Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 03:35:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 361063 times)
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1300 on: May 11, 2020, 11:57:02 AM »

Awful. Harris does not help with progressives, is not from a swing state, doesn't help appeal to Latinos, has a weak electoral record, failed miserably in the primaries, and yeah she's a cop with some smelly corruption issues swirling in her past. Polls of African American voters show they are more enthusiastic about Abrams and even Warren. Please anyone else.
Most of what you said is false.

None of the VPs except Warren would help with progressives. None of the VPs except...maybe...maybe Cortez-Masto would "help" with Latinos. "She's a cop" is a stupid insult that makes no sense when practically every female VP candidate has worked in the legal/law enforcement field.

Her campaign failed because of staff problems and Black voters thinking that a Black woman couldn't beat Trump in the general and that Biden was the "safe" choice. Black voters by and large don't hate Kamala. That's just a progressive fallacy.

Kamala would be both a great VP AND President.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1301 on: May 11, 2020, 12:14:39 PM »

Awful. Harris does not help with progressives, is not from a swing state, doesn't help appeal to Latinos, has a weak electoral record, failed miserably in the primaries, and yeah she's a cop with some smelly corruption issues swirling in her past. Polls of African American voters show they are more enthusiastic about Abrams and even Warren. Please anyone else.
I think I'll take advice from the people who won Biden the primary and not the ones who continue to scream he is a rapist, thank you very much.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1302 on: May 11, 2020, 12:46:34 PM »

Kamala is within the margin of error with Warren and Abrams, one of which ran in two dozen contests and got 10 million votes and the other who has NEVER had a bad story ran about her in MSM.

Kamala is hanging in with them after having to exit in December and a year long smear campaign. Kamala is the strongest and most battle tested. Period.
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #1303 on: May 11, 2020, 12:51:51 PM »

Has anyone thought about Tulsi Gabbard for VP? Popular among Republicans, woman of color, great biography. I know she’s not liked by a lot of the party, but isn’t that kind of the point? She would bring the other side in without alienating the base.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #1304 on: May 11, 2020, 12:53:21 PM »

A lot of this is nothing more than trial balloons that camapigns do. For Harris you can expect the questions of her staff to come up because they did not help her one bit when she ran. Having her campaign based in Baltimore instead of Oakland was nothing more than malpractice. Makes sense she would have people leak friendly things about correcting the problem.

For Klobuchar, expect articles about former staffers saying she wasn't too bad to her along with promises from current staffers about treating people more nicely as of late. It will mention how Biden is weighing the pros and cons of someone who former staffers on the record say can be abusive with a politician who is very skilled and wins by large margins in a swingy state.

For Whitmer, expect praise of her leadership during COVID 19 along with questions if 1.5 years as Governor is enough experience. You'll probably hear about Biden having great chemistry with her as well as concern she has zero foreign policy credentials or D.C. background. You'll hear hope that she will connect better than any running mate along with concern she won't enthuse the base.

Warren it will be about her political skills (the DNA test was beyond extremely dumb). She is the smartest person in the room but will she connect with anyone beyond those with graduate degrees?

The point is that Politico Kamala Harris article was part of the normal vetting process, not a sign that Biden is choosing her or not.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1305 on: May 11, 2020, 12:54:40 PM »

I would say of the names I see repeatedly mentioned, my personal ranking would be:

S Tier

Elizabeth Warren

A Tier

Kamala Harris

B Tier

Catherine Cortez-Masto
Val Demings
Tammy Duckworth
Tammy Baldwin
Gretchen Whitmer

C Tier

Stacey Abrams
Amy Klobuchar
Susan Rice
Keisha Lance Bottoms

Has anyone thought about Tulsi Gabbard for VP? Popular among Republicans, woman of color, great biography. I know she’s not liked by a lot of the party, but isn’t that kind of the point? She would bring the other side in without alienating the base.

hahahahahahahahahaha

no.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1306 on: May 11, 2020, 12:58:08 PM »

The base, and I mean the volunteer base of the Democratic Party who will GOTV are Black women. We need to cater to them not weak kneed Republicans. Screw Tulsi.
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #1307 on: May 11, 2020, 01:08:13 PM »

The base, and I mean the volunteer base of the Democratic Party who will GOTV are Black women. We need to cater to them not weak kneed Republicans. Screw Tulsi.
When you put it that way I totally agree. What I don’t get it what’s the specific argument for Harris? I am possibly her biggest critic in the Democratic Party, and even I thought the “cop“ meme was an incredibly lazy tactic to use against her. That said, she does have a record that can be easily Weaponized, and I genuinely don’t see what she brings that Abrams or even rice does not
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #1308 on: May 11, 2020, 01:08:30 PM »

We actually don’t need to cater to them. They got their choice of nominee already. Throw a bone to another important part of the party so we can have a united front.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1309 on: May 11, 2020, 01:19:07 PM »

LOL!
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1310 on: May 11, 2020, 01:23:29 PM »

S Tier
[vacant]

A Tier
Amy Klobuchar — does no harm, maybe helps you in the Midwest
Tammy Duckworth — seems fine
Stacey Abrams — inexperienced but checks demographic boxes, compelling speaker in a way other options aren't

B Tier
Catherine Cortez-Masto — generic D, from a small swing state
Gretchen Whitmer — intriguing option, but I don't think the current polling on lockdown popularity will hold, and she's tied herself to that more than anyone else
Kamala Harris — downsides are obvious here

C Tier
Val Demings — a pick being pushed on the assumption that Floridians know who she is (they don't)
Susan Rice — Benghazi
Elizabeth Warren — lol
Keisha Lance Bottoms — who?
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1311 on: May 11, 2020, 02:30:35 PM »

We actually don’t need to cater to them. They got their choice of nominee already. Throw a bone to another important part of the party so we can have a united front.
Hmm. Biden won white voters in the Midwest and I’ve seen folks be persistent that it be a folksy, authentic, aw shucks, gee golly wow white woman from Winnetka, Minnesota so....

Kamala has experience turning out and serving constituencies of Black, AAPI, and Latino* people (*votes Biden struggled w/ in some states). Kamala should be the pick.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1312 on: May 11, 2020, 02:31:43 PM »

Polls show 80% of Dems don't care about the race or identity of the VP nominee. Just pick the best candidate!
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1313 on: May 11, 2020, 02:34:09 PM »

Polls show 80% of Dems don't care about the race or identity of the VP nominee. Just pick the best candidate!
Black turnout goes up with Black candidates. They may not "care" if the VP is Black but they'll be more motivated to vote if it is.
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #1314 on: May 11, 2020, 02:36:45 PM »

For me the only options are Abrams, Warren, or Duckworth
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1315 on: May 11, 2020, 02:38:24 PM »

I don't think she has Obama level skills with turnout though.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #1316 on: May 11, 2020, 02:42:39 PM »

S Tier
[vacant]

A Tier
Stacey Abrams — inexperienced but checks demographic boxes, compelling speaker in a way other options aren't

B Tier
Gretchen Whitmer — intriguing option, but I don't think the current polling on lockdown popularity will hold, and she's tied herself to that more than anyone else

C Tier
Val Demings — a pick being pushed on the assumption that Floridians know who she is (they don't)
Susan Rice — Benghazi
Elizabeth Warren — lol

I'm assuming S Tier is vacant because you're forgetting Colleen Hanabusa.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1317 on: May 11, 2020, 02:43:07 PM »

I don't think she has Obama level skills with turnout though.

Politicians like Obama come once every 50 years. Comparing everyone to him, like they did before 2008 with JFK, is counterproductive.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1318 on: May 11, 2020, 02:49:06 PM »

S Tier:
Elizabeth Warren

A Tier:
Kamala Harris

B Tier:
Catherine Cortez-Masto
Amy Klobuchar
Gretchen Whitmer

C Tier:
Keisha Lance-Bottoms

D Tier:
Stacey Abrams
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #1319 on: May 11, 2020, 02:55:47 PM »

Hmm. Biden won white voters in the Midwest and I’ve seen folks be persistent that it be a folksy, authentic, aw shucks, gee golly wow white woman from Winnetka, Minnesota so....

Kamala has experience turning out and serving constituencies of Black, AAPI, and Latino* people (*votes Biden struggled w/ in some states). Kamala should be the pick.

I’m pretty anti-VP Klobuchar as well. Biden occupies the “working-class Moderate” lane already, no need to double down on that with the running-mate selection.

He needs to throw a bone to the progressives who feel shut out of the process by Biden and whoever he might pick to “succeed him”. That means a Tammy Baldwin or Liz Warren.

And Kamala’s electoral record is pretty unremarkable, running behind Jerry Brown in both her elections to AG. That’s not to say Warren’s is, but I’m not holding her’s up as why she should be the pick.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1320 on: May 11, 2020, 03:00:52 PM »

S Tier:
Catherine Cortez-Masto

A Tier:
Kamala Harris
Gretchen Whitmer
Val Demings

B Tier:
Amy Klobuchar
Hilda Solis
Michelle Lujan-Grisham

C Tier:
Keisha Lance-Bottoms
Sally Yates

D Tier:
Stacey Abrams
Elizabeth Warren
Bomster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.13, S: -7.95

P P
« Reply #1321 on: May 11, 2020, 03:04:50 PM »

S Tier
[vacant]

A Tier

B Tier

C Tier
Susan Rice — Benghazi
Elizabeth Warren — lol
S Tier:
Barack Obama in a wig
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #1322 on: May 11, 2020, 03:20:48 PM »

Here, folx:

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=373159.0
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #1323 on: May 11, 2020, 03:36:59 PM »

I’m pretty anti-VP Klobuchar as well. Biden occupies the “working-class Moderate” lane already, no need to double down on that with the running-mate selection.

He needs to throw a bone to the progressives who feel shut out of the process by Biden and whoever he might pick to “succeed him”. That means a Tammy Baldwin or Liz Warren.

And Kamala’s electoral record is pretty unremarkable, running behind Jerry Brown in both her elections to AG. That’s not to say Warren’s is, but I’m not holding her’s up as why she should be the pick.
Picking Tammy Baldwin would jeopardize her seat and we shouldn't do that. Also, as the primaries have shown, most progressives live in cities and/or states that are already heavily Democratic. It wouldn't have an effect for Biden in the electoral college. It would just increase his popular vote margin.

I would be mostly fine with Warren but she is 70 years old. So it wouldn't be the best look having two White 70+ year olds being the "leaders" of the Democratic Party.

Anyways, beyond everything, what would your reaction be if Biden chose Harris to be his VP?
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1324 on: May 11, 2020, 03:39:03 PM »

S tier:
Ayanna Pressley - Literally the only thing wrong with her is her lack of experience.

A tier:
Stacey Abrams - a very compelling, confident figure in the party who helps a lot. Only downside is that she's a bit too overconfident and lack of experience.
Catherine Cortez Masto - Relatively inoffensive, checks boxes
Tammy Duckworth - I don't see anything wrong, but I don't see anything that would make her stand out.

B tier:
Elizabeth Warren - I'm sure the average Bernie supporter is over Sexismgate, but I'm concerned with her inability to motivate new voters.
Kamala Harris - the benefits are obvious, but very high-risk and clashes with Biden's unity message
Val Demings - Generic D
Michelle Lujan Grisham - See: CCM

C Tier:
Susan Rice - lol
Amy Klobuchar - Strong personality, but does nothing for the ticket.
Keisha Lance Bottoms - Huh

Lol:
Tulsi Gabbard
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies