has to work with the patchwork of other city and county governments in the metro, as well as a (usually adversarial) state government.  KLB has done a good job of this; if nothing else, she seems to be more respected outside the city limits than her recent predecessors have been.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2159 on: June 04, 2020, 07:32:07 PM »

QUEEN DUCK finally getting a little boost in the odds today.  Up to 5.3% above Klobuchar and Whitmer.  She'll likely pass Abrams soon once the last die-hards finally accept that she's unqualified for the VP and kinda weird and annoying.
whale
Rookie

« Reply #2160 on: June 04, 2020, 07:33:13 PM »

Why is KLB being considered but Lori Lightfoot, mayor of Chicago, is not? Is it just because Lightfoot has been mayor for only 1 year while KLB has been mayor for 3?
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #2161 on: June 04, 2020, 08:51:43 PM »

Why is KLB being considered but Lori Lightfoot, mayor of Chicago, is not? Is it just because Lightfoot has been mayor for only 1 year while KLB has been mayor for 3?
Um, why should Lightfoot be considered lol?
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2162 on: June 04, 2020, 08:53:34 PM »

KLB endorsed and supported Biden when he was down and out and is the mayor of a city in one of the 2020 battlegrounds.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2163 on: June 04, 2020, 09:38:18 PM »

Welp, there's the answer to my post right above this. I think Rice, Whitmer, Klobuchar, and Abrams are unlikely at this point. So down to KLB, Demings, Harris, and Warren?

No, this doesn't prove anything about who else might be in contention.  On your earlier question about whether Duckworth was being vetted, as mentioned earlier in the thread, Durbin said that she was being interviewed: https://www.chicagotribune.com/politics/ct-tammy-duckworth-joe-biden-richard-durbin-20200515-gxj2pn6jnffrdncazxi4gon3ji-story.html
and then shortly thereafter, Duckworth was asked if she's being vetted and she dodged: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDP9z3YYX1I

I'd caution people against jumping to the conclusion that every leak of several names is meant to be the complete list of everyone who's being vetted.  That's what people kept assuming four years ago, and it was like "Here's a list of 4 people being vetted.  Oh, now here's one with 5 names that has 2 new ones but one name dropped off.  I guess that means that person's out."  No, that's not how it works.  Not every list of names is going to be complete.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2164 on: June 04, 2020, 09:47:15 PM »

Val Demings is a pretty interesting option.

Biden can try to have cake and eat it too.

On one hand, Val Demings can say that she understands the systematic racism in the police force, and on the other hand, she can say that she wouldn't be soft on crime.

That said, it's a high risk, high reward option.

Anything controversial that happens under her watch (whether her fault or not) would be scrutinized.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2165 on: June 05, 2020, 12:18:26 AM »

I’m warming up to Keisha....... we’ll see
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2166 on: June 05, 2020, 12:21:39 AM »

Meh

What does she bring to the ticket that Val Damings or Harris doesn't?
politics_king
United States

« Reply #2167 on: June 05, 2020, 12:46:00 AM »

Meh

She's Mayor of Atlanta which is the biggest Airport Hub in America, she's shown tremendous leadership in the last few months, she's an early Biden supporter from Last Summer, she has no baggage from a past in prosecution, she's been extremely tough on her Police Department and shown she'll discipline when necessary and from at Battleground State. I like Harris & Demings too, any of those 3 I support along with Warren & Duckworth. I would say those are the Top 3 right now Harris, KLB, Demings, Warren & Duckworth. Those 5 are all extremely good choices.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2168 on: June 05, 2020, 12:59:35 AM »

Meh

She's Mayor of Atlanta which is the biggest Airport Hub in America, she's shown tremendous leadership in the last few months, she's an early Biden supporter from Last Summer, she has no baggage from a past in prosecution, she's been extremely tough on her Police Department and shown she'll discipline when necessary and from at Battleground State. I like Harris & Demings too, any of those 3 I support along with Warren & Duckworth. I would say those are the Top 3 right now Harris, KLB, Demings, Warren & Duckworth. Those 5 are all extremely good choices.

...and that's exactly the problem

Trump will say that she is weak on crime and juxtapose her with looters and arsonists.

On the other hand, Trump would be hard-pressed to say that a former chief of police or a former prosecutor is weak on crime.

What you called a "baggage" is actually an asset.

Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #2169 on: June 05, 2020, 01:42:27 AM »

Meh

Trump will say that she is weak on crime and juxtapose her with looters and arsonists.

On the other hand, Trump would be hard-pressed to say that a former chief of police or a former prosecutor is weak on crime.

Trump will say literally any Democrat is soft on crime. That’s part of his standard attack/endorsement tweet in down ballot races.

He said it, unironically, about Doug Jones in 2017. The US Attorney who literally prosecuted KKK members.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #2170 on: June 05, 2020, 01:43:39 AM »

Welp, there's the answer to my post right above this. I think Rice, Whitmer, Klobuchar, and Abrams are unlikely at this point. So down to KLB, Demings, Harris, and Warren?

No, this doesn't prove anything about who else might be in contention.  On your earlier question about whether Duckworth was being vetted, as mentioned earlier in the thread, Durbin said that she was being interviewed: https://www.chicagotribune.com/politics/ct-tammy-duckworth-joe-biden-richard-durbin-20200515-gxj2pn6jnffrdncazxi4gon3ji-story.html
and then shortly thereafter, Duckworth was asked if she's being vetted and she dodged: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDP9z3YYX1I

I'd caution people against jumping to the conclusion that every leak of several names is meant to be the complete list of everyone who's being vetted.  That's what people kept assuming four years ago, and it was like "Here's a list of 4 people being vetted.  Oh, now here's one with 5 names that has 2 new ones but one name dropped off.  I guess that means that person's out."  No, that's not how it works.  Not every list of names is going to be complete.

This.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2171 on: June 05, 2020, 01:54:24 AM »

Meh

Trump will say literally any Democrat is soft on crime. That’s part of his standard attack/endorsement tweet in down ballot races.

He said it, unironically, about Doug Jones in 2017. The US Attorney who literally prosecuted KKK members.

The point is, the attack won't stick to someone like Val Damings
politics_king
United States

« Reply #2172 on: June 05, 2020, 01:58:25 AM »

Meh

You honestly can't go wrong right now as the Biden campaign choosing between Harris, KLB, Demings, Warren or Duckworth. That should be the Top 5 and the ones he's seriously vetting right now. Harris has the attack dog quality you look for in a VP who will go after the President hard, KLB has this momentum and really taking the bull by the horns, Demings are her background in law enforcement is a huge plus, Warren is a hit with the Progressives and Duckworth is a sleeper pick who I don't see as a politician with a flaw that would come to haunt her.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2173 on: June 05, 2020, 02:18:29 AM »

Meh

You honestly can't go wrong right now as the Biden campaign choosing between Harris, KLB, Demings, Warren or Duckworth. That should be the Top 5 and the ones he's seriously vetting right now. Harris has the attack dog quality you look for in a VP who will go after the President hard, KLB has this momentum and really taking the bull by the horns, Demings are her background in law enforcement is a huge plus, Warren is a hit with the Progressives and Duckworth is a sleeper pick who I don't see as a politician with a flaw that would come to haunt her.

You have to ask what each candidate adds to the ticket.

Lance Bottoms doesn't add anything to the ticker that Val Damings or Harris doesn't.

Warren is such a hit with liberals that they didn't even vote for her during the primary. Maybe she's popular with native Americans, LMAO.

Duckworth, well she might be popular with the military vote, but the military isn't exactly a big issue this election.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #2174 on: June 05, 2020, 04:36:00 AM »

Meh

You have to ask what each candidate adds to the ticket.

Lance Bottoms doesn't add anything to the ticker that Val Damings or Harris doesn't.

Warren is such a hit with liberals that they didn't even vote for her during the primary. Maybe she's popular with native Americans, LMAO.

Duckworth, well she might be popular with the military vote, but the military isn't exactly a big issue this election.

Lance Bottoms has the quality of *not* having a background in law enforcement, something Harris & Demings don’t. Like it or not, it matters if the base of the party turns out to vote. Law and order voters are unlikely to vote for the Democrat anyway, so why go out of your way to appeal to them?

If she can prove she’s got the policy chops to do the job, KLB is by far and away a more palatable choice for young voters, particularly the young African Americans leading the protests across the nation.

Duckworth and Warren would both be fine choices, least of all because they’re less likely to run in 2024. Nobody wants President Harris or President Demings.
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 84 85 86 [87] 88 89 90 91 92 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies