Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 08:22:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 363636 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1000 on: April 28, 2020, 10:20:53 AM »

Duckworth says she’s honored to be in the mix:

https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20200427/duckworth-honored-to-be-in-mix-for-vice-presidential-nominee

"I have served at the pleasure of a president once before," said Duckworth, who was picked by President Barack Obama to be assistant secretary of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. She also served in the Illinois National Guard and lost both legs while a helicopter pilot in the Iraq War.

"I've spent my entire life in service to this country. Of course, I would take any invitation to serve at the pleasure of a president very seriously. That said, I have the job that I love in the U.S. Senate representing the great state of Illinois.

"I am honored that my name is even in the mix. I think it's a good message for working moms everywhere," and also positive for Asian Americans and people with disabilities, said Duckworth, who's included on lists from CNN to Politico.

"If it goes no further than this, I'm already very proud that I get to represent all of those interest groups who are so often underrepresented."
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1001 on: April 28, 2020, 10:42:07 AM »

Why do people keep posting polls here? These are clearly all just name recognition, and/or in this case Ohioans' well-known hatred of anything Michigan Wink

Is it really that unreasonable to think that the vice president should be a person that most people have heard of?

Who was the last really obscure VP pick who ended up adding anything to ticket?
Cheney added a brain
Cheney definitely was not obscure, he was Secretary of Defense for GHW Bush's entire term.
And Whitmer is a current governor, and Cortez Masto, Duckworth, and Baldwin are all current Senators — all a good deal less obscure than "faceless bureaucrat who last held public office twenty years ago"

The Gulf War rendered Cheney someone decidedly not faceless bureaucrat in the public mind. Besides, he was well-known and regarded in GOP circles.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #1002 on: April 28, 2020, 10:43:23 AM »

Politico says that the Biden inner circle is divided on the relative merits of picking an African American running mate and picking someone who’s ideologically on the left:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/28/biden-vice-president-2020-elections-212555

Joe Biden’s advisers and allies have become torn over whether it is more important to choose an African American or a progressive running mate.

While the two aren’t necessarily mutually exclusive, there is an ongoing debate about whether Biden “has the black vote locked up” or “whether the bigger need we have is to put someone left-leaning” on the ticket, a strategist familiar with discussions said.

The story also notes the lobbying efforts going on, including Abrams calling up Dem. power borkers and asking them to tell the Biden people that she should be veep:

Stacey Abrams, a former Georgia lawmaker and unsuccessful candidate for governor, has been privately calling Democratic power brokers, asking them to tell Biden campaign officials that she should be vice president, according to multiple labor leaders familiar with the discussions.

Elizabeth Warren is cranking up her small-dollar machine. The Biden campaign has noticed that in media appearances, Warren, the progressive senator from Massachusetts, consistently plugged JoeBiden.com and urged people to donate — an appeal that a Biden adviser said did not come from the campaign.

There’s also an oppo war going on:

With the Biden campaign’s vetting process soon to begin, supporters of potential running mates are also getting involved: opposition research that was shelved at the end of the presidential primary is now starting to recirculate in an effort to stealthily drag down prospective vice presidential rivals. Harris, Warren and to a lesser extent Klobuchar — who gained traction relatively late in the campaign — all faced intense scrutiny during the presidential primary. Now, in conversations with reporters, Democrats working to hobble them are reupping old criticisms about their records.

“There are definitely internal and external battles over who’s going to leak the most s#!t on people,” one Democratic strategist said.
Stacey Abrams is so desperate, ugh.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1003 on: April 28, 2020, 10:47:57 AM »

Electoral concerns aside, Abrams has shown increasingly poor judgment and questionable character with her overt campaigning for VP.

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1004 on: April 28, 2020, 11:04:11 AM »

Electoral concerns aside, Abrams has shown increasingly poor judgment and questionable character with her overt campaigning for VP.

It's getting embarrasing
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #1005 on: April 28, 2020, 11:10:29 AM »

Duckworth says she’s honored to be in the mix:

https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20200427/duckworth-honored-to-be-in-mix-for-vice-presidential-nominee

"I have served at the pleasure of a president once before," said Duckworth, who was picked by President Barack Obama to be assistant secretary of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. She also served in the Illinois National Guard and lost both legs while a helicopter pilot in the Iraq War.

"I've spent my entire life in service to this country. Of course, I would take any invitation to serve at the pleasure of a president very seriously. That said, I have the job that I love in the U.S. Senate representing the great state of Illinois.

"I am honored that my name is even in the mix. I think it's a good message for working moms everywhere," and also positive for Asian Americans and people with disabilities, said Duckworth, who's included on lists from CNN to Politico.

"If it goes no further than this, I'm already very proud that I get to represent all of those interest groups who are so often underrepresented."

Classy statement by Duckworth.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #1006 on: April 28, 2020, 11:21:35 AM »

Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer said Monday she is not actively lobbying to be selected as Joe Biden’s running mate, breaking with other much-discussed Democratic vice presidential contenders who have more aggressively advocated for a spot on the party’s ticket.

“I mean, I’m not running for anything,” Whitmer said, adding: “I just know that, you know, you don’t run for that. That is a selection of the top of the ticket, and everyone else should be just busy doing their jobs.”
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/27/whitmer-says-she-wont-campaign-biden-vice-president-vp-211070

I'm seeing some shade from Whitmer in these remarks.  Cause someone is running for "that."

What do you mean by that?

The article that Mr. Morden posted right after my post notes:

Stacey Abrams, a former Georgia lawmaker and unsuccessful candidate for governor, has been privately calling Democratic power brokers, asking them to tell Biden campaign officials that she should be vice president, according to multiple labor leaders familiar with the discussions.

She's also been blatantly campaigning in the media like this is American Idol, lol.  

OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1007 on: April 28, 2020, 11:24:42 AM »

Look, I like Abrams but she’s simply doing too much here.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1008 on: April 28, 2020, 11:42:48 AM »

Stacey Abrams is thirsty as hell. Period.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1009 on: April 28, 2020, 11:45:47 AM »

If she doesn't get selected, Kemp's going to have a field day with this in 2022. Not good!
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1010 on: April 28, 2020, 11:48:07 AM »

Stacey Abrams is a loose cannon. Too much of a risk.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #1011 on: April 28, 2020, 11:48:46 AM »

Politico says that the Biden inner circle is divided on the relative merits of picking an African American running mate and picking someone who’s ideologically on the left:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/28/biden-vice-president-2020-elections-212555

Joe Biden’s advisers and allies have become torn over whether it is more important to choose an African American or a progressive running mate.

While the two aren’t necessarily mutually exclusive, there is an ongoing debate about whether Biden “has the black vote locked up” or “whether the bigger need we have is to put someone left-leaning” on the ticket, a strategist familiar with discussions said.

The story also notes the lobbying efforts going on, including Abrams calling up Dem. power borkers and asking them to tell the Biden people that she should be veep:

Elizabeth Warren is cranking up her small-dollar machine. The Biden campaign has noticed that in media appearances, Warren, the progressive senator from Massachusetts, consistently plugged JoeBiden.com and urged people to donate — an appeal that a Biden adviser said did not come from the campaign.

There’s also an oppo war going on:

With the Biden campaign’s vetting process soon to begin, supporters of potential running mates are also getting involved: opposition research that was shelved at the end of the presidential primary is now starting to recirculate in an effort to stealthily drag down prospective vice presidential rivals. Harris, Warren and to a lesser extent Klobuchar — who gained traction relatively late in the campaign — all faced intense scrutiny during the presidential primary. Now, in conversations with reporters, Democrats working to hobble them are reupping old criticisms about their records.

“There are definitely internal and external battles over who’s going to leak the most s#!t on people,” one Democratic strategist said.

Looks like its between Harris and Warren ugh bummer I was starting to warm up to Whitmer anyway I hope he picks Warren but id vote for him if he picked Harris
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1012 on: April 28, 2020, 11:49:39 AM »

The chaos agent in me wants it to be Warren.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1013 on: April 28, 2020, 11:56:44 AM »

If she doesn't get selected, Kemp's going to have a field day with this in 2022. Not good!
I don't want her to run for Governor again at this point!
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1014 on: April 28, 2020, 11:57:30 AM »

I thought you wanted Biden to win? Are you back on our side?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1015 on: April 28, 2020, 12:00:39 PM »

YouGov: Michelle Obama has the best favourable ratings among all the VP candidates.

Abrams and Klobuchar are also on the positive side.
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #1016 on: April 28, 2020, 12:08:26 PM »

I don't think it's impossible for her to beat to Kemp in 2022 (just by the nature of Georgia's electorate in 2022), but the veepstakes certainly jeopardizes her grip on becoming the Democratic nominee. Another Democratic candidate could exploit her seeking the VP slot in the primary.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1017 on: April 28, 2020, 12:18:14 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2020, 03:19:23 PM by Everything Burns... »

Is it really even a “side“ if it’s just a handful of entitled ManChildren having a temper-tantrum?  I mean, the Bernie or Busters are collectively the political equivalent of a fruit fly and even that is probably giving them too much credit.  In any case, unlike you, Sawx is...you know...an actual progressive, so I’m sure he’s still going to do the right thing on Election Day.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1018 on: April 28, 2020, 12:20:09 PM »

Don't know if others brought it up but Sinema to try and flip Arizona?

Warren is gonna be Veep, and if not Warren, Klobuchar,  Pressley and Kennedy are prepping to run for Warren's seat in case Markey defeats Kennedy

You basically say the same thing every six posts with no stitch of proof or anything new to contribute. What gives?

I HAVE PLENTY OF PROOF:1. Warren has already said yes to the Veepstakes. 2. there was reporting that Elizabeth Warren has been selected as Veep. 3. Back in 2016, Biden said if he was running for Prez, he would select Warren. 4. Harris said she doesnt want to move her family out of SF. 6. Pressley and Kennedy are gearing up for both MASS, in case Markey beats Kennedy
Liz would be able to get more of her vision done as Secretary of Treasury rather than VP

Dr Barb Bollier and Gov Kelly are senior females that Warren connects with. There was no problem with Hilary whom ran for the Dem nomination at age 70 in 2016. Warren is the only one to accept the position of Veep, she said yes, while others said no.

Harris and Whitmer have denied interest. Harris says she loves her job and so did Whitmer. Biden isnt taking Val Demings or Abrams, voters dont know whom they are
Klobuchar kind of leaked it she said "join the ticket" when she was endorsing Biden.
jacobmeteorite
jafcontact
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1019 on: April 28, 2020, 12:51:10 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2020, 12:56:56 PM by jacobmeteorite »

Rooting for Catherine Cortez Masto! Go CCM!

Being Head of the DSCC is no small feat! The woman is overseeing the strategic and financial efforts to take back the Senate. People may say she has no personality, but she's young, quick, smart, media-trained, sits on the Banking Committee and is a progressive on banking issues (Warren approved).

And maybe people say her being light skinned and not speaking Spanish will hurt her with Latinos. As a 28 year-old Latino gay man from California, I'm so proud of what she's accomplished. When you come from a line of people who risked everything to give their children a better shot at a future, and your grandchild becomes the first Latina elected Senator, and possibly VP? There are so many Latino families who would be so proud of her story. She's one of us, and is absolutely kicking ass.

She would put Arizona and possibly even Texas into play.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #1020 on: April 28, 2020, 01:55:04 PM »

Rooting for Catherine Cortez Masto! Go CCM!

Being Head of the DSCC is no small feat! The woman is overseeing the strategic and financial efforts to take back the Senate. People may say she has no personality, but she's young, quick, smart, media-trained, sits on the Banking Committee and is a progressive on banking issues (Warren approved).

And maybe people say her being light skinned and not speaking Spanish will hurt her with Latinos. As a 28 year-old Latino gay man from California, I'm so proud of what she's accomplished. When you come from a line of people who risked everything to give their children a better shot at a future, and your grandchild becomes the first Latina elected Senator, and possibly VP? There are so many Latino families who would be so proud of her story. She's one of us, and is absolutely kicking ass.

She would put Arizona and possibly even Texas into play.
The average age of the U.S. House of Representatives is just shy of 58 years old. In the Senate, it's nearly 63 years.

CCM is 56 years old. In what world, is a 56 year old considered "young" lol? Yeah, she's much younger than Biden but she's not young. CCM is right at the average for a person in Congress. If she's young then so is Kamala who is the same age.

Anyways, CCM would be a very milquetoast pick. However, I do appreciate what CCM is doing with the DSCC, she's being a great senator overall.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1021 on: April 28, 2020, 02:29:25 PM »

Is it really even a “side“ if it’s just a handful of entitled ManChildren having a temper-tantrum?  I mean, the Bernie or Busters are collectively the political equivalent of a fruit fly and even that is probably giving you too much credit.  In any case, unlike you, Sawx is...you know...an actual progressive, so I’m sure he’s still going to do the right thing on Election Day.
there are so many biden psychos on this website but none are as fucking boring as you

Anyway, if you support Biden there's no reason to push for a VP who's going to dramatically undercut him like Warren
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #1022 on: April 28, 2020, 02:32:18 PM »

Is it really even a “side“ if it’s just a handful of entitled ManChildren having a temper-tantrum?  I mean, the Bernie or Busters are collectively the political equivalent of a fruit fly and even that is probably giving you too much credit.  In any case, unlike you, Sawx is...you know...an actual progressive, so I’m sure he’s still going to do the right thing on Election Day.
there are so many biden psychos on this website but none are as fucking boring as you

Anyway, if you support Biden there's no reason to push for a VP who's going to dramatically undercut him like Warren
How does Warren undercut him polling indiciates that Biden/Warren is the strongest ticket
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #1023 on: April 28, 2020, 02:45:17 PM »

Politico had a discussion with four Republican past presidential campaign managers and hosted by Tim Alberta.  When asked who Biden should choose as VP, they all said Kamala Harris.

JEFF ROE:   He has to have a balanced ticket. I understand the need to have somebody that can be president. The Democrats have to believe that; the independents have to believe it, but I think Kamala Harris is his only choice. If you believe in base politics, it’s the only choice.

BETH HANSEN: I would say it goes a little bit beyond base. What it gets him—and you said this just a second ago, Jeff—it gets you enough of the base without freaking people out. And that’s the balance. I would argue that he can’t pick somebody that it’s just going to be so clear it’s not a good fit for who he is. I mean, he does have a reputation of [chuckles] 150 years in politics, and people know who he is, and they know that he is a pragmatic, middle of the road, blue collar, centrist, populist kind of a leader. And so, picking somebody that’s just asynchronous for that, I think will not help him. But he’s got to get enough of that intensity and that base and something different. I think you do end up with Kamala Harris.

DANNY DIAZ: I think there’s an argument for Harris, but at the same time, there’s an argument for Warren.

TERRY SULLIVAN: If you want to make sure that you don’t raise any super PAC money, there’d be an argument for Warren, because there’s not a single big donor that’s going to give any super PAC money unless they’re like some total communist, because they’re all scared sh**tless of her. But I think that’s why Harris would be—she’s just left of center enough. She checks a lot of boxes. They’ve got to be able to turn that minority vote out. But most importantly, I think she’s just vanilla enough that she doesn’t scare people. And I think their campaign—and Jeff and I will disagree on this—I think their campaign needs to be very careful to not scare middle-of-the-road voters.

TIM ALBERTA: On the eve of the Michigan primary, Biden held this rally at Renaissance High School in Detroit where he had a number of high-profile surrogates come out. You know who stole the show? It wasn’t Cory Booker. It wasn’t Gretchen Whitmer. It wasn’t Joe Biden. It was Kamala Harris. And I said to people there, “Wouldn’t it have been interesting if she had been waging her presidential campaign in high school gyms in Detroit instead of coffee shops in Des Moines?” It’s just a completely different vibe for her.
https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/04/28/2020-campaign-joe-biden-trump-campaign-manager-191169

ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #1024 on: April 28, 2020, 02:53:25 PM »

Warren, Harris, and Klobuchar are the only ones in positive territory in new Ohio poll... by far

OHIO
Would you like to see ___ as Joe Biden’s VP?

Elizabeth Warren: 47% yes, 31% no (yes +16)
Kamala Harris: 41% yes, 29% no (yes +12)
Amy Klobuchar: 34% yes, 30% no (yes +4)
Stacey Abrams: 18% yes, 44% no
Gretchen Whitmer: 14% yes, 45% no
Catherine Cortez Masto: 11% yes, 48% no
Tammy Duckworth: 11% yes, 46% no
Tammy Baldwin: 10% yes, 46% no
Val Demings: 7% yes, 47% no
Michele Lujan Grisham: 6% yes, 49% no

https://www.bw.edu/Assets/community-research-institute/04-2020_ohio_poll%20release.pdf

Why do people keep posting polls here? These are clearly all just name recognition, and/or in this case Ohioans' well-known hatred of anything Michigan Wink

Is it really that unreasonable to think that the vice president should be a person that most people have heard of?

Who was the last really obscure VP pick who ended up adding anything to ticket?

The fact is, most voters haven't heard of the vast majority of politicians. I doubt Mike Pence, Tim Kaine, and Paul Ryan were known by more than half of the voters before they were selected. I can't quite find it after the nomination, but I see a few polls showing that Joe Biden had <50% name recognition in September 2007. I doubt it increased very much over the campaign, because news coverage was almost entirely directed at Barack and Hillary. Having an unknown VP pick is the norm.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies