Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 01:28:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 362671 times)
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #900 on: April 24, 2020, 06:18:29 PM »

Joe Biden will pick Karen Bass and you will all pay for your lack of faith.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #901 on: April 24, 2020, 06:22:06 PM »

https://www.wbur.org/news/2020/04/24/warren-biden-vice-president-chances
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #902 on: April 24, 2020, 06:27:12 PM »

Article has nothing of substance and just quotes some people speculating. Ignore it.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #903 on: April 24, 2020, 06:28:52 PM »

The one thing I know for sure is that picking Warren would trigger the right more than any other candidate. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing for Biden's campaign.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #904 on: April 24, 2020, 06:31:19 PM »

Article has nothing of substance and just quotes some people speculating. Ignore it.

NPR doesn’t usually publish crap. Combine these expert opinions — speculative though they may be —  with earlier reports from inside Biden’s camp that Warren is being seriously considered, and I think there’s a decent chance she really could be the pick.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #905 on: April 24, 2020, 06:35:16 PM »

I don't want Warren as VP. Age is a huge factor here.

But assuming Biden wins, it's unlikely Warren will run in 2024, and that means that Biden can avoid accusations of boosting one primary candidate over another.
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #906 on: April 24, 2020, 06:35:25 PM »

The one thing I know for sure is that picking Warren would trigger the right more than any other candidate. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing for Biden's campaign.

Unquestionably bad.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #907 on: April 24, 2020, 06:39:37 PM »

I still love her and think she'd make an excellent Vice President, but I feel that CCM is a safer choice. Kamala is like #2 on my list.

Is this the time to play it safe though? Does CCM excite... anyone? She strikes me as a VP choice that makes sense on paper, but could land with a thud.
It is not the VP nominee's job to excite people.

Certainly not, but they are almost entirely considered by what they add to a ticket's electoral chances and sometimes excitement can be part of that. With someone like Biden he could possibly use someone "exciting" on his ticket.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #908 on: April 24, 2020, 06:41:39 PM »

I don't think she's worth picking. She's too old and will do nothing to ease any potential apprehensions about Biden's age, her Senate seat will be succeeded by Baker's replacement, and for as much as she may excite some on the left there are others on the left who dislike her and waaay more on the right who do too and may become galvanized in turn.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #909 on: April 24, 2020, 07:46:43 PM »

Biden VP shortlist based on the current sources provided this is what my guess it looks like:
Main List
  • Harris
  • Klobuchar
  • Cortez-Masto
  • Abrams
  • Warren
  • Whitmer
Wildcards
  • Duckworth
  • Demings
  • Baldwin
  • Obama
This is not a list of who I want it to be, but rather think who it will be. I'd say there is a pretty good chance that the person he picks is on this list, but we never will no for sure until he announces his decision. Also, Obama means the former first lady on this list.
Former Crackhead Mike Lindell
Randall
« Reply #910 on: April 24, 2020, 07:48:49 PM »

I don't want Warren as VP. Age is a huge factor here.

But assuming Biden wins, it's unlikely Warren will run in 2024, and that means that Biden can avoid accusations of boosting one primary candidate over another.

Why do you think it's unlikely she'll run in 2024?
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #911 on: April 24, 2020, 07:56:51 PM »

When will people get it thru their head that Biden is not picking another 70+ year old for VP
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #912 on: April 24, 2020, 08:01:33 PM »

Warren will be high up on the list, but she won't get the pick. Maybe she could get Secretary of Treasury though!
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #913 on: April 24, 2020, 08:03:49 PM »
« Edited: April 24, 2020, 08:08:03 PM by Marxist-Cornpopist Thought »

On one hand, she doesn't really bring much to the ticket that Democrats don't have already. I love Warren, but I think Abrams, CCM, or even Harris bring more to the ticket.

On the other hand, this would trigger the Trumpsters and the Trumpsters-by-proxy, so I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Especially the Trumpsters-by-proxy.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #914 on: April 24, 2020, 08:05:18 PM »

I think Abrams just wants to be thought of as a contender, to add a little more gravitas to her future career prospects. There's no way she actually thinks she's going to get picked.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #915 on: April 24, 2020, 08:06:52 PM »

I don't think she's worth picking. She's too old and will do nothing to ease any potential apprehensions about Biden's age, her Senate seat will be succeeded by Baker's replacement, and for as much as she may excite some on the left there are others on the left who dislike her and waaay more on the right who do too and may become galvanized in turn.

Massachusetts would have a special election a few months after her resignation. It could be scheduled in time for the new senator to take office in January.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #916 on: April 24, 2020, 08:35:31 PM »
« Edited: April 24, 2020, 08:38:58 PM by AGA »

I really don't want Warren as Vice President. If she will help Biden win, then I will accept it, but I doubt that that is the case. I trust the Biden campaign to make the right decision.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #917 on: April 24, 2020, 08:36:09 PM »

Warren gonna be picked, the lineup of Senate favors a 50 plus seat majority and Pressley deserves the seat should Kennedy be successful in defeating Markey🤩🤩
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #918 on: April 24, 2020, 08:43:43 PM »

Stacey said f-ck what y’all have to say. She’s going to continue to lobby all she wants. Lol.

For foreign-policy experience, that’s a stretch ... Over the past week, I’ve run Abrams’s arguments for herself by a number of top Democratic politicians, aides, and other officials. I’ve gotten a lot of “huh”s and “okayyy”s, especially about what she cited to me as her foreign-policy credentials.

Oh, looks like some Democrats are throwing SHADE.

I also noticed at the start of the article the author kept saying what she was doing was "unusual."  lol.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #919 on: April 24, 2020, 08:54:00 PM »

I hope she doesn't come back to GA with her tail between her legs trying to run for Gov again like a consolation prize. Keisha Lance Bottoms should give that race a go. The stage has been quietly set by the COVID crisis and I'm seeing gravitas from her that I've never noticed before.
Lognog
United States

« Reply #920 on: April 24, 2020, 09:09:49 PM »

Sixty-seven percent of registered Latino voters would be more likely to support him if he picks Cortez Masto for the number two slot; 22% would be less likely to support him. Asked another way, 72% said they would be more likely to turn out and actually vote for Biden if he selected the Nevada senator; 17% would be less likely to do so.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/joe-biden-poll-latino-voters/

CCM is the candidate with least downsides, but a lot of pros: Critical demographic, age, senate control, experience, baggage or lack there of.

Abrams is not vice presidential material.

Tbh, sometimes having no down sides is the biggest upside for a VEEP. I mean I don't think many people switch their votes to a candidate for their running mate choice, but sometimes it can be a massive liability.

That being said I think the CCM could be just what the dems need to attract hispanic support which is going to be key in winning a demographic that did not back the presumptive nominee.

lasty, being a popular senator from Nevada is certainly a boon
Senator Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #921 on: April 24, 2020, 09:16:52 PM »

Hoping it's Liz Warren so he can falter this November.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #922 on: April 24, 2020, 10:11:11 PM »

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #923 on: April 24, 2020, 10:12:29 PM »

Elizabeth Warren.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #924 on: April 24, 2020, 10:15:30 PM »

In terms of picking black females (which is the obvious electoral choice), can I just say: who the f[inks]k is Val Demings?

I wouldn't have been able to visually pick her out of a random sampling of black women until like two weeks ago (and I'm in a #NeighboringState!). Somebody who's served for all of 3 years in a safe Democratic district ("muh federal experience!") but isn't known outside of FL (and I doubt is known outside of her own district) being considered by anybody as a nominee surely has to be simply because of demography, right?

And while we're at it: Marsha Fudge? Not surprising to see Pelosi tout her since Fudge was considering a challenge to Pelosi's Speakership a couple of years ago.

Give me a break on these B-listers. For all I find wrong with Harris, at least she's been transparent about running for President for the past 5 years (something people only seem to shirk at when actual ADOS are doing it!).
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies